Gary Numan

rockgeek

Gary Numan

Postby rockgeek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:32 pm

One of the founding fathers of synth pop, Gary Numan’s influence extends far beyond his lone American hit, “Cars,” which still stands as one of the defining new wave singles. That seminal track helped usher in the synthpop era on both sides of the Atlantic, especially his native England, where he was a genuine pop star and consistent hitmaker during the early ’80s. Even after new wave had petered out, Numan’s influence continued to make itself felt; his dark, paranoid vision, theatrically icy alien persona, and clinical, robotic sound were echoed strongly in the work of many goth rock and (especially) industrial artists to come. For his part, Numan just kept on recording, and by the late ’90s, he’d become a hip name to drop; prominent alt-rock bands covered his hits in concert, and a goth-flavored brand of industrial dance christened darkwave looked to him as its mentor.

Numan was born Gary Anthony James Webb on March 8, 1958, in Hammersmith, West London, UK. A shy child, music brought him out of his shell; he began playing guitar in his early teens and played in several short-lived bands. Inspired by the amateurism of the punk movement, he joined a punk group called “The Lasers” in 1976. The following year, he and bassist Paul Gardiner split off to form a new group, dubbed “Tubeway Army”, with drummer Bob Simmonds; they recorded a couple of singles under futuristic pseudonyms (Valerium , Scarlett, and Rael, respectively) that attempted to match their new interest in synthesizers. Scrapping that idea, Webb rechristened himself Gary Numan and replaced Simmonds with his uncle Jess Lidyard. Thus constituted, “Tubeway Army” cut a set of “punk-meets-Kraftwerk” demos for Beggars Banquet in early 1978, which were released several years later as “The Plan”.

zebby

Re: Gary Numan

Postby zebby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Yes. Very happy with this one. If we canny have NiN, at least we have the guy without whom etc etc yada yada.

I have managed to go years of managing to be in the wrong city at the wrong time whenever he has played.

Finally getting to see him. Chuffed.
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Awesome, Get to see Numan at Soni as well as Alt, Should be 3rd down on main though instead of that other band.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Grables

Postby Grables » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:07 pm

He was frakking amazing in 2010. One of the most surprising acts i've seen at a festival. His show live show is very NIN esque, and because it was a rock festival, he played a set oriented around his newer, heavier stuff. of course there were a couple of classics thrown in as well. Though at the time, the atmosphere, lighting and the timings were just perfect for it, so that doesn't mean to say he will be as good this time. Lets hope.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:22 pm

So is this basically like a hip-hop influenced version of Gary Oldman, with Adidas trousers and a red baseball cap?

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes.

diggerboot

Postby diggerboot » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:50 pm

As much as it grates , cos imo he pales in comparison to NiN , he did put on a very good set in 2010 , so quite looking forward to seeing him again . Although not partic to my taste I'm actually quite pleased to see Band of Skulls in that position they're a hard working band who are really quite pleasant to listen (faint praise?) and provide a nice counterpoint between Numan and the Prodigy . i am however mighty pissed about 65 days of static placement cos it looks like I'm going to miss them again (this happened last time they played Soni)

Return to “Apollo”