Parking and Travel

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
metallica_girl

Re: Parking and Travel

Postby metallica_girl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Said it last year, saying it again this year. Can we please have a proper parking place for bikes? Hardstanding of some kind would be excellent for starters, but the main problem is nobody seemed to know where bikes were parking. Last time we were told to park sort of up against the fence in the car park, this year nobody knew where we were meant to park. Someone told us to park by the side of the box office - security instantly told us to move it and go back to the car park - they sent us back up there - in the end we just said frakk it and put it in the car park closest to the gate.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

Psymonkee

Postby Psymonkee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:32 am

coming from A1(M) side:

No problems to report, parking pass gave clear enough instructions and a quick nosey at googlemaps (and even an old fashioned road map) made it very obvious where to go :)

Signage to VIP was a bit sparse (especially the gap from J7 -> J8) having only 1 sign!

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:15 am

Jart wrote:We used google maps and ended up doing an extra 30 miles.

The signage is poor and the organisers seem to assume that people will only use one or two specific routes. We came to a roundabout in Hitchin and there were no signs visable so took the wrong exit for the A505, heading away from the site. There was a sign at the roundabout, just on a different aproach road. Why they issue only one post code for both regular and RR access astounds me. Also, marking signs for the RR access appropriatly is not rocket science and would sort out a lot of grief.

Thank you!!!!

Digitalvoid

Postby Digitalvoid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 am

Got there Thursday, Parking was fine - the sign posts were a bit useless at points but not all bad. Getting out was fine.

Whoever mentioned some kind of hard-flooring-temporary road type thing might be onto something. We saw a fair few cars/bikes/scooters bottom out on a few bumps.

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 am

No issues from a train/bus point of view. I thought the shuttle buses seemed to work well for the most part, I didn't wait any more than 10 minutes getting to and from Stevenage. (did anyone see the chap freaking out on the top deck about the bus going to fast and worrying that it would tip over? I think too many drugs had been consumed!) My only issue was with the taxi's. Plenty of them in the rank when I left at 6am.. but £15 for a 5 minute journey to the railway station!?
T in the Park - 1994, 1998
Reading - 1995
Leeds - 1999
Belladrum - 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013
Chagstock - 2012, 2013
Download - 2012
Sonisphere - 2010
Brew at the Bog - 2013, 2014
Rockness - 2011

EvadBlack

Postby EvadBlack » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:45 pm

The signage for the guest car park was a bit sparse - especially once you'd left Hitchin. I thought I'd taken the wrong exit from the roundabout as I just seemed to be travvelling down country roads. Coming back I also took the wrong turn from the roundabout, travelled down some country roads and almost ended up back at the festival site. Make sure roundabout signs have the right number of exits on them - and if you want someone to take the second exit don't label it as the first one.

Getting out of the guest car park was the quickest I've ever left a festival site - though I imagine that was definitely in part thanks to being ready to go very quickly once Maiden had finished.

Festivals: 2003: Leeds -- 2004: Leeds -- 2005: Leeds -- 2006: Leeds -- 2007: Glastonbury, Latitude, Garden Nef Party, Pukkelpop, Reading -- 2008: Reading -- 2009: Sonisphere, Reading -- 2010: Glastonbury, Truck, Sonisphere, Reading

BLC

Postby BLC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:39 pm

I can't really complain about the travel, or parking - except that we were parked much further away than last year!

We had a real easy drive there and back. We drove in from South Wales, so it was M4 -> M25 -> A1(M) -> festival. Signage from that direction was fine.

lewis582

Postby lewis582 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Have to agree that Hitchin was a bit poor on the signage, both coming and going.
Image playing Sonisphere yes please- well I can still hope for 2011
Metal Sucks, I only like post-ironic guttural slamming blackened pagan neostructuralist minimal progressive power groove sumericrabcore

Morrelis

Postby Morrelis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Probably would have cost the organisers more, but shuttle buses finishing at Midnight was a tad early for us on the Friday?
Otherwise no complaints - nice touch on Sunday, got on the bus at Stevenage, had Iron Maiden playing on the stereo!
Twitter - @thatwouldbealex

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

ravothomas wrote:Shuttle Buses - whatever happened to a continuous service, it would have been extremely helpful if someone said the buses were only running from 9am on Monday. Fortunately me and my friends had the common sense to walk to the train station (a rather long way with a hangover, and running across the roundabout was not the safest way to travel) i fear many people would have missed the trains they booked on the Monday, which would have been stopped if you had said what time they were running from. Still an awesome festival but i wish it didn't end on a bit of a downer :(

It does say on the FAQ's on the website that the buses would only run from 9.30am. This was stop thousands of festival goers descending on the station at peak commuter time.
T in the Park - 1994, 1998
Reading - 1995
Leeds - 1999
Belladrum - 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013
Chagstock - 2012, 2013
Download - 2012
Sonisphere - 2010
Brew at the Bog - 2013, 2014
Rockness - 2011

lrostoke

Postby lrostoke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Maybe some people really should read the instructions on the parking ticket, mine said Jct 7 and follow signs
I came M6 , M1 jct 13 came across country to A1m jct 8 then straight down to 7, and the car park was literally off that roundabout. 2 1/2 hrs from Stoke no queuing or hold ups.

Also I did do a bit of foreward planning I asked on here way before planning the route were family camping was likely to be and was informed which end which left me with the Jct 7 North car park :)

tattoo paul

Postby tattoo paul » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:15 pm

signs were a little scarce but not majorly bad
my worse bit was getting from carpark to campsite (only space was far end of campsite)
bloody long walk with all your camping gear

Dragon Rob

Postby Dragon Rob » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:28 pm

lrostoke wrote:Maybe some people really should read the instructions on the parking ticket

Not just the parking tickets, as far as I can remember didn't the entrance tickets have instructions on the back? Junction 7 for - blah, junction 8 for - blah. All I did was look at a map of the site, see which car park (north or south) would be closer to where I would be camping and take that junction. Didn't really need signs, the main road signs have the junctions on them. ;)

Of course, had my girlfriend been driving I'd probably be moaning as we would have been lost for days and would have wanted signs every 2ft or so, I guess it depends on your sense of direction. :lol:

Neaty

Postby Neaty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Travel wise it was even easier than I expected. I came from J7 so it was literally right there as soon as I got off the A1.

The parking was fine until I tried finding my car in the dark. The lights were a good idea but maybe one more towards the back would have been good too as it was difficult to see. Also, like someone else suggested, car park zones would have helped us locate where the car is parked. I spent about an hour looking for mine! :lol:

Could just simply stick a sign to the lights or maybe it could be like a grid reference with row numbers on the stakes sticking in the ground?

stormynortherner

Postby stormynortherner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:45 pm

triaxis wrote:J8 was for guests/VIP etc

No - it was for public too and was signposted as such.

They could at least have opened up an exit from the arena to that car park at the end of the headliners.

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:39 am

stormynortherner wrote:
triaxis wrote:J8 was for guests/VIP etc

No - it was for public too and was signposted as such.

They could at least have opened up an exit from the arena to that car park at the end of the headliners.

I can only say that at J7 travelling northbound, there was a sign stating that J7 was for gen camping and J8 was for guests/VIP. So I guess it depended on which direction you came from regarding the signs. I checked the back of my ticket, the parking pass and the website's 'how to get there' section to make sure I got to the right car park. Funnily enough, I walked about 10 minutes to get to my mates who were camped next to the arena entrance. :music-rockon:

The worst story I heard about travelling was from those poor souls trapped in the 'Big Green Bus' from Glasgow. My friends came down on this horror on wheels and they had a pretty hard time. Left at 8am and eventually arrived just after 9pm. During that time, the driver crashed into 3 stationary objects, ran out of fuel, demanded a 45 minute break and got lost, despite having TWO sat-navs. All for the princely sum of £70. They will be demanding a refund for a crap service and having to lose virtually all of the first day at the festival. On top of that, no one on site could tell them where the bus was due to pick them up!
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

lrostoke

Postby lrostoke » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 am

Well thats one driver who wants sacking then, isn't exactly difficult to find from Glasgow its pretty much all M6 / M1 then across to A1m doddle.
The 45 min break would be his tachograph break he needs that by law. Although a brain is adviseable as well :)

jonnyscash

Postby jonnyscash » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:37 am

Straight forward, well sign posted as we approached junction 7 and 8, came down on the friday, no real traffic problems, got off at junction 7 and we were there :music-rockon:

Left early on Monday so had no problems with q's

Disgruntled Jim

Postby Disgruntled Jim » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:55 pm

More Shuttle Busses next year please.Waiting in the queues like that for ages was a killer.The busses themselves were great,I just think there should be more of then.Other than that,no complaints from me.

deadwing

Postby deadwing » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:25 am

My only major gripe about the whole festival was the shuttle buses stopping way too early on the Friday.. asked before I left on the forum and was told the last buses would be around 1-1.30 to co-incide with the last train from Stevenage station. I checked when I got off the bus on Friday afternoon and was told the exact same thing, so I stayed for Terrorvision and headed straight out to the shuttle stop.. about 30 people waiting and more arriving all the time...only to be told that the buses had stopped at 11.. That caused a minor stampede over to the taxi rank where you could see the drivers rubbing their hands 'double fare after midnight'....shared a cab with a couple of Americans who weren't best pleased either. I didn't risk staying for the late bands on Saturday but by the sound of it, the same thing happened again

For next year Sonisphere, give us times they will run to in advance and then stick to them

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 am

My only experiences would have been getting the shuttle bus on Thursday, which took like a 5 minute wait, simple and quick. It was brilliant. No complaints :D

Shuttle bus getting back on Monday was a bit of a long wait, however I think this may have been a good thing as there was less congestion at the train station over last year I found - and tbh it's better to have less congestion at a place that will have non-festival goers there too (i.e. at Stevenage station). Maybe finding a way to make people aware of the average wait times would be good, so people know if it's worth waiting in the queue or grabbing a taxi if they fear running late for a booked train.

ParanoidJD

Postby ParanoidJD » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:45 am

Was no trouble driving to the site with the signs out and everything. Only slight irks were some of the people doing the parking were fairly clueless when asked questions. Also some more lighting scattered about would really help when trying to find your car in the night. If mine didn't light up when you pressed the key switch, I'd probably still be trying to find it! :shock:
"At midnight all the agents, and superhuman crew,
Go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do"

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 am

How about Sonisphere's official coach partners recognise the existence of Scotland? National Express disn't have a single coach running from Scotland (at least not when I checked in May anyway) and Big Green coach had only Glasgow, Edinburgh and Hamilton. Add on that fact that BGC left really late so that the people using them on Friday must have got there at about 4pm means that it was a pretty poor service. What we need is more services outside of the central belt (i.e. Dundee & Aberdeen) which leave much earlier. I managed to find another company who have been reliably running coaches to Download for years so I was fine in the end, but it could have been much worse for me.

hellinacell

Postby hellinacell » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Parking and travel were great. No queues as camp on Thursday.
Better signposting for carparks with reference to where abouts on the site they are would be good. Was on Family camping but ended up being directed to parking near rock royalty camping. There was a nearer parking zone to us and we should have been able to park there. :music-rockon:

trauts78

Postby trauts78 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 am

Parking and travel good, had to drop off at normal camping before going to VIP, then back to normal camping for pick up on the monday.

The only thing I noticed was the signs on the motorway for the event (North to South). J8 (VIP) stated VIP but also said public parking, which may have confused some. Maybe should just say VIP. And as mentioned signs for VIP good at J8 then seem to become rare the closer you got to the event.

Return to “2010 Feedback”