Metallica setlist

King_Walnut

Re: Metallica setlist

Postby King_Walnut » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:30 pm

mrpaul wrote:
The 59 Sound wrote:Haha Glastonbury wont get rid of them because of a mad fb group.

I think their setlist their will be a greatest hits setlist with a few 'softer' tracks to be swapped for a few 'heavier' tracks.

So Glasto would get a more interesting and diverse set than any of the 'By Request' set list gigs will, by default.

Sad but True.

If this kicks off another chain of Metallica based puns then I'm going on a killing spree
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:27 pm

King_Walnut wrote:
mrpaul wrote:
The 59 Sound wrote:Haha Glastonbury wont get rid of them because of a mad fb group.

I think their setlist their will be a greatest hits setlist with a few 'softer' tracks to be swapped for a few 'heavier' tracks.

So Glasto would get a more interesting and diverse set than any of the 'By Request' set list gigs will, by default.

Sad but True.

If this kicks off another chain of Metallica based puns then I'm going on a killing spree

Nothing Else Matters
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:08 pm

mrpaul wrote:

Diverse, maybe. Not convinced it becomes a more interesting setlist. And I'm really not convinced that "softer" Metallica is better Metallica.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 am

Epic Failure wrote:
mrpaul wrote:

Diverse, maybe. Not convinced it becomes a more interesting setlist. And I'm really not convinced that "softer" Metallica is better Metallica.

Perhaps 'different' rather than interesting then. It would have some out-of-the-blue songs that were expected of a 'by request' set but were never likely.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:38 pm

mrpaul wrote:
Perhaps 'different' rather than interesting then. It would have some out-of-the-blue songs that were expected of a 'by request' set but were never likely.

To be honest, I'm expecting it to have songs that you wouldn't get in a 'by request' set. I thought that, if the by request set went any way other than a GH set, it would be the hardcore fans getting together and getting some more obscure songs off the first few albums in there (a bit like Finland did with Frayed Edges...)

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming that the Glasto set will be "soft" Metallica (ie lots of stuff from Black album, load/reload etc). Whilst a bit unusual, can't really see it being as popular at Soni.

AutographVirus

Postby AutographVirus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:32 pm

After watching their Rock AM Ring set last night, It's a shame St. Anger isn't in the Knebworth setlist. Sounded great, forgot what a tune it is
Download 09, 10, 12, 13
Sonisphere 11, 14
Ozzfest London 2010

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Did anyone catch why they had to restart Justice twice?

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Why are people assuming they are playing softer material at Glasto? I know it's a different audience to the ones they normally play for but they haven't said anything and it's not like they've been touring a softer set recently; arguable they've been booked for their standard (heavier) set by default.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:39 pm

houston404 wrote:Why are people assuming they are playing softer material at Glasto? I know it's a different audience to the ones they normally play for but they haven't said anything and it's not like they've been touring a softer set recently; arguable they've been booked for their standard (heavier) set by default.

When they did live earth, they only played Black Album songs IIRC (though they only had 20 minutes or so). I reckon that's a decent comparison, that's more the crowd who'll be at Glastonbury.

I'd imagine its just gonna be a greatest/biggest hits set at Glasto. Which will obviously be a lot of Black album stuff, but its not like they're going to cut Master Of Puppets or anything. At a guess, I'd say there won't be much from Kill em All, but its not going to be fade to black, unforgiven, nothing else matters, unforgiven 2 and 3.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:47 pm

I just really hope they leave out stuff like Unforgiven and Fuel and stuff that requires singing power.

We all kind of gloss over the fact that James's singing voice is not good at all (although admittedly better than it was in the late 90's). The mainstream media will tear into that I think.

I can't actually bring myself to listen to most of the stuff on S&M because of how badly his voice makes me cringe.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:47 pm

I actually think James's voice was at it's best during S&M and in fact during Load and Reload.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:55 pm

houston404 wrote:Why are people assuming they are playing softer material at Glasto? I know it's a different audience to the ones they normally play for but they haven't said anything and it's not like they've been touring a softer set recently; arguable they've been booked for their standard (heavier) set by default.

It's more to the fact that if they don't play a different set at Glasto the Metallica By Request set at Sonisphere will look like a complete waste of time as their By Request set for Soni has ended up the bog standard Metallica set list. It would make sense for Metallica to play more Load and Reload material anyway as it will be appreciated more by Glasto goers and Metallica will probably gain more fans by showing they don't just play Thrash/Heavy Metal! It all makes perfect sense Metallica would be really stupid otherwise.
ImageImage

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:03 pm

King_Walnut wrote:Did anyone catch why they had to restart Justice twice?

James was saying it was because he fucked up. They skipped the proper start of the song the first couple of times, though Kirk started playing it before they finally got going.

I'm mildly amused that they had been doing the vote all the set but they got about 20% of the total votes whilst they were playing St Anger. Says it all.

re Glasto, clearly they aren't going to drop Master, One or Seek and Destroy. There will be those and the other songs you expect to hear at pretty much any show - Nothing Else Matters, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Sanitarium and a few others. It's just I don't see them choosing to pick something like, say, Disposable Heroes over Memory Remains or Until It Sleeps for the 8-10 songs that will be a "surprise". And I further doubt that, if they do a cover, that they would choose, say, So What instead of Whiskey In The Jar.

It's not going to be an unrecognisable setlist, clearly, but I think they are savvy enough to think that their best chance of getting "new" fans is with some of the less "heavy" stuff. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, of course.

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Blackwater wrote:

It's more to the fact that if they don't play a different set at Glasto the Metallica By Request set at Sonisphere will look like a complete waste of time as their By Request set for Soni has ended up the bog standard Metallica set list.

I disagree that it has become a "bog standard" setlist, simply because even they normally choose to vary the set list more than the Soni one is!

For me, the choices that the Soni crowd have made isn't so much a "bog standard" setlist but the absolute epitome of a "greatest hits" set.

tomshearer

Postby tomshearer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Epic Failure wrote:For me, the choices that the Soni crowd have made isn't so much a "bog standard" setlist but the absolute epitome of a "greatest hits" set.

Couldn't agree more.

Would like to see some rarities, but it's unlikely :(

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Epic Failure wrote:
Blackwater wrote:

It's more to the fact that if they don't play a different set at Glasto the Metallica By Request set at Sonisphere will look like a complete waste of time as their By Request set for Soni has ended up the bog standard Metallica set list.

I disagree that it has become a "bog standard" setlist, simply because even they normally choose to vary the set list more than the Soni one is!

For me, the choices that the Soni crowd have made isn't so much a "bog standard" setlist but the absolute epitome of a "greatest hits" set.

The bog standard Metallica set list IS the Greatest Hits set and it's the set they play at festivals every year which is the whole point of my post! Metallica are going to want to drop the greatest hits set for Glastonbury as it will look the same as the Sonisphere set which is supposed to be a special set as the crowd have chosen it. If they play the greatest hits set at Glastonbury the whole Metallica By Request gimmick will look fu cking stupid therefore are gonna want to steer clear of the usual songs.
ImageImage

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Might be worth noting that Metallica have never played the same setlist twice..

Foz

Postby Foz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 pm

I wouldn't be suprised if it were 'black album and friends' to be honest.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 pm

I could understand a band who aren't or are on the verge of becoming an established act catering to the audience in terms of set list, but Metallica don't need to do it. I imagine a lot of Glastonbury goers know of Metallica, although not necessarily seem them so don't need to change the set list if they don't want to as they are established.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm

I was just doing a conference thing with work , and one of the other stands was manned by an incredibly attractive girl from New York. We got talking during a quiet patch and she mentioned that she was going to Glastonbury this year. "So you'll be seeing Metallica?" I said, hoping to establish some common ground. "Yeah," she said "I hope the place isn't drowning in idiot metal fans" and I was like "...yeah. Those idiot metal fans. What a bunch of idiots. I hate them."

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:50 pm

ThornDavis wrote:I was just doing a conference thing with work , and one of the other stands was manned by an incredibly attractive girl from New York. We got talking during a quiet patch and she mentioned that she was going to Glastonbury this year. "So you'll be seeing Metallica?" I said, hoping to establish some common ground. "Yeah," she said "I hope the place isn't drowning in idiot metal fans" and I was like "...yeah. Those idiot metal fans. What a bunch of idiots. I hate them."

I have a new theory that you are actually Jez from Peep Show
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Xale

Postby Xale » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:56 pm

ThornDavis wrote:I was just doing a conference thing with work , and one of the other stands was manned by an incredibly attractive girl from New York. We got talking during a quiet patch and she mentioned that she was going to Glastonbury this year. "So you'll be seeing Metallica?" I said, hoping to establish some common ground. "Yeah," she said "I hope the place isn't drowning in idiot metal fans" and I was like "...yeah. Those idiot metal fans. What a bunch of idiots. I hate them."

In fairness, I hope Sonisphere isn't drowning in idiot metal fans either. I'd rather it be full of regular ol' metal fans. Maybe that's what she meant, but her Noo York jib doesn't allow for clearer explanations.

Burnside

Postby Burnside » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Rick wrote:

I have a new theory that you are actually Jez from Peep Show

Ahh Jez from Peep Show. Although how many of us have been in that situaution just to try to pull a bird? I remmeber telling one girl how i was open minded to horroscapes and astrology and all that bollocks .

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:27 pm

MOSH MOSH MOSH, BURN THINGS, MOSH MOSH MOSH, FIGHT, MOSH MOSH MOSH, cup of tea and bubble bath, MOSH MOSH MOSH

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Xale wrote:In fairness, I hope Sonisphere isn't drowning in idiot metal fans either. I'd rather it be full of regular ol' metal fans. Maybe that's what she meant, but her Noo York jib doesn't allow for clearer explanations.

Well Machine Head aren't playing so we might be ok. But we do have Slayer though.

Return to “2014 Wishlists and Rumours”