Parking and Travel

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Parking and Travel

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:11 am

:?:

rockgeek

Re: Parking and Travel

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 am

Leaving car park after Maiden from guest area was a bit of a hassle but I guess it's to be expected ;)

Some hard track laid down at the sides of the car park would have been ideal but just nit picking

mooseyb

Postby mooseyb » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 am

No real problems at all. A note saying that it was 20 mins from J8 to VIP would have helped, as we thought we'd got lost (not many signs either) but other than that, all good. 2 hours from Sheffield to Knebworth and dead easy to get to.

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Parking could have been easier sign posted early on thursday, we wasnt to sure where to go. Getting out was easy this morning
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:38 pm

No real issues getting in or parking - still think we could do with some form of zones in the car park (i.e you're parked at Mercury Car Park Zone 1) to help find your car at the end of the day. Although we could remember where we parked, it might get difficult if you leave late at night
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:37 pm

1. Right then rant number one................arrived on Fri and traveling cross country from the M1 and followed the Sonisphere sign (Who wouldnt!!!) - ended up in the Guest Car park at the rear of the Main Stage...so rolled up with two kids in the back and they didnt say a thing and let us through.

Unpacked the car for the first trip to Family Camping to find that we had what felt like a mile trek over uneven ground with all our stuff and a 4 & 5 year old....

We got to the first entrance by the Arena entry to find we should not have come this way.....the staff there altho sympathetic and clueless also had no comms (Heath & safety!!!)

They decided to give us normal wristbands to enable us to go the further trek down the road to Family Camping so we could then get another wristband and have the original cut off!!!!

So walking along this roadway with kids in tow (ish) dodging vehicles going too fast and giving you dirty looks cos you can jump out of the way with ruck sacks, trolleys kids etc!!!!

We then get to the Family Camping....to be continued on another thread!!!
Last edited by The Unforgiven on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I wouldn't - I would have gone to the correct junction and followed signs from there but fair enough...

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:51 pm

rockgeek wrote:I wouldn't - I would have gone to the correct junction and followed signs from there but fair enough...

They said we couldnt move our car!!!!

meisterbud

Postby meisterbud » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Would have been nice to know that it was a 15 mile round the houses trip from J8. More signs would have been useful as some friends managed to get lost on the way! I just followed the car loaded with camping gear and tattoos!

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't think that is the case

Also, Google Maps

I meant, I would gone to the right junction initially

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 pm

rockgeek wrote:I don't think that is the case

Also, Google Maps

I meant, I would gone to the right junction initially

I know its the case - if you didnt want the truth why did you put this thread up!!!!

I have no need to lie!!!

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:06 pm

The Unforgiven wrote:1. Right then rant number one................arrived on Fri and traveling cross country from the M1 and followed the Sonisphere sign (Who wouldnt!!!) - ended up in the Guest Car park at the rear of the Main Stage...so rolled up with two kids in the back and they didnt say a thing and let us through.

Aye Dave basically someone at the car park should have said that you had gone the wrong way and redirected you. From my experience, I drove up the A1(M) and got off at J7 - the sign said 'festival traffic' and the car parking pass I had showed that I needed to take J7 as that was where the public car parking was. J8 was for guests/VIP etc - its just a shame that no one said to you that you went the wrong way - either bad signage or bad communication from stewards - out of curiosity, did you have a car parking pass?

corney91 wrote:

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Nope paid when I got there!!!

I went via M1 so no junctions involved mate - was good to see ya by the way!

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:11 pm

The Unforgiven wrote:Nope paid when I got there!!!

I went via M1 so no junctions involved mate - was good to see ya by the way!

Ah ok - in that case, stewards should've pointed it out to you - without the car pass and coming from that direction it wouldn't have been obvious

Yeah twas good to see you, Bitty, and the kids - hope these problems didn't take the shine off your weekend
corney91 wrote:

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Not at all - had a great time but as I said when we meet constructive comments can only make events better - pity you make them then get disbelieved...oh well each to there own - catch you at HRH!!!

madasafish

Postby madasafish » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm

I have to agree more signs on the way to VIP, not just one every 5miles or so.. Also better signage on the roundabout which takes you either to the M1 or A1 as the sign showed 4 exits and there where plenty more, and many more will have got lost, if they didnt have sat nav.

Andy

ravothomas

Postby ravothomas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Shuttle Buses - whatever happened to a continuous service, it would have been extremely helpful if someone said the buses were only running from 9am on Monday. Fortunately me and my friends had the common sense to walk to the train station (a rather long way with a hangover, and running across the roundabout was not the safest way to travel) i fear many people would have missed the trains they booked on the Monday, which would have been stopped if you had said what time they were running from. Still an awesome festival but i wish it didn't end on a bit of a downer :(

Matt7626

Postby Matt7626 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm

The Unforgiven wrote:Not at all - had a great time but as I said when we meet constructive comments can only make events better - pity you make them then get disbelieved...oh well each to there own - catch you at HRH!!!

I think your belived, just that he thinks it was more your fault that the festival.

Maybe next time google maps would be helpful :P

But my trip down on the train from kings cross was painless and easy, little wait for the shuttle bus but that to be expected

pulpquango

Postby pulpquango » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Signage - On Thursday at least, not terribly good. Wound up as close as Hithchin and ended up near Luton airport trying to map read.
On the subject of the Rock Royalty check-in..... Despite relatively short queues at the check-in and quite a few staff, waiting time was half an hour, the guy who set up next to us ended up waiting for a full hour. It shouldn't take that long to put a bracelet on folks and hand out goodie bags. A few folk in the queue who ended up waiting 20 minutes or so also had to turn around, having been let in the RR entrance without the necessary tickets.

Jart

Postby Jart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:52 pm

We used google maps and ended up doing an extra 30 miles.

The signage is poor and the organisers seem to assume that people will only use one or two specific routes. We came to a roundabout in Hitchin and there were no signs visable so took the wrong exit for the A505, heading away from the site. There was a sign at the roundabout, just on a different aproach road. Why they issue only one post code for both regular and RR access astounds me. Also, marking signs for the RR access appropriatly is not rocket science and would sort out a lot of grief.

dazzler254

Postby dazzler254 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Shuttle buses to Stevenage - As I wasn't camping the free buses from the station are a great idea. However, having them stop before the last bands on Fri and Sat caused problems. I wanted to stay for Terrorvision and Renegades and that left me with no shuttle back to the station and making it almost as cheap to get the cab all the way back to the hotel in Hitchin as it was back to the station.

The trains run until very late so maybe next year the buses can too?

Taxis - Much better than my experience last year (last year they didn't take us into Knebworth just round the corner and dumped us on the dual carriageway!). It was a fixed fee of £10 per car during the day, however in the evening's it became a free for all. Got quoted anywhere between £19 and £40 for a cab to Hitchin. Is it possible for the festival to agree fixed prices for the entire festival?

Punkie

Postby Punkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:26 pm

madasafish wrote:I have to agree more signs on the way to VIP, not just one every 5miles or so.. Also better signage on the roundabout which takes you either to the M1 or A1 as the sign showed 4 exits and there where plenty more, and many more will have got lost, if they didnt have sat nav.

Andy

We got lost on this roundabout, took 3 exits to find the one we wanted!

cocainehero88

Postby cocainehero88 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

We came to the site via Hitching, and ended up in the car park for vip ticket holders and guest tickets, even though we were clearly displaying the bright green parking pass, we were still allowed into this area, then told there was another car park at the other end of the site (where our friends were). The stewards in the car park couldn't direct us to the other car park as they didn't know the area!!!!!

It was partly our own fault for not taking the A1(M) to the site, I feel the North and South car parks could have been noted on the road signs, and the car park stewards could have been supplied with a map of the site and its surrounding roads in order to help lost/confused customers who were very tired from an 8 hour drive!!

We did get there in the end and we had a spectacular time!!

Many thanks - see you next year
Upcoming Joy:
June 1st - End of BSc Biomedical Science year 2 :D
June 14th - Clutch - Pontypridd now, because Millenium Music Hall are rubbish!!!
June 16th-18th - Beer and Cider Festival - Cardiff
July 7th-10th - Sonisphere 2011

Punkie

Postby Punkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:33 pm

cocainehero88 wrote:We came to the site via Hitching, and ended up in the car park for vip ticket holders and guest tickets, even though we were clearly displaying the bright green parking pass, we were still allowed into this area, then told there was another car park at the other end of the site (where our friends were). The stewards in the car park couldn't direct us to the other car park as they didn't know the area!!!!!

Noticed a lot of this, which meant that lots of random day ticket holders were walking around the RR area.

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Shuttle buses were a godsend for trips to Tesco for breakfast! Staff always pleasant and helpful. I do hope in future years they don't limit shuttle buses to 2 trips only, travelling on trains with 2 teenagers meant we couldn't carry everything so had to stock up on Friday.

Queue wasn't too bad Monday morning, looked worse than it was.

Train station people were pains not letting us down onto the platform even though there was plenty of room and generally looking at festival goers as scum of the earth. They shouted out for London travellers even though our train at 11.54am was due first, but luckilly we just made it down as our train pulled in.

Return to “2010 Feedback”