Stages and Tents

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
Alien8n

Re: Stages and Tents

Postby Alien8n » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Caught some festival highlights from other festivals and something I've noticed is the size of the screens for Soni were the smallest of all the festivals. That's not actually too much of an issue, but the larger screens that the other festivals were using did have the effect of making the screens easier to see due to the greater height.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Didn't look any smaller than Downloads to me

Alien8n

Postby Alien8n » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:14 pm

deadwing wrote:Didn't look any smaller than Downloads to me

It's possible they just didn't have any from Download on. Pretty sure most of the festivals being shown were Reading/Leeds or the big gigs in London such as Hyde Park.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm

just caight up on this thread, coupleof things

1) there is nothing TS can do about the geography of the site without landfill, the changing of the main stages was discussed last year ,the problem would be getting the area big enough for 60,000 in front of saturn ,it just cant be done , the best solution was to move apollo back ,the screen issue can be resolved for next year . the mats/plastic flooring was removed after complaints it got dangerously slippy in the rain so judgement call on TS's part me thinks, seemed fine this year

2) bohemia, again a larger tent was discussed last year and for the reason given that the smaller bands would be playing to anempty space , also the taking off the sides of the tent was discussed ,cant be done for H&S and also the license for live music , i would think after the ammount of lock outs this year then they will consider a bigger tent next year. a screen outside was also discussed,cost , maybe if and when it sells out for the whole weekend thay may do this .

3) other stages , strongbow , was in the perfect place , redbull and jager seemed a bit out of the action,no "passing trade " as such , cant see why one of them couldnt be moved to where the bohemia bar was or where one of the market places was .

all these points will no doubt feature on the focus group agenda
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

rentawitch

Postby rentawitch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:17 am

Hi John.. Focus group? what's that about?

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:08 am

Alien8n wrote:
deadwing wrote:Didn't look any smaller than Downloads to me

It's possible they just didn't have any from Download on. Pretty sure most of the festivals being shown were Reading/Leeds or the big gigs in London such as Hyde Park.

No, I ment the screens at Sonisphere didn't look any smaller than the screens at Download

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 am

billytheweed wrote:just caight up on this thread, coupleof things

1) there is nothing TS can do about the geography of the site without landfill, the changing of the main stages was discussed last year ,the problem would be getting the area big enough for 60,000 in front of saturn ,it just cant be done , the best solution was to move apollo back ,the screen issue can be resolved for next year . the mats/plastic flooring was removed after complaints it got dangerously slippy in the rain so judgement call on TS's part me thinks, seemed fine this year

There would be PLENTY of room at the bottom of the hill if they moved things around. If the stage went arcoss from where the Bohemia Bar was out to where the Bowtime bar was you would create a fantastic natural bowl shaped main stage area with a really wide viewing area. OK, that would me an re-routing a fair bit of stuff, not to mention the main entrance, but it would give a much better main stage experience for everyone, rather than the lucky ones who can get over the crest of the hill- and if the festival is going to grow in size like yyou would expect it to, then it does become something of an even bigger problem

3)other stages , strongbow , was in the perfect place , redbull and jager seemed a bit out of the action,no "passing trade " as such , cant see why one of them couldnt be moved to where the bohemia bar was or where one of the market places was .

Thought Jager was in a decent spot, if only they'd have moved the noisy fairground ride from right next to it. It was only a 30 second walk from Bowtime, wihich was good as the stage times for the two were staggered to match each other. Red Bull was a bit out on a limb though - swapping that with the Bohemia bar might be a good idea

trauts78

Postby trauts78 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 am

Apollo Stage - excellent and great sound (not affected by the wind)

Saturn Stage - sound was poor, maybe the wind had something to do with this

Jager - Funny position, was at a slight angle which meant limited space in front, but small crowds when I went so not much of an issue. Sometimes affected by the sound from the fair ground rides, can we get rid of the fair ground

StrongBow - Excellent bar/stage area hopefully see something similar next year

Bohemia - Much better than last year, and having the bar at the far end meant there was always space by the bar

Red Bull - Nice little stage, but was out of it slightly and obscured so maybe was missed by some

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:48 pm

trauts78 wrote:Apollo Stage - excellent and great sound (not affected by the wind)

Saturn Stage - sound was poor, maybe the wind had something to do with this

Apollo was affected in the same way as Saturn- I was a good way back for Skindred and Placebo ( level with the sound desk) and it was phasing all over the place on both. Saturn stage sound was good, but you needed to be really close

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 pm

deadwing wrote:
billytheweed wrote:just caight up on this thread, coupleof things

There would be PLENTY of room at the bottom of the hill if they moved things around. If the stage went arcoss from where the Bohemia Bar was out to where the Bowtime bar was you would create a fantastic natural bowl shaped main stage area with a really wide viewing area. OK, that would me an re-routing a fair bit of stuff, not to mention the main entrance, but it would give a much better main stage experience for everyone, rather than the lucky ones who can get over the crest of the hill- and if the festival is going to grow in size like yyou would expect it to, then it does become something of an even bigger problem

i understand what you are saying and the position you are talking about is where the stage goes for one off gigs ( robbie williams oasis queeen etc) ,
this is a 3 day festival and has to have near equal viewing space for both stages , this year for saturn was far better than last year ,
the problem with the main stage at the bottom of the hill is where do you put the second stage ??
the reason it works so well is because they are opposite , unless they can flatten the site this i think is the best we are going to get , again stage position was discussed last year and will no doubt be again this yeari know they have looked at all posibilities but they are open minded enough and will look to improve the layout where they can , hence this and the other feedback threads.

as for redbull and jager , i am not the only one who thought they were a bit out of the way , others i have spoken to thought they were in a poor posistion , you have to bear in mind they are two of the major sponsors so would expect to be in the middle of the action not at the "quiet" end of the site .
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

ever

Postby ever » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 pm

deadwing wrote:
OneZeroOneUK wrote:
ever wrote:Well said! And a screen outside Bohemia maybe? How much can the f*ckn things cost, surely they make enough profit each year to afford bigger, better screens and more of them?! Although in reality I would much rather be able to see the bands onstage :)

Methinks you would be very, very surprised at how much them f*ckn things cost. We were blessed to have two for saturn (upgraded from one) this year.

Not only the cost of the screen, but the cost of a camera crew to make sure there is something to go on it. The size of the tent was pretty much perfect for most bands on in there, only the major bands filled it to capacity.

Aye, definitely better with two screens :)

Like I said, I have no idea how much screens cost, but I think that there should have been a couple more (sound-desk and maybe outside Bohemia - tent size is fine), and the ones by the main stage should have been located higher and be larger too. I am not saying it would put me off going to Sonisphere, but as this is the Feedback thread, and as a paying customer, I obviously want to be able to see the bands when the tents or arena are full. Considering they had a turnover of millions this year I also think I and others are right to ask for the best experience.

gaffers93

Postby gaffers93 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:23 pm

I love the layout, it's much better than Download..they have a point about the screens like

fadetojack

Postby fadetojack » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 pm

keeep everything exactly where it was, twas quality!
isit too much to ask for Staind, Rise Against and SLAAAAAAAYYERRRRRR?
Thank you for the chance to create a grand mess in Knebworth one more time, 09'10'11'14

reelbigmartin

Postby reelbigmartin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:24 pm

i dont know if im in the wrong thread but noone seems to be talking about alternating bands on the saturn and apollo stages, so there were no clashes on the 2 main stages. absolute genius!!!!!! dont know if this was the 2nd year it was done, but i loved it and made my festival tbh. when i found out, was the only reason i bought my ticket. Even if it was only for a day (sunday) still 10x better than download :)

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm

reelbigmartin wrote:i dont know if im in the wrong thread but noone seems to be talking about alternating bands on the saturn and apollo stages, so there were no clashes on the 2 main stages. absolute genius!!!!!! dont know if this was the 2nd year it was done, but i loved it and made my festival tbh. when i found out, was the only reason i bought my ticket. Even if it was only for a day (sunday) still 10x better than download :)

it was done in 2009 and is one if not the main selling points of the festival , other than the bands obviously, :D

it will continue for as long as the festival runs i imagine . also the smaller stages will have bands of a different genre / appeal than the band on the mainstage , that way there is an alternative for you if you dont like the mainstage band :D
ImageImage
FMC code1k910248

Return to “2010 Feedback”