Gig Memories

Going to a gig, going to another festival, or want to tell people about the awesome riff that you just worked out.
IainTheDrummer

Gig Memories

Postby IainTheDrummer » Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 pm

This getting pretty big on twitter so I thought it would be fun to do on here

What's your favourite gig memories?

I'd say one of my top memories is from converge at the Glasgow g2 in July 2010

After an awesome set the band went off stage and a few minutes later they re-appeared on stage minus Jacob Bannon and stood for a couple minutes just looking at the crowd, the stage door which was a couple feet away from me flew open and Jacob was just standing there then he started walking towards the stage and on his way past I put my hand out and he full on hand above his head slapped it and stopped and just looked me in the eyes for a couple of seconds then ran on stage. It was just so cool I'll never forget it
Instagram - @panasonicyouthinrevolt

http://panasonicyouthinrevolt.tumblr.com/

Ross

Re: Gig Memories

Postby Ross » Tue May 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Refused on sunday, the entire set. That, and Gojira playing own of my favourite venues on my birthday few years ago.
:animals-cow:

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 am

One of the most entertaining moments for me was at one of my band's gigs, the headlining band, Dakesis, all ran outside to play a song on the street outside, was awesome. The poor drummer and keyboardist were stuck inside though :lol:

EDIT: Oh and at my band's last gig, my mate's band's singer pointed out that on the tv they were playing the Star Trek film, which was a coincidence as he promptly stripped off and he just happened to be wearing a lovely red star trek dress under his clothes, it was perfect timing :lol:
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Fri May 04, 2012 11:24 am

Rush playing Moving Picture in full will forever be the top one for me. Biffy headlining a major festival finally was an amazing thing to see, and Brian May playing with The Darkness last November. Actually said to my mate before hand that it wouldn't surprise me if he came out, then I walked in and saw his amp. :lol:
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

McMenemy

Postby McMenemy » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 pm

The whole of The Gaslight Anthem in 2010 at Southampton Guildhall. I was really suffering quite badly with the flu all day, still went. Got 2nd row from stage, sung almost every word of every song. Next morning, I felt like a freight train had ran over my head.

Also, November 2011, arriving later than we'd hoped for The Revival Tour and meeting Brian Fallon outside the venue. This was like my meeting Slash for most hard rock fans!

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm

thin lizzy at leeds queens hall in 1983 - 16th birthday and met Phil Lynnott - dont think i'll ever top that
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri May 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Shoving Alec Empire in the chest when he started a moshpit at the Atari Teenage Riot Show at Leeds fest 2010

System Of A Down breaking the barrier two songs in at Leeds fest 2003

Stagediving to Amen at the cockpit 2002

Seeing Machine Head for the first time in 2004, them opening with Imperium. it was like a bomb had gone off in the pit.

Prodigy in the tent at Download 2006. about 2 seconds into the first song (Spitfire) you knew it was gonna be an incredible show
:animals-cow:

whothefoo

Postby whothefoo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Either turning up about an hour before NIN played at the Scala and still getting front row somehow.
Or Flight 666 to Sweden... Bruce "Would you mind awfully screaming for me flight 666.".. Passengers: argghhhhh!!! .. Stewardesses faces were a picture, they were not expecting that.
Or Maiden at Cardiff when the power went just before Christmas... Bruce got a mega phone and the image of thousands of hairy sweaty metal fans singing Tom Jones will stay with me to the end.

Foz

Postby Foz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 am

At an Andrew WK gig in his Party hard pomp, he did a stage dive and after sorting himself out he looked around the barrier and tapped my arm to give him a pog up over the barrier after realising i was the only XXL among a barrier of 16 yr old streaks of piss. Flung him over, manly handshake and he went off on his sweaty, kicky, hand wavy way. Pretty cool.
Also got some picks off kirk Hammett at Manchester on the Death Magnetic tour

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:53 am

[quote="ANXIETY"]Rush playing Moving Picture in full will forever be the top one for me. Biffy headlining a major festival finally was an amazing thing to see, and Brian May playing with The Darkness last November. Actually said to my mate before hand that it wouldn't surprise me if he came out, then I walked in and saw his amp. :lol:[/quote

To add to this:
Carrying Frank Carter around the venue on my shoulders when I saw Pure Love at Old BIllingsgate. Him then giving me a setlist was awesome.

Biffy headlining Reading Festival, and meeting them beforehand and them being the nicest of guys.

Frank Carter jumping on stage with Gallows at Reading to do Orchestra of Wolves.

Baby Godzilla basically destroying a boat and having to finish their set 2 and a half songs into a 12 song set.

Seeing Limp Bizkit and getting a backstage pass from a pal in Baby G and meeting the band.

Finally doing an EU festival in 2013 and seeing Blur at something like 2 in the morning, and seeing Biffy Clyro play in the middle of the day on the smallest stage to a half empty tent. Depeche Mode completely blowing me away.

Doing the three dates of the Avenged UK tour and seeing how seemlessly they seem to have become this massive band.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:45 am

Jimmy Pop of Bloodhound Gang is the source of a couple. I vaguely remember him drinking a glowstick, puking it up into a cap, and then drinking that while on stage supporting Bowling for Soup in 2007. I all-too-vividly remember him pulling an amp crate with Chris from BFS lying on across the stage by his foreskin. A man's dick should not stretch that much.

The mini-reunion of Strapping Young Lad at Devin Townsend's Retinal Circus is a good one. Also helping We Are the Physics (along with others) with vocals for Goran Ivanisevic at the Great Escape last year.

Sitting on top of a three-storey Heineken tower while Justice headlined my first ever non-UK fest at 1AM is fantastic as well.

Joel O'Keefe climbing the scaffolding at Sonisphere, Baby Godzilla climbing frakking everything at ArcTanGent. The first time I saw Anamanaguchi, which was pure carnage, and the second time the very next day which was even more so. Finally seeing She Wants Revenge on their first UK show for six years, during what may have been their last UK tour. Seeing Black Sabbath, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Motorhead and countless more acts that my Dad loved before I was even born. I have so many gig memories that my head can't hold them all without forgetting something vaguely important like how to hold a spoon or how to write the letter G.

When I think about it, I've had a frakking good run so far. I'm all nostalgic now, cheers.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

diggerboot

Postby diggerboot » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Too many to list but three of them have to be
1.Seeing Thin Lizzy playing the Winter Gardens in Bournemouth (in the 70's)(the classic imo Robertson Lynott, Gorham , Downey lineup) , if i remember correctly just post release of jailbreak , the place barely had a couple of hundred people in and they played their socks off.
2. Seeing Ian Dury and the Blockheads at Poole , bloody marvellous band played an amazing intro (cant remember what) and as they got half way through this mini pack of amazing charisma walked (shuffled) onto stage . Quite apart from fronting an amazing band and writing cracking lyrics Dury had this amazing stage presence ...gooseberry (I'm getting shivers) you had to be there
3. Rammstein at Soni 2010 , (Unbelievably, i only knew one song at that time) The set went so quickly I thought I'd slipped into another time continuum. Amazing live band.

and to balance it three poor//bad ones :twisted:
1. Eric Clapton (Just post Ocean Boulevard) , I'm not saying the show was bad but the support act was better and that was a gooseberrying puppet show.
2. Queen (with Freddy Mercury) in Hyde Park ... just nothing no stage presence nothing clever they just played the songs .. the support bands were more entertaining
3. Watching (in the 70's) prog rock band Camel ... now I'm not saying there set was boring but I missed the middle 45 minutes cos I fell asleep!!!

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Camel now theres a name from the past !!!!!!
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

Fozzy

Postby Fozzy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Too many to mention really, but I'll go for Ozzy Osbourne at Leeds Queens Hall in December 1982. The Queens Hall was a shot hole to be honest, it was an old bus shed with a stage at one end and these big concrete pillars dotted around the venue, and it stunk of piss, but what it lacked in decor it certainly made up for in atmosphere, frakking brilliant. Unfortunatley Randy Rhoads had died earlier that year so Ozzy had Brad Gillis on guitar, thought he did a great job. Ozzy had recently shaved his head and looked a right rat-a-tat-tat, haha, but was still a brilliant concert. Seen Ozzy several times over the year but was never as good as this, great memories.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:19 am

Fozzy wrote:Too many to mention really, but I'll go for Ozzy Osbourne at Leeds Queens Hall in December 1982. The Queens Hall was a shot hole to be honest, it was an old bus shed with a stage at one end and these big concrete pillars dotted around the venue, and it stunk of piss, but what it lacked in decor it certainly made up for in atmosphere, frakking brilliant. Unfortunatley Randy Rhoads had died earlier that year so Ozzy had Brad Gillis on guitar, thought he did a great job. Ozzy had recently shaved his head and looked a right rat-a-tat-tat, haha, but was still a brilliant concert. Seen Ozzy several times over the year but was never as good as this, great memories.

was that the bark at the moon tour ? I saw him on that and he was huge !!!!

also leeds queens hal - remeber the black oily residue on your footwear when you left the venue !!!
it didnt help that it was a car park most of the time !!!

but it did have a brilliant atmosphere
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

Fozzy

Postby Fozzy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 pm

No it wasnt the Bark at the Moon tour Billy it was the Talk of the Devil tour end of '82, but i did see him on the Bark tour end of '83, he had Jake E Lee on guitar by then, both great gigs. :music-rockon:

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Fozzy wrote:No it wasnt the Bark at the Moon tour Billy it was the Talk of the Devil tour end of '82, but i did see him on the Bark tour end of '83, he had Jake E Lee on guitar by then, both great gigs. :music-rockon:

ah right , didnt catch him on that one but bark at the moon i saw him at preston guild hall !!! now that was a brilliant venue, standing and seating , cheap seats at the sides you paid for and then stood the more expensive seats were the ones with the best view , miss going to gigs at that venue
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

Return to “Music”