Full Album Sets?

Black Wizard

Re: Full Album Sets?

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:22 am

Yeah.....just like actually being there.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
houston404 wrote:Sepultura to play Chaos AD in full please :pray:

And you complained that Iron Maiden didn't play "well known" songs in 2010. :doh:

Chaos AD is arguably the joint most popular Sepultura album, I imagine quite a few people know the songs and would enjoy the full album set. It would be the same if Maiden played a full album set from the 80's, 'gangland', 'quest for fire', 'back in the village' etc always going to be a lesser known song on an album.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 pm

No, I'd say 'Roots' is their most popular although it's also a bit of a mess. Surely 'Refuse/Resist' is the only well known song from that album. If Sepultura want to do full album sets then they should do it at their own shows because at festivals people will want to hear 'Roots Bloody Roots' and 'Arise'. (And I bet that 'No Prayer for the Dying' has sold more than 'Chaos A.D.' :p )

houston404

Postby houston404 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Black Wizard wrote:No, I'd say 'Roots' is their most popular although it's also a bit of a mess. Surely 'Refuse/Resist' is the only well known song from that album. If Sepultura want to do full album sets then they should do it at their own shows because at festivals people will want to hear 'Roots Bloody Roots' and 'Arise'. (And I bet that 'No Prayer for the Dying' has sold more than 'Chaos A.D.' :p )

Genuinely interesting question that :eusa-think: Well given how short Chaos A.D. is they could always throw in a few extra classics with no problem.

add

Postby add » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 am

my general thought on it is at festivals bands should only really do full album sets if they are heavily repeated as then they use it as an excuse to come back when they really shouldnt (see metallica) if they arent doing that then tehy should play greatest hits shows because casual fans are there

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 pm

add wrote:my general thought on it is at festivals bands should only really do full album sets if they are heavily repeated as then they use it as an excuse to come back when they really shouldnt (see metallica) if they arent doing that then tehy should play greatest hits shows because casual fans are there

What about bands that are generally fairly small but get bumped up due to playing an album in full? Therapy? for example probably got bumped up for playing the album in full.

add

Postby add » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 pm

houston404 wrote:
add wrote:my general thought on it is at festivals bands should only really do full album sets if they are heavily repeated as then they use it as an excuse to come back when they really shouldnt (see metallica) if they arent doing that then tehy should play greatest hits shows because casual fans are there

What about bands that are generally fairly small but get bumped up due to playing an album in full? Therapy? for example probably got bumped up for playing the album in full.

my opinion still stands, i really dont like the practice at festivals because there is always some terrible publicity reason attached to it

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 am

Black Wizard wrote:No, I'd say 'Roots' is their most popular although it's also a bit of a mess. Surely 'Refuse/Resist' is the only well known song from that album.

Two factual errors in as many sentences.

I'd say that Territory and Propaganda at the very least could be described as 'well known' in the same way as Refuse/Resist.

Second: Roots is not a 'bit of a mess'. It is a thunderous roar that sounds like it was dug out from the heart of the earth.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:06 pm

ThornDavis wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:No, I'd say 'Roots' is their most popular although it's also a bit of a mess. Surely 'Refuse/Resist' is the only well known song from that album.

I'd say that Territory and Propaganda at the very least could be described as 'well known' in the same way as Refuse/Resist.

Second: Roots is not a 'bit of a mess'. It is a thunderous roar that sounds like it was dug out from the heart of the earth.

I read that second bit in a David Attenborough voice :lol:

Slave New World and Biotech is Godzilla are also pretty big songs off of Chaos AD, quite a few bands end up covering one of those two.

mrpaul

Postby mrpaul » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:12 pm

ThornDavis wrote:

Edit: I'm talking bollocks, ignore me :D
Last edited by mrpaul on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:animals-cow: Moocrab Paul
FMC Code - 1K910196

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Roots was obviously Sepultura's peak it's not even arguable.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Blackwater wrote:Roots was obviously Sepultura's peak it's not even arguable.

Was their commercial peak but wasn't their best album :P

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Yeah, it's certainly the commercial peak and 'Roots Bloody Roots' is their best known song but musically it's not their peak. It is a mess of an album and would have been better as a Max Cavalera side project but instead the band radically changed their sound and ruined their reputation for a decade. Their best album is 'Beneath the Remains' which is a gritty, evil-sounding Thrash album. That's the real Sepultura sound.

MetalNinja

Postby MetalNinja » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Would never happen but one of my favourite Maiden albums is Brave New World, not a song on that album that I don't like.
alexcore wrote:Ninjas don't sleep, they just wait.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:32 am

Not enough "well known" songs apparently. :roll: We already know they're doing an 80s + 'Fear of the Dark' set anyway.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Yeah, it's certainly the commercial peak and 'Roots Bloody Roots' is their best known song but musically it's not their peak. It is a mess of an album and would have been better as a Max Cavalera side project but instead the band radically changed their sound and ruined their reputation for a decade. Their best album is 'Beneath the Remains' which is a gritty, evil-sounding Thrash album. That's the real Sepultura sound.

If it Max's fault then every Derrek Green album would have reverted back to their thrash roots no?

Black Wizard wrote:Not enough "well known" songs apparently. :roll: We already know they're doing an 80s + 'Fear of the Dark' set anyway.

I think you're too big a maiden fan to see it from another perspective :lol: Brave New World was big for maiden fans as it was the comeback album and yes it got them back playing the likes of Earl's Court and hit the top 20; but apart from Wicker Man I wouldn't expect the casual festival fan to know it that well for a whole album set to be greatly received. If Maiden played it at their own show to their own crowd then yes, it would go down well as Maiden fans are as hardcore as they come and the AMOLAD shows went down well.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm

houston404 wrote:If it Max's fault then every Derrek Green album would have reverted back to their thrash roots no?

They have recently, since Igor Cavalera left. ;)

I think you're too big a maiden fan to see it from another perspective :lol: Brave New World was big for maiden fans as it was the comeback album and yes it got them back playing the likes of Earl's Court and hit the top 20; but apart from Wicker Man I wouldn't expect the casual festival fan to know it that well for a whole album set to be greatly received. If Maiden played it at their own show to their own crowd then yes, it would go down well as Maiden fans are as hardcore as they come and the AMOLAD shows went down well.

I wouldn't want Iron Maiden to perform 'Brave New World' or any other album in full. I was also pretty disappointed with seeing 'A Matter of Life and Death' in full as it was my first time seeing them and I didn't really appreciate the album a great deal back then.

El_Gibso

Postby El_Gibso » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:Dream Theater to headline Saturn with a 15th anniversary playthrough of Scenes From a Memory. That'd be worth the ticket money on its own for me.:

This. Would happily kill my family for a ticket to see that.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Nod at the bird and people die.

You're dead for a real long time. Ya just cant prevent it. So if money can't buy happiness I guess I'll have to rent it.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 am

El_Gibso wrote:
PurpleDemon wrote:Dream Theater to headline Saturn with a 15th anniversary playthrough of Scenes From a Memory. That'd be worth the ticket money on its own for me.:

Good news, i'm your long lost bro... actually forget it

El_Gibso

Postby El_Gibso » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:14 am

houston404 wrote:
El_Gibso wrote:

Good news, i'm your long lost bro... actually forget it

Nice to meet you! Now die. I need to see that gig.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Nod at the bird and people die.

You're dead for a real long time. Ya just cant prevent it. So if money can't buy happiness I guess I'll have to rent it.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm

ThornDavis wrote:

Yeah, If you were making a top ten most known Sepultura songs, there'd definitely be a few from Chaos AD. The three you mentioned all surely make the top ten. In fact, other than Arise, I'd struggle to think of any songs that are in the top ten other than from Roots or Chaos AD.

And its Sepulturas second biggest album surely, its not like Maiden doing a 90s set of their 5th-8th best known albums.
:animals-cow:

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Get this fucker in Bohemia.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Andrew W.K. -I Get Wet 'nuff said

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:44 pm

A.......... Hi-Fi serious
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:14 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:And its Sepulturas second biggest album surely, its not like Maiden doing a 90s set of their 5th-8th best known albums.

It would be. Iron Maiden are a colossal band and their 5th-8th best known albums are probably better known than Sepultura's best known material.

Return to “2014 Wishlists and Rumours”