Dream Theater

rockgeek

Dream Theater

Postby rockgeek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Dream Theater is an American progressive metal band formed in 1985 under the name Majesty by John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy while they attended Berklee College of Music in Massachusetts, before they dropped out to support the band. Though a number of lineup changes followed, including Portnoy’s departure in 2010, Petrucci and Myung remain today along with James LaBrie, Jordan Rudess and Mike Mangini.

The band has had moderate mainstream success, notably with Pull Me Under in the early 1990s, which received extensive MTV rotation. Dream Theater’s (commonly abbreviated ‘DT’) three highest selling albums are the gold selling Images and Words (1992), despite it reaching only #61 on the Billboard 200 charts, and Awake (1994) which reached #32 on the Billboard 200. Systematic Chaos entered US Billboard 200 at #19. Recently Black Clouds and Silver Linings reached #6 on the Billboard 200 Charts. Dream Theater has sold over two million albums in the U.S., and over 8 million albums and DVDs worldwide.

In January of 2005, the band obtained their first United States platinum disc (representing 100 000 DVDs sold) with Live At Budokan, recorded April 2004 in Tokyo, Japan.

The band released an album entitled Systematic Chaos, their ninth studio album, in collaboration with their new label Roadrunner Records.

PurpleDemon

Re: Dream Theater

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Jesus tatty bojangles. This is going to be incredible.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

zebby

Postby zebby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Slowly getting into them.

Didn't think that much first time I heard them. Had my headphones in while walking the dogs tonight, and phone on shuffle.

Three times I had to take my phone out of my pocket to check what I was listening to as I realised I was walking along with a big stupid gooseberry eating grin on my face.

Three times it was dream theatre.

Gonna spend the weekend listening to them.

Loud.

Gods help the neighbours....

:clap:
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:08 pm

rockgeek wrote:The band released an album entitled Systematic Chaos, their ninth studio album, in collaboration with their new label Roadrunner Records.

Not exactly an up to date bio. :P

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Not big enough to headline Saturn stage and they weren't big enough in their prime let alone now.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I would disagree and say they are plenty big enough to fill that slot due to rarity and uniqueness, and personally i think its going to be a great set.

Out of the two its slayer who I strike me as the massively out of place band.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Blackwater wrote:Not big enough to headline Saturn stage and they weren't big enough in their prime let alone now.

Oh shut up Blackwater. They're bigger than they ever have been now that Mike Portnoy has left. I've explained this to you before but you had no response so I guess you'll just keep reiterating the same point. Anyway, how bloody big does a band need to be to headline Saturn? The Mars Volta are hardly Rock titans. :?

Xale

Postby Xale » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Blackwater wrote:Not big enough to headline Saturn stage and they weren't big enough in their prime let alone now.

Oh shut up Blackwater. They're bigger than they ever have been now that Mike Portnoy has left. I've explained this to you before but you had no response so I guess you'll just keep reiterating the same point. Anyway, how bloody big does a band need to be to headline Saturn? The Mars Volta are hardly Rock titans. :?

Steady on, mate. You remember what he did to the Download forums.

As for Dream Theater, I like some of their songs but I'm not sure if I like them enough to see them. I'll see how I'm feeling on the day :)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:20 pm

I hope you'll be feeling very... progressive.

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Certainly won't be watching. Never even heard of them till they were announced, so I don't think they're big enough to headline saturn.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Considering they've sold out Wembley Arena, headlined a 30000+ strong festival alongside Judas Priest, and their last two albums have made it into the top 20 in the UK, with the two before that both in the top 25 (compared to the 23 and 41 slots that Slayer managed with their last two releases), I'd say they're definitely the more fitting choice of this year's Saturn headliners. Slayer shouldn't be anywhere near that slot if you ask me, but Dream Theater are a good choice.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

diggerboot

Postby diggerboot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 pm

MetalMan wrote:Certainly won't be watching. Never even heard of them till they were announced, so I don't think they're big enough to headline saturn.

Really?!?
:shock:

Return to “Saturn”