Campervans

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
fatperson

Campervan location

Postby fatperson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi

Is there a definitive answer yet as to where campervans will be parked? If we get shoved right down by the main gate (as rumoured) - after being shafted into paying £50 extra - I will not be Mr. Happy. Last year's location was perfect.

TomCornell

Re: Campervan location

Postby TomCornell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Also, does anyone have any information with regards to early entry and campervans? As we've got early entry tickets and am not entirely sure if the campervan field will be opening on the thursday ....... ??

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Shafted into paying?

Spooner

Postby Spooner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:39 pm

I agree with that man, Tom that is.
Last year i got into the campa field with an early entry ticket. And it was perfect wasnt it.
I get the feeling they will screw us over and shove us at the back. Reading done the same thing. May as well park in the normal camping and stay inthe van.
Please use this FMC code if you get the chance. 1k937748

Zac

Postby Zac » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:48 pm

The campervan field is where the early entry lot were last year. It will be open from Thursday at 3pm if you have an early entry ticket.

You were in a great spot last year but we have a lot more camping this year and we obviously have to put you somewhere where it is easy to manage vehicles and there are a lot more campervans this year which made it even more important. Your extra payment is because you are choosing to bring a vehicle and taking up more space than you would in a tent. You don't get any other bonuses over the other ticket holders I'm afraid.

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:22 am

So we pay extra to be parked as far from the arena as its possible to get? I don't get this 'taking up more room than a tent' rubbish, if it was parked in the car park and I took a tent to camp I'd be taking up more room. Its a campervan not a winnebego.

I remember last year it was right next to a road anyway so easy to manage vehicles?

Spooner

Postby Spooner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am

from what i gather, we will be parked next to the car park.
And even though we had to buy full weekend camping tickets and pay extra for having a van, tey wont let us put up a tent or gazeeboo next to the van. The least you could do is not stick us as far out of the way as you can.

ILLUSIVEEXISTENCE

Postby ILLUSIVEEXISTENCE » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 am

Emailed. Sonsiphere about putting a tent up next to your camper van and they said it was okay as long as it was right against it as there is lack of space this year.
Iron Maiden Sonisphere 2010
Iron Maiden Download 2013

leylarna

Postby leylarna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

I haven't been before but by the sounds of it we are going to be the furthest away from the festival? If thats the case theres going to be some very angry emails sent! After buy an early entry ticket to make sure we got a good spot and then an extra £47.50 to get my van in it seems mightily unfair that we would then be shoved to the back making the whole event massively inconvenient and wasting time walking back and worth when I want to be in having fun which I have paid extra to hopefully assure would be the case.

If I was camping, there is no restriction on how many tents you can take or how big they can be so why should there be for campervans?? and with the parking ticket you could turn up in a bus with no restriction so how am i taking up more space??

Harby

Postby Harby » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 am

fatperson wrote:So we pay extra to be parked as far from the arena as its possible to get? I don't get this 'taking up more room than a tent' rubbish, if it was parked in the car park and I took a tent to camp I'd be taking up more room. Its a campervan not a winnebego.

I remember last year it was right next to a road anyway so easy to manage vehicles?

But it is a campervan not a tent.
Now I'm left defending my honour from cruel sources

Spooner

Postby Spooner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am

Harby wrote:But it is a campervan not a tent.

Yes??

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am

I don't get what your all moaning about.

Yes you will be far away but you will get to walk though the campsite and see all the going ons which was pretty good fun. It's not that much of a walk anyway
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

leylarna

Postby leylarna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm

tbh id rather be in the festival than looking at people in tents.

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 pm

I have a plan. As far as I can tell there is nothing to stop me taking a tent in addition to the campervan which I can pitch it close to the arena.

As most people seem to think I'm whinging for nothing let me explain: We are attending as a family of four and meeting another campervan family on site. We do not just get up, go to the arena, get wasted for 12 hours then crash back at the tent after midnight. We go in and out a few times a day to see the bands we want to see. the lineup is not SO brilliant that we'll be staying there all day.

Also when you have 4 mouths to feed arena catering can add a ££££££ hundreds to the cost of our weekend and we are not allowed to take food and drink into the arena.

Having further to walk just means we'll either spend more money in the arena or miss more of the action.

I don't want sympathy but this festival is our annual holiday, we couldn't afford both so we chose Sonisphere, next year it could be a different choice.

Protozoa

Postby Protozoa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 am

quote="fatperson"]So we pay extra to be parked as far from the arena as its possible to get? I don't get this 'taking up more room than a tent' rubbish, if it was parked in the car park and I took a tent to camp I'd be taking up more room. Its a campervan not a winnebego.

I remember last year it was right next to a road anyway so easy to manage vehicles?[/quote]

Totally with you on this one, my van is smaller than a lot of cars, I've already payed to camp, I could accept paying the same as the car parking fee as I'm taking up about the same space, but cannot see how they justify charging 40 quid (plus fees).Camping ticket + car park and a tent as big as you like = £ 167, Camping + a small campervan = over 200 quid with the (also extortionate) fees! If I hadn't got my ticket cheap from some poor sod who can't go, I definately wouldn't be going, even though I love Rammstein (Bend Down, You Know How!)

red death

Postby red death » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Definitely a very poor location compared to last year. It is difficult to see/justify why campervans are charged so much anyway to be honest - the line about them taking up more space does not really ring true when you see a couple of people in a massive family tent etc.
Trivium 2/2, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes 28/2
Tragedy 23/3, FFDP 30/3
(Devildriver) + Sylosis + Bleed from Within 4/4
Suicide Silence 27/6
Sonisphere 3-6/7
Machinehead 4/8, The Hives 21/8
Rise Against 10/11, Volbeat 17/11
Kreator 18/12

fatperson

Postby fatperson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Campervan field itself was excellent, well managed and well organised but I still begrudge the fact that we were moved so far away. It wasn't just '2 minutes walk' from previous location (as Zac stated)

And how come people were allowed to turn up in a van/car and just pitch a tent?

Welshd1k

Postby Welshd1k » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 pm

can i just say accsess and weather ....

the further you have to drive eg closser to the arena the more damage to the ground (i doubt u can do much more than the yobs did) and the fact if it rains and gettign them campers out of a muddy field etc .

altho them ally rumble strips aint hard to put down or that expensive .
so yeah i think its just lack of thought
OH HAIII FROM WALEZ

Spooner

Postby Spooner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am

I'm pretty sure i drove down a road to get to the Camper field last year. The same way the RR people did.

I was most disapointed with the location. And it will be affecting my festival choice next year.

NINtallica

Postby NINtallica » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Although I cant comment through actual experience I think that the campervan area looked pretty good. I was on a day ticket so walked past at least once a day and though to myself about getting/borrowing one for next year.

As far as I can see its £40 or so more expensive but...
-You almost certainly get more sleep than in a tent
-You stuff shouldnt get stolen
-You can cook, therefore saving a lot on the crazy catering prices on site
-Your own cold beer!

I know it was a bit of a walk but it must have only been 10 minutes from the edge of the arena.

Seems worth it to me.
Upcoming:
Combichrist (Camden), Avenged Sevenfold (Brixton), Disturbed/Papa Roach/Buckcherry/Halestorm (Wembley)

Spooner

Postby Spooner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm

One reason i am disapointed, is that i brought my ticket based on where it was last year. And i would think a lot of others did to.
It took Reading years before they moved theirs.
I will not be buying my ticket next year until i actually know what i am paying for. Unlike the last two years when i got my tickets the minute they came out.

helzangel

Postby helzangel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 am

Spooner wrote:One reason i am disapointed, is that i brought my ticket based on where it was last year. And i would think a lot of others did to.
It took Reading years before they moved theirs.
I will not be buying my ticket next year until i actually know what i am paying for. Unlike the last two years when i got my tickets the minute they came out.

Strange I bought a ticket based on the bands that were playing.

It really wasn't that far to walk (about 5 minutes if you were strolling and chatting to friends, just enough time to finish you can before hitting the arena) the way some of you are talking you'd think the campervan field was in a different county

red death

Postby red death » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:16 pm

helzangel wrote:It really wasn't that far to walk (about 5 minutes if you were strolling and chatting to friends, just enough time to finish you can before hitting the arena) the way some of you are talking you'd think the campervan field was in a different county

You are right - in the grand scheme of things it isn't a massive hardship but then when you are paying £40+ extra for the "privilege" then small things matter.
Trivium 2/2, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes 28/2
Tragedy 23/3, FFDP 30/3
(Devildriver) + Sylosis + Bleed from Within 4/4
Suicide Silence 27/6
Sonisphere 3-6/7
Machinehead 4/8, The Hives 21/8
Rise Against 10/11, Volbeat 17/11
Kreator 18/12

helzangel

Postby helzangel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:04 pm

red death wrote:
helzangel wrote:It really wasn't that far to walk (about 5 minutes if you were strolling and chatting to friends, just enough time to finish you can before hitting the arena) the way some of you are talking you'd think the campervan field was in a different county

You are right - in the grand scheme of things it isn't a massive hardship but then when you are paying £40+ extra for the "privilege" then small things matter.

It's £40 per campervan, not per person, which when you can have a comfy bed, cooker and a fridge full of cold beer I think is well worth it also less than it'd cost for the 2-3 coffees hubby and I each need in the morning before we become human :twisted:

But simple if people don't want to pay a little more they can choose not to bring a campervan and carry all their camping equipment down the hill, stay in a tent and have a 2 minute shorter walk, the £40 isn't for the "privilege" of being close to the arena it's because people have decided they WANT to have a few more comforts and space than a tent

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 pm

i have to agree that you were spoilt in 2009,
it was inevitable that the field you were in would not be used for early entry campers as last year as those that arrived on thursday and paid and extra £5 for the priviledge got " shafted" as you have said ,
someone has to camp there and this year it was the campervans. it may change next year but i doubt it.
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

Return to “2010 Feedback”