Royalty Free Music?

Introduce yourself and babble about anything else here: my broken arm, computing, toothpaste, favourite hair salon, or even just how your day is going. It all goes in here.
EmzoModz

Royalty Free Music?

Postby EmzoModz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:58 pm

So I own a shop now but I currently can't afford to play music as with a PRS and PPL license it will cost me over £300 a year to play some music/radio. That could get me a bunch of stock, pay a bunch of rent or get my Sonisphere ticket...

Do any of you guys know of any royalty free music that is outside these two companies? Therefore I can play in the shop for free? I have found some but it is...pretty awful. Others you have to pay for a pretty expensive yearly subscription or an individual song for about £20 - £30 (some are even more expensive).

Or if any of you are in any small bands that don't mind us using your music in store that would be awesome too.

Black Wizard

Re: Royalty Free Music?

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 pm

What kind of shop do you run? (I have nothing to say that might help you by the way. :P )

EmzoModz

Postby EmzoModz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 pm

We're kind of like a cult entertainment store. So merchandise relating to anime, comics, games, movie, tv and sci-fi.

Here be a link: http://www.fazex.co.uk

I have a lot of stuff that isn't online yet, plus my hosting sucks and I still have a lot of tweaks to make to it. It gives you a bit of an idea though.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:50 pm

So you're like Forbidden Planet? I'll pop in if I'm ever in Alloa...

EmzoModz

Postby EmzoModz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Sort of but with a lot of different stuff, we have a lot of anime items which they don't really stock at all, vintage comics, more stuff for the kids and just general other awesome stuff I find which doesn't really fit into their market. We also have gaming tables which are free to use. Starting up some tournaments and events soon such as a Pokemon X and Y tournament which is free to enter with prizes for the winners.

Reading that back I'm really not good at promoting myself :lol:

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Congrats on the shop! Lots of cool stuff on the site.

add

Postby add » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:08 pm

what id suggest is ask around a bunch of local bands and see if any will let you use some, theres usually somewhere around that will easily get you in touch with people like a music store or a certain pub etc and local bands usually will be willing for the free publicity.

or ask around youtube/spotify for smaller bands with the same principle

if you want anything thats not from 50s adverts or elevator music it will take some networking to get because most of the stuff you find on the internet thats royalty free to download is pretty terrible

EmzoModz

Postby EmzoModz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Cheers folks.

I decided just to take the plunge after all and from next week I can play whatever music I want. So of course it's gonna be the coolest shop in the area with rock, metal, game music and theme tunes :p

Well...by take the plunge I mean my mum was nice and decided to pay it for me! Haha.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:42 pm

And there I was about to say you can put my band's albums on infinite repeat :P
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

EmzoModz

Postby EmzoModz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Damn, at least it's not my money this year though!

I might revert back to small bands depending on how everything goes this year. Well that also depends if I am even still open next year...

The real problem with these licenses though is that they decide who the money goes to. So in other words it goes to the big chart artists and none of it will actually go to the bands I play. It really isn't a fair system at all. Plus the fact the radio stations have to pay the licenses, then the shop owner also has to pay them as well even though it's already paid...and even if they only listen to talk radio with no music at all.

Return to “Chat and Off-Topic”