In Flames

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
Hypergeek

Re: In Flames

Postby Hypergeek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah, that one was very much wishful thinking on my part!

I'm actually quite excited for the new album (silly name aside). It'll be interesting to see where the sound goes without Jesper.

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

I think it'll represent the biggest stylistic shift between albums since 1995 when they wrote The Jester Race.

There have been some brave things done on the last few records. Nothing on an album-wide scale, but tracks like The Chosen Pessimist, Evil In A Closet etc are opening up new territory. And I was thinking to myself, 'what kind of In Flames music suits the name 'Sounds Of A Playground Fading'?'...and I realised, The Chosen Pessimist did exactly that. Nobody knows to what extent Jesper's departure will have affected the sound but maybe it came as an invitation to do something really different.

Hypergeek

Postby Hypergeek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm

That could well be the case. I'm expecting songs like the ones you mentioned being part of a slower, more considered sound, with the 'heavy' tracks becoming the exception rather than the norm (though I suppose that could already be considered the case). It also wouldn't surprise me to see them dabble more extensively with electronics, and maybe some orchestral parts.

Speculation aside, it'll certainly be interesting. Roll on June!

Retard

Postby Retard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Hopefully they don't play any stuff of the newest album it's gooseberry i want to hear Jotun and The Hive.
BRUNNERS CAN'T HANDLE THIS gooseberry RUN AROUND THE FORUMS AFTER ME BRUNNERS RUN AROUND I AM THE PUPPET MASTER.

MODERATOR OF LOVE AND PEACE

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

Personally, I think they'd do well to try and make a really heavy album! It just wouldn't be the same otherwise...
YOU ARE THE SICKNESS IN BETWEEN.
Collect some stars to shine for you, let's start today there's only a few...

Disgruntled Jim

Postby Disgruntled Jim » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:12 am

jonny_sniper wrote:Personally, I think they'd do well to try and make a really heavy album! It just wouldn't be the same otherwise...

Their recent stuff is embarrassing to be honest.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 am

MalevolentJim wrote:
jonny_sniper wrote:Personally, I think they'd do well to try and make a really heavy album! It just wouldn't be the same otherwise...

Their recent stuff is embarrassing to be honest.

It depends. Reroute to Remain is a good effort and Come Clarity is freaking quality, but Sense of Purpose is terrible. ;)

duncang

Postby duncang » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Why should it be 'the same'? They've never been the same from album to album.

Jueeeyy

Postby Jueeeyy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm

I saw them live when they did a tour a couple of years ago with Killswitch Engage; I think it was the Rockstar tour? Anyway, after seeing them live I became a massive fan, I can't wait to see them again. :)

duncang

Postby duncang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:10 pm

In case any of you missed it, Niclas Engelin has been confirmed as the permanent replacement for Jesper.

I wonder if this will have any effect on their setlist selection. The common myth was that Jesper would always push for older stuff - having had no part in making any of it, Niclas might have a fresh perspective on some of the songs and they might unearth some surprises...or, being new, he might keep quiet. Who knows?

I suppose all it does mean is that the chances of hearing anything from Lunar Strain ever again (besides Behind Space or maybe Clad In Shadows) has been reduced from 0.001 0.000000000001 by the way of nobody in the band actually having made that album.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:29 pm

duncang wrote:

Why should it be 'the same'? They've never been the same from album to album.

Well, obviously not, but they need to still remain a metal band. Otherwise all the principles that made them awesome will be lost.

duncang

Postby duncang » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:53 pm

And new principles may be introduced, making them good or bad in other ways.

But don't worry, it will be a metal album.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:29 pm

duncang wrote:And new principles may be introduced, making them good or bad in other ways.

But don't worry, it will be a metal album.

This pleases me greatly! ;) I can't wait for their set!

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:07 am

benjodave wrote:Very happy about these.

They were amazing at TOC 2009, but I was let down by the absence of Only for the Weak. Hopefully they'll play it at Soni - it has great live energy from the footage I've seen.

Yeah they put on an amazing show at ToC'09, in my opinion they deserved to headline the tour over KSE but, ah well. It'll be fantastic to see them again, I'm just curious to see what stage they'll be at. Love the Melodic Death Metal thing that Soni' have got going on this year, I totally thought they lacked that at 09 and 10.

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:09 pm

As far as the new album goes I feel they should ditch the electronics, bring back the solos and go for a raw, back-to-basics record. A Sense of Purpose really failed to make an impact on me which is a shame because I loved the loose trilogy of Whorace, Colony and Clayman, definitely In Flames at their best if you ask me.
Still, they'll (hopefully) be one of the highlights of the Sunday and I'm sure they'll pull out the classics for their set on the day.
jonny_sniper wrote:Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

duncang

Postby duncang » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:34 pm

jasonisphere wrote:As far as the new album goes I feel they should ditch the electronics, bring back the solos and go for a raw, back-to-basics record. A Sense of Purpose really failed to make an impact on me which is a shame because I loved the loose trilogy of Whorace, Colony and Clayman, definitely In Flames at their best if you ask me.
Still, they'll (hopefully) be one of the highlights of the Sunday and I'm sure they'll pull out the classics for their set on the day.

In Flames have never made a raw record. In fact, the last few albums have been far more raw than Colony or Clayman and have frankly been a lot more 'back to basics' as well.

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm

duncang wrote:
jasonisphere wrote:As far as the new album goes I feel they should ditch the electronics, bring back the solos and go for a raw, back-to-basics record. A Sense of Purpose really failed to make an impact on me which is a shame because I loved the loose trilogy of Whorace, Colony and Clayman, definitely In Flames at their best if you ask me.

In Flames have never made a raw record. In fact, the last few albums have been far more raw than Colony or Clayman and have frankly been a lot more 'back to basics' as well.

You really think so? Perhaps raw isn't the best word to use. I'm thinking more their first couple of albums, that classic, unpolished Gothenburg sound. Realistically, I can't see it happening without Jesper though. We'll just have to see where they take it.
jonny_sniper wrote:Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

duncang

Postby duncang » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Again, the middle period is by far their most 'polished' in terms of production but yeah, the first two are a little bit rougher round the edges, particularly Lunar Strain.

If that's what you're looking for you should listen to their 1993 demo tape, pure magic. Not the remastered version, though

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah I've listened to the remastered version but never the original. Completely different style of songwriting as well as production too. Of course it's not unreasonable to expect a band to evolve their sound over the years.

duncang

Postby duncang » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 pm

In Flames have signed to Century Media Records.

Good news - Nuclear Blast has been pretty benign for a long time bar a band or two and Century Media have good business heads and a pretty good roster. They love their package tours too, so I'd consider bands like Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity or even Intronaut potential tourmates.

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 pm

Wow. That's huge news.

Thinking about it The Haunted have got a new album out this year - they'd go well on a tour together. Dark Tranquility though would be epic! Swapping singers for encores for a run through the oldies? :P

Though I wouldn't write Nuclear Blast off entirely, they still have a solid roster, I think they're just giving more focus to newer bands at the moment, eg. Sylosis, AOAA...

Xalerator

Postby Xalerator » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Ginger44 wrote:Can anyone suggest some tracks to get me into these guys or an album. Like what ive heard but that is barely anything

Free Fall, Drifter, My Sweet Shadow, Pindball Map, World of Promises :)

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:16 pm

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=155956

Aaaand the album is gonna be different!

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Interesting... sounds like they could be playing around with the Reroute to Remain sound on this new album, which I wouldn't complain about as it's the album that got me into them initially :P

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 pm

What makes you think it's going near Reroute?

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”