Opeth

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
houston404

Re: Opeth

Postby houston404 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:21 pm

saw them at progressive nation 2009 we're awesome then and afkerfelt (or however you spell his name :) ) is a funny guy the onstage banter was great. i just hope they play bleak!
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Sun May 15, 2011 10:26 pm

but they're so boring live :lol: I just don't think they're suited to any festival other than Progfest etc.

rather see Bloodbath again :D
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Sun May 15, 2011 11:25 pm

x-tempus wrote:but they're so boring live :lol: I just don't think they're suited to any festival other than Progfest etc.

:roll:
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Mon May 16, 2011 12:09 am

Blackwater wrote:
x-tempus wrote:but they're so boring live :lol: I just don't think they're suited to any festival other than Progfest etc.

haha, coming from an Opeth fan I see ;)

For their own gigs, they'd be great, and for prog-festivals, again they're suited. Even to places like BoA they're suitable, HOWEVER, if you are not a fan of them, they will bore you senseless, regardless of whether you can appreciate they're incredible technical ability or not.

and Bloodbath are better ;) (IMO) shows Mikael's full vocal abilities, and although they are death-metal, I don't feel they are so isolating to a portion of the crowd as Opeth are. Though this is Soni not BoA, and Bloodbath would probably be relegated to Bohemia
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Wed May 18, 2011 4:32 pm

x-tempus wrote:
Blackwater wrote:

haha, coming from an Opeth fan I see ;)

For their own gigs, they'd be great, and for prog-festivals, again they're suited. Even to places like BoA they're suitable, HOWEVER, if you are not a fan of them, they will bore you senseless, regardless of whether you can appreciate they're incredible technical ability or not.

and Bloodbath are better ;) (IMO) shows Mikael's full vocal abilities, and although they are death-metal, I don't feel they are so isolating to a portion of the crowd as Opeth are. Though this is Soni not BoA, and Bloodbath would probably be relegated to Bohemia

Well if you are not some whelp who has to start mosh pits or what have you you will enjoy them that's the purpose of going to a gig or festival in the first place to enjoy the music people need to grow up Opeth are the most creative and inspiring band on the line-up and to well adjusted people they are the opposite of boring live.
ImageImage

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Blackwater wrote:Well if you are not some whelp who has to start mosh pits or what have you you will enjoy them that's the purpose of going to a gig or festival in the first place to enjoy the music people need to grow up Opeth are the most creative and inspiring band on the line-up and to well adjusted people they are the opposite of boring live.

Saw them at Download 09, the banter was great, the band were boring.

Even more creative than The Mars Volta, Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke, I don't think so.

Even more inspiring than Bill Bailey, Metallica etc I don't think so.

Opeth are a good band, but they're not brilliant, I own Blackwater Park and they are brilliant on record, they just can't emulate that brilliance at a festival.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 pm

metalicbear wrote:
Blackwater wrote:Well if you are not some whelp who has to start mosh pits or what have you you will enjoy them that's the purpose of going to a gig or festival in the first place to enjoy the music people need to grow up Opeth are the most creative and inspiring band on the line-up and to well adjusted people they are the opposite of boring live.

Saw them at Download 09, the banter was great, the band were boring.

Even more creative than The Mars Volta, Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke, I don't think so.

Even more inspiring than Bill Bailey, Metallica etc I don't think so.

Opeth are a good band, but they're not brilliant, I own Blackwater Park and they are brilliant on record, they just can't emulate that brilliance at a festival.

Opeth are not boring in the slightest obviously you need to grab another sweaty man in a pit or a circle to enjoy the music.

Yes they are more creative than the 3 bands you have mentioned.

How is Bill Bailey inspiring hes an average comedian?

Metallica have inspired more bands yes i'll give you that one if that is what you meant because it wasn't what i meant.
ImageImage

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Wed May 18, 2011 4:54 pm

I'd put The Mars Volta on the same lines as Nine Inch Nails as in just because you throw in a different number of sounds into a song it doesn't make it good in fact it makes it frakking worse a disfigures the song.
ImageImage

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Blackwater wrote:Opeth are not boring in the slightest obviously you need to grab another sweaty man in a pit or a circle to enjoy the music.

Yes they are more creative than the 3 bands you have mentioned.

How is Bill Bailey inspiring hes an average comedian?

Metallica have inspired more bands yes i'll give you that one if that is what you meant because it wasn't what i meant.

I was bored, that's my opinion and I may stand at the front, but doesn't mean I start running around and bumping in to people, I like to soak up the atmosphere, at Download like I said the banter was great, they were dull.

Inspiration can mean anything to anyone, you may find Opeth inspirational, I don't, on record they are good, but I've heard better, live they are distinctly average.

Maybe they will be better this year.
FMC Code - 1k949287

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Wed May 18, 2011 5:02 pm

metalicbear wrote:Saw them at Download 09, the banter was great, the band were boring.

pretty much this, their tribute to Dio at BoA was incredibly touching - really personal, and their cover of Catch the Rainbow was great.

Blackwater wrote:Opeth are not boring in the slightest obviously you need to grab another sweaty man in a pit or a circle to enjoy the music.

no, they're not a band to mosh to - but their music is dull if you're not a fan, it doesn't really capture your interest unless you either have an interest in general prog music or in the band - otherwise I just don't see them being able to attract many new fans with their live performances unless you have a passing interest in their music on album or you choose to see them at their gigs rather than a festy set 8-)

I don't mosh either, too many problems with my knee to be able to - but whether you mosh or not, if you don't like the band you're not going to be interested in watching them / find them rather dull if you do.

Blackwater wrote:I'd put The Mars Volta on the same lines as Nine Inch Nails as in just because you throw in a different number of sounds into a song it doesn't make it good in fact it makes it frakking worse a disfigures the song.

but NIN have a big cult following / play higher up at festivals in the UK than Opeth do - so obviously they are doing something right? and if you're comparing tMV to NIN then tMV must've had some creative influence on a fair few bands as NIN were pretty influential back in their peak days

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 pm

It seems to be agreed upon that they aren't great if you don't know the material. They've been fantastic 4 out of the 5 times I've seen them but I've never seen them at a festival and always known the songs.

They aren't as creative as The Mars Volta or NIN; they have a formula which they tend to stick to, unique as it is.

I'm also pretty sure Lizard King insinuated that he was a well rounded person

Bunts

Postby Bunts » Thu May 19, 2011 12:56 am

Well it just goes to prove that we're all different.....my two penneth is that Opeth are an incredible talent and blow bands like Metallica out of the water.

But what do i know.....just a 44 y/o bloke brought up through the 70's on a diet of Led Zep/Black Sabbath/Floyd etc

houston404

Postby houston404 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:43 pm

admittedly when i saw them you couldn't do much but observe and just soak up the music (whereas i imagine many at soni will want to move etc) so i can see why they are not seen as a band that fits into soni but musically yes they deserve to be here and where they are on the bill

they are creative in that they don't stick the same formula (a-la motorhead etc) but they are not like wacky prog (a-la hawkwind) still it'll be a nice break on the sunday and a nice contrast to limp bizkit :D

still one of the bands im most excited about on the bill :)

HarvesterofSorrow

Postby HarvesterofSorrow » Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 pm

houston404 wrote:admittedly when i saw them you couldn't do much but observe and just soak up the music (whereas i imagine many at soni will want to move etc) so i can see why they are not seen as a band that fits into soni but musically yes they deserve to be here and where they are on the bill

they are creative in that they don't stick the same formula (a-la motorhead etc) but they are not like wacky prog (a-la hawkwind) still it'll be a nice break on the sunday and a nice contrast to limp bizkit :D

still one of the bands im most excited about on the bill :)

Opeth are great live, but the setting has to be right as well.

I have seen them at an indoor gig and it was just amazing. Very personal and the music just spoke for itself. When I saw them mid afternoon at Rock im Park in the middle of the day light, the show as not so spectacular because it just did not seem to fit the band. They should have played later in the evening.

Still an amazing band.
2011 - 05 May Iron Maiden (Frankfurt, Germany), 18 June Roger Waters The Wall Live (Duesseldorf, Germany), 2 July - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax (Gelsenkirchen, Germany), 8-9 July Sonisphere France (Amneville)

TheBadger

Postby TheBadger » Sun May 22, 2011 10:24 am

Just getting into them. Listened to Watershed a few times and quite like it.... Porcelain Heart :music-rockon: Quite excited to see them :) Going to give Still Life a listen soon!

houston404

Postby houston404 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 am

TheBadger wrote:Just getting into them. Listened to Watershed a few times and quite like it.... Porcelain Heart :music-rockon: Quite excited to see them :) Going to give Still Life a listen soon!

you shall not be dissapointed :music-rockon:

morganianskulls

Postby morganianskulls » Sun May 22, 2011 3:00 pm

awesome addition to the line up can't wait :)

Mushy

Postby Mushy » Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 am

New album in september to be called Heritage, first single to be called The Devils Orchard. Mikael has described the album as "good" and has said that if he had to compare it to any other band, it'd be Opeth :lol: but different too.

So new songs in July I guess :music-rockon:
Check out Sonisphere - the greatest rock festival on the planet! http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/?

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 pm

New artwork
lol

Barracuda

Postby Barracuda » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 pm

I had assumed a new album was coming, awesome.

Watershed will take some beating. However, with Opeth i'm sure it'll be top quality, regardless of the direction they take musically.

-Barracuda

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Watershed was weak

Barracuda

Postby Barracuda » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm

I don't agree, but hey, each to his own and all.

-Barracuda

houston404

Postby houston404 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I just hope the new music is better than the new album cover :shock:

DanN91

Postby DanN91 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:57 pm

I actually quite like the cover...
My FMC Code is: 1k979493 - This is mostly for my reference because I hate having to hunt for it, but if you (the reader) feel inclined to use it, I won't take offence :)

Hypergeek

Postby Hypergeek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:44 pm

I quite like it too, in a cheesy sort of way. It's like some corny 70s prog cover.

I don't really get the burning city in the background though. Seems a bit out of place.

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”