KISS

fistupmotherbrown

Re: KISS

Postby fistupmotherbrown » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 am

Blackwater wrote:I've listened to enough songs by Kiss to know they all sound the same! they are a bit like Iron Maiden if you've heard one song you've heard them all.

What a brilliantly ill-informed opinion. It's practically impossible for a band that started in the early seventies (and still be going in 2012), to sound the same for 40 years. They are one of the few bands at Sonisphere who do have a wide variety of songs to choose from - If they had only put out a few albums then maybe they would sound the same, but in that case most bands at the fest will sound the same to you.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:05 am

fistupmotherbrown wrote:
Blackwater wrote:I've listened to enough songs by Kiss to know they all sound the same! they are a bit like Iron Maiden if you've heard one song you've heard them all.

What a brilliantly ill-informed opinion. It's practically impossible for a band that started in the early seventies (and still be going in 2012), to sound the same for 40 years. They are one of the few bands at Sonisphere who do have a wide variety of songs to choose from - If they had only put out a few albums then maybe they would sound the same, but in that case most bands at the fest will sound the same to you.

Or maybe all their songs do in fact sound the same and you have problems with your hearing pal.

It won't matter to you anyway if you like one of their songs you will love the whole set so don't stress about it, I will be watching with heavy duty ear plugs lodged into my ears or maybe some very powerful headphones in which i will play some classic circus music to accompany the circus-like performance they will put on.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

fistupmotherbrown wrote:

What a brilliantly ill-informed opinion. It's practically impossible for a band that started in the early seventies (and still be going in 2012), to sound the same for 40 years..

Other than AC/DC?
:animals-cow:

fistupmotherbrown

Postby fistupmotherbrown » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:
fistupmotherbrown wrote:

What a brilliantly ill-informed opinion. It's practically impossible for a band that started in the early seventies (and still be going in 2012), to sound the same for 40 years..

Other than AC/DC?

Ha ha... As I say - 'practically impossible'!
AC/DC are a good example of a band that has stuck to what it does pretty rigidly, which I don't think KISS can be accused of..?

fistupmotherbrown

Postby fistupmotherbrown » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Blackwater wrote:
fistupmotherbrown wrote:

Or maybe all their songs do in fact sound the same and you have problems with your hearing pal.

It won't matter to you anyway if you like one of their songs you will love the whole set so don't stress about it, I will be watching with heavy duty ear plugs lodged into my ears or maybe some very powerful headphones in which i will play some classic circus music to accompany the circus-like performance they will put on.

Brilliant. What a bizarre world you must live in - luckily for me, I am not part of it as it sounds pretty sad.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:54 pm

I live in a world where i don't listen to bands that make all their songs sound the same! You must live in a world kind of like limbo where things get repeated all the time, Am i right?
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

add

Postby add » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:30 pm

kiss songs dont all sound the same, alot of theyre hits do but they have a lot of Ballads and heavier material on their albums aswell

Scooby Doo

Postby Scooby Doo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Blackwater wrote:I live in a world where i don't listen to bands that make all their songs sound the same! You must live in a world kind of like limbo where things get repeated all the time, Am i right?

I have got every single album Kiss have released apart from their new one Monster, and while i will agree to certain point that Kiss's bigger hits sound relatively the same, but a lot of their back catalouge sounds very different i suggest you go and try to find their album "The Elder" which is an opera listen to it and come back on here and tell me that all of Kiss's songs sound the same.

Grables

Postby Grables » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 pm

I don't think it's that they all sound the same, it's the fact that they're all pretty naff. Strutter is their only good song. All the others are average - not terrible or bad in any way, just really nothing special in the slightest.

This is a band who got big not through songs, but through commercial marketing and merchandise. Back in the 80's, most people would recognize who they were by image, and were familiar with their logo and had seen their brand on almost everything, but half of them didn't actually know they were a band, its that bad.

duncang

Postby duncang » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Really?

I thought people knew they were a band, and knew their songs...

Getaway

Postby Getaway » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:23 pm

And i'm 16 and one half thank you very much Getaway so i know my sh it about music and the ways of the world.

Its official,you know very little about KISS music...........so Just a Boy and Parasite sound the same,as do Sure Know Something and Unholy?..

16 and one half with so much to learn about music and life....Good luck.

Getaway

Postby Getaway » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Grables wrote:I don't think it's that they all sound the same, it's the fact that they're all pretty naff. Strutter is their only good song. All the others are average - not terrible or bad in any way, just really nothing special in the slightest.

This is a band who got big not through songs, but through commercial marketing and merchandise. Back in the 80's, most people would recognize who they were by image, and were familiar with their logo and had seen their brand on almost everything, but half of them didn't actually know they were a band, its that bad.

Hee Hee....Wow i didnt think KISS had an image in the 80's,they took the make up off in 83 for over thirteen years and yet they still continued to survive in the rock world.Once again its your opinion that most KISS songs are naff,there will be many that disagree.
You toddle off to the ladies when KISS come on stage because you'll be green with envy that they can entertain the masses with a multitude of great songs.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Kiss is a franchise, not a band. Gene himself said that the band could get new members in once each of them dies to carry on. All about the dollar, yo.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

Getaway

Postby Getaway » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:08 pm

ANXIETY wrote:Kiss is a franchise, not a band. Gene himself said that the band could get new members in once each of them dies to carry on. All about the dollar, yo.

Gene says a lot of things most of the time he is wrong, the revolving door policy may apply to the drummer and lead guitarist but if Stanley or Simmons left KISS would be done.

Most bands have merchandise,KISS have taken it to the extreme in some cases but to say they are not a band is ridiculous. When the time comes to hit the stage the band try to ensure that every single fan gets their money's worth.Nearly forty years done and still people turn up to see them play not to have a look at the merchandise stand..

Rock Legends!!

Grables

Postby Grables » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Getaway wrote:Rock Legends!!

Just, no.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Grables wrote:
Getaway wrote:Rock Legends!!

Just, no.

cmon now. you might not like them, but they're one of the biggest rock bands of all time, one of the most recognisable acts of all time, if they're not legends, nobody is.

Grables

Postby Grables » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:cmon now. you might not like them, but they're one of the biggest rock bands of all time, one of the most recognisable acts of all time, if they're not legends, nobody is.

I don't despise them, there are many, many more worse bands out there - and I'm still gonna watch them. I just don't think they're legends in the slightest. Paul Stanley is cool, but Gene Simmons is a dirty money grabbing Jew. None of them are particularly great musicians, and the brand is more famous than their music. They maybe huge, but I don't think they are an important part of the evolution of music, nor are they that influential. They're not exactly up there with Deep Purple, Queen or Van Halen if you get what I mean.

add

Postby add » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Grables wrote:
hybrid theorist wrote:cmon now. you might not like them, but they're one of the biggest rock bands of all time, one of the most recognisable acts of all time, if they're not legends, nobody is.

They maybe huge, but I don't think they are an important part of the evolution of music, nor are they that influential.

oh they are just perhaps not for the right reasons, their influence on the evolution of bands being musicians to being brand names has been huge, perhaps the most important in that respect

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:11 pm

I can see why they get a bit of a bad wrap but really they aren't any more "sell-outs" than the likes of Metallica, perhaps far less subtle in their commercial ways, but when it comes down to it, merch-wise and all that, most big bands are just as bad.

As far as it it stands, I don't particularly like their music, but they do put on one hell of a show, with a stageshow that could only be rivalled by the likes of Rammstein. Definitely a worthy headliner, and one that doesn't really play festivals all that often, they've done 1 festival in like the past 15 years in the UK.

Getaway

Postby Getaway » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Grables wrote:I don't despise them, there are many, many more worse bands out there - and I'm still gonna watch them. I just don't think they're legends in the slightest. Paul Stanley is cool, but Gene Simmons is a dirty money grabbing Jew. None of them are particularly great musicians, and the brand is more famous than their music. They maybe huge, but I don't think they are an important part of the evolution of music, nor are they that influential. They're not exactly up there with Deep Purple, Queen or Van Halen if you get what I mean.

Again you are entitled to your opinion,but Stanley is one of the best front men in the business. You obviously dont read a lot of the rock mags because the number of people who first started to play guitar or want to be a rock star because they saw KISS when growing up is endless.
It always raises a smile with me when people claim they arent really good musicians,go watch Kiss Unplugged or KISS Symphony and come back and tell me they cant play.
Some people just cant see past the make up,no problem with that,but to slag a band off when you have probably only heard ten or so of their songs is lame.People have wrote KISS off many times and they still continue to confound the critics,strangely the press have warmed to them over the past few years.Maybe they have at last realised there is more to this band than confetti and fireworks.

So questions for you,Gene is a money grabber? Do you think Queen are grabbing money by using a revolving door policy on their lead singer?
Why do you think Van Halen have been more influential than Kiss?(you do know who was responsible fortheir first demo dont you?)

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Getaway wrote:So questions for you,Gene is a money grabber? Do you think Queen are grabbing money by using a revolving door policy on their lead singer?

I think Queen are money grabbers because they were one of the only bands to play South Africa during apartheid.

add

Postby add » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 am

kipper64 wrote:I can see why they get a bit of a bad wrap but really they aren't any more "sell-outs" than the likes of Metallica, perhaps far less subtle in their commercial ways, but when it comes down to it, merch-wise and all that, most big bands are just as bad.

all bands are commercial its just they were the first to take it to a massive extreme, most bands now do it they were just first, putting their logo on everything possible everything down to the make up, wearing it and never going out in public as the band without it until they made an informed decision for when to remove it.

what they did was all perfect from a marketing stand point for turning the band onto a brand Its all pretty genius really and has left its mark on the industry as a whole.

Plus it ass goes as far as what they do on stage and what they sing, writing catchy songs for the singles to sell then using a massive stage show to ensure people were entertained at the show in order to make as much money as possible from as much merch as possible selling everything from simple tshirts that every band does all the way back to coffins

Grables

Postby Grables » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Getaway wrote:
So questions for you,Gene is a money grabber? Do you think Queen are grabbing money by using a revolving door policy on their lead singer?
Why do you think Van Halen have been more influential than Kiss?(you do know who was responsible fortheir first demo dont you?)

Every big band is a money grabber to some degree. But the amount of things you can buy with the KISS logo in are frakking ridiculous - they just took it way too far. You can buy a KISS coffin ffs. Gene has also slated people like Trent Reznor for giving away music for free and wanting to share rather than making profit.

Maybe the guys in Queen just want a reason to play live in front of an audience every now and then - why should they stop just because their singer is dead? I see no problem with getting new people in ect.

And no I don't know who is responsible for KISS' first demo, don't really give a frakk. But Van Halen ARE more influential than KISS (and this isn't a que to start a massive argument about who's more influential).

fistupmotherbrown

Postby fistupmotherbrown » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Grables wrote:
Getaway wrote:

And no I don't know who is responsible for KISS' first demo, don't really give a frakk. But Van Halen ARE more influential than KISS (and this isn't a que to start a massive argument about who's more influential).

Gene Simmons is responsible for Van Halen's first recording. There's a possiblility they would never have gone anywhere without his backing.
Darrell (and the rest of Pantera) openly praised KISS, and you can't suggest a guitarist like that saying he was influenced by them could be ignored - not that you did as such, but just adding an example...

Grables

Postby Grables » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Yeah, I know Dimebag loved KISS, he even had an Ace Frehley tatoo on his shoulder. frakk knows why.

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2013”