Rock’s NOT dead: but you might be killing it

Going to a gig, going to another festival, or want to tell people about the awesome riff that you just worked out.
rockgeek

Rock’s NOT dead: but you might be killing it

Postby rockgeek » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:03 pm

ThornDavis

Re: Rock’s NOT dead: but you might be killing it

Postby ThornDavis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:07 pm

What a ridiculous article. Does this guy have no conception of music from the pre-internet era? None of the behaviours he describes are 'new', as he asserts. They're well-entrenched. Think of punk, glam, metal, grunge, and how those bands used image to cue you into what you would hear before you even heard them play. There's nothing 'new' about judging a band (poorly or favourably) based on the look of that band. The channel may have changed but bands have always had stylised iconography that teed up your expectations before you heard them. It's just that you'd be seeing them on a record cover in the shop, or a t-shirt, or later on MTV, rather than on a facebook feed.

The idea of in-fighting and dismissiveness are hardly new either - just as punks sneered at glam, and just as grunge sneered at hair-rock, tribalism and alternative music have gone hand in hand. It's all part of the process of forming an identity around the music; nothing new, and probably central to its appeal.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Just take anything Terry Bezer says with a considerable pinch of salt. He always seems to want to be seen as Mr Open-Minded and whatever different people like should just be accepted, while saying that anyone who doesn't enjoy Limp Bizkit is an idiot who never has fun.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Ohhhh it's him. Yeah, I think I've had this argument with him directly, on The Twitter.

One final point, though. Do any of 'the kids' actually want the Classic Rock Grandads to enjoy their music? Surely part of the point is finding things that the older generation don't like and don't understand? Has any teenager ever, ever been turned off a band because a 45 year old looked at a picture of them and said something like "Ere, look at his hair - he looks like a right poofter"? Probably the best way for Classic Rock readers to annihilate Bring Me The Horizon's appeal would be to start turning up at the gigs and saying "what's this? It's got a good beat!".

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm

:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:58 am

I especially liked his comment about Hybrid theory :lol:
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Rick wrote:I especially liked his comment about Hybrid theory :lol:

the problem with that is he is imposing his opinion its not very well balanced and to me was a bit of a rant.

i bet he didnt say that about metallica doing the black album just because he doesnt want to see linkin park doesnt mean others wont its all about taste
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

Return to “Music”