Unpopular Opinions Thread

Introduce yourself and babble about anything else here: my broken arm, computing, toothpaste, favourite hair salon, or even just how your day is going. It all goes in here.
User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby houston404 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 pm

[quote="Mad_Capsule"] 'well as long as you're not a terrorist, paedophile or criminal then you have nothing to worry about.' [quote]

:icon-eek: I have to...go burn somethings....
Now if the laws were passed jokes like that would harbour suspicion and I would end up in jail :(
The government, sucking fun out of things since....the creation of government :lol:
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby hybrid theorist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:13 pm

http://www.markpack.org.uk/30632/walking-its-time-to-take-action/

Many terrorists also use walking! We should be able to monitor where everyone is walking too!
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
Mad_Capsule
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Kingston

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Mad_Capsule » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am

houston404 wrote:
Mad_Capsule wrote: 'well as long as you're not a terrorist, paedophile or criminal then you have nothing to worry about.'


:icon-eek: I have to...go burn somethings....
Now if the laws were passed jokes like that would harbour suspicion and I would end up in jail :(
The government, sucking fun out of things since....the creation of government :lol:


I was going to make a joke about deleting that child porn stash I have, but then I thought better of it because the government might be watching me <_< >_>

Oops :shock:


hybrid theorist wrote:http://www.markpack.org.uk/30632/walking-its-time-to-take-action/

Many terrorists also use walking! We should be able to monitor where everyone is walking too!



I hear they wear clothes too, I think we should all have to walk around naked. I mean as long as you're not a paedophile, terrorist or criminal then it shouldn't be a problem because you have nothing to hide.
Image
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby hybrid theorist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 am

Mad_Capsule wrote:
houston404 wrote:
Mad_Capsule wrote: 'well as long as you're not a terrorist, paedophile or criminal then you have nothing to worry about.'


:icon-eek: I have to...go burn somethings....
Now if the laws were passed jokes like that would harbour suspicion and I would end up in jail :(
The government, sucking fun out of things since....the creation of government :lol:


I was going to make a joke about deleting that child porn stash I have, but then I thought better of it because the government might be watching me <_< >_>

Oops :shock:

Well if they weren't before....
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
ThornDavis
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 am

Mad_Capsule wrote:The worst bit is the retarded home secretary saying things like 'well as long as you're not a terrorist, paedophile or criminal then you have nothing to worry about.' So yeah, if you don't like the idea of not having privacy you're either a criminal, terrorist or a paedophile because those are the only types of people who care abotu privacy :roll:


Also, the definitions of each of those things are all quite fluid. For example, telling someone to "go suck a n****r dick on Twitter may not immediately seem like "inciting racial hatred" (in fact it sounds like the opposite in a lot of ways) but lands you with nearly 60 days in jail.

Given to which the definition of all these things are down to interpretation and liable to shift depending on the mood of the population, this law sounds like a disaster. There's already plenty of examples of "counter-terrorist legislation" (if that's what it ever was) being abused in ways that were never intended. One example is councils using counter-terrorist powers to monitor families to ensure they were in the correct catchment area for schools. One thing when don't need is further extreme powers and unclear laws that are so open to abuse that even a child could see where the problems will come.

User avatar
Grables
Posts: 2670
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Hove, Brighton.
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Grables » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 am

The scariest thing about the legislation is that it wont be used to stop crime at all, and they know it. It is a move purely for the government to get more power over its people - they've tried this gooseberry before and it failed every time.

Before this, if they ever had enough suspicion of criminal activities, all they had to do was get a warrant, and then the police could have a quick look into someones phone record/computer to see if there is anything - and then it would be taken from there. If this legislation passes, all it means is they can skip the part where they get a warrant from a judge - and they can look into anyone's personal gooseberry at will.
The part I don't understand is how it is meant to help them "find" things like this - its not like they can do a massive keyword search over every computer simultaneously, because it doesn't work like that - they would still have to hack into every computer individually to look for gooseberry - which is what they were doing anyway. All this means is they can skip the proper channels every time and just spy on people indiscriminately, and every time they will use the same old scapegoats to justify it. When was the last time someone actually died in a legit terrorist attack in this country?

"But we're doing it to protect you! you must be protected even though you are in no danger whatsoever" - The age old cry of the oppressor, I think.

It also infuriated me when I started hearing about people actually being arrested and jailed for things they said over the internet - srsly - WTF
Technically you shouldn't even be jailed for saying these things out loud in the streets because of freedom of speech - but over the internet? nothing that gets said over facebook/twitter should ever be taken completely seriously - for so many reasons I can't even be assed to go into. I would just love to be arrested over something like that, just so I can defend myself in court and really put them down, telling them what frakking idiots they are and how they should all be shot in front of their families.
Image

User avatar
PurpleDemon
Posts: 4779
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Hatfield
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby PurpleDemon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 pm

I wonder if anyone's pointed out that technically typing isn't speech :roll:

And you act like freedom of speech is absolute. It isn't and never has been.
Image

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby houston404 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:06 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:I wonder if anyone's pointed out that technically typing isn't speech :roll:

And you act like freedom of speech is absolute. It isn't and never has been.


But when politicians state they uphold and promote freedom of speech such as when they invaded and 'liberated' Iraq and Afghanistan they do imply that it is unlimited which is hypocritical. "your now free to say what you want! As long as it's not X, Y or Z. So much better than the regieme that preceded us" :roll:
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
shivcakes
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby shivcakes » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:28 pm

The English Government has forever oppressed everyone they can/want, even their own people in this case. This is just another example. Perhaps another way/attempt at controlling the internet - controlling what information we give/receive, so the subjects of the wonderfully innocent Queen don't find out what your military are really up to in the Middle East. Find out that really the UK/US armies are terrorists as well.
Same as increases in student fees. They don't want you educated - they want you all working in mindless factory jobs blissfully ignorant of the real world and distracted by Eastenders. It's all a conspiracy.
I are very suspicionface.
♫ ♫ ♫ life is ours, we live it our way ♫ ♫ ♫
SONISPHERE 2014!!! CAMP LOOOONNNEERRRRRR ♥♥♥♥♥

User avatar
Mad_Capsule
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Kingston

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Mad_Capsule » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:50 pm

US are awful at terrorism. Let's go bomb the gooseberry out of Japan, it'll kill hundreds of thousands! Winner! OMG someone burnt our buildings and thousands died, we are such a victim :( lets make sure everyone remembers this day and if they don't do everything we say they are disrespectful! Oh the thing with Japan? Doesn't count it was during a war...

Uk are just as bad. So we won the war because we're the good guys, Germany are the bad guys. We didn't start it, we were just protecting our friends! Bosnia you say? Screw them, it's not as bad as they say it is. Plus they aren't a direct threat and they can't give us anything to make it worth our while so what's the point? Humanity you say? What's that? Doesn't sound like it's more valuable than money so we'll pass. WE MUST PROTECT OUR HUMANITY BY STOPPING IRAQ BEING NAUGHTY LIKE WE DID WITH GERMANY! WE ARE PROTECTING THE PEO- oooo oil, better BBM America pronto :D
Image
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

User avatar
PurpleDemon
Posts: 4779
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Hatfield
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:US are awful at terrorism. Let's go bomb the gooseberry out of Japan, it'll kill hundreds of thousands! Winner! OMG someone burnt our buildings and thousands died, we are such a victim :(


US are awful in general.

Image
Image

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby houston404 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:21 pm

They are mocking and spiting the innocent ancestors of the pearl Harbour attackers? Thats wrong. Don't get me wrong I could understand it if they were spiting the attackers themselves but damn, those people had done nothing wrong/ had not partaken in pearl harbour :doh:
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
kipper64
Posts: 18552
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby kipper64 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Plus you know...the whole nuking of Japan thing, I think America already more than "got even" if you want to go down that route...
Image

User avatar
Grables
Posts: 2670
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Hove, Brighton.
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Grables » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 am

Mad_Capsule wrote:US are awful at terrorism. Let's go bomb the gooseberry out of Japan, it'll kill hundreds of thousands! Winner! OMG someone burnt our buildings and thousands died, we are such a victim :( lets make sure everyone remembers this day and if they don't do everything we say they are disrespectful! Oh the thing with Japan? Doesn't count it was during a war...


Woah - the bombings on Japan are not a fair comparison to make. I completely understand why they dropped those two bombs and I think it was justified. The americans spent 3 years pushing the Japanese Empire back out of territory that didn't belong to it, and it was a frakking harsh war for both sides to fight on. Just because of their mentality, the Japanese were a frakking savage enemy to go to war with. They used all sorts of nasty tactics and guerrilla warfare - most of the Jap soldiers were fearless, and didn't give a gooseberry if they died, so long as they killed their enemy. Thousands upon thousands of US Marines and sailors died in battles like Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and when they finally got to mainland Japan, they had a choice. Bearing in mind the war in Europe was over, and thousands of tired British and American soldiers who had just finished fighting were being shipped over to finish the war in the pacific.

To end the war entirely, the Japanese had to be forced into submission. So the US generals had a choice to either A) invade the mainland - which would resulted in months of fighting - thousands being lost on both sides, and a country getting completely ravaged (how many civilians would have been killed then? how much of their countryside would have been devastated?)
or B) nuke them.
The Generals obviously went with B - all of their troops had been through way too much and just wanted to go home - they even warned the Japanese commanders of what was going to happen if they didn't surrender. After the first bomb was dropped, they even waited 3 days, giving the Japs more time to consider surrendering, but they were being stubborn bastards - I think that second bomb did the job.

That may have been a bit of an essay, and your other point still stands, but c'mon... comparing 9/11 with something that happened in the biggest conflict in human history is a bit fucking retarded.
Image

User avatar
shivcakes
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby shivcakes » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 pm

It's really not retarded, it's basically just examples of the US wanting an excuse to control people, whole countries, whether that is by saying "oooh you bombed us first" (when they kind of deserve it) or "oooh X's neighbouring countries are in danger - PROTECT THEM! Kill innocent people in X and then piss on their dead bodies!" when really it's got frakk all to do with them anyway. I'm probably mixing up like 5 different situations in one there - but whatever, you get the point.
♫ ♫ ♫ life is ours, we live it our way ♫ ♫ ♫
SONISPHERE 2014!!! CAMP LOOOONNNEERRRRRR ♥♥♥♥♥

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 pm

that's not really the point he was making.

comparing a terrorist attack to a war is a bit silly, they're not the same thing at all.
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
shivcakes
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby shivcakes » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 pm

but I think it was the point Jen and others were trying to make ? that's what I was agreeing with.
to be fair, there is a fairly big war in the Middle East, I mean sure, it's not a World War, but it's still a big deal. Point remains the same.
♫ ♫ ♫ life is ours, we live it our way ♫ ♫ ♫
SONISPHERE 2014!!! CAMP LOOOONNNEERRRRRR ♥♥♥♥♥

User avatar
Mad_Capsule
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Kingston

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Well no it's not silly. A situation where thousands of innocent people are slaughtered is never necessary or 'for the greater good' whether it be a war or a terrorist attack. The point I was making is US make a massive deal of 9/11 in a 'OMG what have we ever done wrong?' way and then look at PurpleDemon's facebook post. They want everyone to respect the day their people died but think Japan deserve the earthquake and tsunami? Imagine the gooseberry fit if someone put 'yeah 9/11 is bad and all but do you remember Hiroshima? Karma bitches!'.

As you say (to put it lightly), Japan were doing something that America decided was a bit naughty so they showed them what for. America were doing something that Muslim extremists weren't happy about so they showed them what for. Yeah from our side of the fence America needed to do it because of power/control/money (oh yeah and 'humanity'/protecting people/stop the evildoers and all that bullshit they feed the dumb public for why it's ok to go kill people), but then from Muslim extremist point of view you have to destroy everyone that doesn't believe what you do because that's what Allah says (note I said EXTREMIST not that all muslims want to kill everyone before someone goes off on one of those). In both cases groups of innocent civilians were the target of the attack because the people in charge dun goofed because they want more money/power/control.

I don't understand why you think the politics of the situation are the more important part of thousands of people losing their lives in some fucking power game.
Image
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

User avatar
Grables
Posts: 2670
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Hove, Brighton.
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Grables » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:I don't understand why you think the politics of the situation are the more important part of thousands of people losing their lives in some fucking power game.


I never said that. I agree with everything else you said, but you were comparing a war (and a desperate war) to some other bullshit things the west have done over the past 60 years.
The War may have been a power game to some, but for the thousands of soldiers, or the people whos livelihoods were destroyed, it wasn't. Dropping those bombs was the right thing to do, otherwise things would have got even worse.
Image

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby houston404 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:49 pm

*renames thread long ranting essays* :P

'Can a nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot'.
Vladimir Lenin
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
Mad_Capsule
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Kingston

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Well it's called unpopular opinions for a reason :P I don't think dropping bombs on people is ever the right thing to do. Unless it's rounding up all the politicians with psychopathic tendencies consumed by greed... which I'm almost sure is all of them.
Image
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:Well it's called unpopular opinions for a reason :P I don't think dropping bombs on people is ever the right thing to do.

it's not as easy as that sometimes though. I think 99% of people think war is wrong. but you can't just say "bombing people is wrong" when you're fighting Nazi Germany or something.
yeah, you can argue levelling Dresden was wrong, or bombing Hiroshima was wrong, but it's not a black and white thing.

Killing thousands of innocent people in a terrorist attack is wrong. For balance, I'd say that the death of Iraqi/Palestinian civilians is also wrong, that's not the same as fighting against a nation in WW2.
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
Mad_Capsule
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Kingston

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I can and I do. I also think it's wrong for people to say 'yeah but in this case killing thousands of innocent people is ok'. It's people looking at the situation and how to get the best outcome for them in situations that could have been avoided but decidedly weren't. You know how you actually have a life and you have feelings and you have thoughts and you have connections and hopes and dreams? Apply that to the thousands of people that died rather than seeing them as a number or a circumstance that just had to happen. People who don't even want war get killed because the government/leader decides that they do, and there is no 'oh but we HAD to intervene because of X, Y, Z' because in other situations with the same X, Y, Z they decide not to intervene. And of course history is written by the winners so we're always the good guys that just had to break a few eggs (who deserved to be broken anyway so it's all okay really).

My opinion just happens to be I think killing people is wrong and sugarcoating the situation is just as bad, I didn't realise it was such an unpopular one :lol:
Image
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:My opinion just happens to be I think killing people is wrong and sugarcoating the situations is just as bad, I didn't realise it was such an unpopular one :lol:

and if everyone thought that way, the world would be fine.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you're saying we shouldn't have fought a war against Nazi Germany?

Or just not bombed German civilians? which is a line of logic that doesn't really work, because most of the soldiers killed were conscripts, who were essentially civilians as well, so we couldn't have shot at soldiers in the trenches, or bomber crews, or whatever. Essentially down to the level of not fighting at all.
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby houston404 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 pm

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic.
Joseph Stalin
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me


Return to “Chat and Off-Topic”