Band of Skulls

rockgeek

Band of Skulls

Postby rockgeek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Band of Skulls are an alternative rock band that formed in 2008 in Southampton, England. The band consists of Russel Marsden (guitar, vocals), Emma Richardson (bass, vocals), and Matt Hayward (drums), who formed a band after they all met in college.

Initially, they played at night clubs in the greater London area and recorded some demos under the name of Fleeing New York before changing their name to Band of Skulls in November 2008. Their debut album Baby Darling Dollface Honey, distributed by Shangri-La Music, was released exclusively on the iTunes Store on 6 March 2009, followed by a general release on 20 March. The track I Know What I Am was chosen as iTunes’ free Single of the Week to coincide with the digital release. The song was also featured in the soundtrack for TV series Friday Night Lights, Volume 2, which was released on 4 May 2010. The song also appeared in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Another track that was not actually on the album, “Friends”, was included on The Twilight Saga: New Moon soundtrack in November 2009.

On 23 March 2010, Band of Skulls released Friends EP, which includes the studio-recorded version of “Friends”, a live version, and a music video of the song.

Band of Skulls played at the SXSW Festival in early 2010 and toured the Midwest in March in support of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. The band appeared on the French TV show Taratata broadcast in March 2010, where they covered the song “Sympathy for the Devil” by The Rolling Stones with the band John & Jehn.[4] In April 2010, they toured the U.S.

PurpleDemon

Re: Band of Skulls

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Happy with this one. Will probably see them headlining 2000trees too so not too fussed if they end up clashing with someone else. Going by how unenticing Bohemia is between Hounds and 65dos, however, there won't be too much competition.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm

A very ambitious slot no? Can't believe they've been placed on Apollo and above Gary Numan as they are relatively unknown to anyone outside of Reading festival.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Xale

Postby Xale » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 pm

I hadn't heard anything by them before they were announced, but after giving them a proper listen, they're alright. Remind me a bit of The White Stripes/early Kings of Leon. I'll watch them if there's nobody else good on and drinking in the campsite doesn't sound appealing.

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 am

A big slot for a band not many have heard of. I have given them a go and they sound okay. It wouldn't surprise me if big things come of this band.
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

zebby

Postby zebby » Thu May 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Nopes.

Just played the albumn. I don't hate it, but not sure if it warrants an outing on the main stage.

Some of it sounded a bit pink Floyd ish, some of it a bit simon and garfunkle. Some of it a bit dull and uninspiring.

Are they on around dinner time? Which way to the noodles?
A kid once said to me “Do you get hangovers?” I said, “To get hangovers you have to stop drinking.

Lemmy

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Mon May 19, 2014 12:03 am

They are onto their 3rd album and probably deserving of the 4th down slot on that grounds based on the following that they have already. That being said, most of their following probably aren't going to be at Sonisphere, so it is a bit of an odd choice at this specific festival.

I think they are often promoted by Kililive, so I suspect that is one of the big reasons why they are getting a decent slot here this year.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

the_arsonist

Postby the_arsonist » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Had a listen to a few of their songs to see what they were like and am really enjoying this band, will definitely be seeing them as long as they don't clash with 65dos.

I do agree that it's an odd booking, can't imagine many people at soni actually liking them since it's really not at all heavy. Some of their songs are at the heavier end of rock but nowhere near metal - in fact looking at it the whole of friday on apollo is really odd, such a mismatch of styles all the way through, usually festivals tend to put bands on after ones that the same crowd may enjoy but soni have obviously just thought frakk that!

Upcoming Gigs: Arcane Roots, Polar, Mongol Horde, Hundredth, The Bronx, Pearl Jam, Converge, Superheaven, Heights, Parkway Drive

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm

I think they've just went with feel good/party/bands you can dance to, with obviously a sort of electronic and/or gothy rock theme running through a lot of them too. BoS are sort of sticking out from that, but early evening and some bluesy rock with a beer should be quite a nice change from the rest of the day, between the gothyness and the electronic madness from Bizkit/Prodigy later on.

Return to “Apollo”