Full Album Sets?

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
hybrid theorist wrote:And its Sepulturas second biggest album surely, its not like Maiden doing a 90s set of their 5th-8th best known albums.

It would be. Iron Maiden are a colossal band and their 5th-8th best known albums are probably better known than Sepultura's best known material.


I'd take the bet that more people know Roots or Refuse/Resist than know Heaven Can Wait or Wicker Man.
If you were to pick a band smaller than Sepultura then I would agree with your point.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
hybrid theorist wrote:And its Sepulturas second biggest album surely, its not like Maiden doing a 90s set of their 5th-8th best known albums.

It would be. Iron Maiden are a colossal band and their 5th-8th best known albums are probably better known than Sepultura's best known material.

........ well, sure. That point would make sense if Sepultura were headlining. Maidens 5th best album might be more well known than Roots. Does that mean Sepultura can't play at all, because they've nothing more famous than Powerslave?
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
Black Wizard
Posts: 6189
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Not at all. It's not really a fair comparison to make anyway. :?

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:28 am

End of the day, I think it's got to be a classic album to be a "full set" slot. and I reckon Chaos AD really is.

In terms of popularity, it might be second to Roots, but I think among the hardcore, it's the favourite.

Having said that, I don't think they should do it without the "proper" lineup. Think I'd rather see Cavalera Conspiracy do it than Sepultura at this stage :lol:
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
Black Wizard
Posts: 6189
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:11 pm

I imagine Andreas Kisser would sue Max Cavalera to kingdom come if Cavalera Conspiracy tried to do that. Andreas doesn't seem chuffed that Max's bands play classic Sepultura songs and he has no interest in a reunion. I don't want a Sepultura reunion either because they've been putting out really good albums recently. Full album sets suck anyway. :P

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I imagine Andreas Kisser would sue Max Cavalera to kingdom come if Cavalera Conspiracy tried to do that. Andreas doesn't seem chuffed that Max's bands play classic Sepultura songs and he has no interest in a reunion. I don't want a Sepultura reunion either because they've been putting out really good albums recently. Full album sets suck anyway. :P


Just had a quick look on Wikipedia (the ever reliable source) and Max wrote most of the songs on Chaos AD; I'm pretty sure as long as he gives Kisser due in terms of advertising it as a Sepultura album then he has the right to play those songs, as Max would own the copyright. It's like what's going on with Static-X right now, Wayne Static can play all the old songs he likes as he has the copyright but he has to pay under an agreement to use the Static-X name.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Burnside
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Burnside » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Black Wizard wrote: Andreas doesn't seem chuffed that Max's bands play classic Sepultura songs and he has no interest in a reunion.


I do wonder if both the Caverlas rejoined Sep, even for a few gigs, how much higher the bill would Sepultura would climb?

They may say they have no interest in a reunion but im sure if the offer was good....
Ian Gillan once said he would slit his throat before going back to Deep Purple. And he went back. Twice.

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Burnside wrote:
Black Wizard wrote: Andreas doesn't seem chuffed that Max's bands play classic Sepultura songs and he has no interest in a reunion.


I do wonder if both the Caverlas rejoined Sep, even for a few gigs, how much higher the bill would Sepultura would climb?

They may say they have no interest in a reunion but im sure if the offer was good....
Ian Gillan once said he would slit his throat before going back to Deep Purple. And he went back. Twice.


They were at academy level when they broke up, given that most reunited academy bands take the jump to a small arena tour I'd say 3rd on the bill or special guests at a push.

The difference with Gillan though was that Blackmore became a part time player in Purple when he returned (he left for good not long after) so his main grievance wasn't much of an issue. I can't see Andreas taking a diminishing role reunion or not.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 pm

I'd guess that they'd headline bloodstock or the second stage at Soni/DL.

Having said that, Cavalera Conspiracy headlined second themselves at DL in 2008, so maybe for the initial comeback, they'd be as high as sub headline?

Of couse CC have dropped back down since then
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:21 am

hybrid theorist wrote:I'd guess that they'd headline bloodstock or the second stage at Soni/DL.

Having said that, Cavalera Conspiracy headlined second themselves at DL in 2008, so maybe for the initial comeback, they'd be as high as sub headline?

Of couse CC have dropped back down since then


At this point I imagine money would be the only reason for them to reform, I'd doubt BOA would be able to stump up the kind of money they would be looking for. I mean if soni were prepared to pay Refused (who I'd say are smaller then Sep were at their prime) a Million then I'd imagine soni or DL would outbid BOA easily.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
kipper64
Posts: 18552
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby kipper64 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 am

There's absolutely no way Refused cost 1 million quid. Someone threw 500k out on the DL forums, but they also claimed Refused and ATDI were playing and headlining and were dead wrong.
Image

hybrid theorist
Posts: 15851
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Leeds, YORKSHIRE

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:23 am

I always assumed that £1m rumour was bollocks, if they paid that for an academy-sized band they need to be frakking sectioned. who knows for certain though?

You're probably right anyway, Sepultura would be a big coup for any festival, I think if DL or Soni properly wanted any band that Bloodstock want (as they would in this case), then BOA doesn't have much chance.
Image
:animals-cow:

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:35 am

It might not have been a million (my mistake) but it was something really high for a Saturn headliner and more on par with an Apollo headliners fee.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
kipper64
Posts: 18552
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby kipper64 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:43 am

I don't think it was ever public information, it started from someone on the DLF who posted some very incorrect leaks and said they got 500k, which I seriously doubt as well. Generally what bands are paid is top secret anyways, very rare for an actual fee from a private business contract to appear in public correctly for festivals.
Image

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am

kipper64 wrote:I don't think it was ever public information, it started from someone on the DLF who posted some very incorrect leaks and said they got 500k, which I seriously doubt as well. Generally what bands are paid is top secret anyways, very rare for an actual fee from a private business contract to appear in public correctly for festivals.


...Well my argument is looking pretty bulletproof :lol:

Amazing how football fee's are surprisingly open (yes a lot of it is speculated) yet the music industry really isn't on the whole.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
ThornDavis
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 am

houston404 wrote:
kipper64 wrote:Amazing how football fee's are surprisingly open (yes a lot of it is speculated) yet the music industry really isn't on the whole.


I guess it's because fees for bands would be fairly fluid. I mean, Maiden might accept a lower fee for Sonisphere in 2014 than they did for DL '13 because they know that DL aren't about to rebook them so it's either grab what you can from Soni or just go without. But then when they've been off the circuit for a coupla years, they don't want to go back to Andy Copping and have him say "Well, I happen to know for a fact that you played Soni for just £700,000 [<-- MADE UP FIGURE] so that's all I'm prepared to pay".

You know, it's like any business - the objective is to fleece your customer for as much as you possibly can, and that may mean dropping your prices just so you can Hoover up what they have got, rather than walking away with nothing. At the same time, you don't want the cash-rich to find out how low you're willing to go because for those customers, you want to burn them for the absolute max.

User avatar
Black Wizard
Posts: 6189
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:24 pm

If, in the impossible event that the Cavalera brothers rejoined Sepultura and there was a UK festival appearance, then I think they might sub-headline the main stage or headline the second stage at Sonisphere or Download. Or be the main headliner at Bloodstock.

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Black Wizard wrote:If, in the impossible event that the Cavalera brothers rejoined Sepultura and there was a UK festival appearance, then I think they might sub-headline the main stage or headline the second stage at Sonisphere or Download. Or be the main headliner at Bloodstock.


perhaps the small Friday headliner? :P
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
ThornDavis
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:20 pm

What about other high-profile reunions? What if Blaze Bayley rejoined Iron Maiden? Two night stint at Knebworth?

User avatar
Black Wizard
Posts: 6189
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Paul di'Anno and Lostprophets.

User avatar
ThornDavis
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Headline shot for sure. They're massive at the moment - I keep seeing their name everywhere and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 pm

ThornDavis wrote:What about other high-profile reunions? What if Blaze Bayley rejoined Iron Maiden? Two night stint at Knebworth?


Tony Martin fronted Sabbath, you know it makes sense ;)
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
ThornDavis
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:37 pm

houston404 wrote:
ThornDavis wrote:What about other high-profile reunions? What if Blaze Bayley rejoined Iron Maiden? Two night stint at Knebworth?


Tony Martin fronted Sabbath, you know it makes sense ;)


Subbed by 'Queen feat. Freddie Mercury's lifeless skeleton draped over the mic stand like Paul Gray's boilersuit'.

User avatar
houston404
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby houston404 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:27 pm

ThornDavis wrote:
houston404 wrote:
ThornDavis wrote:What about other high-profile reunions? What if Blaze Bayley rejoined Iron Maiden? Two night stint at Knebworth?


Tony Martin fronted Sabbath, you know it makes sense ;)


Subbed by 'Queen feat. Freddie Mercury's lifeless skeleton draped over the mic stand like Paul Gray's boilersuit'.


Do you want soni cancelled again? no queen!
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

User avatar
Black Wizard
Posts: 6189
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Impossible. He was cremated.


Return to “2014 Wishlists and Rumours”