Unpopular Opinions Thread

Introduce yourself and babble about anything else here: my broken arm, computing, toothpaste, favourite hair salon, or even just how your day is going. It all goes in here.
houston404

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby houston404 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:23 pm

There is a clear distinction (in theory) between being offended and being discriminated against. In practice the distinction has been removed and we now live in such a petty world its annoying. Clarkson said you should be shot? Well just be glad he's not in a position to actually do anything like that, get off your soap box and watch some other drivel thats on tv nowerdays :roll: If it was a politician or someone who has some influence to actually pursue that, then by all means protest but by god some car critic whos on tv? :doh:

You are free to be offended but that does not empower you to shut someone up for speaking their mind. If someone activley sets out to discriminate or injure you then you have a case to do something in return.

:angry-soapbox:
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Oh look, more twitter outrage. Alan Davies has said that it's silly that Liverpool refuse to play on the 15th April as it's the anniversary of the Hillsbrough disaster, thus affecting other teams in detrimental ways (Chelsea having to have a game rescheduled to 3 days before another important game). I'd say what he said is fair enough but he didn't say it in the most tactful terms on a podcast so now he's getting death threats from some Liverpool supporters :roll:
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Phate

Postby Phate » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:35 pm

mrpaul wrote:Oh look, more twitter outrage. Alan Davies has said that it's silly that Liverpool refuse to play on the 15th April as it's the anniversary of the Hillsbrough disaster, thus affecting other teams in detrimental ways (Chelsea having to have a game rescheduled to 3 days before another important game). I'd say what he said is fair enough but he didn't say it in the most tactful terms on a podcast so now he's getting death threats from some Liverpool supporters :roll:

Liverpool are quickly turning into the team everyone want's to see fail!
Sonisphere City Ambassador - Edinburgh

Please use the following code when booking tickets through http://www2.seetickets.com/sonisphere/

SF39SC

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:53 pm

mrpaul wrote:Oh look, more twitter outrage. Alan Davies has said that it's silly that Liverpool refuse to play on the 15th April as it's the anniversary of the Hillsbrough disaster, thus affecting other teams in detrimental ways (Chelsea having to have a game rescheduled to 3 days before another important game). I'd say what he said is fair enough but he didn't say it in the most tactful terms on a podcast so now he's getting death threats from some Liverpool supporters :roll:

Yeah, part of me thinks its totally understandable that they don't want to, while another part thinks its hanging onto the memories unnecessarily (or possibly using it as a protest against the lack of a public enquiry etc)

I doubt Bradford refuse to play games on 11 May, Man U on 6 Feb, or Juventus on 29 May. Leeds don't have a problem playing on 5th April (in fact I didn't even realise the anniversary had passed till i just googled it).

Incidentally, I'm not saying Liverpool DO make this big point for any political reason, but if they do, that's just going back to the point I made earlier.

He's got every right to have that opinion imo. As long as he's not disrespecting the actual people who died and just the tradition.
I find David Starkeys opinions on Question Time and 10 o clock live offensive, but I can't really complain about his opinion on (basically) women being inferior.
:animals-cow:

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Indeed, why must they refuse outright to play on that day, couldn't they commemorate the anniversary at the match? They're just making it awkward, and Alan Davies voiced the opinion, and while a large number of Scousers were in agreement, there were a lot of threats coming his way too.

Twitter has brought about the age of outrage (the outrAGE, if you will. You won't? :( ) and everyone can get a tiny 140-character snippet of information about something that's happened, form an instant opinion, and then send their own 140 characters of misinformed bile straight out there. It wouldn't be so bad if twitter wasn't such a big source of news nowadays, people retweet news stories and different peoples' reactions to the news stories and then others retweet it all too, it takes away the need to read the full story, think about it, and form your own opinion, just take someone else's opinion that's better written than your own.
FMC Code - 1K910196

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:37 pm

"Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crackpot."
-Grandpa Simpson

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 am

Oh good lord, I'm gonna have to do this again.

[Brian Blessed]

JEREMY CLARKSON'S CONTROVERSIAL COMMENT WAS A SATIRICAL DIG AT THE BBC'S RULES ABOUT BEING STRICTLY IMPARTIAL. IF YOU ACTUALLY WATCH THE ENTIRE CLIP, AND DON'T GET YOUR INFORMATION FROM SECONDARY SOURCES WITHIN THE MEDIA, YOU WILL NOTICE THAT HE FIRSTLY STATED THAT HE WAS IN FAVOUR OF THE STRIKES, AND THEN TO BALANCE IT, SAID SOMETHING OVER-EXAGGERATED TO MOCK THE BBC'S POLICIES.

IT SERIOUSLY ISN'T THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE ACTUALLY DID NOT SUGGEST THAT STRIKERS SHOULD BE EXECUTED IN FRONT OF THEIR FAMILIES

[/Brian Blessed]

Also, I know the Hillsborough shi­t is a sensitive subject for anyone who's overly bothered about football (especially Scousers), but does there really need to be another public enquiry into why it happened? I'll fu­cking sum up what happened:

Lots of people were tragically killed due to a mixture of an over capacity stadium, intoxicated people, bottlenecks at the exits and a panic stampede.

What's the fu­cking obsession with spending tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds to research something that has already been researched just to find someone to blame? Hillsborough isn't the only tragedy in the history of whenever that's been caused by panic and hysteria. Something similar happened in Germany a couple of years ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10751899

And if you google around a bit more, you'll find many news stories where a mass panic and a bottleneck has resulted in people losing their lives. It happens. It's tragic, but it happens. And the only thing at fault is the natural reaction to panic when gooseberry is starting to go ti­ts up. Put 100 people in a room with only 1 exit, then tell them that you're about to pump a lethal gas into that room. Watch every single one of those people charge for the door, cause a massive bundle, and get really really crushed.

There does not need to be a public enquiry. Waste of money. Shut up.

Also, finally found a thread that a certain member isn't infecting. Life is happier now.

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:37 pm

King_Walnut wrote:Also, I know the Hillsborough shi­t is a sensitive subject for anyone who's overly bothered about football (especially Scousers), but does there really need to be another public enquiry into why it happened? I'll fu­cking sum up what happened:

Lots of people were tragically killed due to a mixture of an over capacity stadium, intoxicated people, bottlenecks at the exits and a panic stampede.

What's the fu­cking obsession with spending tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds to research something that has already been researched just to find someone to blame? Hillsborough isn't the only tragedy in the history of whenever that's been caused by panic and hysteria. Something similar happened in Germany a couple of years ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10751899

And if you google around a bit more, you'll find many news stories where a mass panic and a bottleneck has resulted in people losing their lives. It happens. It's tragic, but it happens. And the only thing at fault is the natural reaction to panic when gooseberry is starting to go ti­ts up. Put 100 people in a room with only 1 exit, then tell them that you're about to pump a lethal gas into that room. Watch every single one of those people charge for the door, cause a massive bundle, and get really really crushed.

There does not need to be a public enquiry. Waste of money. Shut up.

Especially as the fans clamouring for an enquiry will dismiss the findings out of hand unless it states "this was 100% not the fault of anyone remotely connected to Liverpool, not even the hundreds of fans outside without tickets who were determined to get into the stadium. Not even 1% their fault."

Two years before the disaster, my dad was at Hillsborough for an FA cup semi, and he said that he didnt feel safe there. The ground wasn't safe, the policing was inadequate and the emergency services took far too long.
I think you'd have to be an idiot to think it was Liverpool fans fault, but equally ludicrous to say they were 100% blameless

Phate

Postby Phate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:05 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:Especially as the fans clamouring for an enquiry will dismiss the findings out of hand unless it states "this was 100% not the fault of anyone remotely connected to Liverpool, not even the hundreds of fans outside without tickets who were determined to get into the stadium. Not even 1% their fault."

Two years before the disaster, my dad was at Hillsborough for an FA cup semi, and he said that he didnt feel safe there. The ground wasn't safe, the policing was inadequate and the emergency services took far too long.
I think you'd have to be an idiot to think it was Liverpool fans fault, but equally ludicrous to say they were 100% blameless

It was the same when they blamed the Athens police for being over zealous at the Champiosn League final a few years back. It was the police that were spoiling for a fight and not the thousands of scousers with fake/no tickets that were trying to force their way into the ground!

Having been to the Olympic Stadium withs Hearts in thats seasons qualifying round v AEK, I can say that yes we were surrounded by Riot police, were they looking for trouble? No, they just didn't take crap from anyone and I feel that if we didn't do exactly as we were told then yes we could have got a kick in from them! But we realised this quickly and behaved acordingly, Liverpools support didn't and got what they deserved imho!
Last edited by Phate on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please use the following code when booking tickets through http://www2.seetickets.com/sonisphere/

SF39SC

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 pm

A lot of these problems would be solved if they just stopped football.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:22 pm

ThornDavis wrote:A lot of these problems would be solved if they just stopped football.

But what would drunken louts do on a Saturday afternoon? At least they're put in a building with other louts away from everyone else for a couple of hours each week.
FMC Code - 1K910196

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 pm

That would be fantastic. Especially considering the amount of nonsense football seemingly causes in Glasgow at least. On my way home from work last week (a journey which takes all of 25 minutes) - it was the day Celtic were given the league title - I witnessed 4 fights, and a guy having a go at a 5 year old kid who was wearing a Rangers top. Then all the people in Rangers tops cheering at the Orange walk as it went by and people in their celtic tops at the back of the bus singing in praise of the IRA.

How can so much stupidity and politics get involved with 2 opposing teams kicking a ball into a net, I'll never know...

Phate

Postby Phate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Not all football fans are drunken louts, us scots are generally very well behaved at the football despite being drunk (outside the bigotry in Glasgow)!

Oh and Kip, how do you know that it was related to Celtic winning the title? Isn't that just a normal day through west?

SF39SC

Frog_Princess

Postby Frog_Princess » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:30 pm

There weren't 100's of ticketless fans trying to get into the ground at Hillsborough.....
:animals-cow: 1k951689 :animals-cow:

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Well to be fair most of those things happen on a regular basis anyways...but on title day it all seems to happen everywhere and at once. It's mental

houston404

Postby houston404 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm

I find it ironic that the common theme in your arguments as the reason why football fans act like idiots is drinking when FIFA are pushing Qatar and Brazil to serve alcohol at the world cups :lol:

Phate

Postby Phate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Frog_Princess wrote:There weren't 100's of ticketless fans trying to get into the ground at Hillsborough.....

To be fair the only basis for the tribunal finding that it wasn't the case was that there were still tickets for sale and therefor Liverpool fans wouldn't have tried to get in for free without tickets when they could buy one instead!

SF39SC

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:17 pm

ThornDavis wrote:A lot of these problems would be solved if they just stopped football.

A lot of general problems would be solved if they just stopped football.
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

Phate

Postby Phate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

So stopping football would solve what general problems exactly?

SF39SC

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

The only time I've been to a football... event? gig? performance? Whatever, the only time I've watched professionals play football was at a place called Aston Villa. Even though The Aston Villas were winning, all that the Aston Villa supporters did throughout was complain that the team had played badly, was an embarrasment, was poorly managed and so on and so on. They were unbelievably miserable. And their team won!!! What on earth is the point of a past-time where even the people who claim to be fans find it depressing, even when it goes as well as it can possibly go? Heroin addicts are more enthusiastic about their hobby, and even a large chunk of them want to give up. Unbelievable. They should ban it, and the people involved in it will probably just be pathetically grateful at the enforced cold turkey.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

ThornDavis wrote:The only time I've been to a football... event? gig? performance? Whatever, the only time I've watched professionals play football was at a place called Aston Villa. Even though The Aston Villas were winning, all that the Aston Villa supporters did throughout was complain that the team had played badly, was an embarrasment, was poorly managed and so on and so on. They were unbelievably miserable. And their team won!!! What on earth is the point of a past-time where even the people who claim to be fans find it depressing, even when it goes as well as it can possibly go? Heroin addicts are more enthusiastic about their hobby, and even a large chunk of them want to give up. Unbelievable. They should ban it, and the people involved in it will probably just be pathetically grateful at the enforced cold turkey.

As a Villa fan, I agree we're a bit pessimistic. When was this, anyway? We've mostly been a bunch of disgruntled whining unhappy children since Martin O'Neill left in 2010.

I think you're going a bit far though. Maybe you were just sat near some particularly annoying bastards.
Last edited by PurpleDemon on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Phate

Postby Phate » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 pm

ThornDavis wrote:The only time I've been to a football... event? gig? performance? Whatever, the only time I've watched professionals play football was at a place called Aston Villa. Even though The Aston Villas were winning, all that the Aston Villa supporters did throughout was complain that the team had played badly, was an embarrasment, was poorly managed and so on and so on. They were unbelievably miserable. And their team won!!! What on earth is the point of a past-time where even the people who claim to be fans find it depressing, even when it goes as well as it can possibly go? Heroin addicts are more enthusiastic about their hobby, and even a large chunk of them want to give up. Unbelievable. They should ban it, and the people involved in it will probably just be pathetically grateful at the enforced cold turkey.

All of football should be banned because you sat next to a couple of miserable people in Birmingham? Imagine some brummies being miserable!

SF39SC

NYMdelaney

Postby NYMdelaney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

I remember on the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster, Manchester United played City. No attempts to change the date were made (I think at the beginning of the season, city offered to swap the home/away games around for it to be at old trafford though). They just got on with the game after a respectful memorial beforehand. I used to be a big hater of the united fans before this but have found some respect for them since.
Liverpool fans, however, are the worst for moaning and blaming everyone else for everything. After the problems at european games in the 80s caused by liverpool fans, it was blamed on the police, hillsborough on the police, their failure to qualify for the champions league in the season they won it on UEFA, and those are just the ones which come to mind.
The champions league one particularly annoyed me as an Everton fan. If it had been any other team to win the competition and not qualify, they would probably not have got in, and the rule changed for the next season but because of all the moaning somehow they managed to get UEFA to break the rules to let them in.
I don't agree with them refusing to play on April 15th, or the FA letting them refuse. All other clubs with specific dates of club disasters play on the date after a couple of years, and can find other ways of remembering. This year it has added effects with chelsea being forced to play just before a champions league semi final

On football causing so many problems, there are problems caused by drinking and football hooligans, but those are the sorts of people who would be out looking for trouble anyway. football at least puts them all together, out of the way of most other people most of the time. The sport also does a lot of good for communities and individuals

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:

A lot of general problems would be solved if they just stopped football.

Do people actually believe that would make a difference? The thugs who get in fights at football would just find another way to unleash their neanderthal aggression. I honestly think half of the reason there's so many fights on a Saturday night is because there's less hooligans fighting on a Saturday afternoon.

People will act like dicks. Football is just often a lightning rod for that.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I think in Glasgow it actually genuinely would make a difference - but I can't speak for the rest of the UK. Obviously the issue goes far beyond football but the game itself is what is helping to keep the stupid rivalry going and making it seem acceptable to certain people to raise their kids in a way to think someone who supports another team is essentially scum.

Return to “Chat and Off-Topic”