Metallica setlist

rockgeek

Re: Metallica setlist

Postby rockgeek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Indeed, what are you all chatting about

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 pm

I thought bookmakers had put Metallica as a favourite to headline Glasto because of the eLOL April Fool, didn't realise the bookie stuff was a week ago.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Metallica aren't playing Glasto - unless they play as a secret set

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm

That's what I've been trying to tell people but nope, if the bookies say so it must be true.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Their Sonisphere announcement was an exclusive so unless that's broken??? Even still, sure we would have heard something

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:36 pm

rockgeek wrote:Metallica aren't playing Glasto - unless they play as a secret set

Metallica are always rumoured to be playing secret sets though. Apparently Download 2003 is a pattern.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:52 pm

But that was 11 years ago

Metallica has 9 letters. Sonisphere didn't happen for 2 years. 9 + 2 = 11

Glastonbury is 11 letters.

Secret Set is 9 letters but if you add !! it's 11 characters long

It adds up

add

Postby add » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:44 am

Foz wrote:
add wrote:
mt96djc wrote:Why have only just over 4,000 people voted on this? Do you think lots of people aren't bothering?

because the gimmicks stupid and no body really cares about it

Disagree. The gimmick is fine it's people that are the problem. Stupid people.

but the people have always been that stupid meaning the gimmick is stupid because the people are stupid so a gimmick that relies on the stupid people is stupid.... stupid

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:44 am

^ that.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 am

add wrote:
Foz wrote:
add wrote:because the gimmicks stupid and no body really cares about it

Disagree. The gimmick is fine it's people that are the problem. Stupid people.

but the people have always been that stupid meaning the gimmick is stupid because the people are stupid so a gimmick that relies on the stupid people is stupid.... stupid

I've seen it work well for smaller bands, just not for Metallica. They're too big.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

Also the fact over 4k have submitted their votes means some people do really care about it. A lot of people just won't have bothered or known about it.

I can't see how it is stupid. Lots of people moan about same setlists so they give lots of people the ability to dictate the setlist. It's also got us talking a lot more about the band.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:14 am

As if we never talk about Metallica. :P

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Just checked the survey for the first time in about 2 months and the setlist looks exactly the same so i doubt i'll bother checking it again! It's very :roll:

Hopefully they play The Four Horsemen and Whiskey In The Jar early on so i don't have to watch the whole set.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

add

Postby add » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:06 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:
add wrote:

I've seen it work well for smaller bands, just not for Metallica. They're too big.

well it may even work for Metallica at their own show but here and now it was a foregone conclusion from the second it was mentioned.

most people at a festival arent here to see metallica and most of those that are here to see metallica arent going to be the biggest fans (else they would have seen them already since theyre here every year) so most people either dont care at all what the setlist is so dont vote, dont notice the gimmicks even there or or want to see the greatest hits they could get at any old show.

this was true from the start so the gimmick was a stupid idea.

rockgeek wrote:Also the fact over 4k have submitted their votes means some people do really care about it. A lot of people just won't have bothered or known about it.

I can't see how it is stupid. Lots of people moan about same setlists so they give lots of people the ability to dictate the setlist. It's also got us talking a lot more about the band.

does it mean that really? 4000 people using their vote from a 60000 person festival isnt even 10% and the act of them using their vote doesnt mean hey care about it some will have voted just because they could.

the numbers suggest tome more that the gimmicks a failure than its doing well either hat or the festivals doing terribly which i dont believe

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 pm

add wrote:the numbers suggest tome more that the gimmicks a failure than its doing well either hat or the festivals doing terribly which i dont believe

Yeah the 4k seems about in line with the other events, except for Sao Paulo where people seem to have really seized on it and about 14,000 people have voted. I guess the gimmick is 'a success' in that it created a reason for Metallica to do another round of festivals, which presumably was the ultimate purpose.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes it does mean that. 60,000 tickets have yet to be sold.

Yes, some will have voted because they could but that doesn't mean it's a gimmick! A gimmick takes on a negative tone, to me at least. I wouldn't say it's a trick, it's just a new facet to explore

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Honestly Metallica could use "hey, we're all gonna play wearing suits" at this stage and use it as a gimmick to play more festivals.

add

Postby add » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:29 pm

ThornDavis wrote:I guess the gimmick is 'a success' in that it created a reason for Metallica to do another round of festivals, which presumably was the ultimate purpose.

I guess thats true.. i do often wonder exactly how long they can keep up the whole metallica:whatever sets before people finally get tired of it

rockgeek wrote:Yes it does mean that. 60,000 tickets have yet to be sold.

Yes, some will have voted because they could but that doesn't mean it's a gimmick! A gimmick takes on a negative tone, to me at least. I wouldn't say it's a trick, it's just a new facet to explore

for sonispheres sake i hope it doesn't mean they have 60 000 tickets left to sell, since all the big announcements are done it should be way above that

also a gimmick is exactly what it is

Foz

Postby Foz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm

because the gimmicks stupid and no body really cares about it[/quote]

but the people have always been that stupid meaning the gimmick is stupid because the people are stupid so a gimmick that relies on the stupid people is stupid.... stupid[/quote]

You're proving yourself wrong the more you talk about it, apparently people do care about it.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:36 pm

rockgeek wrote:Also the fact over 4k have submitted their votes means some people do really care about it. A lot of people just won't have bothered or known about it.

Thats the thing with Metallica they do mix their sets up. Compare their UK festival setlists since Download 06, they're all quite different. Ok they have staples, but there is a nice mix there. Thats just not there with this by request, it seems more like a standard set, probably because there aren't the few rarities that the other sets all have.

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

Only a month left to vote now. I can't see there being a massive surge in votes either. It's fairly close at the drop off line but I would expect wherever I may roam to hold its spot to see out other challenges :)
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu May 22, 2014 9:26 pm

So is voting closed then?

If so, 'The Four Horsemen' finished only five votes behind 'Wherever I May Roam' and only 7250 people voted.

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Fri May 23, 2014 12:45 am

Not that it was ever going to matter, but here's what I voted for:

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Master of Puppets
The Call of Ktulu
Don't Tread on Me
The Four Horsemen
My Apocalypse
Fight Fire With Fire
One
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Motorbreath
Orion
...And Justice for All
Disposable Heroes
The Memory Remains

Fade to Black
Am I Evil?
Creeping Death

I spent an enjoyable hour one evening sorting that out and working out my ideal order. Based mostly on what I love with a bit of bias for some songs I've not seen over a few that I have seen a lot.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 am

I never even received my vote key after contacting Ticketmaster multiple times.

Although does this mean I can complain and now try and blag a free ticket for another event as they sold me this one wit errors....
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri May 23, 2014 10:24 am

Go for it.

Return to “2014 Wishlists and Rumours”