Arena

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
BangBang!!

Re: Arena

Postby BangBang!! » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Flags seriously suck. And I did have my view of the stage and also the screens blocked all at the same time. I don't care that you are from Norway or Yorkshire - I do however think you are a moron.
Last edited by BangBang!! on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PapaFan

Postby PapaFan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 pm

WTF was that great monstronsity of scaffolding doing in the middle of the Apolo arena ? This totally blanked out an huge part of the viewable area.Very bad planning here guys. I could see so little of Rammstein,apart from the flames. And Maiden,well that I actually turned tail after 25 mins and went to tent.Bloody Flags,too.I counted at least 16 all in the centre.The screens were also far too low.And were also positioned at the front.Where you cant see,that's why you looking at the screens in the first place. No problems with Saturn stage as the ground forms a natural amphitheatre.This should have been the main stage :clap:

Anthonytats

Postby Anthonytats » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 pm

swindonforever wrote:Flags were at all times blocking portions of the stage, im not bothered if they block the big screens because i dont spend much time looking at them as i pay a fortune to see whats happening on stage not on a tv screen

Hmmmm.

Well i dont know what festival you went too this weekend mate.
Absolutely no flags were problamatic with me.
On the odd occasion one sprung up, i moved about a foot to the side and had perfect vision again.
The flags were about 6 foot above the crowd as well, so unless your 15 foot or were sitting on the ground they would never get in your way..

Also, BAN CHAIRS. Not from at the back but from anywhere near the frakking barriers. Hate the cunts that sit at the front just for the headliner throwing stuff at other bands they dont enjoy.
I had a massive row with a guy in a chair just before madina lake, he was in a space about 2 lines behind the barrier sitting on a chair with 2 chairs around him where his mates had pissed off elsewhere, i tried to move one of them to get a better spot and he started shouting at me, culminated in me chucking both the bloody chairs over the barriers.
GearsCT wrote:You have such a huggable face

fade_to_jack wrote:i love anthony, he is my favourite boardie from sonisphere :bow-yellow:

BangBang!!

Postby BangBang!! » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:46 pm

Anthonytats wrote:
swindonforever wrote:Flags were at all times blocking portions of the stage, im not bothered if they block the big screens because i dont spend much time looking at them as i pay a fortune to see whats happening on stage not on a tv screen

Hmmmm.

Well i dont know what festival you went too this weekend mate.
Absolutely no flags were problamatic with me.
On the odd occasion one sprung up, i moved about a foot to the side and had perfect vision again.
The flags were about 6 foot above the crowd as well, so unless your 15 foot or were sitting on the ground they would never get in your way..

Also, BAN CHAIRS. Not from at the back but from anywhere near the frakking barriers. Hate the cunts that sit at the front just for the headliner throwing stuff at other bands they dont enjoy.
I had a massive row with a guy in a chair just before madina lake, he was in a space about 2 lines behind the barrier sitting on a chair with 2 chairs around him where his mates had pissed off elsewhere, i tried to move one of them to get a better spot and he started shouting at me, culminated in me chucking both the bloody chairs over the barriers.

Personally I was at the same one as you and for me they were a problem. The ground up to the main stage slopes upwards so the flags are always going to be above you so you don't have to be sitting on the ground. But hey, even though I had a problem with them, I didn't throw my toys out of the pram and start chucking people's property around. If it had been me you'd have followed them over the barrier.

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 pm

[Shep] wrote:
cocainehero88 wrote:I love that flags are allowed (I personally cant be arsed to hold one up all day), I think it adds to the atmosphere of the event.

that's your opinion and that's fine, but what exactly do they 'add to the atmosphere'?
I can't be the only one thinking the atmosphere would be better if everyone could see the damn stage??

They add nothing, they have no purpose other than to be annoying and obnoxious.

Anthonytats wrote:Keep the flags. I like them also, I can never see where people come from when they moan that they cant see anything due to flags. All weekend whether i was at front, middle, side or back, flags NEVER got in the way of both screens and the stage at the same time.

Actually, yes, they can and they do. I was on the left hand side during Maiden and there was a big flag right in the middle of the left hand screen right at the front (shit loads on the right hand side though I wasn't over there) and the flags in the middle of the crowd blocked the stage.

The problem is from where some people sit they can't see the stage clearly. I can see the stage from far back but you can't make anything out, so you use the screens to see whats going on. I'd rather the cameramen stuck to what was on stage than whats in the crowd because I don't give a shit who wants to be 'seen' on TV.
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:24 am

Wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed inside the T barrier.

I'd just like to comment and ask views on something I saw during Pendulum. We got there pretty early to secure a spot for Maiden just inside the T with our backs against the inside of the barrier. Shortly after 2 wheelchairs turned up. A little normal one and a big mechanical one which could be raised up so the woman could see.

They set up just outside the Stewards entry gates to the barrier but they made her move more inside to leave clear access in and out because they'd just come out after the X Factor flag was set on fire...

Towards the end of Pendulums set the woman in the big wheelchair started to panic and tried moving backwards just about crushing everyone behind her great machine. She kept shouting they had to move back as they were going to open a big pit. She'd obviously seen them before so knew what was about to happen. The little girl in the small wheel chair could only see the arses of the people in front of her anyway and was oblivious to everything.

There were no 'carers' with either of them. There was a girl with them for a while but she was off her head and fought to get out of the crowd about 2 songs in....

Pit opened, chaos broke out... luckily there were 4 sober guys who jumped in and literally had to use all their force to keep the crowd off the wheelchairs. God only knows what would have happened if one of them had lost their footing, the little girl would have been crushed, the big chair toppled over onto people beside it.

I understand that everyone wants to get in a good spot in order to see the bands but this was just stupid.

owl79

Postby owl79 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 am

i understand what your saying mate in regards to wheelchairs but us disabled lot do want to try and join into, Granted that one wasn't safe for anyone involved...and luckily i don't need to use a wheelchair but as an above amputee i wear a false leg and was quite happy to get upfront and in the mix... not everyone in the front is there to mosh for examples those leaning over the barriers .. if i'd of gone down my false leg could quite possible of broken a few legs, ankles hell even noses does that mean i shouldn't be allowed to try and get as close to the band i've been dying to see for ages.. Hell No!! If soni would give the disabeld a bit of a better platform with decent views us slower lot wouldn't have to get in that deep. This isn't a go just giving a diff view on it... i love mosh pits, i don't go in them but they are brill to watch but it is true not everyone at the front is waiting for the oppertunity of a wall of death opening up ;)

SONI 10',
SONI 11',
INCUBUS NOV 11',
DL 12',
FOB 14'
SONI 14'

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:45 am

I get that but she'd seen them before and knew they'd open up a big pit putting herself, friend and everyone else in danger with absolutely no back up plan. No friends to shield them or help and in a very bad position. If she'd have parked up at the side of the railings then at least she'd have a bit more security to hold onto.

Their position would have been find during Maiden but not a band with a reputation for big pits :?

I love to watch the pits open up too but wouldn't dare get anywhere near them, I tend to cling near barriers - too old to mosh out and ears don't work :lol:

Agree completely the disabled platforms were a shocking distance away for even a decent remote view. You'd need a great big frakking telescope to see anything from there :( Main stage one could have easily been on that rocky ground to the right perfectly fine.

cocainehero88

Postby cocainehero88 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:45 am

Mad_Capsule wrote:
[Shep] wrote:
cocainehero88 wrote:I love that flags are allowed (I personally cant be arsed to hold one up all day), I think it adds to the atmosphere of the event.

that's your opinion and that's fine, but what exactly do they 'add to the atmosphere'?
I can't be the only one thinking the atmosphere would be better if everyone could see the damn stage??

They add nothing, they have no purpose other than to be annoying and obnoxious.

They added to the atmosphere I experienced in the arena, that's all that matters to me, if a flag blocked my view I wasn't really phased, I enjoyed the music with my ears rather than my eyes.
Upcoming Joy:
June 1st - End of BSc Biomedical Science year 2 :D
June 14th - Clutch - Pontypridd now, because Millenium Music Hall are rubbish!!!
June 16th-18th - Beer and Cider Festival - Cardiff
July 7th-10th - Sonisphere 2011

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 am

TBH, I pay to see the bands, not someone's flag. I didn't spend my hard earned dosh to watch a bit of decoration in a crowd.

You like the flag, wear it over your face and see how much you like seeing a band through it. Otherwise, leave it at the tent. My wife, friends and I didn't like having to move around, just because some doofus with coloured material in a stick decided to start flapping it from side to side. Honestly, did your parents ignore you that much as a child that you need to justify your existence with a bloody flag?
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

Jart

Postby Jart » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:21 am

owl79 wrote: If soni would give the disabeld a bit of a better platform with decent views us slower lot wouldn't have to get in that deep. This isn't a go just giving a diff view on it... i love mosh pits, i don't go in them but they are brill to watch but it is true not everyone at the front is waiting for the oppertunity of a wall of death opening up ;)

Totally agree - the platforms were rubbish - you'd be as well staying home and watching the highlights show on late night telly. Stick them round the mixing desk and give folks a chance to see the bands they paid for.

I vote for ban the flags - fecking daft nonsense.

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 am

Dragon Rob wrote:Arena was pretty well set out all in all. Got to agree with banning flags in the Arena, it's great to see them in the campsite, but I come to see the bands, not flags.

The 5 minute turnaround seemed fine to me, got to say I would never take young children to a festival. Not telling anyone how to bring up their kids, but VERY loud music, swearing, beer, smoking, moshing, etc, etc, really the place for small kids? :? If you do take your young kids, then use your head and leave before the end of the set so you have plenty of time and space to get about. Of course some of the kids were rocking harder than the rest of us, Mini Trooper Eddie was awesome! :D We salute you!

Totally agree - but they are the future and we did stay put everytime till it clears but still think a 5 min turn round was too short!!!

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:19 am

RAF Rozzer wrote:TBH, I pay to see the bands, not someone's flag. I didn't spend my hard earned dosh to watch a bit of decoration in a crowd.

You like the flag, wear it over your face and see how much you like seeing a band through it. Otherwise, leave it at the tent. My wife, friends and I didn't like having to move around, just because some doofus with coloured material in a stick decided to start flapping it from side to side. Honestly, did your parents ignore you that much as a child that you need to justify your existence with a bloody flag?

I really wish they didn't focus the camera on the crowds so much. It would stop people so much attention whoring behaviour!
Sexual Style-Rampant

benny

Postby benny » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:03 pm

PapaFan wrote:The screens were also far too low.

This. It is one thing not to be able to see the stage, but when you can't see the screens either, that's just plain bonkers!

(oh, and ban the flippin flags next year, please.)

BLC

Postby BLC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 pm

frakking flags. Why in the frakk are these things not banned from the arena? How on earth does a flag add to the atmosphere? All it does is piss people off behind you. It's all well and good saying that the flag is 15 feet above, but that doesn't stop it blocking the view for somebody further back. At times during Rammstein, all I could see were the pyros. I had a clear view of the stage and screens - no problems there - but still couldn't see anything thanks to bloody flags.

It's nowhere near as bad as somewhere like Glastonbury, but it's still pretty damned annoying. Especially when it can be easily controlled with the arena set up: don't sell flags in the arena and don't let anyone take a flag in. Smiles all round.

EDIT: It does also seem like people using the disabled platforms get a rough deal - that's far too far away to be able to see the stage properly, and the sound goes a bit ropey that far back.

wezman

Postby wezman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

FLAGS NEED BANNING!!
i dont care if people think its cool to have a flag. half the people at the back of the crowd have a very obstructed view of the stage and end up missing half the stuff that happens.
And, the noob flags like the portsmouth and X-factor ones need to banned completely :) haha
Scream, Aim, FEUER FREI!

baz10

Postby baz10 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 am

This was my first time at Sonisphere uk (i have previously been to Soni Poland, Download and Rock Im Park) and i thought it was really good. Awesome line-up and cos of the way the times were on the Saturn and Apollo stages i got to see all the bands i wanted ie Slayer,Maiden,Anthrax,Rammstein,Alice In Chains,Motley Crue etc etc and missed the shite bands i didn't wanna see ie Bring me the horizon,Madina Lake,Placebo and Pendelum etc etc. That really worked out good. The only 2 things i have a problem with is ........The Saturn Stage-its fuckin slanted....ie its on a slope(higher on the right etc and falling left) it kinda really started to piss us off near the end of the 2nd day as you could really start to feel it on your lower back, I would not look forward to this again. Surely there has got to be a better place to situate the stage???The 2nd thing-THE FUCKIN FLAGS-they block your view and the people holding them up don't care-these should not be sold on site and banned from the event. The big blue one in the center of the stage for Maiden was riduclous. But these are just 2 points-as i have said,the rest was awesome and i would return for the right lineup- 8/10 8-)

sk84life

Postby sk84life » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Flags...................

why do people even bring flags or even buy flags at a festival ???? all you do is stand right at the front of the crowd and wave them back and forth distratcing my view !!! i was sooooo pissed off at maiden cause i wanted to stand back and watch the show. What show did i see ?? about 100 frakking flags in my view totally ruined my Iron Maiden experience.

Sonisphere did put up a messgae on the billboards asking people with flags not to be in the middle and move to the side, did they frakk !! totally runied my Iron Maiden set and where generally pissing me off during the whole festival. I had a loverly time at Download with 0 flags being in the arena.

PLZ BAN FLAGS !!! THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM !!!

McMenemy

Postby McMenemy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Ban the flags. They never seemed to be that bad last year, but after experiencing my first fest (Download) where now flags were allowed, I changed my mind this year. Either that, or have an area where you are not allowed to go further than with flags.

Bohemia tent. Well, I would possibly suggest swapping that with the Bohemia bar. I understand it's probably easier for bands and performers to get around, however, when I was listening to Brian Posehn, we had to move around quite a lot because at times BMTH was drowning him out.

On the plus side, I loved where everything else was. Apart from when everyone was leaving the main stage, it didn't feel cramped at all. Loved it.

lock and key

Postby lock and key » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:01 pm

this was my first festival. i can understand that when the crowd packs in there will be times where you will get stuck behind people that are taller than you or you won't can't see alot between all the arms in the air and people throwing themselves about and such. BUT..... i hope that the person near the front of Maiden with the bloody shrimp flag is in serious pain right now :evil:

i'm_a_lightbulb

Postby i'm_a_lightbulb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:23 pm

I seriously don't think the flags should be banned, they make everything look that bit more exciting or something, yeah sometimes they get in your line of view and you have to shift yourself a tad to see around them but without them it's merely a sea of people, the flags add colour and festivity IMO. I was standing at all different places over the course of the weekend and very scarcely were there occasions where I couldn't see the stage itself and what was going on.
Also, I think the cameras should pan over the crowd from time to time, if you don't want to see it, watch the stage not the screen. Agreed that the whole zooming in on the same girls every few minutes to see their tatty bojangles was a bit of a pain but again, watch the stage. During the headliners the crowds weren't shown as much only every now and again when it was appropriate and for the lower acts it's good to have the camera pan over the crowd so you can see all the pits and the crowd behind you in such. Just my opinion though, each to their own.

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm

If you're far back, whether there are flags in the way or not, it's only natural to look at the screen so you can have a better view of whats going on.
Sexual Style-Rampant

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 am

Flags would be fine if people kept them high up so as to not obstruct view, but this wasn't the case quite a few times over the weekend. I have a feeling they may be banned, and if they do get banned, fair play.

The arena overall was good, good distance between each stage, close enough that it wasn't a burden to move, but at enough of a distance so there was no sound interference or lack of space between crowds. I really can't think of any complaints that aren't flag based.

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:00 am

I agree that the arena had a decent space between either stage and that it is a good idea to have one in set up whilst the other is playing. Yeah, it means less bands if you have one after another like other festivals, but you wouldn't get such stage shows such as Rammstein or Maiden, as the crew simply wouldn't have the time for getting the whole thing together.

The only issue was the 5 minute gap. It means you have a few folk pushing past you to get to the front for the next act on the opposing stage and you never have any time to grab a beer/pee/food without missing the next act. I know it's been mentioned before, but I would advocate a bigger time gap between bands. Okay it may mean that one band is dropped as a sacrifice, but given the fact that the forums ask for other ideas, such as better sound systems and/or additional screens, the offset costs for one or two acts missed means a better experience in the long run.
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

I'd like to keep the gap to 5 mins personally, to avoid losing bands, but additional screens would be a plus :)
Sexual Style-Rampant

Return to “2010 Feedback”