Slipknot

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
rockgeek

Slipknot

Postby rockgeek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Slipknot will close the festival, headlining Apollo on Sunday the 10th of July

About the band:
http://www.slipknot1.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipknot_(band)

Music Links:
http://www.last.fm/music/Slipknot?ac=SLIPKNOT
http://www.myspace.com/slipknot1
http://open.spotify.com/artist/05fG473iIaoy82BF1aGhL8
http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/slipknot-1bd6a5b4.html

Listening Guide

Slipknot have currently released 4 Studio albums. Starting with the self titled debut 'Slipknot', followed up by 'Iowa', 'Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)' and lastly their most recent release 'All Hope is Gone'.

Where to start?
Wait and Bleed (from 'Slipknot')
Before I forget (from 'Vol.3')
Psychosocial (from 'All Hope is Gone')
Snuff (from 'All Hope is Gone')
Heretic Anthem (from 'Iowa'
People = gooseberry (from 'Iowa')

Of course there's plenty more than that. Though the list above should give a good representation of the range of the band and give you an idea of some of the stuff they'll most likely play at Sonisphere this year. All of their stuff can be found on Spotify if you wish to check out more!

What are they like live?
Slipknot have a reputation as one of the greatest live bands around, combining their character with unique stage sets and music, as shown in the video below. BEWARE: STRONG LANGUAGE

kazz

Re: Slipknot

Postby kazz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 am

band i am most excited about seeing.

the thing i like about this is it has been the least hyped come-back (that i am aware of) and yet it is going to be absolutely fuckin' amazing. (going by past performances).

:D
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:17 am

The only headliner i'm actually looking forward to. Really need to listen to all thier material before Soni though, when i saw them i only knew about 4 or 5 songs.
:animals-cow:

corney91

Postby corney91 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 am

kazz wrote:band i am most excited about seeing.

the thing i like about this is it has been the least hyped come-back (that i am aware of) and yet it is going to be absolutely fuckin' amazing. (going by past performances).

:D

Yeah, that's probably because it's only been, like, three years... :P

They're frakking amazing. I can't put it into better words :P

kazz

Postby kazz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:54 am

not exactly what i meant corney but you know what my words are like.

:roll:

what i meant was: when paul gray died, slipknot were on hiatus and they had always said that if one of them had died then that was it. then there was word of them maybe reforming but there's not been heaps and heaps of information on it. and then they were announced for sonisphere, and the excitement has been more around the fact that they are playing and how good they are as opposed to them returning following paul gray's death. (which is how it should be, in my opinion).

i hope that makes more sense.

:?

corney91

Postby corney91 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:14 am

kazz wrote:not exactly what i meant corney but you know what my words are like.

:roll:

what i meant was: when paul gray died, slipknot were on hiatus and they had always said that if one of them had died then that was it. then there was word of them maybe reforming but there's not been heaps and heaps of information on it. and then they were announced for sonisphere, and the excitement has been more around the fact that they are playing and how good they are as opposed to them returning following paul gray's death. (which is how it should be, in my opinion).

i hope that makes more sense.

:?

Gotcha, I'd forgotten about the whole question about whether they would carry on thing... :)

kazz

Postby kazz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 am

ah, so i made more sense that time. makes a change, i suppose.

:lol:

not to worry corney, even i get confused by me.

;)

Spriffle

Postby Spriffle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 am

It's true tbf! I think the whole big 4 playing together thing in the UK is overshadowing this completely. Like at the High Voltage tour with Heaven and Hell doing there final performance was being overshadowed by Maidens return, and whether or not it was Maidens last album etc!

Ahhh how I can't wait to see what happens with Slipknot now...shall be interesting and amazing no matter what happens, Joey talking about a new album again too! Bless his heart haha

benjodave

Postby benjodave » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:27 am

I'm looking forward to these much more than I am to the Big Four. I know more of their songs, and it's more my sort of music; I'm sure many more have this opinion also.

They're the first "extreme" band I ever got in to, so they're pretty classic for me as well.

MetalNinja

Postby MetalNinja » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Saw Slipknot with Machine Head and Childrn of Bodom in '09, did a great show so I'm hoping they destroy Sonisphere this year to make it a memorable night and a fantastic tribute to a fallen comrade. Looking forward to this :)
alexcore wrote:Ninjas don't sleep, they just wait.

yituool

Postby yituool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 am

benjodave wrote:They're the first "extreme" band I ever got in to

wat

If you're interested in going to Bloodstock, please buy tickets off of my link. It will be much appreciated, and I will try and return the favour in some way:
http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/affiliates/id/1217_1

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:48 pm

yituool wrote:
benjodave wrote:They're the first "extreme" band I ever got in to

wat

They're the first "extreme" band he ever got into

yituool

Postby yituool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Damn I should learn to read. Either way I don't know how Slipknot can be considered in any way "extreme". That would be like calling a leisurely bike ride an extreme sport.

If you're interested in going to Bloodstock, please buy tickets off of my link. It will be much appreciated, and I will try and return the favour in some way:

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 pm

1. "Extreme" with quote marks
2. They are by far the most extreme band of their size

Spriffle

Postby Spriffle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

MetalNinja wrote:Saw Slipknot with Machine Head and Childrn of Bodom in '09, did a great show so I'm hoping they destroy Sonisphere this year to make it a memorable night and a fantastic tribute to a fallen comrade. Looking forward to this :)

I saw them in Birmingham with the same tour! Machine Head totally destroyed it, Slipknot destroyed the remains of who was left standing, it was probably my best gig ever. Near impossible to beat it!

I feel that everyones gonna be going home battered and bruised come the end of the evening on Sunday, I think everyone of the audience watching is gonna go insane in rememberance of Mr Grey...and they'll put on onea there best shows ever because of Mr Grey too! Can't frakking wait!
Last edited by Spriffle on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yituool

Postby yituool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 pm

duncang wrote:1. "Extreme" with quote marks
2. They are by far the most extreme band of their size

Definition of "extreme": 'Of the greatest possible degree or extent or intensity'.

Metallica are the most "extreme" band to headline the O2 Academy, does that mean they are therefore extreme in the wider field of music?

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 pm

He put extreme in "" which suggests that he knows they aren't actually extreme, but a lot of people who aren't actually into metal would consider them extreme. Technically you could argue some of the stuff is pretty extreme, sure it's not extreme compared to the actual bands out there considered extreme overall, but again that's why he used "" :roll:

Either way, you're just being pedantic, it's not really important.

yituool

Postby yituool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Those people need to learn the definition of the word "extreme".

It's important to stop the spread of misinformation and ignorance, which is kinda pissing me off.

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 pm

yituool wrote:Those people need to learn the definition of the word "extreme".

It's important to stop the spread of misinformation and ignorance, which is kinda pissing me off.

By the dictionary definition of the word extreme, only the single most intense band could be considered as such.

'Stop the spread of misinformation and ignorance'? It's Slipknot mate, not The Matrix

yituool

Postby yituool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 pm

duncang wrote:
yituool wrote:Those people need to learn the definition of the word "extreme".

By the dictionary definition of the word extreme, only the single most intense band could be considered as such.

'Stop the spread of misinformation and ignorance'? It's Slipknot mate, not The Matrix

No, bands can still be considered part of the genre of "extreme metal", as it is the most intense type of metal
due to it featuring the most intense bands. If a band shares the same characteristics (not just one or two) as the most extreme bands they can be considered part of the genre. However, by this condition, Slipknot do not fit into this paradigm.

I just make it my mission to correct ignorance whenever I see it, it's an annoying habit of mine.
Last edited by yituool on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

duncang

Postby duncang » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm

kipper64 wrote:He put extreme in "" which suggests that he knows they aren't actually extreme

You'll stop saying ignorance soon, don't worry.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Well good luck with your mission to rid the world of ignorance, however as I said seeing as he put "" around extreme, shows he knows they aren't actually extreme in the proper sense hence he knows now, and that means he doesn't actually have to be told the band aren't really that extreme compared to others. So really the point you are making is to nobody, making it rather pointless

yituool

Postby yituool » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Well the point I'm making is that anyone who actually does consider them extreme, regardless of whether they are familiar with metal or not, should not be allowed an opinion.

DIO

Postby DIO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 pm

yituool wrote:Well the point I'm making is that anyone who actually does consider them extreme, regardless of whether they are familiar with metal or not, should not be allowed an opinion.

When i first heard them I was into Iron Maiden, Metallica and Saxon... Compared to those bands Slipknot seemed insanely extreme, for an 11 year old at the time anyway :lol:

Obviously now I have a mixed taste in metal that ranges across the full spectrum of sub-genres and all that bullshite, so Slipknot don't seem that 'extreme' anymore, still doesn't take the away fact that they're heavy as frakk, and back in the day they seemed to have an extreme approach to them compared to the other metal bands that we're coming onto the scene.

Spriffle

Postby Spriffle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Ahhh im just randomly gonna put me favorite 5 songs by em in no order

Gematria
I Am Hated
Heretic Anthem
Opium of The People
Skin Ticket

Found it had to decide what to put down, but thought going away from the more commercial songs they do bar heretic anthem lol

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”