Food and Drink

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
RAF Rozzer

Re: Food and Drink

Postby RAF Rozzer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 am

Have to say that the baked potato van was aces.

A huge amount of tasty grub for the money. Went there more than once.

The 24 hour 'breakfast' bar didn't do breakfasts for the full time advertised, but their portions were substantial for the cost.

Going to a festival, you expect to incur extra costs, but some of the costs were excessive. On principle, I never once bought a bottle of water. £2.50? Hell will freeze over first before I cough up that amount.

As for the beer prices; good way to ensure no one gets too pissed during the bands.
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 pm

I thought the food was pretty reasonable. It was expensive, but that's only to be expected at festivals.

I was impressed by: The all day breakfast/Chinese place in the campsite, the Crepe stall, the Milkshake stall and the Thai place.

I'd like to see the following next year though: A Caribbean Stall (for patties, filled dumplings, goat curry, Jerk Chicken, ackee & saltfish, Rice and Peas etc.), some Indian stalls (I couldn't find any, if there were any there were too few of them) and Bloodstock favourites DeliKate.

In terms of drinks, I was glad they had Hobgoblin, but I would have liked to have seen a wider range of Wychwood beers on offer, maybe even some other breweries too. Perhaps the festival could get Camra involved and have a mini-beer festival on site. I would suggest a Tiki Bar for next year, but that's probably a tad far fetched.

swindonforever

Postby swindonforever » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Korikon wrote:Personally, I reckon a fiver should be the limit for any food you buy in there. £6 is the kind of price you could pay in a restaurant and get much bigger portions, and probably better quality. I would say £5 max per portion of anything...

Or maybe I'm just cheap but, I did have to resort to the chips and wedges just because I couldn't afford something else :/

Same boat really with what food i was buying. I dont like the attitude of oh its ok to charge loads cos thats what happens at festivals

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

MetalBeast wrote:I thought the food was pretty reasonable. It was expensive, but that's only to be expected at festivals.

I was impressed by: The all day breakfast/Chinese place in the campsite, the Crepe stall, the Milkshake stall and the Thai place.

I'd like to see the following next year though: A Caribbean Stall (for patties, filled dumplings, goat curry, Jerk Chicken, ackee & saltfish, Rice and Peas etc.), some Indian stalls (I couldn't find any, if there were any there were too few of them) and Bloodstock favourites DeliKate.

In terms of drinks, I was glad they had Hobgoblin, but I would have liked to have seen a wider range of Wychwood beers on offer, maybe even some other breweries too. Perhaps the festival could get Camra involved and have a mini-beer festival on site. I would suggest a Tiki Bar for next year, but that's probably a tad far fetched.

Man can you imagine how expensive curries would be!?! I forgot about the crepe stall :( was going to try it and never got round to it.
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

EvadBlack

Postby EvadBlack » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Best food was probably the potato wedges with blue cheese sauce, though the Chicken Pad Thai I had while wiating for Maiden was also decent. The Philli Melt from the Grill Place on the right hand side of the Saturn shops was also pretty nice. Pizza Express' meal deal of a bottle of drink, doughballs and a pizza for £10 seemed ridiculously good value for festival food.

Only food I had all weekend which disappointed me was the gourmet burger, and I never used the bars - the non-existant checks through from guest camping meant I just got drink from the campsite.

Festivals: 2003: Leeds -- 2004: Leeds -- 2005: Leeds -- 2006: Leeds -- 2007: Glastonbury, Latitude, Garden Nef Party, Pukkelpop, Reading -- 2008: Reading -- 2009: Sonisphere, Reading -- 2010: Glastonbury, Truck, Sonisphere, Reading

Piestar

Postby Piestar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 pm

I remember me and adam coming home from reading 2 years ago and being extremely happy to pay £1.40 for a bottle of coke at a train station

it was the same this year- we got to the train station and it was like OMG!!! A BAG OF CRIPS FOR 80p??!!

BARGAIN!!!!

Darksatanica

Postby Darksatanica » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Prices as always a little higher than I liked but what I did get kept me going easily. Cajun chicken burrito from the mexican in the middle of the arena, steak sandwich from the gourmet grill, and a jacket potato from somewhere near the jaeger stager. Bought my own water so I wouldnt have to pay crazy amounts to drink (rarely drink alcohol during a hot day so alcohol prices didnt affect me, though the one time I considered it the price of a pint changed my mind), and never had to wait around to get refills from the water points. Gourmet Toasties were overpriced but REALLY good :D

Bring back the milkshake van next year, they're amazing :D Didnt spot any smoothy vans sadly.

BlackGarden

Postby BlackGarden » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Loved the noodle bar in the arena. £4.50 for the "plain" noodles with sauce (actually had a few veggies mixed in) and there was looooads of them. One box was lunch and dinner for me after a cooked breakfast.

metaltony

Postby metaltony » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 pm

I thought the food was ok,had a steak and ale pie(cant remember the same of the stall) which was lovely!there did seem a lot of noodles on the floor? :? i am a beer drinker,i better choice would have been better,i love hobgoblin but it was very flat..
Last edited by metaltony on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vampenguin

Postby Vampenguin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 pm

i had a cheeseburger which was nice
i had chips from various places which were decent size portions and pretty nice
and fish and chips for 7 pounds :L as lovely as it was the chips from that place were 2.50 so your paying 4.50 just for a fish
i thought it was pretty bad water was the same as other drinks consdiering if you go to a shop it is considerably cheaper then something like coke
water could of been cheaper and things in general been made cheaper would help but at least i didn't pay lots of money for food that sucked it was all good that i had
SIG SIG SIG, the number of the beast

I really didn't know what else to put here so
have a nice day :]

landcal02

Postby landcal02 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Sonisphere was absolutely fantastic! I have no complaints really, except for the amount of smoking in the crowds (maybe have a non-smoking section marked off in the crowd somehow??) and the lack of veggie options. Maybe invite a couple more veggie food stalls? Other than that, this was an amazing well-organised festival, kudos to the planning team.

Morrelis

Postby Morrelis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Pizza Express stand was a pleasant surprise! Loved Batterseas Pie N Mash stand too, bloody lovely.
Twitter - @thatwouldbealex

PilotCTR

Postby PilotCTR » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm

I think all food/drink was still over priced. The milkshakes although very nice were way over priced. My favourite food had to be the Green Curry from Katie's Thai Kitchen. This was at Download too so went looking for it at Soni and was so glad I found it.
I'd rather be flying....
Pilot CTR..
(Neil)

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:22 pm

landcal02 wrote:Sonisphere was absolutely fantastic! I have no complaints really, except for the amount of smoking in the crowds (maybe have a non-smoking section marked off in the crowd somehow??) and the lack of veggie options. Maybe invite a couple more veggie food stalls? Other than that, this was an amazing well-organised festival, kudos to the planning team.

A no smoking section really isn't feasible I don't think - at least it's open air and not enclosed. What I would say is that people need to stop/be much more careful lighting fags in the middle of the pits. One guy singed my hair and someone else burnt me on the arm. Not cool.

On the food side again though, I did try one of the burgers and found the meat was surprisingly decent. So not too bad for £4.

Mad_Capsule

Postby Mad_Capsule » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Korikon wrote:
landcal02 wrote:Sonisphere was absolutely fantastic! I have no complaints really, except for the amount of smoking in the crowds (maybe have a non-smoking section marked off in the crowd somehow??) and the lack of veggie options. Maybe invite a couple more veggie food stalls? Other than that, this was an amazing well-organised festival, kudos to the planning team.

A no smoking section really isn't feasible I don't think - at least it's open air and not enclosed. What I would say is that people need to stop/be much more careful lighting fags in the middle of the pits. One guy singed my hair and someone else burnt me on the arm. Not cool.

On the food side again though, I did try one of the burgers and found the meat was surprisingly decent. So not too bad for £4.

Yeah, but asking smokers that already think it's ok to light up in a pit to maybe consider other people's hair and burns isn't going to work, they're not exactly the least selfish people in the world :lol:
Come inside and be afraid...
Sexual Style-Rampant

sharkipants

Postby sharkipants » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:14 am

I didn't have to many complaints about the food, in fact i think just about every stall i went to quoted between £6-£7.

I would suggest as a previous poster did to talk to the staff running the stalls, I frequented the giant yorkshire store and everytime they were friendly, and actually got to the point of getting bigger and fresher portions, however my biggest thankyou has to be to the three guys and one women who were running the Chicken van just down from the pie store in the many arena. Admittedly it was after maiden had finished, but they gave us 12 peices of chicken and 2 peices of fish, free of charge. It was an amazing gift to four blokes who really had had to much to drink and probably gone to bed, however acts of generosity like this are fantastic, and i for one will be keeping and eye out for them at bloodstock to repay a tiny bit of kindness
It's only illegal if you get caught

bigbro64

Postby bigbro64 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:56 am

Good call on the Hobgoblin in Bohemia. More beer with taste next year please! :text-givemebeer:

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 pm

I was pleasantly surprised at the range of food available at Sonisphere, especially for vegetarians. I'm a big fan of potato wedges but I'd have been even more happy if there was barbecue dip with them. I'd also prefer the felafal to be put inside the pitta bread with the salad and homous rather than wrap the pitta bread around some salad, slap some homous on top then balance the felafel on making it look like some retarded ice cream.

Oh, and can you not ask the Chinese foot stalls back next year please? The Chinese food was the most discarded at the festival with noodles and whatever else they have in their dishes (dog mabye?) and I would rather not be standing in a plate of noodles while I'm watching Slayer.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I think the Chinese was the most discarded because they did the best portions. Don't tell them to do less big portions.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:49 pm

King_Walnut wrote:I think the Chinese was the most discarded because they did the best portions. Don't tell them to do less big portions.

QFT.

The noodles seem to have got most of the praise in this thread so far, alongside the milkshakes, so they must have been doing something right! (like the portion sizes..)

Disgruntled Jim

Postby Disgruntled Jim » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:53 pm

I didn't eat a whole lot this year,which was a mistake.But of the food I did have:

The Chinese - The portions were a little lacking but the food itself was great.
Gormet Burger - Probably the best festival food you could ask for really,it kept me going for most of the Sunday and the prices were good.
The Donuts - I couldn't say no to 6 of them for £4 at all :lol:

So yeah,very impressed with the food this year. :)

Korikon

Postby Korikon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 pm

I would say a definite improvement on last year, from what I can remember!

Alien8n

Postby Alien8n » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 pm

BlackGarden wrote:Loved the noodle bar in the arena. £4.50 for the "plain" noodles with sauce (actually had a few veggies mixed in) and there was looooads of them. One box was lunch and dinner for me after a cooked breakfast.

I know what you mean, 1 box fed me, my daughter and a mate of mine. The foot longs were pretty good too, considering you could normally expect to pay 2 to 3 quid for something half the size.

HearMeNow

Postby HearMeNow » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Hobgoblin +100000
Food - plenty of variety, usual prices

Who will till the soil of these barren black remains?

Oneballpete

Postby Oneballpete » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 pm

I thought booze, particularly the draught stuff was excellently priced for a festival with the exception of the slab stall in the campsite. I expect to pay more at a festival but only £0.70p more for a pint of Carlsberg and £0.60p for Hobgoblin than i would pay in my local (yep £3.00 a pint here in Dorset) is good going in my mind. The spirits though WERE a little expensive especially when combined with mixers, that could do with looking at.

Food wise i agree the noodle bar was great but please people, clear up after yourselves. It's not like there weren't a load of wheelie bins about.
I also found the Chicken Wrap place on the right hand side of the stalls in the middle in front of Apollo was great value. I loved the Jerk Chicken wrap which was bursting with meat and at £6 a go, not too shabby.

Other than than i did a bacon butty in my tent in the morning and grabbed a tray of chips as and when.
A little south of sanity... otherwise known as Dorset

Return to “2010 Feedback”