Other Potential "Big Names"

My brothers mates girlfriends girlfriend has it on authority that in 2011 ...
kipper64

Re: Other Potential "Big Names"

Postby kipper64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:14 pm

metalguru85 wrote:The way I see it is
Minchin or Bailey?
Weezer or WT?
TMV or Refused?
Limp Bizkit or Manson?

All last years acts in a similar position to this years acts are bigger and probably more expensive.

Seems like a few backwards steps for the undercard that's all. I never thought Minchin, WT or Refused would be that high up.

Most of those aren't equal comparison though!

WT aren't subbing, it'd be Weezer against Evanescence - I prefer Weezer but Evanescence are bigger going by how well their last tour sold

Minchin or Bailey, Bailey wins that one

TMV or Refused - Refused win I'd say due to the reunion factor, but they are both about equal

Manson is 3rd from top, not a sub, so it's Manson vs Motorhead of which Manson wins hands down especially as it's his only show and he hasn't toured since 2009 - Motorhead tour all the time.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm

kipper64 wrote:Because like it or not, he's still a big name, and has consistently played second from top near enough his whole career and with a new album on the way out and having apparently sorted himself out, he's a big act to have 3rd from top. He'd still be a popular sub, but 3rd from top considering the risk factor I say is a very fair position and he's one of the bigger 3rd from top bands we've had. Who was 3rd from top the past 2 years? You me at six? Motorhead? Alice In Chains? Papa Roach? He's much bigger than all of them.

I do think it's a very fair position... to Marilyn Manson. He ended his career as a sub-headliner by turning in a legendarily bad performance, and I don't think anyone would have been suprised if noone ever booked him again. So he's been given another chance, and that's a risk Sonisphere are taking and it may pay off. Something had to give way to warrant giving him another shot, and that would be the positioning. It's not a coup to have him where he is, it's the highest slot any festival would give him at this stage.

metalguru85

Postby metalguru85 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Weezer were third I thought? Maybe not.

I know I am complaining about the undercard but i think all three headliners are excellent. It does seem a lot of the budget went to Kiss and Queen though. Meaning the undercard has suffered a bit. As I said a few days ago the next announcement will make it clearer how much they had left to spend. If we only get a few main stage openers and Skid Row without Bach is the special guest its a lineup of thin pickings for me this year.

mike20070

Postby mike20070 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

ANXIETY wrote:
kipper64 wrote:Lacuna Coil definitely aren't Saturn subs, they played 2nd on apollo at like midday in 2010, and they haven't got any bigger. They'll be 2nd on Saturn from the bottom.

They were shite too.

Hoping for Shikari, although they may not get announced anywhere till after their tour.

They were one of the worst in 2010, definitely the most dissapointing
Make the last few days go away already

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 pm

weezer subbed and were the best sub this fest has had

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Minchin or Bailey?
Weezer or WT?
TMV or Refused?
Limp Bizkit or Manson?

All last years acts in a similar position to this years acts are bigger and probably more expensive.

Seems like a few backwards steps for the undercard that's all. I never thought Minchin, WT or Refused would be that high up.

None of those are fair comparisons, in terms of size, this year swamps last years lineup by quite some distance if you actually compare the days and positions, so WT v Slayer, Wolfmother v Anthrax etc
FMC Code - 1k949287

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

metalicbear wrote:
Minchin or Bailey?
Weezer or WT?
TMV or Refused?
Limp Bizkit or Manson?

None of those are fair comparisons, in terms of size, this year swamps last years lineup by quite some distance if you actually compare the days and positions, so WT v Slayer, Wolfmother v Anthrax etc

Depends whether you choose to look at those bands individually rather than as part of the Big Four.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

bloodandthunder

Postby bloodandthunder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Well if we compare:

Kiss vs. Metallica: Both are big enough not to to warrant an argument.
Within Temptation vs. Megadeth: Not much in that, but would say Megadeth are a bigger deal on the basis of them rarely doing UK tours.
Wolfmother vs. Anthrax: Love Anthrax, but Wolfmother are bigger surely?

Queen + Lambert vs. Biffy Clyro: Queen easily.
Evanescence vs. Weezer: Evanescence's tour, as already pointed out, sold very well, so them.
The Darkness vs. You Me At Six: A difficult comparison, but The Darkness.

Faith No More vs. Slipknot: Slipknot with the reunion factor.
Incubus vs. Limp Bizkit: Don't even know where to start with that comparison tbh, both reasonable (tbh Offspring would have been such a better booking though).
Marilyn Manson vs. Motorhead: Manson. No doubt. Especially with all Motorhead's touring.
Cypress Hill vs. Mastodon: A very difficult one. Probably CH tbh.

(For argument's sake I've swapped these two around)
Refused vs. The Mars Volta: TMV are probably a bit bigger but Refused with the reunion factor.
Tim Minchin vs. Bill Bailey: Bill. Easily.

So I put that at:
2011 - 3.
2012 - 7.
Ties - 2.

I think the only complains about the line-up stem from its lack of any focus towards any genre, not its size.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm

That seems a fair analysis! Although I think the lack of focus isn't really true. Friday so far will probably be very classic rock orientated - WT stick out a bit but Kiss and Wolfmother go well, and I imagine Kiss's sub will fit fairly well with them.

Saturday is maybe a bit more eclectic, but Sunday is very 90's and 00's alternative rock day and most of the bull fits very well together, but either way, there's still like half the line up to appear for both those days, so it's early days yet!

bloodandthunder

Postby bloodandthunder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 pm

kipper64 wrote:That seems a fair analysis! Although I think the lack of focus isn't really true. Friday so far will probably be very classic rock orientated - WT stick out a bit but Kiss and Wolfmother go well, and I imagine Kiss's sub will fit fairly well with them.

Saturday is maybe a bit more eclectic, but Sunday is very 90's and 00's alternative rock day and most of the bull fits very well together, but either way, there's still like half the line up to appear for both those days, so it's early days yet!

Yeah I meant more in terms of across days - I can't see all that many KISS fans wanting to stick around to see FNM or FNM fans sitting through Queen w/Lambert. But maybe that's just me. I'll be there regardless :D.

And true, early days yet. Hoping for Priest/Scorpions for Kiss special guests, Twisted Sister somewhere on the bill (just confirmed for Graspop) and Skindred somewhere too. Oh and DEP and Clutch wouldn't be amiss.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Fair point! I reckon weekend tickets will still sell fine - probably as well as 2010's did, but camping may be less cramped than 2011 which basically hit camping capacity afaik, with the fest still selling out but on day tickets this year. Which is fine by me, a bit more space in the campsite would be lovely :)

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 pm

kipper64 wrote:Fair point! I reckon weekend tickets will still sell fine - probably as well as 2010's did, but camping may be less cramped than 2011 which basically hit camping capacity afaik, with the fest still selling out but on day tickets this year. Which is fine by me, a bit more space in the campsite would be lovely :)

depends how the camping tickets sell , if they have a limited ammount of day tickets and they sell out then some people may buy a weekend arena ticket or camping , if camping isnt selling that well then they can always start selling day tickets again.
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

Grables

Postby Grables » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Meshuggah.

Jondy

Postby Jondy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 am

What about Van Halen to sub headline Kiss. I thought the organizers were keen to get them as soon as last years Soni ended

cosmicsunn

Postby cosmicsunn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 pm

what about DOWN? i'm pretty sure they're gonna release a new album this year. apollo on sunday?

metalguru85

Postby metalguru85 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Would love Down! There is definately a spot on the bill for them!

hybrid theorist

Postby hybrid theorist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Jondy wrote:What about Van Halen to sub headline Kiss. I thought the organizers were keen to get them as soon as last years Soni ended

they're not bothered for coming over to Europe to headline a string of festivals (or their own arena/stadium shows), they're not gonna come for a subbing position at a single festival.

would love Down, just about the only band I missed at Download that I wish had been at Novarock.
:animals-cow:

McMenemy

Postby McMenemy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 pm

I thought Down were pretty average when I saw them at Download.

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Hawkwind are releasing a new album, maybe we could get them on the Queen day? Dunno whether they'd be too big to headline Bohemia, but they'd be a great booking to have.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 pm

McMenemy wrote:I thought Down were pretty average when I saw them at Download.

Pretty much, except for when they played Walk :D
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 am

Does anyone think that Ash might be under The Darkness and Feeder under Andew WK?
FMC Code - 1k949287

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 am

Enter Shikari will be under the Darkness. I can see Skindred being under Andrew WK, but it'd make a lot more sense to have them headlining Bohemia.

LEMON_WOLF

Postby LEMON_WOLF » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 am

PurpleDemon wrote:Enter Shikari will be under the Darkness. I can see Skindred being under Andrew WK, but it'd make a lot more sense to have them headlining Bohemia.

Aren't Shikari playing TITP that day? Can see them 4th main Sunday above Cypress Hill if I'm honest. And Skindred would be above Andrew WK I imagine, they are a lot bigger then you seem to think

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:24 am

Shikari will be at Reading and I can see Skindred being below Cypress Hill on the Sunday.
FMC Code - 1k949287

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:25 am

Shikari may be at Reading but they will definitely be at Sonisphere either way.

Return to “Wishlists and Rumours”