Site Layout

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
billytheweed

Re: Site Layout

Postby billytheweed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:03 pm

they layout was definatley better than last year , although not perfect,

i thought the red bull tent was a bit out of the way , and the jager stage could have been a bit nearer to the action, they were way over the other side of the site and didn't get as much passing trade as they could have done.

but like i said other than that pretty much perfect :bow-yellow:
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

randomgirl666

Postby randomgirl666 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 pm

I really liked the layout too - there were no ridiculously long walks between the coach park and the campsite, or between the campsite and the arena. It didn't take too long to figure out where everything was and there were areas where things were a bit more quiet to hang out when things got a bit warm.

Not sure where I would have sheltered if it had rained though, given that all the tents were well away from the stages.

dfb1999

Postby dfb1999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Put the screen for Apollo higher up so you can see them from further away please. You could see Saturn screens from Apollo, but not 'tuther way round. Made switching much more difficult.

Miyacemu

Postby Miyacemu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 pm

First Sonisphere, and I thought the layout was great for the most part.
Family camp was really easy to get to and from. Blue kinda confused me on the first day, but I got used to it. Couple of trip hazzards in the form of ditches were thankfully nothing but amusing when people tried running down the path only to go arse-over-tit.
I honestly didn't spend much time at the main stages so I can't comment on them too much, but the slope to the left of the 2nd stage is annoying. I can't imagine that the tiny screens are much help if you're far enough away to need to watch one. Oh, and I must say that I'm thankful I don't need to use the disabled platform, because that didn't seem great.
But otherwise it was grand. Really easy to get from place to place, and all the essentials food/booze/toilets were easily accessible from any stage.
So, yeah, I can dig it.
Hi, I'm Luke.
Reading 1999. Download 2005-2010. Bloodstock 2007-2009. Lattitude 2208-2009. Eastern Haze. Sonisphere 2010.

exoteror

Postby exoteror » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 pm

I enjoyed the layout I think abit more space to stand between stages woulden't go amiss but the only downside to the festival was getting into it on the thursday.
We spent 2 hours queueing to get in, I understand the ammount of people in the queue but I think it was too excessive, Some barriers to funnel people around might have stopped the people joining from the sides.

Once we got to the front it seems they wen't searching many people at all, and it was slow becaue they had 8 people putting wrist bands on everyone in a narrow area. most of the time they were standing there doing nothing because people carrying massive backpacks stop people getting to the others.

So it would be nice to spread the entrance out abit it might speed up everything.

Psymonkee

Postby Psymonkee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:40 am

Big improvement over last year moving Apollo back. I hung near the back (Gourmet Burger/Pure Pie vans) both nights I was up there - I could see the stage and the screens and I could take in the whole show without getting trampled/completely deafened!

Red Bull could have done with being turned round 90 degrees so it was at the bottom of it's slope, better viewing.

Bohemia tent needs to be bigger or put the bigger names outside!

Otherwise not bad at all.

hlynur

Postby hlynur » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Arena layout seemed about as good as it could be within the confines of the site. Similar internal area to Graspop or Pre 2008 download festivals. Better than pre 2008 Download layouts but pinchy compared to graspop. Generally impressive for having two big outdoor stages in such a small perimeter.

Entry and exit of the site on Friday was quick but chaotic. We had non camping weekend tickets but were sent in to the site through the campsite! On the way out they made some effort to get people to go around the site but many still walked back through the site that night, also even though we walked around we still found a massive unpatroled gap from the exit road into camping. I guess a few people helped themselves to free camping friday because by saturday they closed the gaps, sent everyone along the road and were checking wristbands inside camping. None of this inconvenienced us but it looked pretty slapdash. They got things sorted by saturday and the only practical change should be to create a non camping entry/exit route that is closed to vehicles. On the way in on saturday and sunday it wasn't great to send people along a road that was still being used by vehicles.

kazz

Postby kazz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:33 pm

i had absolutely no problems with the layout at all.

i was camped with the loners and the walk up to camp (cursed the hill a lot) meant that i didn't have to climb up that hill everyday like last year.

:)

the arena appeared really spacey so that even though there 55,000 people in there, you didn't feel like there was. it wasn't cramped or anything.

i didn't use any of the other campsites except rock royalty bar stuff. but it was really well done as well.

like i said, can't fault it or the positioning of the stages or anything. oh yeah, and whilst i was waiting for peoples in the jager truck. i found ted.

:D
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Thought it was good last year, thought it was spot on this year, I really can't fault it or suggest ways to improve it
FMC Code - 1k949287

BLC

Postby BLC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:49 pm

I like having the stages at opposite ends of the arena, but more time is needed between band sets. 5 minutes is not enough to move that many people from one stage to another. I ended up cutting a few bands short, so that I could make sure I beat the crush for the next stage. I know it's not far, but having only 5 minutes encourages people to rush. Maybe 10/15 minutes next time - that's enough time for people to take their time, and even stop off for a piss if needs be.

fadetojack

Postby fadetojack » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 pm

PLEASE DONT CHANGE THE LAYOUT IT WAS PERFECT, WITH BOWTIME/REDBULL AND FAIR ALL CLOSE FOR THE LATE NIGHTERS, IT WAS GREAT LEAVE IT! :)
isit too much to ask for Staind, Rise Against and SLAAAAAAAYYERRRRRR?
Thank you for the chance to create a grand mess in Knebworth one more time, 09'10'11'14

irishnenglish

Postby irishnenglish » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:31 pm

I think the main stage should face downhill so everyone of all heights can see everything
I have returned

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:36 pm

ARENA:

I liked it - much more open this year which I thought was great :)

slight walk between Bowtime and Apollo which got to be a pain after a number of trips - only 5mins tops which was fine, just a nuisance - biggest gripe I have, which should say how good the arena layout was :)
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

irishnenglish

Postby irishnenglish » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 pm

there was coloured camps?
I have returned

stormynortherner

Postby stormynortherner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Overall it was very good.

My only suggestion is that it would be good to have a quicker route in from the South Car Park, or at the very least open an exit from the mainstage area to it at the end of the headliners' set. (There did seem to be an exit for staff etc. that went that way so it should be possible.

jonnyscash

Postby jonnyscash » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 am

First time at Soni and i thought the layout was fine, just a few things tho, As mentioned, a huge bottle neck at the disabled platform, also when at the Red Bull and Jager stages, you could still the fooken arcades.

But all in all everything was easy to find and it was easy to arrange meeting places when we got spilt up

HearMeNow

Postby HearMeNow » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 pm

urbansickness wrote:thought the whole layout was fine, only problem being a massive bottleneck for crowd movement by the disabled platform

An improvement on last year but ^ this
And what idiot decided to make it worse by putting a large wheelie bin right in the middle of that bottleneck?

Who will till the soil of these barren black remains?

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 am

Crowd movement wasn't TOO bad. It took about 5 ish minutes to get away from the mainstage after the headliners, bit slow, but it's to be expected.

Overall the layout was brilliant, moving the food stalls from the middle of the 2 main stages is great because that bottleneck could have been a hell of a lot worse if those were still there. Stages were far enough from each other to not cause issues, but close enough so you could move between them easily and quickly. There really isn't much that could be improved here, main stages are a bit unfortunate with the hills they are on, but there isn't much that can be done with that.

ParanoidJD

Postby ParanoidJD » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:47 am

Really liked it there! Was ok moving between the stages and a nice layout of stalls to have a mooch around when you wanted a break from the music :D
"At midnight all the agents, and superhuman crew,
Go out and round up everyone that knows more than they do"

facethestrange

Postby facethestrange » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 pm

My first Soni, and I thought the layout was great. Hellishly easy to get from the RR campsite to the arena, and easy to get between the stages. Just a couple of small points: the Apollo screens need to be much higher so you get a better view; the Bohemia tent was too small.
Other than that, all good :clap:

lemming3k

Postby lemming3k » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:26 pm

I think it was great apart from Bohemia being tucked away around the corner behind the second stage which made for a huge bottleneck whenever large numbers of people moved around the corner or tried to get past a crowded second stage, particularly after Alice Cooper.
It should probably be swapped for the Strongbow stage as that's still covered but less popular, and Bohemia moved somewhere it's easier for large numbers of people to move around and make the most of all the entrances.
Other than that I don't think there were any big layout issues.
I can still see the bouncy tatty bojangles, but please don't cure me.

shagger

Postby shagger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm

I thought the layout was great, never had to walk far for anything and access/egress to the arena/camp-site was very easy for a festival this size. The only thing I would change, and it is only one thing, switch the Saturn and Apollo stages about. The stages were facing each other on a slope, which was fine for the Saturn because it was at the bottom of the hill so you could see it fine from quite far back, but you really had to be close-ish to the Apollo to get a good view. There was a slight bottle neck issue near the viewing platform, but nothing I'd complain about to much.
COVER ME IN CHOCOLATE AND THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS

rentawitch

Postby rentawitch » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Matt7626 wrote:Thought it was brilliant mainly.

As said if it is possible to have apollo at the bottom of a bit of a hill it would make it much easier to see, but i understand that may be impossible.

Now im going to bitch: MY FEET HURT MAKE IT SMALLER :P

BUt all in all i thought it was brilliant.

You have to buy REALLY COMFORTABLE SHOES. The true way to inner peace and everlasting happiness.
They don't look cool but an old pair of Skechers and birkenstocks kept my tootsies very content :D

[Shep]

Postby [Shep] » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:19 pm

apart from one small issue I thought the layout was great (and i'm not sure if the issue is even layout related, but dn't know where else it would go)

when the site opens for early entry please can you make sure there are enough staff to keep the queue moving, we arrived an hour before the site opened and it took over another hour for us to get in, being stood there with all our stuff became a bit painful, and it would have been worse had the weather been bad.
FMC: 1k910868
Leeds '07, '08, '09, '10
Sonisphere '09, '10

jadeylemonadey

Postby jadeylemonadey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Did they have a meeting point last year? If not, this year's one was bloody brilliant. It's much easier just having one main meeting point than ringing a mate and being like 'Come and meet me by the burger stall!' 'Err..which one?'

If they did have it last year, pretend I wrote this comment 365 days ago! :P

Return to “2010 Feedback”