Rammstein
Foo Fighters
RaTM
NiN

Undercard :
Mastodon
Gojira
DTP long late night set in Bohemia
Fear Factory late night in Bohemia (cos they come over far better indoors (never sure why)
Skunk Anansie
Kvelertak
Nico Vega
Qotsa
Puscifer
Primus

Epic Failure

Re: Bands you want to see at Sonisphere 2015

Postby Epic Failure » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:15 am

ThornDavis wrote:Off the back of the Punk Day announcement, I went to Amazon and bought a load of Epitaph 90's era punk albums. CiH talking about Rancid made me do it.

I'd also add Swinging Utters, New Bomb Turks and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes to the list of bands that should appear on the Punk Day, assuming that any of those three actually still exist.

The Gimmes exist when it suits them to. Usually when enough of them are in one area of the world to put on a show.

Which usually works well, because you can have the Gimmes and you might as well book NOFX, Lagwagon and Face to Face at the same time...
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 am

Sounds like Queen are going to touring with Adam Lambert on vocals again, so would not surprise me to see them reprise the headline slot they were due to have in 2012!

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am

Is that a joke :P ?

They even made a statement at the press release for 2015 and when asked who they have in mind for 2015 they said they wouldn't say other than not Queen with Adam Lambert :P

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 am

The thing about Queen with Adam Lambert is that it absolutely doesn't make me want to buy a ticket as I really don't see how it can be Queen without Freddie.

BUT...

Assuming the rest of the card was strong enough and I went, I reckon it would be frakking brilliant. Queen have just got so many incredible massive songs that would have the whole audience singing along and it would be great fun.

BUT

As I say, without Freddie, it doesn't tempt me to buy a ticket, and I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 am

I was happy with the booking in 2012 and wanted to see it, but it went down horribly in 2012 and most of the stigma/blame lay with Queen, even kili have realised that so rebooking would just bring that all up again and set the festival up for failure in the eyes of the public - even those who like the rest of the line up would be cautious about commiting due to that. Unless the other 2 headliners were massive and certified sellers e.g Acdc and sabbath or something. Perhaps also queen with someone closer to rock like Paul Rodgers too rather than Lambert

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:00 am

I had said all along that it would have been the headline slot of the summer, and probably the headline slot of all time for a lot of people had it gone ahead. Queen could pull out an amazing set list that people would know and would sing along to.

I can see what you mean about "it's not Queen without Freddie" however as to many people it would not convince them to buy a ticket, which to me was odd because Queen was the main reason I was prepared to spend £200 quid as I have seen bothKiss and FNM before and they just don't appeal to me as much.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am

It definitely had the potential to be the thing where people came away saying"That was 1000 times more fun than I ever could have imagined", but yeah... just something about it wasn't compelling. They kind of seemed like the tentpole headliner that year, when maybe they should have been the curveball. Neither Kiss nor Faith No More seemed to have the firepower to make people thinkg "OK... I'm desperate to see these other two bands so I will tentatively give Queen a chance."

Personally I think Kiss were the bigger problem. Defend them as much as you like, every line-up they've touched in the UK has been either the worst year ever for that festival, or put the event out of business altogether. They're friggin' toxic for UK festivals.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:01 am

I agree about Kiss being the bigger problem. I can't stand Kiss, I don't like their music and Gene Simmonds just seems like an awful human being.

Faith No More are a band I would love to see, but I don't quite see them as headliner size. They have some epic (lol) songs but I'm not sure they're a big enough draw for a lot of people.

The more I think about Queen, the more I think they would be a fantastic booking if they had two really good headliners. (i.e. Green Day and RATM?). Just thinking about 60,000 people belting out We are the Champions sounds like it would be a fantastic experience.

I'm won over and am now glad that Zac has booked Queen, Green Day and RATM. Good work Zac!

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Kiss, Incubus, Marilyn Manson, Within Temptation, fuckign Evanescence... you have to wade through an awful lot of dreck on the 2012 line-up before you get close enough to point the finger at Queen.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:22 pm

ThornDavis wrote:Personally I think Kiss were the bigger problem. Defend them as much as you like, every line-up they've touched in the UK has been either the worst year ever for that festival, or put the event out of business altogether. They're friggin' toxic for UK festivals.

I can't wait for metalicbear to read this, defend 2012 as the strongest lineup Sonisphere's ever had, and then explain that Kiss are a bigger draw than Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones in every single one of the 196 countries we have on our planet.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Most people just didn't give it much thought and dismissed Queen straight away. Same happened with my mate and the Prodigy, he dismissed them as dance music and went to see Electric Wizard but wishes he went to see Prodigy now! No-one imagined what it would actually be like to be in the crowd for Queen, singing to all the songs with 60,000 other people.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:48 am

I think Kiss would be alright as a headliner amongst certified sellers. That was the issue with with 2012 you had headliners who alone amongst big sellers would do well but as it was all 3 weak links who each needed a proper headliner it seemed weak

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Gnarkill wrote:he dismissed them as dance music and went to see Electric Wizard but wishes he went to see Prodigy now!

I did exactly that, for 5 minutes, until I realised EW are boring as frakk and went to check out Prodigy, who were ace. Thank god I gave up on EW.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Disgruntled Jim

Postby Disgruntled Jim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:01 pm

mrpaul wrote:
Gnarkill wrote:he dismissed them as dance music and went to see Electric Wizard but wishes he went to see Prodigy now!

I did exactly that, for 5 minutes, until I realised EW are boring as frakk and went to check out Prodigy, who were ace. Thank god I gave up on EW.

Same. Their sound was terrible from where I was and I was already pumped for The Prodigy, who ended up being the headliner of the weekend for me.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Disgruntled Jim wrote:
mrpaul wrote:

Same. Their sound was terrible from where I was and I was already pumped for The Prodigy, who ended up being the headliner of the weekend for me.

Same for me. I thought EW would be much better, a couple of my mates are big fans, but when the first five minutes were filled with one riff entirely I knew I'd made a mistake and I scarpered.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:23 pm

ThornDavis wrote:Kiss, Incubus, Marilyn Manson, Within Temptation, fuckign Evanescence... you have to wade through an awful lot of dreck on the 2012 line-up before you get close enough to point the finger at Queen.

Hell of a lot of people got caught up on Queen to be fair.

glawster2002

Postby glawster2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:25 pm

metalicbear wrote:
rockgeek wrote:Germany is the only country they could do anywhere near a headline slot in based on album sales

I can't even believe it's worth discussing!

In no way do Tool fit into both categories. Loads of people care which is why it's always brought up on forums, magazines and websites. Manowar are pretty much nowhere to be seen

Only Germany....yeah ok then. I forgot that they headlined Gods of Metal, Hellfest, Sweden Rock, Legacy, Sonisphere Bulgaria, their own Magic Circle festivals and have been trying to sort out a deal with Wacken for the last couple of years, not to mention famously turned down Bloodstock as it was too small for them. I also know that the Soundwave organisers have been desperately trying to book them to headline their touring festival over the last couple of years.

It's only a matter of time until Manowar headline a major festival in the UK.

That would be the same Manowar I nearly saw @ Reading in 1982, then.... I say nearly because they were refused a work permit so couldn't play. Diamond Head stepped in at the last minute and, despite virtually no time to rehearse played what Sean Harris later said was probably the best performance they ever did.

However I did see them @ Colston Hall in Bristol in 1984, a 1600-seater venue and there were all of about 20 people there!

My nephew saw them when they played @ O2 Academy in Birmingham in 2011, he said it was barely half-full and t-shirts were @ £55 each!

Hardly a ringing endorsement of their "popularity" in this country.

metalicbear wrote:As for Tool, how many people actually care about them in all honesty, Reading won't touch them; Melvin Benn branded them the most boring band to play at Reading, they haven't hit Europe since 2006/7, are in no rush to release their new album, how many years has it been now? even on the Download pole they're not exactly at the top.

Considering Tool have only ever played Reading once, the opening slot on the Friday afternoon of that year's festival, in 1993 I'm amazed Melvin Benn remembers it at all, let alone so clearly!!

The reality is that when they next tour Europe every Rock & Metal-based festival will be falling over themselves to sign Tool as headliners.

I saw plenty of people wearing Tool t-shirts over the weekend of this year's Sonisphere, I don't recall a single person wearing a Manowar one, though.
Last edited by glawster2002 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glawster2002

Postby glawster2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:29 pm

ThornDavis wrote:It definitely had the potential to be the thing where people came away saying"That was 1000 times more fun than I ever could have imagined", but yeah... just something about it wasn't compelling. They kind of seemed like the tentpole headliner that year, when maybe they should have been the curveball. Neither Kiss nor Faith No More seemed to have the firepower to make people thinkg "OK... I'm desperate to see these other two bands so I will tentatively give Queen a chance."

Personally I think Kiss were the bigger problem. Defend them as much as you like, every line-up they've touched in the UK has been either the worst year ever for that festival, or put the event out of business altogether. They're friggin' toxic for UK festivals.

I don't remember that being the case @ Donnington in 1988..... ;)

glawster2002

Postby glawster2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:44 pm

ThornDavis wrote:Kiss, Incubus, Marilyn Manson, Within Temptation, fuckign Evanescence... you have to wade through an awful lot of dreck on the 2012 line-up before you get close enough to point the finger at Queen.

A lot has been made of the cancellation of the 2012 festival being down to poor ticket sales, I think the London Olympics the same year would have had a far greater impact.

I know of a number of events that were cancelled in 2012 because of the more mundane problem of providing sufficient portable toilets, food stalls, etc, because they were already being used for the Olympics.

That is likely to have had a far greater impact.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:46 pm

glawster2002 wrote:

Didn't two people die that day? Other than that *huge success*.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Were those deaths directly linked to Kiss? I really hope that Gene Simmonds is somehow resposible for it.

glawster2002

Postby glawster2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 pm

ThornDavis wrote:
glawster2002 wrote:

Didn't two people die that day? Other than that *huge success*.

Yes they did, during Guns 'n' Roses set, sadly. However how can that be blamed on Kiss or anyone else?

I was there that day and up until the announcement of the two deaths was made, after Maidens set, it was considered a massive success.

glawster2002

Postby glawster2002 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:10 pm

CherryInHove wrote:Were those deaths directly linked to Kiss? I really hope that Gene Simmonds is somehow resposible for it.

No, as they occurred during Guns 'n Roses set.

Why would you hope anyone would be responsible for someone else's death? What an appalling thing to hope for.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 am

To be fair you could argue we are only talking in recent terms, there are bands who would have headlined festivals in the 80's who would be low card bands these days, whilst that's not the case with Kiss, the 80's were their time, and since then any festival they've touched has struggled.

Return to “2015 Wishlists and Rumours”