In Flames

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
jasonisphere

Re: In Flames

Postby jasonisphere » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Just the way he's mentioned Depeche Mode and the accordion makes me think that the album will nod towards the electronic and the folk influences that were on Reroute. Maybe more songs in the vein of 'Dawn of a New Day' and 'Metaphor'. What do you reckon duncang?
jonny_sniper wrote:Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:42 pm

I think more 'quiet' songs ala Metaphor seem likely but they tend not to fully revisit old sounds or styles. Accordion is a pretty fruity instrument though, I don't think they've laid down a reference point for an instrument like that in their back catalogue. We'll have to wait and see!

In other news, original guitarists Jesper Strömblad and Glenn Ljungström have formed a new band called The Resistance. Add to that the quote from Anders Friden about 'getting along' and it does seem like Jesper's alcoholism certainly wasn't the only reason he quit. I'm looking forward to hearing what they can put together.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Am I the only person who thinks In Flames deserve a higher placing on the bill? I mean, I'd say they could easily play a higher mainstage slot.
YOU ARE THE SICKNESS IN BETWEEN.
Collect some stars to shine for you, let's start today there's only a few...

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

jonny_sniper wrote:Am I the only person who thinks In Flames deserve a higher placing on the bill? I mean, I'd say they could easily play a higher mainstage slot.

Yes.
:animals-cow:

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Ross wrote:
jonny_sniper wrote:Am I the only person who thinks In Flames deserve a higher placing on the bill? I mean, I'd say they could easily play a higher mainstage slot.

Yes.

Really? I thought they were one of the bigger metal bands out there so far...

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:47 pm

duncang wrote:In other news, original guitarists Jesper Strömblad and Glenn Ljungström have formed a new band called The Resistance. Add to that the quote from Anders Friden about 'getting along' and it does seem like Jesper's alcoholism certainly wasn't the only reason he quit. I'm looking forward to hearing what they can put together.

It's not unlikely that creative differences can arise after nearly two decades, maybe Jesper's drink problem was a tipping point to an already existing rift... shame, really.
So this new band, then, could be more akin to the 'raw' (for the lack of a better term) sound of In Flames' early work which we were discussing above.

They do deseve more recognition; they are one of metal's most underrated bands, but unfortunately as far as the bill goes, mainstream bands such as Slipknot and Limp Bizkit will always be bigger crowd pleasers.
jonny_sniper wrote:Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:49 pm

jasonisphere wrote:

They do deseve more recognition; they are one of metal's most underrated bands, but unfortunately as far as the bill goes, mainstream bands such as Slipknot and Limp Bizkit will always be bigger crowd pleasers.

I can't argue with that, but it doesn't seem fair considering the amount of albums they have under their belt. But that's the way the music industry works. I'm happy to finally be seeing them live after they cancelled on me twice before! :P

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:44 pm

jonny_sniper wrote:
jasonisphere wrote:

I can't argue with that, but it doesn't seem fair considering the amount of albums they have under their belt. But that's the way the music industry works. I'm happy to finally be seeing them live after they cancelled on me twice before! :P

You better not be some jinx now! :twisted:

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Do you think they will get the same slot as Fear Factory last year? I've only seen them once before so will be great to see the again.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Blackwater wrote:Do you think they will get the same slot as Fear Factory last year? I've only seen them once before so will be great to see the again.

Quite likely.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

jasonisphere wrote:
Blackwater wrote:Do you think they will get the same slot as Fear Factory last year? I've only seen them once before so will be great to see the again.

Quite likely.

I agree. That seems about right considering their size. Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:52 am

jonny_sniper wrote:
jasonisphere wrote:

Quite likely.

I agree. That seems about right considering their size. Oh, and Jason, I just noticed the legendary Tony Kakko in your avatar. I think I love you even more now! ;)

Mr. Sniper, sir, you just made the sig.

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm honoured! Gone are the days when everybody used to put me in their sig! ;) You camping with any of the boardies?

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 pm

jonny_sniper wrote:I'm honoured! Gone are the days when everybody used to put me in their sig! ;) You camping with any of the boardies?

Nooo, the past two years just my girlfriend and I have gone down and basically made friends with whoever our tent neighbours have been. We treat it more like a holiday - sod going to Paris or Rome, real couples go to rock festivals! :P
I've not really got to know anyone yet because I've only just recently starting posting (was lurking for two years hitherto though).

jonny_sniper

Postby jonny_sniper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 pm

jasonisphere wrote:
jonny_sniper wrote:I'm honoured! Gone are the days when everybody used to put me in their sig! ;) You camping with any of the boardies?

Nooo, the past two years just my girlfriend and I have gone down and basically made friends with whoever our tent neighbours have been. We treat it more like a holiday - sod going to Paris or Rome, real couples go to rock festivals! :P
I've not really got to know anyone yet because I've only just recently starting posting (was lurking for two years hitherto though).

Me and my girlfriend are doing the same this year! Defo gonna find you for a drink or two! ;) Got the book of Face?

jasonisphere

Postby jasonisphere » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:38 pm

stew27

Postby stew27 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:02 pm

lookin forward to seein them after they cancelled their show the last time i had tickets to see em!
Did you know, Billy Gibbons once called Satan a pussy?...Satan cried for three weeks.
And last week Billy Gibbons moved into your first apartment?...your mum.
And last night Billy Gibbons didn't just touch MC Hammer...he kicked his frakking head in!

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Tue May 03, 2011 1:59 pm

stew27 wrote:lookin forward to seein them after they cancelled their show the last time i had tickets to see em!

when was that?

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue May 03, 2011 3:11 pm

April 2009, booked a pretty extensive UK tour but had to cancel it

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Tue May 03, 2011 3:35 pm

duncang wrote:April 2009, booked a pretty extensive UK tour but had to cancel it

Ah. I saw them in December 2009 for Taste of Chaos, they put on an amazing show. The crowd support was insane, probably one of my favorite live bands along with Skindred, Lamb of God and The Streets.

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue May 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Fun mix

They're my favourite band so obviously their shows are among my very favourites but there are better out there in terms of putting on the best show and bettering their recordings

Jagerpie

Postby Jagerpie » Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Yeah there are better bands, but for me that was my first time seeing one of my favorite bands live so i knew all the words and really got into it :D and the crowd participation was sick. Have you listened to their new stuff? I reckon they'll probably play this live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NLT0-UY3U

duncang

Postby duncang » Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 pm

You'd imagine so as it's the lead single

Xale

Postby Xale » Fri May 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Deliver Us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP-bFwZNkEg
It's being released officially in the UK on Sunday.
Personally, I like it, I wasn't a big fan of it at first but it grew on me. I've also been listening to A Sense of Purpose a lot lately.. I wouldn't mind seeing The Mirror's Truth or Sober & Irrelevant at Sonisphere.

Edit: Link isn't working anymore, but if you look around you'll be able to find it
Last edited by Xale on Sun May 15, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerbilessences

Postby gerbilessences » Sun May 08, 2011 5:39 pm

I've never seen IF before and I'm a huge fan. I mainly like the older stuff (Jester Race et al) but should be awesome nevertheless.

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”