When are we getting the first announcement?

My brothers mates girlfriends girlfriend has it on authority that in 2011 ...
hybrid theorist

Re: When are we getting the first announcement?

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:08 pm

ThornDavis wrote:Download improving its offering only benefits us as customers. For LiveNation, it's just an added expense.

Exactly. It might make it a better quality product. It doesn't make it a better selling/more profitable product for the people selling it.

It's basic economics.
:animals-cow:

staceface!

Postby staceface! » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:10 pm

hybrid theorist wrote:
ThornDavis wrote:Download improving its offering only benefits us as customers. For LiveNation, it's just an added expense.

Exactly. It might make it a better quality product. It doesn't make it a better selling/more profitable product for the people selling it.

It's basic economics.

this is probably the only time since graduating you have been able to flaunt your economics degree!!
please use the very sexy mcmoomins fmc code when buying tickets 1k933315 we shall reward you with squidgy hugs!! <3

AlexVanHalen

Postby AlexVanHalen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:18 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:dok's been working on something he referred to as "Osmond".

I'd quite like a Donnysphere festival.

Osmond shares the first 2 letters of Osbourne...

- BLACK SABBATH CONFIRMED FOR SONISPHERE 2013 -
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

Osmond is also an anagram of "sn doOm"

PARADISE LOST CONFIRMED FOR SATURDAY NIGHT HEADLINERS
Last edited by AlexVanHalen on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonisphere City Ambassador for Luton - 2011
PurpleDemon wrote:you're the worst person ever

rockgeek wrote:If you can find me at Sonisphere 2014, I shall buy you a pint... this applies to anyone

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:20 pm

it might make it better selling if it has more exposure and more people notice the brand because there is hype or whatever, if more people are aware of a product then they are likely to buy that product or similar,
i will have the profitable to a degree , but if they sell 5,000 more tickets because of the hype and extra exposure then they make more money .........

also metallica last year , do you think they would have charged more or less then they would have done if they hadnt been at sonisphere the previous year , i would hazard a guess at less therefore more profit for download .....

it all depends how you spin it
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:22 pm

AlexVanHalen wrote:

Osmond shares the first 2 letters of Osbourne...

- BLACK SABBATH CONFIRMED FOR SONISPHERE 2013 -
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

osmond also has the first two and last two letters of ostend ........frakk they are moving it to Belgium ........ :cry:
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Or it could be the Donny and Marie tour that Kili are promoting, just a thought :lol:
FMC Code - 1k949287

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:34 pm

metalicbear wrote:Or it could be the Donny and Marie tour that Kili are promoting, just a thought :lol:

that as well :lol:
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

houston404

Postby houston404 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Donny Osmond with Queen to headline the Saturday?!
There is no way that it will be met with a hostile reaction :P
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:40 pm

houston404 wrote:

Donny Osmond with Queen to headline the Saturday?!
There is no way that it will be met with a hostile reaction :P

i'd settle for that as long as we had two really stellar headliners fri and sun ..........muse and greenday for EXAMPLE

that said at least we would have a festival to go to :D
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

add

Postby add » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

billytheweed wrote:also metallica last year , do you think they would have charged more or less then they would have done if they hadnt been at sonisphere the previous year , i would hazard a guess at less therefore more profit for download .....

I doubt they will have charged any different tbf

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:44 pm

add wrote:
billytheweed wrote:also metallica last year , do you think they would have charged more or less then they would have done if they hadnt been at sonisphere the previous year , i would hazard a guess at less therefore more profit for download .....

but download may have offered less money :?
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:51 pm

billytheweed wrote:
add wrote:

Didn't they bring their tour early a year though, as they thought they would lose money due to the Euro or some crap.
FMC Code - 1k949287

add

Postby add » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:53 pm

billytheweed wrote:
add wrote:

I doubt it, metalllica have always played a lot of festivals they will have a standard fee for them which doubt they would drop just for download when they wouldnt find it hard to find another to play at in Europe, The fact they made it a one ff show with the black album is good enough evidence of that why would they need a ploy to drive up the profit for a band that play alot if they charged less for them doing it already

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm

they played a few sonispheres this year in the countries they hadnt done the year before

you could be right though dont suppose we will ever know ...... on a slightly related topic

this is an tweet by Mr Copping

Iwrestledasalmon wrote:Why is Andy Copping always so bitter and feels the need to be a tool.

@maverick_ac Isnt it so cute when the little brother copies what the big brother does?
@comb_tomb I couldn't agree with this tweet more!

Wouldnt surprise me if he made the other twitter account himself.

oh dear !!!
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:00 pm

I said it this year and i said it last year Andy Copping needs to keep his mouth shut.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Blackwater wrote:I said it this year and i said it last year Andy Copping needs to keep his mouth shut.

i have a feeling that tweet is from 2010 !!!! although im not 100%
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

billytheweed wrote:it might make it better selling if it has more exposure and more people notice the brand because there is hype or whatever, if more people are aware of a product then they are likely to buy that product or similar,
i will have the profitable to a degree , but if they sell 5,000 more tickets because of the hype and extra exposure then they make more money .........

also metallica last year , do you think they would have charged more or less then they would have done if they hadnt been at sonisphere the previous year , i would hazard a guess at less therefore more profit for download .....

it all depends how you spin it

It doesn't depend on how you spin it. It's never good news for a business when a new competitor enters the market. It always makes things more difficult and it always costs you money. Companies will sometimes put a brave face on it and say "Hey we welcome the competition! it drives innovation and makes us all do the best they can!" but behind the scenes the attitude will always be "OK, how can we crush these motherf***ers and get back to the situation when it was just us?"

You keep coming back to profile and extra exposure but when an equal-sized competitor enters your market your opportunities for exposure are effectively halved; they're certainly not improved. At the moment Download is dominating headlines and conversations in the rock/ metal media. If Sonisphere announced its dates and headliners this afternoon, then suddenly it would have to share that space. When Sonisphere was running, that was half as many Kerrang covers Download could expect to hog, half as many column inches. When it comes to advertising spaces, there's suddenly someone else going for all the same slots, driving up demand and meaning you have to spend more just to shout at the same volume you had before. Except, shouting at the same volume isn't enough anymore, so you have to drive up media spend even higher in order to shout down your competitor.

So yes, Download did raise its profile in response to Soni but it would have cost them alot in terms of media spend and manpower. It's a friggin' pain in the neck when new players come in. About the best you can say is that if a competitor emerges it can draw your attention to some weaknesses in the business, but that's really only useful if your competitor fails before you do and it really only pays out if someone even better enters the market at a later date. All told, Download's ideal situation would just be if other promoters left it alone to continue its cornering of the rock/ metal market.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:17 pm

I remember leaving Download in 09 and seeing masses of sonisphere posters along the main road, was very funny.

There was also the incident in which SG created an account and spammed the Download forums. Which was pure genius.

Sonisphere giving away free tickets to events on the same weekend as Download, so they had less numbers.

On the other side of the fence we had AC bad mouthing Sonisphere at every opportunity he got, coming out with some sheer stupid comments such as the "Metallica need to go away for a few years" and "Placebo, do we like them".

Download trying to create alliances with other festivals in order to stop Sonisphere increasing it's events.

There's probably a lot more than this in the battle between them, which backs up Thorn's arguement that no one likes competition.
FMC Code - 1k949287

add

Postby add » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:24 pm

there is a way that the competition can become profitable to download though and that sadly is if they can wipe sonisphere from the map completely as hen they would loose the competition but the increase in quality over the last few years will still entice customers while they can once again lower their spending of course for that to have a lasting effect they would have to keep the quality of bands up but they wouldnt have to worry as much about the rest of the spending and after a while that would become profitable for them

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:28 pm

billytheweed wrote:
add wrote:

And sold less tickets off the back off metallica than they usually would, because people said "I only saw them last year (and two years before that) I don't want to spend £200 to see them again" :roll:

I'm fairly sure you said yourself at the time they weren't a great booking for exactly that reason.

(before anyone points out that Download sold out, I doubt it was a coincidence that they did it the year soni cancelled)

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 pm

I've got a feeling that we will get something very soon ie Start of October.
FMC Code - 1k949287

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm

I think they need to announce something soon, just so people dont assume its not happening and plan something else

kazz

Postby kazz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 pm

that tweet is from years ago.

why the hell would he tweet about little brother copying the big brother when soni didn't even have a festival this year. maybe little brother should copy big brother and maybe speak to people. i am getting really annoyed at this lack of chat.

:roll:

come on soni... even just an updated forum or something.

:(
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

metalicbear wrote:I've got a feeling that we will get something very soon ie Start of October.

You going to bravely take on the role of Kipper for 2013, revising that date every week or so? :P

add

Postby add » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:10 pm

im thinking end of october start of november

Return to “Wishlists and Rumours”