What'cha Like?

Introduce yourself and babble about anything else here: my broken arm, computing, toothpaste, favourite hair salon, or even just how your day is going. It all goes in here.
Mad_Capsule

Re: What'cha Like?

Postby Mad_Capsule » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Why is it called Trainspotting?
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

maschera

Postby maschera » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 am

Ach. Who needs reasons...?

Why is it called "Trainspotting"?

The title is a reference to an episode where Begbie (Robert Carlyle) and Renton (Ewan McGregor) meet "an auld drunkard" in the disused Leith Central railway station, where they mean to use a toilet. The drunkard asks them (in a weak attempt at a joke) if they are "trainspottin." Welsh has explained that, when he was growing up in Edinburgh, there was an abandoned train station that had become a place frequented by the homeless and drug addicts. When the drug addicts were going to the station to take drugs, they would often say that they were going 'Trainspotting'. According to director Danny Boyle, "Through the late '80s in Britain, it (trainspotting) began to mean anybody who was obsessive about something trivial, and part of that is drugs. It's a very male thing. Women, they know better. It was a way in which men would conquer an area of life by just knowing everything about all the Sean Connery films."
I like to have a martini - two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table.
After four I'm under my host

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:43 am

Huh, I always thought it was cos of the veins in smackheads arms are called train lines (or possibly track lines, I dunno).
:animals-cow:

maschera

Postby maschera » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 am

I always thought dilemma had a silent 'n' :?
I like to have a martini - two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table.
After four I'm under my host

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Ahhh I was confused because I thought people that were train enthusiasts were 'trainspotters' so when I first heard about it I was like 'man, that movie must be dull! Maybe I should recommend it to my grandad' :lol:
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:Ahhh I was confused because I thought people that were train enthusiasts were 'trainspotters' so when I first heard about it I was like 'man, that movie must be dull! Maybe I should recommend it to my grandad' :lol:

They are, that's just not what the film was about.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I like it when Bookmakers get things badly wrong. This morning William Hill had Mark Cavendish at 4/11 to win today's stage of the Tour of Britain but he finished twelve minutes behind. Nice one Will.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I like it when Bookmakers get things badly wrong. This morning William Hill had Mark Cavendish at 4/11 to win today's stage of the Tour of Britain but he finished twelve minutes behind. Nice one Will.

That's not them getting it wrong, that's them making an absolute mint. The only reason the odds would be that low is if people were betting loads on him.

If for some unknown reason people were betting more money on a rank outsider to win the league than Man U or Man City (someone terrible, like Stoke, or Southampton, or Liverpool) then they'd be the favourites.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

They've also got to put low odds on who they think is most likely to win though, because if they give high odds on a favourite then they risk losing shitloads.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:24 pm

But did they put those odds out initially or did the odds get shortened over time? They may have been higher odds initially but reduced as lots of people put the bets on.
FMC Code - 1K910196

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 pm

I think the odds came out first thing this morning before the start of the stage or perhaps late yesterday evening. I doubt there had been much change to the odds if any.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Black Wizard wrote:They've also got to put low odds on who they think is most likely to win though, because if they give high odds on a favourite then they risk losing shitloads.

That's just it though, if more people put money on Sunderland to win the league, than put money on Man City, they've got to have shorter odds on Sunderland, or else they'll be out of pocket if Sunderland do win the league. Obviously that not likely to happen, but they don't gain much from risking it.

It happens at every world cup, the odds for England winning are lower in England than they are in Brazil, and vice versa. (I say every world cup, obviously just the ones England qualify for).
No matter where you put your bet on, the chance of either team winning the cup isn't changed, the odds are different because of the money going down.

Phate

Postby Phate » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Indeed, thats why if you go to horse racing the independant bookies will have better odds than national chains that are linked to betting all over the country!
Sonisphere City Ambassador - Edinburgh

Please use the following code when booking tickets through http://www2.seetickets.com/sonisphere/

SF39SC

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:32 pm

But the odds of the favourite are low to deter people from betting on that outcome so the bookmaker doesn't lose much money if that does happen. If the odds of someone winning are 4/11 nobody will make enough of a profit from betting on it so everyone is forced to go for longer odds options which are less likely to win and therefore the bookmaker wins. If they go 4/11 on someone who logically is highly unlikely to win then they risk forcing people onto the correct winner so the bookmaker loses. They only reasons anybody would put money on 4/11 is if they are incredibly stupid or if the bet is part of an accumulator, but that option wasn't possible for the bet we're discussing.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:47 pm

No, the only reason people would put a bet on a 4/11 bet is if they thought the odds were better than that :? What are the odds of Celtic winning the league this year? Bet they're not far off that, and people will still be putting money down.

Ever heard the expression "tail wagging the dog"? You've got it the wrong way around.
It's the money that affects the odds, not the odds that affect what money is put down. The bookies don't look at who they think will win and change their odds accordingly (what if they're wrong?) They look at what money has been bet and work out the way to get the biggest profit for minimum risk. You don't really need to know anything about sport to be a bookmaker.

Obviously the bookies make an estimate of who will win before they start betting, or if something changes (eg, Andy Murray gets shorter odds if Nadal or Federer pull out of a tournament) but the only time they EVER lose is if a massive favourite who they can't mark down quick enough wins.
EDIT - or someone puts an enormous bet on a rank outsider/accumulator that comes up obviously

If Cav had won, they might have lost some cash. There's no way they'll have lost by him not winning.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:What are the odds of Celtic winning the league this year? Bet they're not far off that, and people will still be putting money down.

1/33 last time I checked. :lol: I wanted to put them and Rangers in an accumulator but William Hill's website doesn't allow it. :(

I get where you're coming from but I'm still not convinced. The only people who are likely to bet on what it is still a fairly minority sport (and a second tier event in that sport) are people who know something about the sport, and people who about Cycling wouldn't have expected bookmakers to even bother offering odds on Cav today. The forecasts in the Olympics and La Vuelta a Espana were pretty much spot on since they actually took into account who is good in the different terrains but today's odds made no sense. I know someone who works at a Ladbrokes so I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him.

Phate

Postby Phate » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 am

There is an element of both sides tbh, sporting knowledge plays a huge part in odds for big events and this is where the statisticians etc working for the big bookies concentrate, but the more niche you get the more betting relies on money staked rather than bookies sporting knowledge.

As an example take Stoke v Man City this weekend Man City will be favourites because they are the champions playing a mid table team, where you will see a major move in odds is the draw, punters will account for the last 2 results at the Britannia between the sides finished 1-1 so this will be a popular choice this weekend and you have pretty short odds on the draw come kickoff!

Things like the stages for the Tour of Britain will be pretty low ranked events for bookies with not a lot of money staked meaning bookies will do less research which means each stage can be influenced more by a large percentage of what few bets there are lumping on a single rider!

Please use the following code when booking tickets through http://www2.seetickets.com/sonisphere/

SF39SC

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:02 am

This conversation has meant that I am finally able to understand the bet-rigging scam in Jim Thompson's novel The Grifters. Incidentally, everyone should read that book as it's the best blame-your-mum-for-everything story since Coriolanus.

Phate

Postby Phate » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Phate wrote:As an example take Stoke v Man City this weekend Man City will be favourites because they are the champions playing a mid table team, where you will see a major move in odds is the draw, punters will account for the last 2 results at the Britannia between the sides finished 1-1 so this will be a popular choice this weekend and you have pretty short odds on the draw come kickoff!

Should really start backing my own tips!

SF39SC

Frog_Princess

Postby Frog_Princess » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I like having a successful sessional lecturer interview and being put on a list of approved sessional lecturers :mrgreen:
:animals-cow: 1k951689 :animals-cow:

muse2012

Postby muse2012 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I like watching Man City get beat heartbreakingly as a Man United fan.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 pm

muse2012 wrote:I like watching Man City get beat heartbreakingly as a Man United fan.

I liked the second half, the first half really bored me :lol:
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

muse2012

Postby muse2012 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Yeah haha, would've supported the English side but there's only about two English players in the City team :P

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:26 pm

I enjoyed watching it in the gym, my session had ups and downs, with a significant up turn after Ronny put his away :D
FMC Code - 1K910196

mcmoomin

Postby mcmoomin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 am

Frog_Princess wrote:I like having a successful sessional lecturer interview and being put on a list of approved sessional lecturers :mrgreen:

I like this. Congrats lovey <3

Return to “Chat and Off-Topic”