Amy Winehouse dies

Going to a gig, going to another festival, or want to tell people about the awesome riff that you just worked out.
ANXIETY

Re: Amy Winehouse dies

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:38 pm

kazz wrote:i am sorry that she died but i have no respect for her and to be brutally honest, i didn't like her music and don't think she had that big of an impact on music.

She no doubt had an amazing voice, though. Even if it isn't really your thing, she had masses of talent, and it is a shame to see it wasted at such a young age.
hybrid theorist wrote:even if it wasnt an overdose, the drugs must have contributed massively to her death.

Not questioning that, but it could have been anything that could have killed her rather than an overdose.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

kazz

Postby kazz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:48 pm

my opinion is that she didn't have that big an impact on music.

i am not disputing whether she had an amazing voice or not. i said that i didn't like her music. which is true. i don't. i also said she didn't have a big impact on the music scene.

she won't be remembered in 10 years time for being an amazing singer or whatever. she will be remembered as being yet another statistic. another young person destroyed by drugs.

but that is just my opinion of course. which i am fully entitled to have.

:?
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 pm

kazz wrote:but that is just my opinion of course. which i am fully entitled to have.

Oh.

duncang

Postby duncang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:57 pm

kazz wrote:my opinion is that she didn't have that big an impact on music.

But that is wrong. She caused a major swing towards postmodernism and retroism, and helped popular solo female artists in Britain to regain a sense of integrity, paving the way for Duffy, Adele et al

kazz

Postby kazz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:02 pm

opinions can't really be wrong though because they are a person's own perception of something.

you may have a different opinion to me, but it won't be wrong either.

roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

duncang

Postby duncang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:07 pm

kazz wrote:opinions can't really be wrong though because they are a person's own perception of something.

you may have a different opinion to me, but it won't be wrong either.

Stop being an idiot

I could tell you that Michelangelo didn't paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel because it's just my opinion!!!!
But he did and there's proof. There is also circumstantial evidence of Winehouse affecting pop culture like she did

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:23 pm

I think she's more famous than she should be, purely because it helps the tabloids and magazines sell copies. She released her last album 5 years ago, and has done very little since.

I didn't realise how big that album was tbh, but it sold almost 3m albums, which puts it near the top 20 of all time. I only know one of her songs (plus that cover of Valerie).
Have I just been living in a cave for the last 5 years, or is rehab her only big hit? According to Wikipedia it was her only top 10 single.

Duncang, you can say for a fact that Michelangelo painted the sistene chapel. You can't say as 100% fact that adele etc wouldn't have made it big without Amy winehouse.
Some opinions are more or less facts (amy winehouse only has herself to blame, ashley Cole is a foo foo, etc), but I'm unsure where her supposedly huge influence on music fits in.
:animals-cow:

duncang

Postby duncang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:34 pm

She had a handful of very big songs but the only massive hit besides Rehab was the album itself, reinforcing some of the artistry she injected back into the female solo craft.

The Valerie single with Mark Ronson is an example of the postmodern schtick as well. A singer collaborating with a DJ and cover artist to recreate a recent single which was written in a 60s pop pastiche style to begin with

Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:I think she's more famous than she should be, purely because it helps the tabloids and magazines sell copies. She released her last album 5 years ago, and has done very little since.

I didn't realise how big that album was tbh, but it sold almost 3m albums, which puts it near the top 20 of all time. I only know one of her songs (plus that cover of Valerie).
Have I just been living in a cave for the last 5 years, or is rehab her only big hit? According to Wikipedia it was her only top 10 single.

Duncang, you can say for a fact that Michelangelo painted the sistene chapel. You can't say as 100% fact that adele etc wouldn't have made it big without Amy winehouse.
Some opinions are more or less facts (amy winehouse only has herself to blame, ashley Cole is a foo foo, etc), but I'm unsure where her supposedly huge influence on music fits in.

That would be the vast amount of female artists that basically channel her who have broken big in the last few years. Adele, Florence and The Machine and Paloma Faith to name but three. Her influence is massive. Her drug problems have helped her profile for sure but her musical influence has fuck all to do with that. It's more what might have been.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Hammerzeit wrote:That would be the vast amount of female artists that basically channel her who have broken big in the last few years. Adele, Florence and The Machine and Paloma Faith to name but three. Her influence is massive. Her drug problems have helped her profile for sure but her musical influence has fuck all to do with that. It's more what might have been.

you're right, there wasnt any female artists around before that..... :?

I dunno tbh. you might be right, I don't pay that much attention to pop music

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:53 pm

You all need to read this.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/new ... enius.html

Scroll down to the 'full tribute'. Probably one of the most well written things I've read in years.

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

jadeylemonadey

Postby jadeylemonadey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 pm

The Norway/Winehouse facebook groups make me rage. If these two events didn't happen at the same time, nobody would be talking about the Norway attacks, at least to the extent that they are. When car bombs go off any other time of year, 90% of my facebook friends do not join a group about it. But everyone is jumping on the Amy Winehouse is a crackwhore who deserved to die bandwagon and comparing it to the Norway attacks. It's doing my head in. You actually do not care about either, yes both are sad, neither should have happened, but shut up about it and stop thinking you're all high and mighty for joining a group along the lines of '92 innocent people murdered, all you can talk about is one crackhead?' By joining that group you are also taking about the 'crackhead'
Just shut up.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:12 pm

jadeylemonadey wrote:Just shut up.

Suddenly, the whole world listens to Jade.

But seriously, that was a good read from Russell Brand.

jadeylemonadey

Postby jadeylemonadey » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:15 pm

I agree. Even the fuckups have a life and family and friends, nobody deserves to die.

duncang

Postby duncang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:24 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:
Hammerzeit wrote:That would be the vast amount of female artists that basically channel her who have broken big in the last few years. Adele, Florence and The Machine and Paloma Faith to name but three. Her influence is massive. Her drug problems have helped her profile for sure but her musical influence has fuck all to do with that. It's more what might have been.

you're right, there wasnt any female artists around before that..... :?

I dunno tbh. you might be right, I don't pay that much attention to pop music

Could you really not figure out what that post meant?

The vast amount of female artists that basically channel her
ie are greatly influenced by her
as in, she was massively influential on the state of female solo music as a type of popular music
as in, before her the 'scene' was, generally speaking, ruled by glossy Americanised Britney Spears types and after her it regained some integrity, with artists like Adele and Duffy running on a 'genuine woman' image and writing their own material, as Winehouse did.

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

If Duffy was the kind of fap Amy Winehouse influenced maybe it's a good thing she's no longer around :lol: You know when they say someone singing sounds like screeching cats? That saying was clearly thought of in preparation for Duffy.

Kaz you're right about the idiots moaning about how no one tried to help her, everyone tried to help her and she didn't want to be helped, fair enough. How are you meant to help people who don't want to help themselves?
Inb4 omgz she had an ADDICTION you don't understaaaaaaaand bawwwwwwwww
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:Inb4 omgz she had an ADDICTION you don't understaaaaaaaand bawwwwwwwww

But you clearly don't.

HarvesterofSorrow

Postby HarvesterofSorrow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I do not wish death upon anyone, and any death like this is tragic, but it was only a matter of time. She chose to stick needles in her arm, snort cocain and drink like a fish. She paid for her lifestyle with her life. I feel for her family and those she left behind, because those are the ones she has hurt, but I do not shed a tear for her. Like I said, she chose that lifestyle.
2011 - 05 May Iron Maiden (Frankfurt, Germany), 18 June Roger Waters The Wall Live (Duesseldorf, Germany), 2 July - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax (Gelsenkirchen, Germany), 8-9 July Sonisphere France (Amneville)

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

ANXIETY wrote:
Mad_Capsule wrote:Inb4 omgz she had an ADDICTION you don't understaaaaaaaand bawwwwwwww

But you clearly don't.

Ah and I suppose you do? She made a choice and had to live (or die as the case may be) with the consequences, it's what everyone does. If you choose to overindulge on food, you do it knowing there is a chance you get fat, if you choose to overindulge on cigarettes, you do it knowing that it increases your chances of getting lung cancer, if you choose to overindulge in drugs that have time and again proven they fuck up lives, you do it know that there is a chance your life will get fucked up.
I'm not saying she deserved to die, no one is atm but you seem to think that addiction means people shouldn't take responsibility for their actions and that is a load of tosh quite frankly, there is always a choice. People are less sympathetic towards those that do stupid gooseberry and die as a consequence, that's why we have the Darwin Awards and I can't imagine you sticking up for those people saying 'it's not their fault they're stupid, leave them alone', would you?
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Mad_Capsule wrote:
ANXIETY wrote:
Mad_Capsule wrote:Inb4 omgz she had an ADDICTION you don't understaaaaaaaand bawwwwwwww

But you clearly don't.

Ah and I suppose you do? She made a choice and had to live (or die as the case may be) with the consequences, it's what everyone does. If you choose to overindulge on food, you do it knowing there is a chance you get fat, if you choose to overindulge on cigarettes, you do it knowing that it increases your chances of getting lung cancer, if you choose to overindulge in drugs that have time and again proven they fuck up lives, you do it know that there is a chance your life will get fucked up.
I'm not saying she deserved to die, no one is atm but you seem to think that addiction means people shouldn't take responsibility for their actions and that is a load of tosh quite frankly, there is always a choice. People are less sympathetic towards those that do stupid gooseberry and die as a consequence, that's why we have the Darwin Awards and I can't imagine you sticking up for those people saying 'it's not their fault they're stupid, leave them alone', would you?

No, but you seem to think it as "She could have quit" people could look both ways when crossing the road, but we don't condemn them.

There is always a choice, but it isn't as easy as saying "Oh yeah, I'm done with that" There will always be a need for it. We know nothing of her life, or what was going on in it, so drugs could have been her way of getting out of it. People make bad choices all of the time, it was just this one is quite a major one. She is only human after all.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm

ANXIETY wrote:No, but you seem to think it as "She could have quit" people could look both ways when crossing the road, but we don't condemn them.

There is always a choice, but it isn't as easy as saying "Oh yeah, I'm done with that" There will always be a need for it. We know nothing of her life, or what was going on in it, so drugs could have been her way of getting out of it. People make bad choices all of the time, it was just this one is quite a major one. She is only human after all.

nobodies saying it's easy to quit, there's loads of celebrities who've been to rehab a dozen times because it's almost impossible to stop.

but some people seem to be saying "poor amy winehouse" when it's nobodies fault except herself. simple as that.
Plus, her most famous song about rejecting help of everyone who cared about her, so there's that.

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:44 am

its sad when anyone dies, but what annoys me is the people who suddenly start calling her a "musical genius" and saying how amazing she is... last week they probably wouldn't have said that stuff :?

i also heard someone on the news saying that "amy winehouse proved that you dont have to win x-factor to sell millions of albums" which is just an extreme example of how everyone is suddenly her fan. she was a talented singer but i don't particularly like her, and just because she's dead now doesn't mean i like her suddenly. it would be interesting to see how many fans her facebook group has gained in the last couple of days...

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Children of Bodom 17/02/09
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 am

darth moo wrote:its sad when anyone dies, but what annoys me is the people who suddenly start calling her a "musical genius" and saying how amazing she is... last week they probably wouldn't have said that stuff :?

i also heard someone on the news saying that "amy winehouse proved that you dont have to win x-factor to sell millions of albums" which is just an extreme example of how everyone is suddenly her fan. she was a talented singer but i don't particularly like her, and just because she's dead now doesn't mean i like her suddenly. it would be interesting to see how many fans her facebook group has gained in the last couple of days...

That's probably only because she was not the subject that everyone was talking about. Not all of them, but I am sure a lot of people will have still spoken of her in high regards if you ask them about her music before her death.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 am

It always seems to happen after someone dies unfortunately. Dimebag was my favourite guitarist before his death, but he seems to have gone from "really great metal guitarist" to "all time metal legend" purely by dying.
He was held in high regard before, but has been deified since his death.

The same can be said for most of them, whether its the recent ones like Paul gray or the rev, or ones further back.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

To be fair, I've not seen or heard anyone say that Paul Gray was an especially talented bassist.. obviously he was good at what he did but no one's hailing him as a bass legend.

Cliff Burton however....

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

Return to “Music”