Opeth

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
duncang

Re: Opeth

Postby duncang » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

The Great Misdirect is quite the opposite. It is, for all intents and purposes, a Colors victory lap.

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:46 pm

The Great Misdirect is neither progressive nor ambitious.

Unnecessarily complex song structures and showy instrumentation does not make something progressive or ambitious, just arrogant.

Sameh

Postby Sameh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:The Great Misdirect is neither progressive nor ambitious.

Unnecessarily complex song structures and showy instrumentation does not make something progressive or ambitious, just arrogant.

You can say it's unnecessary, but complex strong structures are one of the aspects of progressive music. How you can say it's not Progressive is beyond me. It's like saying Morbid Angel isn't a Death Metal band or Exodus isn't Thrash Metal.

duncang

Postby duncang » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Sameh wrote:
bodiesinflight57 wrote:The Great Misdirect is neither progressive nor ambitious.

You can say it's unnecessary, but complex strong structures are one of the aspects of progressive music. How you can say it's not Progressive is beyond me. It's like saying Morbid Angel isn't a Death Metal band or Exodus isn't Thrash Metal.

ejhgtghighughuyte

Definitions, friend. That's why I don't like the word. BTBAM might be 'progressive' as a genre prefix but their last album was far removed from all other uses of the word.

They don't have complex structures at all. Through-composition is one of the simplest ways of doing things, if not the simplest.

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm

duncang wrote:
Sameh wrote:

ejhgtghighughuyte

Definitions, friend. That's why I don't like the word. BTBAM might be 'progressive' as a genre prefix but their last album was far removed from all other uses of the word.

They don't have complex structures at all. Through-composition is one of the simplest ways of doing things, if not the simplest.

Yeah the prefix 'progressive' is a total waste of everyone's time.

Theoretically their structures may not be all that complex but in terms of having lots of bits jerking backwards and forwards between different ideas and time signatures and stuff, it is undoubtedly complex.
Although I have to admit I haven't heard the record pretty much since it came out and frankly I have no desire to listen to it again.

calz

Postby calz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am

epic band live and after 5 times of seeing them i still want more.
Take your time. Forget your life.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Can't wait to see Opeth again saw them at The Royal Albert Hall and they were brilliant :D
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Mushy

Postby Mushy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:39 pm

I think Steven is only mastering the new album, not producing it. Wonder how long Opeth will actually get.
Check out Sonisphere - the greatest rock festival on the planet! http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/?

calz

Postby calz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Mushy wrote:I think Steven is only mastering the new album, not producing it. Wonder how long Opeth will actually get.

I hope they get a decent length set as they have so many great songs!

JamieIsOnFire

Postby JamieIsOnFire » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Gona be one of the highlights of my weekend this one :music-rockon:
NIN 24/25 May
SONISPHERE 2014
Alt Fest 2014
Anathema September 18
Carcass September 19
Dragonforce September 20
Black Stone Cherry October 31

Scube

Postby Scube » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 am

I anyways liked the lineup but only after these guys were announced I decided that I REALLY need to buy the tickets :)

Barracuda

Postby Barracuda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 am

JamieIsOnFire wrote:Gona be one of the highlights of my weekend this one :music-rockon:

Same. Haven't seen them since 2008, Can't wait.

-Barracuda

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 pm

"Keyboardist Per Wiberg has been relieved of his duties in Opeth as part of a mutual decision with the band. Keyboard duties on upcoming tours will be handled by a musician who is already rehearsing with the band. Said musician’s identity will be released at a later date.

Vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt released the following statement about the matter: “Well, it’s been somewhat of a revolving door of members during the last couple of years, and now, Per is no longer a member. Mendez, Axe and Fredrik and I came to the decision that we should find a replacement for Per right after the recordings of the new album, and this came as no surprise to Per. He had, in turn, been thinking about leaving, so you could say it was a mutual decision. There’s no bad blood, just a relationship that came to an end, and that’s that. We wish Per the best, and he did a splendid job recording keyboards for the last record, which stands as his final recording with Opeth.”

Opeth remain hard at work on their next album, which follows up 2008’s critically acclaimed Watershed. The album is due out this Fall on Roadrunner Records"

From their Facebook
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

calz

Postby calz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:09 pm

opeth will always impress live. i remember seeing them at the Birmingham O2 academy the first time i saw them which was amazing. Best song has to be Black rose immortal, 20 minutes of greatness.

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 pm

calz wrote:Best song has to be Black rose immortal, 20 minutes of greatness.

Why does everyone who thinks that's their best song have to refer to its length?

(Hint: because it's a novelty which blinds people to the fact it isn't actually their best song)

I got a bit excited when I heard the news about Per but it looks like they're gonna replace him with another keyboard player. Praying it's not a fruity Dream Theater type, that would be the death knell

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:56 am

I'd say my favourite was Deliverance closely followed by The Moor.
ImageImage

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 am

Last night I had a really surreal dream that Mikael Åkerfeldt was my lecturer, he started off talking about BioInformatics, then his guitar fell from the sky and he was suddenly joined by the rest of Opeth, and they just started blasting out "Demon of the Fall". It was frakking awesome, and possibly the most vivid dream I've ever had. :lol:

calz

Postby calz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:38 pm

i dont think its the best song due to length but my personal opinion due to the musical element of it.
blackwater i do agree the moor is a great song.. to be honest they got to many good songs to narrow down to one.

Barracuda

Postby Barracuda » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm hoping for Ghost of Perdition, Heir Apparent, The Grand Conjuration and Demon of the Fall.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed, those are fairly safe bets I rekon.

Baying of the Hounds would also be good.

-Barracuda

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Barracuda wrote:I'm hoping for Ghost of Perdition, Heir Apparent, The Grand Conjuration and Demon of the Fall.

Hopefully I won't be disappointed, those are fairly safe bets I rekon.

Baying of the Hounds would also be good.

-Barracuda

There aren't any safe bets with Opeth, particularly considering the short set length. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those songs played but you probably won't get more than one Ghost Reveries song.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Hoping for

The Moor
Harvest
To Rid The Disease
Demon Of The Fall
Deliverance

That's probably gone over their time though :lol:
ImageImage

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah I think they're only going to get 45 minutes tops. So 5, maybe 6 at a stretch songs.

Will they have any new material ready to debut at Soni do you reckon?
jonny_sniper wrote:Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 pm

They should really of had Bill Bailey subbing to Opeth on Saturn.
ImageImage

calz

Postby calz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 am

Blackwater wrote:Hoping for

The Moor
Harvest
To Rid The Disease
Demon Of The Fall
Deliverance

That's probably gone over their time though :lol:

now those 5 would be great or how about master apprentice, slipped in somewhere that songs great live.

Scube

Postby Scube » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 am

The Drapery Falls
Hope Leaves
Bleak
Harvest
Blackwater Park

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”