Few ideas.

If you have any questions regarding the festival, please ask them in here. Please also try searching for your query before you post as many people will have had the same queries as you and they will have already been answered :)
King_Walnut

Few ideas.

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 am

Been looking at Nova Rock quite a bit over the past few hours and there's a few things I think could work at Sonisphere:

Mandatory £5 rubbish bag deposit upon entry, get the £5 back when you bring the bag back full. This would obviously dramatically reduce the amount of rubbish left on site after we've all gone home.

Bungee jumping. All you need is a crane and a few people that know about bungee jumping, then you charge 50 quid a go and milk a fu­ck-ton of money from drunk people.

Instead of selling only 24 packs of chilled beer in the campsite, sell individual cans for a pound each or something? I'm pretty sure that would end up making the festival more money overall.

Thoughts?
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

OneZeroOneUK

Re: Few ideas.

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:00 am

Top one has been suggested at the FGM by a past Nova Rock attendee. I agree that it's a very good idea, as do Kili IIRC.

I'd totally be up for bungee at a festival. However, whether it's because of H&S or just plain old CBA, I doubt we'll see a bungee crane anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong about that though.

As for single cans, well I saw a couple of people with the entrepreneurial spirit doing that exact thing. Seemed to be making a killing with a mark-up that was a fraction of what the slab store was charging on Carlsberg cans.

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:15 pm

King_Walnut wrote:Been looking at Nova Rock quite a bit over the past few hours and there's a few things I think could work at Sonisphere:

Mandatory £5 rubbish bag deposit upon entry, get the £5 back when you bring the bag back full. This would obviously dramatically reduce the amount of rubbish left on site after we've all gone home.

Bungee jumping. All you need is a crane and a few people that know about bungee jumping, then you charge 50 quid a go and milk a fu­ck-ton of money from drunk people.

Instead of selling only 24 packs of chilled beer in the campsite, sell individual cans for a pound each or something? I'm pretty sure that would end up making the festival more money overall.

Thoughts?

The £5 rubbish bag is a wonderful idea, we had to clamber over neighbours rubbish last year to get to our tent.

Single cans also a good idea, preferably cold

Bungee Jump! erm no, not for me I'll stand at the bottom and try to cheer :puke-right:

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:11 pm

as Tom said the rubbish bag has been suggested ,

i agree with the can thing it wouldnt be too difficult for the carlsberg guys to sell individual cans but the would have to be slightly more expensive than a slab otherwise they wouldnt sell any slabs

i think the problem with the suggestion of a bungee thing is that would need to be sober to sign any waivers they had for injury and i think it is probably a H&S issue. although i could see it being a popular addition over the weekend,
didnt they have a fairground ride that was similar ?
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:34 pm

billytheweed wrote:as Tom said the rubbish bag has been suggested ,

i agree with the can thing it wouldnt be too difficult for the carlsberg guys to sell individual cans but the would have to be slightly more expensive than a slab otherwise they wouldnt sell any slabs

i think the problem with the suggestion of a bungee thing is that would need to be sober to sign any waivers they had for injury and i think it is probably a H&S issue. although i could see it being a popular addition over the weekend,
didnt they have a fairground ride that was similar ?

Health and Safety is the downfall of this country.

Why would Carlsberg care how many cans they sell in one transaction? Surely all that matters is is shifting beers and making lots of money. Makes no difference if 1 person buys 24 cans, or if 24 people buy 1 can each.

Everyone I spoke to was really not keen on buying 24 cans at once, I asked quite a few if they were willing to go halves with me and it was still an unattractive prospect. If they were sold individually, perhaps a few would be like "Brb, just getting a few more beers from the beer place" or people might buy a can on their way up the hill to the arena, or something. I'm pretty sure they'd sell a lot more beer that way.

I'd never buy 24 by myself, but would be perfectly happy to get 5 or 6 to enjoy in the evening.

Tomfiend4.0

Postby Tomfiend4.0 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:07 pm

I'd buy 24 to myself on the first few days but if I had no drink left on Sunday, I definitely wouldn't want to buy a whole 24 pack to myself.

Single cans or even 4 packs would do nicely.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah, there should be more choice.

HarvesterofSorrow

Postby HarvesterofSorrow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 pm

They do all 3 of those things at Rock im Park and it works wonderfully.

The trash thing works quite well and the beer is like a euro a beer. With the trash refund, you get two trash bags and two tokens. You bring two full trash bags and the two tokens to a trash center at the festival and you get 5 euros back. The beer is sold in the camping area in little super market tents that also sell things like coke, snacks and sun block and other things that might be necessary at a festival.

Another thing that works quite well is they have an award at Rock im Park for the cleanest camp site after the festival. You have to take pictures before and after including the surrounding area and then upload it to the official forum. The promoter then awards a gift package to the the cleanest camp site. It includes like 5 free tickets and other goodies.

The Bungee jumping is also set up in a small "fun park" that also includes a Rock Market where you can get t-shirts, patches, other band merchandise and goods as well as food and everything.
2011 - 05 May Iron Maiden (Frankfurt, Germany), 18 June Roger Waters The Wall Live (Duesseldorf, Germany), 2 July - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax (Gelsenkirchen, Germany), 8-9 July Sonisphere France (Amneville)

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Seems like Euro festivals are much more advanced. Perhaps Soni could lead the way for the UK fests.

Reading had something where you filled a bag with cans and they gave you a cold can in return. But I dunno if they even do that anymore.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:16 pm

At Download you could buy 4/6 I'm sure

the only way they lose out is if they've gotta employ more staff, or there's a big queue, things like that.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 pm

It still makes sense.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:22 pm

I think their theory was "people will buy more than they need = more profit" rather than "people buy exactly what they need" but I think you're right. especially as they'll be charging more for individual/a small number of cans.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm

It would work if they did it properly and didn't get too money grabbing. Like, no one's gonna buy a can of beer for £3.50 .. it'd have to be less than 2 quid per can. £1.50 is probably reasonable.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:27 pm

well if a crate of 24 is £30 which I think it was last year, it couldnt possibly be less than £1.50 really

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:31 pm

24 cans for 30 quid works out at £1.25 a can.

£1.50 seems like a sensible price for a single can, then they make 36 quid out of every 24 they sell. I'm sure that pays for the extra staff it would take to unpack a slab.

Although realistically it'll be more expensive than that this year because of the VAT and booze duties going up. Can see them milking that as much as possible and giving us a £4.50 pint with slabs for £40.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:36 pm

that would be a sharp mark up. I'm expecting £4 pints tho

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Well they'd be going up 10/20p anyway, because that's what festivals do. Then add on the extra VAT, which festivals interpret as 20p and then add on the extra penny duty, which in reality means 10p, or even 20.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 pm

wait, what were they charging last year? wasnt £4 was it?

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm

3.80 for beer, 3.90 for cider .. including 10p cup deposit.

I think 2009 was 20p cheaper than that. With a 20p cup deposit, though my memory is hazy..

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

They used to have bungeeeee at Reading and Leeds and might even have had it at Download one year???

DR BEE

Postby DR BEE » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 pm

I don't agree with the £5 rubbish bag thing. Whenever I've been to a festival and never had enough rubbish to fill up a plastic bag, and I'm not trawling through other peoples junk to get my deposit back. Also I could imagine the ques for getting ya dosh back to be a pain.

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 pm

rockgeek wrote:They used to have bungeeeee at Reading and Leeds and might even have had it at Download one year???

dont remember a proper bungee at Leeds. they used to have one of those "reverse bungee" things where you get in a kinda hamster ball things and get launched into the sky. that looked kinda cool. dunno why they stopped that

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:37 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:
rockgeek wrote:They used to have bungeeeee at Reading and Leeds and might even have had it at Download one year???

dont remember a proper bungee at Leeds. they used to have one of those "reverse bungee" things where you get in a kinda hamster ball things and get launched into the sky. that looked kinda cool. dunno why they stopped that

I've been on one of those. Loadsa fun when drunk
Image Image

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm

welshAC_81 wrote:Loadsa fun when drunk

I'd imagine there'd be a lot of vomiting. over quite a wide area come to think of it.....

Frog_Princess

Postby Frog_Princess » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:

They have the hamster ball bungee thing at V Fest (Weston Park) every year. I always looked at it and just thought "vomit" :lol:
:animals-cow: 1k951689 :animals-cow:

Return to “Information & FAQ”