Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls

rockgeek

Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls

Postby rockgeek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Frank Turner (born 28 December 1981) is an English folk/punk singer-songwriter from Meonstoke, Hampshire. Initially the vocalist of post-hardcore band Million Dead, Turner embarked upon a primarily acoustic-based solo career following the band’s split in 2005. To date, Turner has released five solo albums, two rarities compilation albums, one split album and five EPs. Turner’s fifth studio album, Tape Deck Heart was released on 22 April 2013.

Frank Turner started solo acoustic shows prior to Million Dead’s break up. The first official performance was at the first Small Town America all dayer at 93 Feet East on September 18th 2004. The solo performances were, in a sense, a sideline to Million Dead. They did allow Turner to display some of his own songwriting capabilities (without a band) as well as some covers of songs and bands he enjoyed, in some cases the songs were much re-worked to fit an acoustic atmosphere. Solo performances were also used to help bolster or expose Million Dead to new individuals as well, with some acoustic in-store and radio performances of Million Dead songs.

At the end of February and start of March (2006) Frank went to Oxford to record the “Campfire Punkrock” EP with Dive Dive as the backing band for three of the songs. This EP was released on May 15 2006 on a limited run through Xtra Mile recordings. It sold out after only a few weeks on sale and had to be re-pressed to meet demand.

Blackwater

Re: Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Awful and far too high on the line-up for Sonisphere. Really not sure why he's playing as he doesn't fit in with this festival at all.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Maiden Hammer

Postby Maiden Hammer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Have to agree. Ridiculous to have him so high up on the main stage. Certainly won't
be bothering watching him. Waste of a slot that could have had a decent classic metal/rock band.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm

How is an arena sell out act too high up? Fair enough he might not be your cup of tea but there's plenty of classic acts, nice to have something a wee bit different. Though we could argue about that till we're blue in the face. Surprised he's as low down as he is considering he's arguably bigger than Alice in Chains, Deftones, Slayer and Limp Bizkit.

Looking forwards to him, his festival sets are always top notch.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:08 pm

May not be the most popular addition, but looking forward to catching him here and at Y Not next year, was pretty good in his full band set at 2000trees.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Xale

Postby Xale » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Best thing on Apollo this year for me.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 pm

One of the acts I'm most looking forward to, Love Frank Turner.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I may watch him if nothing better is on, far more likely I will have a nap on the grass
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

Xale wrote:Best thing on Apollo this year for me.

Fantastic addition to the festival. If anything he needs a higher slot.

Can't wait, It should be a good mix of new album stuff and classics I think :)
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

MetalMan

Postby MetalMan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Though I am a fan & looking forward to seeing him, I do think he is way too high up in the line up, I'd expect him to be on the second stage normally.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Does it really matter at Sonisphere though considering both mainstages are near enough equal size and alternate? He was mainstage at Reading and Leeds last year and sells out bigger venues than all the sub headliners playing so I think it's pretty deserved, arguably could have sub-headlined apollo or headlined saturn. Reckon he would have headlined Saturn instead of Slayer but as he's a big Maiden fan - having won Celebrity mastermind a few months back with Iron Maiden as his subject, reckon he wanted to play the same stage as them, hence he's 3rd down Apollo instead.

mart356

Postby mart356 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:47 am

kipper64 wrote:Does it really matter at Sonisphere though considering both mainstages are near enough equal size and alternate? He was mainstage at Reading and Leeds last year and sells out bigger venues than all the sub headliners playing so I think it's pretty deserved, arguably could have sub-headlined apollo or headlined saturn. Reckon he would have headlined Saturn instead of Slayer but as he's a big Maiden fan - having won Celebrity mastermind a few months back with Iron Maiden as his subject, reckon he wanted to play the same stage as them, hence he's 3rd down Apollo instead.

Yeah, im really not a fan of him but i think hes big enough that he could of sub headlined apollo.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:14 am

mart356 wrote:
kipper64 wrote:Does it really matter at Sonisphere though considering both mainstages are near enough equal size and alternate? He was mainstage at Reading and Leeds last year and sells out bigger venues than all the sub headliners playing so I think it's pretty deserved, arguably could have sub-headlined apollo or headlined saturn. Reckon he would have headlined Saturn instead of Slayer but as he's a big Maiden fan - having won Celebrity mastermind a few months back with Iron Maiden as his subject, reckon he wanted to play the same stage as them, hence he's 3rd down Apollo instead.

Yeah, im really not a fan of him but i think hes big enough that he could of sub headlined apollo.

I'd like to see Soni put Turner above Deftones and have it end any other way than with a repeat of the Bizkit/Machine Head situation from 2009.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

elite192

Postby elite192 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:03 pm

kipper64 wrote:Surprised he's as low down as he is considering he's arguably bigger than Alice in Chains, Deftones, Slayer and Limp Bizkit.

He's certainly not bigger than most of those. Maybe more relevant at the present time, as most of those have had their days, but not bigger.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Have AIC or Deftones sold out Wembley arena. Certainly not recently and I don't think even in their prime

elite192

Postby elite192 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 pm

But they're American. Surely it isn't fair to compare what American bands have done in Britain with what British artists have done in their own country.

Xale

Postby Xale » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 pm

elite192 wrote:But they're American. Surely it isn't fair to compare what American bands have done in Britain with what British artists have done in their own country.

Why not? British festivals give bands their place on the lineup because of how big the are in Britain. Volbeat headline plenty of European festivals but that doesn't mean they're bigger than Frank Turner in the UK.
I think the reason Frank Turner is third down rather than subbing/headlining second is because he tours an awful lot, as opposed to Deftones, who are more of a rarity.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Worldwide draw is pretty irrelevant when looking at how big an artist is in the UK, when discussing a placement at a UK festival. In a sense of a festival booking he's (arguably) bigger, has sold out bigger venues, and currently more relevant too, hence why 3rd down seems pretty reasonable considering he could probably play further up the line up. An arena sellout act, whose last album got to no.2 in the charts (and no.1 in iTunes charts), he played 4th down at Reading and Leeds last year but that was underneath Green Day and Soad (2 acts that could headline Sonisphere), Deftones (again funnily enough :P ), so judging where he has been placed on Saturday at Sonisphere makes sense as he's certainly much much bigger than the likes of Anthrax and Ghost, and as I said, arguably bigger than bands like Deftones and AIC though Deftones being a UK exclusive show for 2014 and being a bigger draw for the sonisphere demographic I can see why he's under them, but there's no way he should be playing any lower which is why I'm confused people seem to be disputing his placement.

elite192

Postby elite192 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Ye fair enough I don't know why but I was just thinking of world-wide popularity. And yes I think 3rd down is right I know he shouldn't be any lower, just thought he shouldn't be any higher than that but maybe I underestimated his popularity.

Return to “Apollo”