Biffy Clyro

All the officially confirmed acts for Sonisphere UK 2011
Toni108

Re: Biffy Clyro

Postby Toni108 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Biffy were only outdone by Slipknot for me. Hearing them play Machines made the performance perfect for me

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Toni108 wrote:Biffy were only outdone by Slipknot for me. Hearing them play Machines made the performance perfect for me

ditto for me :) except replace slipknot with metallica :P

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Children of Bodom 17/02/09
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

adrenalinetoes

Postby adrenalinetoes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:50 pm

As one of the people initialy disapointed with them headlining, I have to say I was very impressed, Brilliant show and in my opinion they outdone Slipknot by a mile.

Toni108

Postby Toni108 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 pm

adrenalinetoes wrote:As one of the people initialy disapointed with them headlining, I have to say I was very impressed, Brilliant show and in my opinion they outdone Slipknot by a mile.

Its a tough one because they are completely different. I think one of the main reasons I think Slipknot outdid Biffy is just the pure atmosphere. They really were amazing and I'm not sure anyone can argue their headliner status now.

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Toni108 wrote:
adrenalinetoes wrote:As one of the people initialy disapointed with them headlining, I have to say I was very impressed, Brilliant show and in my opinion they outdone Slipknot by a mile.

Its a tough one because they are completely different. I think one of the main reasons I think Slipknot outdid Biffy is just the pure atmosphere. They really were amazing and I'm not sure anyone can argue their headliner status now.

youre right but the atmosphere for slipknot was because of the emotions about paul gray's death. the atmosphere for biffy was because of the music. this is why biffy are my favourite of the two :D

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

Toni108

Postby Toni108 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

darth moo wrote:
Toni108 wrote:

youre right but the atmosphere for slipknot was because of the emotions about paul gray's death. the atmosphere for biffy was because of the music. this is why biffy are my favourite of the two :D

Totally agree with that. I was pretty much at the front for Biffy and got crushed, didn't really give me a chance to enjoy it as much as I could have. Stayed further back for Slipknot and enjoyed it more.

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Toni108 wrote:
Totally agree with that. I was pretty much at the front for Biffy and got crushed, didn't really give me a chance to enjoy it as much as I could have. Stayed further back for Slipknot and enjoyed it more.

after being crushed to death during slayer on friday i moved back when metallica came on and then stayed a reasonable distance back for all acts on apollo for the rest of the weekend (the smaller stages weren't too bad) during mountains i crowdsurfed to the front and over the barrier though :D first time i'd crowdsurfed and then i did it 2 more times later on in the weekend :P

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

redpiggy

Postby redpiggy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Having seen Biffy before I knew they'd be good. I just didn't think I'd enjoy much of the setlist as I expected much more newer stuff.
Was well impressed to hear Jaggy Snake!!
Definitely the highlight of the festival surprisingly!

The 59 Sound

Postby The 59 Sound » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:51 pm

I think they played well. With the extra time they had they brung out there old stuff :)
Upcoming Gigs

Sonisphere!

redpiggy

Postby redpiggy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07 pm

I was surprised afterwards just how much of the new album they'd played. Then realised they played close to 30 songs so they added loads of songs instead of changing them for older ones.

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:11 pm

wow i didn't realise they played so many songs :shock:

Apparently this was the setlist:

The Captain
Booooom, Blast & Ruin
Bubbles
Born On A Horse
Stress on the Sky
God & Satan
Whorses
All The Way Down: Prologue Chapter 1
That Golden Rule
Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies
Shock Shock
9/15ths
The Joke's On Us
Machines
Who's Got a Match?
Saturday Superhouse
Know Your Quarry
Raining Blood intro (Slayer cover)
There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake
Many Of Horror

Encore:
Glitter and Trauma
Cloud Of Stink
Mountains

loved that they played slayer :P actually i loved everything they played :lol:

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:02 pm

darth moo wrote:
ANXIETY wrote:
darth moo wrote:are you joking? he's probably one of the most charismatic frontmen i can think of! :o they were amazing as well - highlight of my weekend (after metallica)

It was a brilliant performance, but charismatic? Not really.

i dont understand how you could possibly think he isnt charismatic but fair enough :?

Considering how nervous he was I think he did well, stage persona wise. I wouldn't necessarily describe Si as that charismatic on stage ever though. He's more of a "get on with it and rock out" kind of frontman. Charismatic in person for sure but on stage I think he prefers to let the music do the talking.

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:
Considering how nervous he was I think he did well, stage persona wise. I wouldn't necessarily describe Si as that charismatic on stage ever though. He's more of a "get on with it and rock out" kind of frontman. Charismatic in person for sure but on stage I think he prefers to let the music do the talking.

i think he's very charismatic in the way that he plays the music - he doesn't really talk as much as for example james hetfield or corey taylor do, but he did do some talking and i thought he was great. he's like dave mustaine - they both play their instruments in a way which means they dont need to talk to the audience to get them pumped :P

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Biffy were the tatty bojangles and I have heard they changed people's minds, like I always said they would.

The only complaint i had was that i was about to go mental for the awesome riff that follows the raining blood intro, and then they stopped D:

bodiesinflight57

Postby bodiesinflight57 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

darth moo wrote:
bodiesinflight57 wrote:

i think he's very charismatic in the way that he plays the music - he doesn't really talk as much as for example james hetfield or corey taylor do, but he did do some talking and i thought he was great. he's like dave mustaine - they both play their instruments in a way which means they dont need to talk to the audience to get them pumped :P

that's more 'stage presence' than 'charisma' but I see what you mean.

Toni108

Postby Toni108 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:16 pm

darth moo wrote:
bodiesinflight57 wrote:

It gets me how there isn't really a happy medium when it comes to talking on stage. Fred Durst talked far too much...people complained. Simon Neil doesn't talk enough...people complain. Personally I preferred Simon's 'get on with it and let the music do all the talking' approach. If I had wanted to pay a fortune to watch people talk, I would have spent all my time watching the comedy acts. I was there for music. Either way, I think they did damn well considering the nerves they must have all had headlining not only a festival, but a 'metal' festival.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Quality sound, quality light, and quality tunes.
Was looking forward to seeing them but was surprised on just how good they were, glad they just batted the tunes out so we got the most from the time they were on.

And the slayer bit as well <3
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:that's more 'stage presence' than 'charisma' but I see what you mean.

yeah that's what i meant you just chose a better word to describe it ;) haha

Toni108 wrote: If I had wanted to pay a fortune to watch people talk, I would have spent all my time watching the comedy acts. I was there for music.

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

Brother Mouzone

Postby Brother Mouzone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

as a fan of many years it was crazy seeing the boys playing on the big stage with great production value

mon the fcuking biffy
Image Image

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 am

darth moo wrote:

:?
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:16 am

ANXIETY wrote:
darth moo wrote:

what? lol

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 am

darth moo wrote:
ANXIETY wrote:
darth moo wrote:

what? lol

Slipknot put on a great performance. Only thing about Paul Gray was the ending. The atmosphere before then was still one of the most intense I had ever seen. Great set, and to say it is only because of Paul Gray is a massive injustice to Slipknot, imo.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

darth moo

Postby darth moo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:46 am

ANXIETY wrote:
Slipknot put on a great performance. Only thing about Paul Gray was the ending. The atmosphere before then was still one of the most intense I had ever seen. Great set, and to say it is only because of Paul Gray is a massive injustice to Slipknot, imo.

oh no i didnt mean it was only because of his death, i meant it was more intense because of that :) i know slipknot are always great live, i was trying to say that if you only take into account the music, i think that biffy's atmosphere is better. that's only my opinion though obviously and im sure a lot of people will be the other way around. i dont like slipknot as much as i used to anyway, i've sort of grown out of their music a bit...

Slipknot 07/12/08
    Disturbed 07/12/10
    Sonisphere 07/07/11
    Judas Priest 17/07/11
    Iron Maiden 27/07/11

Hammerzeit

Postby Hammerzeit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:13 pm

bodiesinflight57 wrote:
darth moo wrote:
bodiesinflight57 wrote:

that's more 'stage presence' than 'charisma' but I see what you mean.

Yeah it's all eyes on him. Corey Taylor and Papa Het have both.

bunter007

Postby bunter007 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 am

enjoyed The Captain but the next 4 songs were crap so i left to go and see Paradise Lost who were even worse.... :text-givemebeer:

Return to “Confirmed Acts for 2011”