Best of 2013

Going to a gig, going to another festival, or want to tell people about the awesome riff that you just worked out.
houston404

Best of 2013

Postby houston404 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:11 am

Once again the end of the year is upon us! Time to wheel out what you thought was the 10 best albums/Ep's and bands you saw live.

Albums:
1 Killswitch Engage= Although it's fairly inconsistent in having absolute classics and then some proper duds, the classics are some of the best material I have heard from anyone in years.
2 Pure Love= Frankie has come off better from his split from the Gallows with a corker of album that flirts with indie guitar work while remaining accessible to those who still see him as the old gallows singer.
3 Saxon= Hitting their stride once again, the production adds force to the songs to make a hard hitting collection of songs with their own unique elements. I defy anyone not to headbang to the riff in 'made in Belfast'.
4 Bad Religion= Returning from the punk roots they were drifting away from in the last few albums, BR release a batch of fast intellectually stimulating sonic blasts that are both varied and focused at the same time.
5 Volbeat= Releasing what has to be their best and most consistant album to date Volbeat make the jump from the minor leagues to future contenders of rock legends.
6 Heaven's Basement= After years of activity HB release their debut album! It has to be one of the best rock 'n' roll records to come out of the UK in the last few years. It unfortunatly suffers from some tracks being merely average.
7 Devildriver= Dare I say this is perhaps a more mature effort from Faffara and co? While no songs instantly leap out at you like previous records, it is a consistant record in contrast to previous efforts which is a redeeming feature after 'Beast'
8 Skeletonwitch= Leaning more on their black metal sound, skeletonwitch make their heaviest effort to date a fast run through a collection of short bursts of energy designed to make legions of metalheads sustain whiplash
9 Airbourne= Deciding to stop aping AC/DC, Airbourne make an experimental record... more of the same but if it ain't broke why fix it?
10 Death Angel= Death Angel's resurrection has unfortunatly not got the recognitiion they deserve, while this album won't change the situation it will give fans the fix they need but won't see them reaching now highs.

Live bands:
1 Pure Love (Southampton Joiners)
2 Saxon (Southampton Mo' Club)
3 Devin Townsend (Download)
4 Iron Maiden (Download)
5 Airbourne (Download)
6 Volbeat (Download)
7 Walking Papers (Download)
8 Burn the Fleet (Takedown festival)
9 Uriah Heep (Download)
10 Malefice (Takedown Festival)

Honourable mention to Bad Rabbits who I saw this last sunday, Absolutely epic! just can't be bothered to edit the list.
Last edited by houston404 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Black Wizard

Re: Best of 2013

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:18 am

At least review them. :P

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 pm

I'll take my album list from the one I sent to Already Heard's album of the year longlist thing (shameless plug)

Albums:
1: Arcane Roots
2: Coheed & Cambria
3: Alter Bridge
4: Middle Class Rut
5: FIDLAR
6: Heaven's Basement
7: Night Verses
8: Protest the Hero
9: TRC
10: Dream Theater

Live Shows:
1: Anamanaguchi, Upstairs at the Garage
2: Alter Bridge, Wembley Arena
3: Anamanaguchi, Southsea Festival
4: Letlive, Electric Ballroom
5: Electric Six, Y Not Festival
6: Queens of the Stone Age, Open'er Festival
7: Hacktivist, Takedown Festival
8: Max Raptor, The Black Heart
9: We Are the Physics, Great Escape Festival
10: Imagine Dragons, Isle of Wight Festival

Honorary mentions that wouldn't fit in the second list: Avantasia @ Bloodstock, Nordic Giants and frakk Buttons @ ArcTanGent, Future of the Left @ Southsea Festival and 2000 Trees, Middle Class Rut @ the Borderline. Expecting a couple of shows this month to be worthy of adding too. It's been a busy frakking year, and here's to 2014 being even busier.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Black Wizard wrote:At least review them. :P

I'll get around to that in abit
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Top 10 albums

1. Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP 2
2. Foals - Holy Fire
3. Cult Of Luna - Vertikal
4. Wumpscut - Madman Szpital
5. Carcass - Surgical Steel
6. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
7. Black Sabbath - 13
8. Ghost - Infestissumam
9. Placebo - Loud Like Love
10. Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Will do the top 10 live gigs later
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Not in order, but...

Clutch - Earth Rocker
I was disappointed by Clutch's previous record, but freakin' loved this one. Loads of absolute bangers on this album - Earth Rocker, DC Sound Attack, Cyborg Bette - and some of the best choruses they've ever recorded. There's many, many perfect moments on this album. Hell, DC Sound Attack manages more great moments than most albums on its own - from the harmonica that rides in on the intro, to Neil's fuckign awesome lyrics, to the way the music drops out for "An' I'm looking at you!" Freakin' great album

Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen
Volbeat just keep getting better and better in my opinion, and have managed the difficult trick of always sounding like Volbeat without repeating themselves from one album to the next. Outlaw Gentlemen is one of those albums I've been buying for other people just because I want to share its greatness. It's so confident and focussed and somehow brings together influences from amazingly diverse places whilst remaining coherent.

Ginger Wildheart - The Frankenstein Effect
Some people struggled to get on board with this Pledge-only album, but I actually prefer it to the others he did this year. It comes on like a slightly madder Wildhearts. The song structures are demented, but they make a lot of sense in their mad way, there's plenty of hooks to see you through the more deranged moments and THE RIFFS ARE frakking IMMENSE.

Kverlertak - Meir
This is one of those albums that kind of snuck up on me. I caught Kverlertak in New York in May, although I'd really only gone along to see Cancer Bats supporting. Kvelertak killed it. Bought the album and it didn't register with me for a while, but gradually it became one of those things I started playing more and more.

Gorguts - Coloured Sands
Utterly insane album. It actually makes stuff like Meshuggah seem quite linear and simple. It's totally friggin' nuts, but at the same time incredibly compelling. It's also a useful key to unlocking other crazy music - if you listen to this for forty minutes and then go back to something like The Frankenstein Effect, then TFE will suddenly sound... comprehensible.

Ministry - From Beer To Eternity
It seems like the only thing you're allowed to say about new Ministry albums is that they're not as good as older Ministry albums. But I freakin' loved this one. It makes for a far better swansong than either of their previous farewell albums, and brings together everything they've touched on in their career. The opening track is as tough to pin down as anything they've done, there's a few thrashers on there that evoke their 'Bush Trilogy', and there's a ton of samples, including a mad, brilliant swipe at Fox TV and a mash up of all those facepalming Republican-party-gets-rape-wrong quotes we all read with disbelief over the last few years. As much as making another 'farewell album' made Ministry look faintly ludicrous, I'm glad they did this and it stands with their very best, IMO.

Airbourne - Black Dog Barking
Not much to say about this - feels much more lethal than the album that preceeded it. Big, slamming hard rock tracks done by the (right) numbers.

Stray From The Path - Anonymous
Absolutely crazy hardcore punk album notable for it's ferocious energy. Chucking this on for the first time actually made my heart start racing. Feels like it's almost out of control, yet at the same time intricate and focussed, this is amazingly evocative of the kind of energy and tension you get at a dazzling gig.

Red Fang - Whales and Leeches
Immensely satisfying heavy rock.

Powerwolf - Preachers of the Night
Bought this after hearing Amen and Attack! on a sampler and I freakin' love it. It's super-cheesy, but done in that European way where the band can kind of appreciate its own absurdity whilst also believing 100% in the quality of the music. It's like, they started out thinking that it would be stupid and hilarious to pretend to be a catholic-werewolf-inquisition that played heavy metal, and somewhere along the line realised that it wasn't stupid - it was freakin awesome.
Last edited by ThornDavis on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Reviews. :bow-yellow:

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Reading that back, I think it's clear that I need to expand my vocablulary beyond the semi-ironic use of the word "freakin'".

RussellMa

Best of 2013

Postby RussellMa » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 am

the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:35 pm

my most listened to song on iTunes recently is literally just the names of serial killers over an EDM backbeat so i'm going to take that particular point of view with a pinch of salt if that's okay with you

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

JAMEZ!

Postby JAMEZ! » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Albums

1) James Blake - Overgrown
Immersive, soulful elctronic music to get lost in. Check out Retrograde.

2) The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Whenever, If Ever
Propper Emo with influences from Indie Rock and Post Rock. Sounds like short Godspeed You! Black Emporer songs played by Mineral. Check out Getting Sodas

3) Alkaline Trio - My Shame Is True
The best Trio album for 10+ years. Punk / Pop-Punk with a great dark tone. Goes to show, most people make their best music when unhappy (same goes for Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson)
Check out Kiss You To Death

4) Kanye West - Yeezus
60% great, 40% good, Its just Kanye being obnoxious and working with some great artists, can't really go wrong.
Check out Black Skinhead

5) The National - Trouble Will Find Me
A sobre, melincholly post-punk / indie Record. A more well rounded, smoother version of the sound they were going for on their last few records.
Check out I Should Live In Salt

6) Biffy Clyro - Opposites
It took a while, but this record is definitely just as good a Only Revolutions, if not better. As always with a double album, some tracks hit the mark, others miss, but there's something for everybody in there.
Check out A Girl and His Cat

7) Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
It sounds like the Tron soundtrack had a baby with the Drive soundtrack.
Check out We Sink

8) Death Grips - Government Plates
Noisy, glitchy, LOUD hip-hop / rap. Its not as paranoid as NO LOVE DEEP WEB, and doesn't have the massive tracks of The Money store, but feels like Ex-Military with more production value. Death Grips typically make paranoid, uncomfortable music, but this for some reason feels 'nicer'. It brings a freshness to what has been a set of albums with increasing 'pain'.
Check out This is Violence Now

9) The Knife - Shaking The Habitual
Its almost Synth-Pop, but theres something off about it. This disturbed mutation on electronic pop is an amazing experience.
Check out A Tooth For An Eye

10) Defeater - Letters Home
While including an narrative to each album, defeater manage to create amazing, progressive hardcore punk songs which just draw you in. I havnt listened to it that much, but its better than Endless Days and Sleepless Nights, and that was top 5 last years.
Check out Bled Out

Honorable Mentions to Fall Out Boy, Anamanaguchi and Danny Brown

Gigs

1) The Postal Service (Manchester Academy)
2) Gaslight Anthem (Manchester Academy)
3) Kvelertak (Manchester Club Academy)
4) Coheed and Cambria (Manchester Ritz)
5) Bowling For Soup (Manchester Academy)
6) Dillinger Escape Plan (Cockpit, Leeds)
7) Cancer Bats (Cockpit, Leeds)
8) Biffy Clyro (MEN Arena)
9) Reel Big Fish (Manchester Ritz)
10) Streetlight Manifesto (Moho, Manchester)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:36 pm

It's about time I made my contribution.

Gigs:

1. Iron Maiden - Donington Park/London. This probably won't come as a surprise to some of you as I am the resident Maiden fanboy. Both the Maiden shows I went to this year were fantastic and it was great to see some different songs from the 80s and 'Afraid to Shoot Strangers'. Even at the London show where I was on my own sitting in the back row of the top tier at the back of the arena I had a great time. It was actually really good to see the band for the entire set!

2. Avantasia - Bloodstock. Before August I'd been listening to Avantasia persistently for about 18 months and I was delighted when they were announced for Bloodstock and that I'd be able to go for the day (going to uni in Birmingham for a year was a great idea!). They subheadlined to Lamb of God (I left after Avantasia finished) but got a 90 minute set and it was as awesome as I expected it to be.

3. Steve Harris - Glasgow. The 'British Lion' album that Steve's side project released in 2012 is ok if a little bland. Since it's Steve Harris though I was ecstatic that he was playing in Glasgow on my birthday and that I was at home that weekend. It was a fun show and Steve didn't try to grab all the attention despite being the centre of it. He let the other guys in the band have their 15 minutes and there was a really good onstage vibe in the band and the interaction with the crowd was excellent. I never thought I'd get the chance to see such a legend in a tiny venue!

4. Megadeth - Glasgow. 'Super Collider' is a pretty weak album but since I love Megadeth I'll happily go to see them again and again. In June I saw them for the sixth time and they were, as always, excellent. They played a slightly different setlist to usual, even including some songs from 'Countdown to Extinction' since they didn't take that tour to the UK.

5. Gojira - Bloodstock. This was the third time I'd seen Gojira and the one I enjoyed the most. At Sonisphere 2011 I left early because I got a bit fed up with the crowd being so rough and having to watch them uphill. The Bloodstock set was a far more pleasant experience for me though and I actually recognized some of the songs!

Albums:

1. Avantasia - The Mystery of Time. An epic Power Metal album featuring members of a load of different bands. The atmosphere is pretty much spot on throughout. I'd recommend 'Black Orchid' and 'Saviour in the Clockwork' but avoid 'Sleepwalking' which is pretty lame.

2. Dream Theater - Dream Theater. When they announced that the new album would be self-titled I was pretty disappointed. The album itself took a while to grow on me but I eventually managed to appreciate it. It's not Dream Theater's best album by a long way but it's far from their worst. A solid album and I'd recommend 'Along for the Ride'.

3. Sepultura - The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must be the Heart. I've only had this album since Christmas Day so I haven't had managed to listen to it in any depth yet but it seems pretty good so far. I prefer 'Kairos' at the moment but this album looks set to grow on me. :)

4. Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Descent. I was really looking forward to hearing this album because I felt that Killswitch had lost their way a bit on the past two albums with Howard on vocals. However, this album is pretty mediocre and I don't think that it was Howard Jones that was the issue, instead I think a more ambitious approach to songwriting is required. I probably won't may much attention to Killswitch's progress anymore and I think they're pretty much based on their first two albums.Saying that I do enjoy 'In Due Time'.

5. Helloween - Straight out of Hell. This is also a mediocre album. It has a couple of highlights in 'Nabatea' and 'Waiting for the Thunder' but the abomination that is 'Asshole' is one of the worst songs ever written. Overall it's not a dreadful album but Helloween have done better and Andi Deris' voice sounds more and more like it's generated by a computer.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Albums:

Letlive - The Blackest Beautiful
Honningbana - Verden Er Enkel
Nails - Abandon All Life
Children Of God - We Set Fire To The Sky
Kvelertak - Meir
Doomriders - Grand Blood
All Pigs Must Die - Nothing Violates This Nature
Enabler - Flies EP
And last but not least Scumface - Good Honest Scumbags (split EP with my band).

There's no real order to my list, but Letlive are definitely top, the album blew me away.

I can't remember all the gigs I've been to this year but the stand out bands this year have been Letlive at Soundcontrol in Manchester and Honningbarna at Retro Bar. My band had the privilege of opening for Honningbarna and they were one of the best and most entertaining bands I've ever seen. I recommend seeking them out.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Xale

Postby Xale » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:48 pm

I only went to one gig last year :(
Oh well, I've got three lined up next month so it's all good :D

Edit: I'll add my album list later.

Hart Attack

Postby Hart Attack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 am

Favourite 25 albums:

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Or you could have typed them.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 am

Top 10 live:
1. Biffy Clyro (Reading / Rock Werchter / Guildford) - Simply perfect every time. Magical to see a band so humbled on stage, and a band that wholeheartedly deserve to be where they are today. Seeing them headline Reading is something I have always wanted to see, and they didn't disappoint (Getting to meet them shortly before was also a dream come true) I saw them in Guildford doing the same setlist, but the first time for me seeing them indoors which was amazing to see. I also saw them at Rock Werchter in the middle of the day on the smallest stage in front of a half packed tent. Completely surreal to see them in that setting, but still awesome all the same.

2. Rammstein (Download Festival / Rock Werchter) - Show has expanded even further from the one I was blown away by at Sonisphere 2010. Hopefully see them back here many more times. Seeing them at 2AM at Werchter was a treat

3. letlive. (Old Blue Last / Electric Ballroom) - First night at the Electric Ballroom was fantastic and again the Frontman seemed so humbled to be playing their biggest venue to date. Energy from the get go, and one hell of a performance. The next night though, they performed at Old Blue Last, which is one of the smallest venues they could have possibly played in London. No barrier, ripped my Madball shirt to bit. Best gig I have seen indoors all year, no question.

4. Baby Godzilla (On a boat / Barfly) - Go see them live. Basically the best UK live band about. Mental.

5. Fall Out Boy (Islington Academy / Reading) - Amazing both times, great new album to promote through both shows. Islington was rather special seeing them in such a tiny setting. Ended up crowd surfing with Pete Wentz and when Crowd surfing over Patrick pointing at me (FAN GIRL) along with getting a pick from each. WOOOOO

6. Panic! At The Disco (HMV Forum) - Brendon Urie is the best live vocalist I have ever heard. Got guest list for it, but wasn't expecting much as I only got GL to take a friend who was gonna pay silly money for a ticket. Blew me away. Can't wait to see them at Hammersmith.

7. System of A Down (Reading) - After being utterly underwhelming at Download 2011, they looked like a new band at Reading this year with seemingly having the second biggest crowd of the weekend behind Chase & Status. Full power all set, and looked to genuinely enjoy themselves. Awesome.

8. Blur (Rock Werchter) - Waited a long time to see them, and they didn't disappoint. Outstanding. Getting barrier was ace too.

9. Enter Shikari (100 Club, Dorking, Hatfield, Download, Warped Tour) - Favourite current band, Hatfield was the best. Mothership is the best live song out there. I don't need to say much else.

10. The Bronx ( Underworld) - Just mayhem. No barrier = Stage dive city. Was so exhausted after that one.

Honorable Mentions to: OFWGKTA (HMV Forum, Rock Werchter), Deftones (Reading), Gojira (Brixton), Pure Love (Banquet, Reading, Old Billingsgate), Billy Talent (Warped)
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

dian11

Postby dian11 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

The last topic is a great :) I like it

Xale

Postby Xale » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Okay, bit late to this, but I've pretty much just realised that 2013 wasn't a great year for me music-wise. But anyway:

1. Kvelertak - Meir
It didn't grab me instantly like their debut, but it's still very enjoyable. I just need to see them live now :)

2. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
There's a charm to it, but it's a bit too long. It could do with cutting a couple of songs out.

3. Pure Love - Anthems
When I first listened to it, I wasn't a fan. It seemed a bit too "safe" and unadventurous. But it grew on me, I absolutely love Beach of Diamonds too :D

4. Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart
This is an okay album. Most years I don't think it would make this list, but it does have a few awesome songs on it. Pretty forgettable overall, though.

5. Protest the Hero - Volition
I don't like the vocals, but I like the instruments... Meh.

Maybe I just didn't listen to enough albums last year, but even making a list of five was a struggle for me :(

Grables

Postby Grables » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Reading this list made me realize that I had been to frakk all gigs this year, mostly due to lack of funds and gooseberry.

Meshuggah and Devin Townsend co-headlining Brixton Academy was pretty epic, even though the sound for Devin was poor.

Alice In Chains playing ally pally in london was very good as well, just wasn't as a good as the tour they did in '09, which was pretty much unbeatable.

As for albums, I really can't remember what was released in 2013 tbh. All I can remember is some of my favourite bands released albums and they really dissapointed me:

NIN - Hesitation Marks - not bad, but had too much filler
AiC - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here - what the frakk are you doing guys? apart from the first 3 tracks, that was awful
Cancer Bats - Dead Set On Living - not terrible, but not great either
DEP - (dont remember what that one was called) - meh

I don't even want to listen to Megadeth's Supercollider if i'm honest.

Looking at that list I realize that's pretty sad. Maybe I need to listen to some new bands in the rock/metal category, if that was all that interested me in 2013.

On the other hand, 2 albums I did like very much don't fit into that genre, and those were Haim - Days Are Gone, and Daft Punk - Random Access Memories.

Grables

Postby Grables » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Thinking about it. Maybe one of the reasons I haven't discovered and new bands Is because it is truly all shite. Everything is a copy of a copy now, no one is doing anything inventive or inspiring, and if they are, they don't last very long due to the industry being completely fucked.

Most of the stuff I listen to is semi old now, and all those bands have either fucked off on some kind of hiatus, tour too much to release albums, or do release albums but have run out of gooseberry to say, so they just release tripe.

Return to “Music”