Opeth

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
Mushy

Re: Opeth

Postby Mushy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Would love Katatonia to play.

I'd also love Steve Wilson to perform a song with them...I always think he brought Opeth to the next level.
Check out Sonisphere - the greatest rock festival on the planet! http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/?

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 pm

I have grown to despise Steven Wilson, I hope he stays away

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

duncang wrote:I have grown to despise Steven Wilson, I hope he stays away

Why is that? I thought he did a good job producing Blackwater Park, Deliverance & Damnation. Opeth must agree as they've roped him in to produce their next album, too :lol:

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Oh god, have they? I can see him taking them further down the Watershed path, not good.

He seems like a real uppity piece of work to me, and he hasn't released a really solid album in years. His production's fine (if a little sterile on Deliverance) but I don't wanna see him perform with them.

Retard

Postby Retard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 pm

I'd like Katatonia back this year and not clashing with someone good(Fear Factory last year) :twisted:
BRUNNERS CAN'T HANDLE THIS gooseberry RUN AROUND THE FORUMS AFTER ME BRUNNERS RUN AROUND I AM THE PUPPET MASTER.

MODERATOR OF LOVE AND PEACE

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:03 pm

duncang wrote:Oh god, have they? I can see him taking them further down the Watershed path, not good.

He seems like a real uppity piece of work to me, and he hasn't released a really solid album in years. His production's fine (if a little sterile on Deliverance) but I don't wanna see him perform with them.

Why would that take them down the Watershed path? If anything, that's deviating from that style that watershed has and back to older Opeth. I think he's a fine producer. I'm completely impartial to him performing though. It's not like Opeth need him for a live performance, I think they can take care of themselves.

Retard wrote:I'd like Katatonia back this year and not clashing with someone good(Fear Factory last year) :twisted:

Yeah I'd love for them to come back, I think a lot of people would and it'd suit this years line-up so well!

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Jagerpie wrote:
duncang wrote:Oh god, have they? I can see him taking them further down the Watershed path, not good.

Why would that take them down the Watershed path? If anything, that's deviating from that style that watershed has and back to older Opeth. I think he's a fine producer. I'm completely impartial to him performing though. It's not like Opeth need him for a live performance, I think they can take care of themselves.

In the last few years he's started pushing the shallow 'sooooo prog!!!!!' mentality that Watershed had, albeit not in such a fruity way. I don't know the man, he might push them somewhere completely different, he might not affect things at all...but I'm certainly not happy about him producing it

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:25 pm

duncang wrote:
Jagerpie wrote:

In the last few years he's started pushing the shallow 'sooooo prog!!!!!' mentality that Watershed had, albeit not in such a fruity way. I don't know the man, he might push them somewhere completely different, he might not affect things at all...but I'm certainly not happy about him producing it

If he does as good a job as he did on Blackwater Park, then I'll be more than happy :D

Disgruntled Jim

Postby Disgruntled Jim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:26 pm

So the fact they're pushing more to prog means they're suddenly gooseberry?

Okay.

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:31 pm

No, they're beginning to push superficial 'prog' stylings over substance. Typified by the mess of Hessian Peel, the little passage of noodling on different instruments which barely ties together two distinct songs, that sort of thing.

It's not bad but it certainly isn't that good.

Disgruntled Jim

Postby Disgruntled Jim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I should probably one day accept the fact that people just don't like progressive music ¬_¬

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Haha

...really?
The word itself has far too many meanings to really be worth much now, everyone and their dog is progressive.

I think Watershed is regressive.

Hypergeek

Postby Hypergeek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 pm

I enjoyed Watershed, on the whole. It's certainly not as consistently brilliant as most of their other albums, but Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater more than make up for that. For me, anyway.

Duncang, you should check out Steven Wilson's solo album that was released last year (if you haven't already). I got it a few weeks ago and think it's great.

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 pm

I've listened to it a couple of times, didn't grab me but I haven't really given it the time of day since The Incident flopped

Hypergeek

Postby Hypergeek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Fair enough, maybe the new Blackfield album will be more enjoyable for you.
That's the thing with SW, he may be a bit arrogant but the bugger never rests :lol:

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Blackfield are sort of a songs band trying to be an albums band. Haven't listened to them in a long time, didn't know they had a new one coming out. Or is it out already?

Hypergeek

Postby Hypergeek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 pm

That's a good assessment, actually. I thought that about the 2nd album.

It's out on Monday, though I'm sure it's probably been ripped. Info and a couple of tracks can be found here:

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/blackfield-welcome-to-my-dna-2011-10.html

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Very excited about Opeth but they're only going to get about half an hour on stage which translates into about 3 or 4 of their songs unfortunately. Unless they did a late night Bohemia set after Slipknot :o
Either way lets hope they play Demon of the Fall, Ghost of Perdition, something from Blackwater Park and maybe something from the new album?
jonny_sniper wrote:Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:27 pm

duncang wrote:He seems like a real uppity piece of work to me, and he hasn't released a really solid album in years. His production's fine (if a little sterile on Deliverance) but I don't wanna see him perform with them.

He's actually really nice! Easy to talk to and not as distant as one may assume.

He has also released plenty of very good albums in recent years.

duncang

Postby duncang » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Nothing since Fear Of A Blank Planet for me, and even that wasn't especially solid

Sameh

Postby Sameh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 am

jasonisphere wrote:Very excited about Opeth but they're only going to get about half an hour on stage which translates into about 3 or 4 of their songs unfortunately. Unless they did a late night Bohemia set after Slipknot :o
Either way lets hope they play Demon of the Fall, Ghost of Perdition, something from Blackwater Park and maybe something from the new album?

1. The Lotus Eater
2. Heir Apparent
3. Harvest
4. The Moor
5. Windowpane

That's what I want. Hope they do a headlining tour here as well.

MalevolentJim wrote:I should probably one day accept the fact that people just don't like progressive music ¬_¬

Best type of music. Especially how bands like Opeth and Between the Buried and Me do it.

Although, I agree that it has a lot of meanings. It's a bit too ambiguous. Like Progressive House, the hell is that?

duncang

Postby duncang » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Sameh wrote:Best type of music. Especially how bands like Opeth and Between the Buried and Me do it.

What similarities are there between Opeth and BTBAM's ways of 'doing it'?

Going on the proviso that they will probably end up doing something from Watershed, I'd like this:

Heir Apparent
When
Ghost Of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Demon Of The Fall

Sameh

Postby Sameh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 pm

duncang wrote:What similarities are there between Opeth and BTBAM's ways of 'doing it'?

On Colors and The Great Misdirect at least (and Opeth's later albums excluding Damnation), the overall sounds may not be similar but the longer songs are very stop-start in terms of experimentation, just like Opeth's. One minute there'll be growling and fast drumming while another minute there could be slow humming, an acoustic section, or something really weird like a square dance section.

The structure as well - they don't normally use the traditional verse-chorus-verse song structure. Some of the songs, in fact, are quite unstructured. I prefer that when the ideas are good like they are in a lot of BTBAM's songs like A Feed From Cloud Mountain.

I think Between the Buried and Me are more ambitious, though. They take loads of risks in their songs.

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 pm

BTBAM are both supposedly 'progressive' metal bands but sound nothing like one another.
I think it's interesting that you call BTBAM more ambitious.

My Opeth Soni setlist:
1. Ghost of Perdition
2. Heir Apparent
3. Closure
4. Bleak
5. Demon Of The Fall

Sameh

Postby Sameh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:BTBAM are both supposedly 'progressive' metal bands but sound nothing like one another.

Yeah, I already stated that. But it's like saying "Iron Maiden and Slayer are both supposedly Metal bands but sound nothing like one another."

bodiesinflight57 wrote:I think it's interesting that you call BTBAM more ambitious.

Why? Obviously I'm only referring to Colors and The Great Misdirect.

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”