Stages and Tents

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
Gag

Re: Stages and Tents

Postby Gag » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:21 pm

It is very hard to get a decent view of the main stage unless you are at the front. It is still on the crest of a hill. I watched Maiden from level with the sound tower and you could see the stage....had to rely on screens. Stages should always be viewed from above ...i.e - downhill

I can't beleive nobody has commented on this yet. It is a real show stopper for me next year.

Sound very good.
Times between bands is a joke. You have to leave the last two songs of the band you're watching in order to get a dirnk & pee and go to the other stage to catch that band coming on.

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 pm

It's a shame the two main stages can't be swapped as the slope running up from Saturn stage would make it better as the main viewing area.

The sound from Saturn was great - if you were up close. Otherwise it was pretty poor further away. How about sticking some speakers on the sound tower, as was done on the Apollo stage? Would mean those who were farther back, such as those on the disabled viewing platforms, could hear the bands much better.

Would also like to see screens on the backs of the sound towers. It would also mean that there was a chance to see what was going on from the back of the crowds without those really popular flag wavers being able to block the view. :lol:

Bohemia tent was very underrated size-wise. We would've loved to see Therapy? but the crowds were manic. I can't imagine how mad it must've been for Corey Taylor's set. If there were screens/a PA outside, it might've helped. If the stage was positioned where the bar was, the side panels of the tent could've been removed for the acts after the Apollo stage was finished, thus giving everyone stuck outside a better chance of viewing the acts inside. Like a big musical gazebo. And the bar could be located next to the tent, rather than in it, giving everyone a chance to use it, rather than having to fight their way into a tent to get a brew. Lets face it, who's going to argue about having more places to spend their beer chits?
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

BLC

Postby BLC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Bohemia is way too small. Had to stand outside for a few acts I really wanted to see, and couldn't get a decent view of the stage. Nothing's really improved from last year, in that regard.

Agree with the main stages needing to be swapped round. It seems like wherever you stood to watch the Saturn stage, you always got a good view - even with very tall people stood in front of you. Apollo stage however, not quite the same story; you have to be quite near the front to get a good view. I don't seem to remember having that much trouble seeing the stage last year. I'm pretty tall (6ft 3), but I had a job to see over much of the crowd.

fadetojack

Postby fadetojack » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:32 pm

please bring bowtime bar back, that is the best invention ever, and alo redbull was quality a a tent, tbf jager was great too :D
isit too much to ask for Staind, Rise Against and SLAAAAAAAYYERRRRRR?
Thank you for the chance to create a grand mess in Knebworth one more time, 09'10'11'14

royston

Postby royston » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:43 am

i cant really comment much on the red bull or stronbow tents, as i didnt see many bands there. however the bohemien stage was very nice, brilliant sound looked fantastic!. for me i found that the quality of the sound on the secound stage was very poor as there was many technical problems with several bands. the sound even cut out a few times which allways happens but you wouldnt expect it from an event like this. also i dont see why there was no trench dug for all of the wires going from the center tower to the stage, people was tripping over the multicore cables as they were in the way at the front of the crowd i found this a pain. the main stage sound was very nice although i have to crtisise the loudness of the bass after pendulum it was way too loud!!!

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Can we have one of those great big plastic mats that Download has (or used to have) at the main stages please? The cut grass was getting everywhere and if it had rained heavily during the day we'd have all been up to our knees in mud.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Harby wrote:I genuinely thought the Strongbow sound was brilliant for the bands I saw.

The clarity in And So I Watch You From Afar and InMe's sets made them that much better for me!

Yep, ASIWYFA had GREATsound, as did Rinoa.. in fact all the bands I saw in there sounded fantastic. The Bowtime Bar was just the greatest festival venue I can recall.. it didn't feel like a temporary thing, with the balcony, the outdoor viewing spot plus the setees and bean bags were a great touch- I used it as my chill out spot- get a pint of FREE ice cold water from the bar and grab a seat for a few minutes...niiice!!!

Really hope Bowtime is back next year

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Can we have one of those great big plastic mats that Download has (or used to have) at the main stages please? The cut grass was getting everywhere and if it had rained heavily during the day we'd have all been up to our knees in mud.

I'm sure there was one down on Apollo last year

Postby 1878 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 pm

The Bohemia situation was unforseen judging by Sonisphere organisers comments prior to the event. I'm sure I saw a suggestion for a larger Bohemia tent which was answered something along the lines of it wouldn't be fair on the smaller/less popular bands playing to a larger emptier tent. This year's Bohemia over-crowding could have been remedied by opening up the tent sides in between the doorways so that people standing outside could see. The metal fences could have been left in place to replace the tent sides as a barrier between the entrances. If the overspill area was located at the rear of the tent to enable people outside to get a decent view, the only snag would be the mixing desk would have to be off centre to the stage. But having said all that, a larger tent is needed if Bohemia proves to be as popular next year.

Jaegermeister stage was brilliant as you could crash out on the grass and watch the bands.

Stongbow tent was my favourite as you had the choice as to wether you wanted to get up close to the stage or stand upstairs. That and Chickenhawk and Kvelertak played there.

Red Bull tent was a mini Bohemia but a lot less crowded due to the popularity of the bands.

Saturn stage suffered massively by not having another set of speakers further out like Apollo as the wind was taking the sound away when you stood not too far out. This created a lip-sync problem in that you looked at the stage/screens and heard the sound a second later.

Apollo, I couldn't find any fault with personally.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Gag wrote:It is very hard to get a decent view of the main stage unless you are at the front. It is still on the crest of a hill. I watched Maiden from level with the sound tower and you could see the stage....had to rely on screens. Stages should always be viewed from above ...i.e - downhill

I can't beleive nobody has commented on this yet. It is a real show stopper for me next year.

Sound very good.
Times between bands is a joke. You have to leave the last two songs of the band you're watching in order to get a dirnk & pee and go to the other stage to catch that band coming on.

The viewing on the main stage was better this year but it's still not ideal for the reasons you've mentioned - On the site as it is, and if they are going to persist with the alternating stages, I don't know how they could make it any better other than switching the two stages around. To be honest though, it was easy enough to get close to get good sound and vision - For Maiden, I stood in line with the outer left stack about 10 yards from the front and there was decent elbow room - souhnd was stellar there and although you were looking at a fairly acute angle, the view was ok, especially with the big screen so close. A couple of people have mentioned that the screens were too low... I don't think they were- any higher and you'd be getting neck ache pretty quickly!!

The timings are just something you have to live with on this one on/one off arrangement.. put longer gaps in and you reduce the amount of playing time and over the course of the day that would mean one, possibly even two bands less. Personally, I'd prefer there to be a main stage and a second stage that aren't syncronised like that - ok, I can see the advantage of being able to see everyone on the two main stages with barely any gaps, but it does mean you get far less bands than you would if both stages ran seperately (i.e. like they do at Download).

ParanoidJD

Postby ParanoidJD » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 am

Thought the Apollo was excellent, although with the slope you had to be quite close to get a good view - can't be helped, I know.

As for Saturn, folks've already pointed out the sound issues and that was my main grip with it. In the swirling winds, if you were stood at the sides, lots of stuff went 'missing'. I stood out there and watched Fear Factory and throught there must be a problem with the rig as so much was going walkabout. Get in the right spot though and it sounded sweet!
"At midnight all the agents, and superhuman crew,
Go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do"

Stufin135

Postby Stufin135 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 pm

I still personally think it would be a much better idea to have music from the other stage playing on the Apollo and Saturn stages. Sometimes you want to get right to the front of a stage for a certain band, but to do this you have to miss the band from the other stage. Why don't you turn on the screens and sound showing the feed from the other stage? This way you can still wait for your band you desperately need to be at the front off but can still see others. I know my bro had to skip Iggy to get to the front of Maiden, this would have solved that.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Stufin135 wrote:I still personally think it would be a much better idea to have music from the other stage playing on the Apollo and Saturn stages. Sometimes you want to get right to the front of a stage for a certain band, but to do this you have to miss the band from the other stage. Why don't you turn on the screens and sound showing the feed from the other stage? This way you can still wait for your band you desperately need to be at the front off but can still see others. I know my bro had to skip Iggy to get to the front of Maiden, this would have solved that.

That's the exact reason they DON'T want to do this. Otherwise you'd have more people just waiting by one stage all day. Which isn't what a festival is all about, it also means that if I wanted to get to the front for a favourite of mines, like Skindred, I probably wouldn't due to all the Maiden fans camped there all day - I know a lot of people still do this, but the numbers would vastly increase if the had feeds on the screens.

lemming3k

Postby lemming3k » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Strongbow was pretty good. Main two were good generally but Saturn sound volume seemed a bit inconsistant at times.
Bohemia didn't seem so good this year. Had great views all last year but this year the pillars and the stage seemed to be set up in such a way that huge swathes of the tent couldn't see properly when it was busy, particularly in front of the entrance that most people were using(on the right as you look at the stage) - so you ended up with a crowd that wouldn't move because they wouldn't have been able to see, and people who couldn't get in as the entrance was blocked, even though it wasn't anywhere near full.
I can still see the bouncy tatty bojangles, but please don't cure me.

Gag

Postby Gag » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Can we have one of those great big plastic mats that Download has (or used to have) at the main stages please? The cut grass was getting everywhere and if it had rained heavily during the day we'd have all been up to our knees in mud.

I was up to my knees in mud at download :lol:

Stufin135

Postby Stufin135 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 pm

kipper64 wrote:
Stufin135 wrote:I still personally think it would be a much better idea to have music from the other stage playing on the Apollo and Saturn stages. Sometimes you want to get right to the front of a stage for a certain band, but to do this you have to miss the band from the other stage. Why don't you turn on the screens and sound showing the feed from the other stage? This way you can still wait for your band you desperately need to be at the front off but can still see others. I know my bro had to skip Iggy to get to the front of Maiden, this would have solved that.

That's the exact reason they DON'T want to do this. Otherwise you'd have more people just waiting by one stage all day. Which isn't what a festival is all about, it also means that if I wanted to get to the front for a favourite of mines, like Skindred, I probably wouldn't due to all the Maiden fans camped there all day - I know a lot of people still do this, but the numbers would vastly increase if the had feeds on the screens.

Never thought of that.

Also though I wouldn't mind there being more screens? Maybe an extra one on the back of each of the Sound Towers?

ever

Postby ever » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 pm

[quote="Gag"]It is very hard to get a decent view of the main stage unless you are at the front. It is still on the crest of a hill. I watched Maiden from level with the sound tower and you could see the stage....had to rely on screens. Stages should always be viewed from above ...i.e - downhill

Comments were made about the location of the stages, especially the main stage, saying they should be at the bottom of a slope/downhill. The same feedback was left after 2009 and after the (pre-Soni) 2010 focus group meeting. I agree with you and deadwing that this needs to be looked at, but I guess it's a problem for the Soni team as well, since in spite of the feedback they persist with putting them up hill!

Maybe next year we'll have better luck :)

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I think Saturn is worse for that. There's a downwards slope to the left and I was watching Turisas from there - quite inconvienient.

Alien8n

Postby Alien8n » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Agree with nearly every comment:

Swap the main stages, downhill view would suit the bigger bands more, otherwise the latecomers won't be able to see anything at all.

Screens on the backs of the sound stages. Get stuck at the back of the sound stage and you can kiss goodbye to seeing anything of the band.

Not so much of a problem with the Saturn stage this year, but wear the Apollo stage was the screens do need to be higher, found it very difficult to see the screens and stage due to the layout, was constantly having to move to see around people.

If you're going to have 5 minutes between bands then have at least a 10 minute gap between every other band. And more toilets between the stages, no way everyone can get in and out of those toilets in between bands.

Bigger Bohemia tent needed, or at least some way of making it bigger for the more popular acts. Missed Tim Minchin because it was packed.

ever

Postby ever » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Alien8n wrote:Agree with nearly every comment:

Screens on the backs of the sound stages. Get stuck at the back of the sound stage and you can kiss goodbye to seeing anything of the band.

Bigger Bohemia tent needed, or at least some way of making it bigger for the more popular acts. Missed Tim Minchin because it was packed.

Well said! And a screen outside Bohemia maybe? How much can the f*ckn things cost, surely they make enough profit each year to afford bigger, better screens and more of them?! Although in reality I would much rather be able to see the bands onstage :)

OneZeroOneUK

Postby OneZeroOneUK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:22 pm

ever wrote:Well said! And a screen outside Bohemia maybe? How much can the f*ckn things cost, surely they make enough profit each year to afford bigger, better screens and more of them?! Although in reality I would much rather be able to see the bands onstage :)

Methinks you would be very, very surprised at how much them f*ckn things cost. We were blessed to have two for saturn (upgraded from one) this year.

ScreamingInCircles

Postby ScreamingInCircles » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:27 pm

I thought the sound quality was lacking on the Jager Stage.

Malefice's sound was terrible, from about 3 rows back where i was.
Although the band were awesome!

duncang

Postby duncang » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:41 pm

ScreamingInCircles wrote:I thought the sound quality was lacking on the Jager Stage.

On the contrary, I found it to be the best stage for sound! Didn't see Malefice, but they haven't had good sound anywhere I've seen them before.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

OneZeroOneUK wrote:
ever wrote:Well said! And a screen outside Bohemia maybe? How much can the f*ckn things cost, surely they make enough profit each year to afford bigger, better screens and more of them?! Although in reality I would much rather be able to see the bands onstage :)

Methinks you would be very, very surprised at how much them f*ckn things cost. We were blessed to have two for saturn (upgraded from one) this year.

Not only the cost of the screen, but the cost of a camera crew to make sure there is something to go on it. The size of the tent was pretty much perfect for most bands on in there, only the major bands filled it to capacity.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:56 pm

duncang wrote:
ScreamingInCircles wrote:I thought the sound quality was lacking on the Jager Stage.

On the contrary, I found it to be the best stage for sound! Didn't see Malefice, but they haven't had good sound anywhere I've seen them before.

It was ok but it always seemed to be straining at the very edge of it's capacity- the worst part of the sound on Jager was that bloody ride ride next to it. Saw some damn fine acts on Jager- Tom Hollister Trio were amazing, so were Audrey Horne.

Return to “2010 Feedback”