How did Lost Prophets not know?

Introduce yourself and babble about anything else here: my broken arm, computing, toothpaste, favourite hair salon, or even just how your day is going. It all goes in here.
Cazzy

How did Lost Prophets not know?

Postby Cazzy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:39 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1173936/lostp ... e-attempts

Ian Watkins has admitted a lot now. I do wonder how he could keep this a secret for so long. Especially from his band mates.
Please use FMC Code 1k934556 when purchasing your ticket - It's appreciated!

Rick

Re: How did Lost Prophets not know?

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:56 pm

I am not a huge fan of the band but could listen to some of their stuff, gotta feel bad for the other members as this will no doubt follow them around for ever.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Cazzy

Postby Cazzy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:04 pm

My thoughts exactly. I do wonder if this will have an impact on the other band members musical careers. Even though they were clueless to what was going on there's going to be a lot of bad vibes that follow them.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I can't imagine he'd go around advertising it. You'd think he'd do his utmost to keep it secret. If they weren't all into the drugs and stuff he was into they might not have been around him that often away from the band.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Yeah, people are married to abusers for years without knowing. It's not really fair to finger the bandmates (as it were) given that people who do what Watkins did are usually accomplished in deceit.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Are there ways to hide threads on this forum at all? After reading an article that had details of the charges/evidence earlier even seeing the guy's name frakking sickens me.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Nobody will be suggesting Lostprophets as a festival headliner any more.

The thing with bands is that being a part of the band is a job, as is touring and recording. How many people here spend all their spare time outside of work with their colleagues? I'm not suggesting that you dislike your colleagues (although some of you may) but you probably don't know your colleagues most intimate and private secrets. I assume Watkins wasn't so totally brainless as to show what he was into in front of his bandmates and he probably just acted reasonably normally when he was at work (touring and recording). People can hide that kind of thing from public view. I remember there was a story about a nursery somewhere where one of the staff was found to be part of a paedophile ring, and that's someone whose job is to work with children.

Cazzy

Postby Cazzy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Just to clarify, I in no way am blaming the rest of the band or suggesting they were in on it. It's just shocking to think they all toured together, hung out and were with each other so long to now find something like this out. Loads of people are actually burning their Lost Prophets stuff now and are tarnishing them all with the same brush. It's not fair at all.

On a side note apparently Ian 'H' Watkins has deleted his twitter because people are idiots and think he's the same guy from LP.

(Edit; the title of the thread is meant in more of a "it's so shocking, how did he manage to keep it secret?" - In hindsight I should have probably titled it that :P )

Kimik0123

Postby Kimik0123 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:28 pm

I used to be a huge fan when I was younger. I'm betting he'd have been a huge fan of me too...
- Kim
Please use the code 1k910155 . I'd appreciate it! Thank you.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Kimik0123 wrote:I used to be a huge fan when I was younger. I'm betting he'd have been a huge fan of me too...

Ouch!

I have no problem with still listening to their first two albums because the music is good and the rest of the bandhave nothing to do with this. Good music is good music and people still love Michael Jackson, Paul Gray and "The Rev" are worshipped for being drug addicts etc. I have a similar issue with As I Lay Dying. They are one of my favourite bands and I've seen them six times but their singer, Tim Lambesis, was arrested in Spring on suspicion of hiring a hitman to kill his estranged wife. I met this guy when I was sixteen and I have a picture with him. I'm not going to stop listening to As I Lay Dying if Tim gets convicted because I love the music and the rest of the band probably have nothing to do with it. I guess I would feel quite uncomfortable that I've given this guy money though.

Kimik0123

Postby Kimik0123 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Honestly, none of us could've known about him, we appreciated him as an artist and it just so happened he was a pedophile. He made good music, which is sad because now it feels kind of tainted. I think the band agrees though, because they split. The whole LostProphets brand has been spoiled.
- Kim
Please use the code 1k910155 . I'd appreciate it! Thank you.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm

It was ruined for me as soon as that 'Rooftops' song came out.

Apparently his ex-girlfriend had warned the police about what he was up to in 2008 but they took no action: http://news.uk.msn.com/watkins-ex-had-warned-police. Pretty scary.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Black Wizard wrote:It was ruined for me as soon as that 'Rooftops' song came out.

Apparently his ex-girlfriend had warned the police about what he was up to in 2008 but they took no action: http://news.uk.msn.com/watkins-ex-had-warned-police. Pretty scary.

Aye but that was a story from the Mirro, so who knows what the heck happened?
FMC Code - 1K910196

Eyeless

Postby Eyeless » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:28 am

"Earlier this week, we learned that the allegations of child sexual abuse against Ian were true, and that he would not be contesting them in court. Until then, we found them extremely difficult to believe and had hoped it was all a mistake. Sadly, the true extent of his appalling behaviour is now impossible to deny.

Many of you understandably want to know if we knew what Ian was doing. To be clear: We did not. We knew that Ian was a difficult character. Our personal relationships with him had deteriorated in recent years to a point that working together was a constant, miserable challenge. But despite his battles with drugs, his egotistic behaviour, and the resulting fractures and frustrations within our band, we never imagined him capable of behaviour of the type he has now admitted.

We are heartbroken, angry, and disgusted at what has been revealed. This is something that will haunt us for the rest of our lives. Being in a band has always been a labour of love and a platform to inspire people, not to take advantage of them. It's still hard to believe this is happening and that someone we were once so close to has destroyed so many lives, lying every step of the way.
Our hearts go out to Ian's family, the fans and friends he betrayed, and most importantly, the victims of his crimes and others like them. We hope for justice, but also that Ian will truly take responsibility for what he's done. We would urge any other victims to contact the authorities.

Jamie, Lee, Luke, Mike and Stu"

From lostprophets facebook page.

Cazzy

Postby Cazzy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 am

So they thought his behaviour was just that of a douche. His mum and dad have said they hope over time something will change public perception of him :/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ng-6345317

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:30 am

frakking doubt it.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Maybe we'll also find out he's racist?
FMC Code - 1K910196

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Cazzy wrote:So they thought his behaviour was just that of a douche. His mum and dad have said they hope over time something will change public perception of him :/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ng-6345317

It certainly worked for Gary Glitter, people barely remember he's a paedophile now do they?

Or do they barely remember he used to be a musician? it's one or the other.
:animals-cow:

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:14 pm

I think if there's one sentiment that defines the public's relationship with paedophiles it's "forgive and forget".

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:44 am

In fairness does anyone think he will be alive long enough for people to forget? I imagine he will top him self within 2 years maybe
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Watkins gets 35 years.

Not long enough.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:13 pm

He'll probably be let out after half of that term for good behaviour.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:14 pm

He has to serve at least 20 years of it before even being considered for early release.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:58 pm

so when he comes out he will be between 56 and 71.... I am sticking more with my "IF" he comes out as I find it more likely he will top himself.

If he does that and saves our taxes being wasted in the long run, then his mum might also get her wish of people seeing him in a better light

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Rick wrote:so when he comes out he will be between 56 and 71.... I am sticking more with my "IF" he comes out as I find it more likely he will top himself.

If he does that and saves our taxes being wasted in the long run, then his mum might also get her wish of people seeing him in a better light

Put him in a cell with some guy who has a young daughter.. Have him guarded by guys who also have young daughters. Turn a blind eye to everything from there. Problem solved.

Return to “Chat and Off-Topic”