Family Camping

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Family Camping

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:10 am

:?:

lrostoke

Re: Family Camping

Postby lrostoke » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Very impressed with family camping well done :) could probably have done with about 4 more toilet cubicles for the busy periods :)

The Unforgiven

Postby The Unforgiven » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:44 pm

No.2 - so we got to get the proper wristbands and absolutly knackered after our trek, hot - bothered etc we went off to find a space hahaha...

We found what we thought was a nice spot behind the tower and setup - made friends with a couple next door who had young kids too and even had a space infront of out TeePee for the kids to play - excellent just what Family Camping should be.....

alas when we got back later someone had moved our chairs and plonked a Tent right infront of ours....it became evident that Family Camping was really quiet camping - and people with kids are tolerated...(our friends couldnt get the baby pushchair out and where told carry it!!!!)

The other gripe I have (Having worked for Security many times) is why the feck do the people in the tower have no earpieces and have their radios on loud at 3am.....

Forkboy68

Postby Forkboy68 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Class!!!!! No negative comments at all. Plenty of room, really cool neigbours, 5 minutes from the entrance (no lugging gear for 2 miles), own toilets and proper showers, friendly security, no hike to the arena.....well done!
Monsters of Rock 1994
Ozzfest 1998
Metallica Big Day Out 1999
Download 2006
Download 2007
Download 2008
Download 2009
Sonisphere 2010
Download 2013
Leeds 2013
Sonisphere2014

Miyacemu

Postby Miyacemu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Generally really good. Stewards were helpful and everything.
Wristband was checked everytime I came back to the tent, and occasionally when I left.
Toilets never seemed to get too bad, but it did seem like there were maybe one or two too few at peak periods.
Was a bit silly when some people with one of those massive teepees (sp) were told to pitch their tent right infront of another tent due to lack of space so the folks in the first tent had to unpeg theirs and rotate it.
And, I think it was Saturday night when a bunch of people were kicking a football against the fence. Which to me seemed really selfish when it's late and you're in family camping. Thankfully I had my ipod to drown out the noise.
But yeah, it was my first experience in family camping and I was really pleased. It was nice to have a generally quieter camp to come back to at the end of the night and not have to worry about people burning stuff on the last night.
Good times.
Hi, I'm Luke.
Reading 1999. Download 2005-2010. Bloodstock 2007-2009. Lattitude 2208-2009. Eastern Haze. Sonisphere 2010.

PapaFan

Postby PapaFan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Family Camping was packed like everywhere else.And yes,we too had a tent parked 6 inches in front of our entrance.Nice.Urinals stank the same as everywhere else,and had no privacy barriers whatsoever,unlike everywhere else.Low water pressure in the mornings,long queues for disgusting WCs,and strangely not that many families.At least we were safer from the tent burning rioters that invaded the place during the night,burst straight through security,then were hotley pursued by police,security, aerial surveillance,with groups of the bigger blokes providing barriers to some sections.WTF?

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Perfect! Although packed! No room for any more tents. Half of the Tangerine Field was empty and should have been used as an overflow.

Toilets always clean and didn't smell as bad as Tangerine Field ones. Tangerine Field Loo's were too close to Family Cooking Point and stunk rotten!

Wristbands always checked both in and out.

Kids were quiet and under control. Only noise came from groups of young people setting up their own little communities which will only get worse if Family Camping gets any bigger.

Cooking point issues -- Family cooking point was a joke! Room for 3 maybe 4 BBQ's at a time. Add chairs, equipment, people wanting to sit and eat. The size of the cooking area alone made it far more dangerous to try and cook there than in front of your tent.

BBQ rules whether on or off the grass were inforced Thurs and Fri night. By Saturday they'd given up trying so at least we could sit and cook in comfort.

There were plenty of Stewards, Security and Police walking around Family camping all the time and surley we were one of the more responsible camps. Why not just enforce the rule that if you're not damaging the grass and other peoples safety then you're ok?

Postby 1878 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 am

It's the first time I've camped anywhere outside of the Lake District and I wouldn't have a second thought about booking again next year. The people around us were great (a group of Irish from Nottingham, the talking tent ;) and a dad & lad (Wasp supporters) from down south), thank you, as having nice people around only makes the experience more enjoyable.

The wash facilities were fine. I only used the portaloo once as the queues were always too long when I walked past and I only used them then as it was Monday morning and I couldn't use the Comfy Crappers in the arena. Using poo water as the flush water though! It was embarassing as it didn't smell too bad until I flushed and the person next in probably thought it was my first dump after several Indian banquets.

One very minor gripe...could you mow the grass before the festival next year please as I do prefer a well trimmed garden :lol:

rolpol

Postby rolpol » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:26 am

Family Camping was excellent. We had so much space you could have pitched a six-man tent on either side of our tents and still had room to swing a leopard.

Neighbours excellent, lots of happy kids about, and not far to get to the arena.

Could have done with a coffee/donut stall in the field, but that would have been greedy!

Very impressive all round, we had a great time and eagerly anticipate next years lineup!

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Plenty of room when we got there, a couple of people thought they could have the whole field to themselves though and told people not to camp near them as it was "reserved", idiots. Clearly they need to read the rules.

Wristbands were checked regularly, only once did someone not check.

Nice and quiet.

Toilets didn't seem to be cleaned during the weekend in family camping and were close to overflowing, perhaps a clean on Friday night/ Saturday morning or more toilets would be necessary.

Water point was great as was the inclusion of showers.

Scrap Tangerine fields and use that space as an extension to family camping as it's increasingly popular each year.

Perhaps a burger bar/ ice cream van near one of the entrances.
FMC Code - 1k949287

seraphim

Postby seraphim » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:53 pm

My main criticism... well, my wife's, since I didn't use 'em... was why didn't the showers open earlier? She had to trek to the main site to get a shower at 7am cos the family site ones didn't open until 9! I suspect most people were up by then...

And to the person above who commented that it was just 'five minutes' from the entrance, while that was true perhaps you weren't in a car? We had to hump/drag our gear for about half an hour from the car park. This wasn't helped by one of the wheels on our main case getting jammed and shredding itself before I realised. But at least it wasn't muddy and there weren't too many uphills :)

After being woken at 6.30am on the Friday by the kids in the tent nearby singing 'rude' songs (might've been cute and funny at any other time of day!) I thought we were in for annoying brat syndrome all weekend, but I never heard them again after that so maybe they'd left or perhaps mum and dad had slipped some Jagermeister into their orange juice? ;)

I take the point about there not being that many families (although i was surprised at the number of under-10s I saw), but even without our 14-year-old I'd still not want to spend any nights in the thinly disguised mosh pits of the main camping area!

Overall a very positive experience and I'd be happy to come back next year.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 pm

seraphim wrote:And to the person above who commented that it was just 'five minutes' from the entrance, while that was true perhaps you weren't in a car? We had to hump/drag our gear for about half an hour from the car park. This wasn't helped by one of the wheels on our main case getting jammed and shredding itself before I realised. But at least it wasn't muddy and there weren't too many uphills :)

the car park was basically at the entrance, if you got early entry, perhaps try that next year, will make life a lot easier :D
FMC Code - 1k949287

seraphim

Postby seraphim » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm

metalicbear wrote:
seraphim wrote:And to the person above who commented that it was just 'five minutes' from the entrance, while that was true perhaps you weren't in a car? We had to hump/drag our gear for about half an hour from the car park. This wasn't helped by one of the wheels on our main case getting jammed and shredding itself before I realised. But at least it wasn't muddy and there weren't too many uphills :)

the car park was basically at the entrance, if you got early entry, perhaps try that next year, will make life a lot easier :D

Having read some of the other posts on the forum it looks like we ended up at the wrong car park, since we entered the site via the 'back entrance', right next to the way into the arena! That's probably due to my lack of familiarity with UK roads, the SatNav playing up and us going the wrong way after leaving Stansted Airport! A shame none of the parking stewards bothered to re-route those of us who came in this way, though, since it would have saved a lot of hassle.

Tweet

Postby Tweet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:18 am

The Unforgiven wrote:
The other gripe I have (Having worked for Security many times) is why the feck do the people in the tower have no earpieces and have their radios on loud at 3am.....

I agree... we put our tent right next to the information tent and weren't best pleased when in the middle of the night all we could hear were the loud radios :o

but other than that i really did like family camping :) and did last year too. :)

but we could have done with more toilets!
PLEEEEEEEEASE use my FMC code ... if you do it will put a massive smile on my face :D 1k910332 thanks :D

Danny Parker

Postby Danny Parker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:58 am

Enjoyed Family Camping and will certainly consider it again next year....assuming the line-up is worth going for.

As others have said, extra toilets wouldn't be a bad idea...and adding a little privacy the urinals is an absolute must, it is 'FAMILY' camping after all. Also, a food van on site would be most welcome next time.

Danny Parker

Postby Danny Parker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 am

seraphim wrote:
metalicbear wrote:

Having read some of the other posts on the forum it looks like we ended up at the wrong car park, since we entered the site via the 'back entrance', right next to the way into the arena! That's probably due to my lack of familiarity with UK roads, the SatNav playing up and us going the wrong way after leaving Stansted Airport! A shame none of the parking stewards bothered to re-route those of us who came in this way, though, since it would have saved a lot of hassle.

We ended up in the car park next to Rock Royalty, which turned out to be miles from Family Camping. When we asked a steward how to get to the site, we were given vague directions with no mention of the distance or if there was an alternative car park. We were almost finished by the time we'd managed to drag all our gear to the site. :-x

jonnyscash

Postby jonnyscash » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

1878 wrote:It's the first time I've camped anywhere outside of the Lake District and I wouldn't have a second thought about booking again next year. The people around us were great (a group of Irish from Nottingham, the talking tent ;) and a dad & lad (Wasp supporters) from down south), thank you, as having nice people around only makes the experience more enjoyable.

Yeah second this, I was one of the Irish, and my m8 was the talking tent. Cant beleive we camped beside scousers and all our stuff was still there when we woke up :lol:. :roll: Anyway:

Walk to campsite from car was only about 10mins, i think people who walked longer must of got off at juntion 8
Still loads of room when we got their and there was still space all weekend
Could of had alot more bogs, the q was a fecken nightmare
Nice and secure, wristbands checked all the time
All in all a good experience

Postby 1878 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 pm

jonnyscash wrote:Cant beleive we camped beside scousers and all our stuff was still there when we woke up :lol:.

:lol: We're more gamekeepers than poachers. :lol:

Nice to have met you and the rest of you. Me, Mark and my lad, Luke, were in the red/black tent. Julian and Jake were in the other in case you were wondering who this is.

jonnyscash

Postby jonnyscash » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:01 pm

1878 wrote:
jonnyscash wrote:Cant beleive we camped beside scousers and all our stuff was still there when we woke up :lol:.

:lol: We're more gamekeepers than poachers. :lol:

Nice to have met you and the rest of you. Me, Mark and my lad, Luke, were in the red/black tent. Julian and Jake were in the other in case you were wondering who this is.

This is Jon, i was in the blue tent with my wife (alex), dave and sadie were in the green tent and the talking tent was Dan.

Nice to have met you to :clap: :clap: :clap:

wezzz

Postby wezzz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

by Miyacemu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Generally really good. Stewards were helpful and everything.
Wristband was checked everytime I came back to the tent, and occasionally when I left.
Toilets never seemed to get too bad, but it did seem like there were maybe one or two too few at peak periods.
Was a bit silly when some people with one of those massive teepees (sp) were told to pitch their tent right infront of another tent due to lack of space so the folks in the first tent had to unpeg theirs and rotate it.

that was us.
apart from that the campsite was good, could of done with more loo's maybe on oposite side of campsite so people didnt have to walk as far just to queue. also the cooking point was a bit daft either make it bigger or put more of them around the site. secuirity were very friendly nd did there jobs well (feel sorry for whoever has to stand in that tower for so long)biggest thing is the hike form the carpark and the fact that it wasnt made clear to us that there was 2 car parks :( . neighbours were all nice and wasnt too noisy. had a great weekend counting down for next year :D

hellinacell

Postby hellinacell » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Had a fab time on Family camping. Great atmosphere. Wasnt worried about anyone trashing my tent and was actually able to sleep on the last night, which, after being on main campsite at Leeds many times before, was a luxury!!
Was nearly a perfect experiance but I think there could be a couple of improvements.

The showers on camp were great but could have opened earlier than 8am.
There could have been a few more toilets as at some points there were very large queues.
We were given the wrong wristbands at the wristband exchange (dispite me saying we were family camping) and had to walk extra distance to get the correct bands.

Would defo do family camping again next year!!
Thanks for a fab festival. :music-rockon:

banshicab

Postby banshicab » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm

All in all a fantastic weekend!!

Our little boy 7, went sleep walking and was taken out of Family Camping by 2 lovely girls to the Welfare Tent, even though he didn't belong to the girls. Really he should have been kept with Family Camping Security and someone from Welfare should have come up to him its not like he didn't have a Family Camping band on, we obviously weren't going to be too far away, how were the security to know the 2 girls that had him weren't going to hurt him!!!?????? ALTHOUGH I do send a HUGE thank you to Becky and Megan for saving my little boy James Cheers Girls xxx OH and on this note there should be 24 hour cover on the info tent in Family Camping due to it being families incase of any emergency!

Family Camping was used by most people as "quiet camping" I think next year there should be standard camping, QUIET camping, FAMILY camping then Tangerine fields etc etc!!! Tangerine fields had loads of room and I couldn't even get my pram, which was my babys transport and bed, out of FAMILY camping due to the cramming of tents which for families was dangerous!!! Family camping should be set up like Tangerine fields in lines so that access is easier and safer! Also another batch of loos, 15 was no tquite enough! Maybe 2 lots of 10! 1 10 at one side of the showers and 10 the other!! SHOWERS!!! OMG £3 per person to shower!!! Yes ok £3 per adult but to charge for the kids who would be showering with their mum and/or Dad anyway I personally think is OTT, Download had a huge communal shower last time I went and that was free, ok it wasn't private but who gives a gooseberry about that, U found that women went down 1 aisle and blokes went the other!

Crates of 24 Carlsberg had risen from £24 last year to £32.50 this year (bit of a P*** take if you ask me, so I had to do a Tesco run on Saturday!!!) :-x Parking was great, not a hassle to get to the arena although would have been better to put the road route on the map!!!

I do commend what u did with the cups, giving back 10p per cup very good just why make us pay for it at the end of the day! You make more than enough money charging £3 per pint, £3.50 would be acceptable but £3.70 or £3.90 per pint is pushing it to beyond the limit! We were drinkin what we could at the tent and having 2 in the arena as it was silly prices! Lower your prices you'll sell more and make much much more!

I thank you for the hard work that has gone into Sonisphere and I really do hope you listen to all your guests! It was a S**t hot line up, I'm thrilled my 7yr old, 5yr old and 5 1/2month old all got to see Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper and Rammstein, the kids loved it, we loved it and Roll on Sonisphere 2011!
xxxx

ChristabelLaMotte

Postby ChristabelLaMotte » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Showers - water running out: On arrival, I was really impressed that Soni had taken on board last year's feedback and put showers on the Family site. However, despite queuing up 2 days in a row, I didn't manage to get a shower at all this year because the water ran out each time before I reached the front of the queue. The first day, the water ran out at around 11.30, so I went earlier the next day - but then so must have everyone else because the water ran out at around 10.30 that day!! REally annoying to queue for near on an hour only for the water to run out.

Showers - opening hours:
I agree with others that the opening hours should have been extended. Although others have said they would like the showers open before 9 - and I would have liked them open after 2pm!! Longer opening would avoid the queues and would have meant that if the water ran out in the morning, it would have been possible to get the water tanks filled up again for later in the day.

Showers - cost:
Last year the showers were £2.50 and they were open for longer opening hours, and there never seemed to be a problem with the water supply. 50p increase for a facility that actually didn't work seemed a bit unreasonable. Especially when the showers at Download are provided free - and those ones were open 7-7 this year. I would really like to see Sonisphere providing a free shower facility in future - at least at a one central location - you could always offer pay showers elsewhere, eg in the Family site to give people a choice.

Space: I've been to 3 festivals this year (family/quiet camping for every one) and the site at Soni was the roomiest one by far - others who have criticised the space element should have been at Download this year where we couldn't even get guy ropes up - my tent was literally pitched edge to edge on 3 sides. I do agree that it was a tad galling though to see Tangerine Dreams so empty.

Noise of Security radios: The security guards on the site were really conscientious and friendly, but like others, I was disturbed every night by the noise of their radios (I was pitched close to a watchtower). This comment is a bit picky though, because compared to the noise elsewhere, it was really nothing to complain about! And at least it was reassuring to know that they were up there and doing their job (and let's face it, night duty in the watchtower in family camping must be a really short-straw of a shift!!).

Policing: Compared to the other festivals I've been at this year (and it was the same last year too), the policing by Hertfordshire Constabulary seems really heavy-handed in comparison to how other police forces approach it. Although the regular police foot patrols were reassuring, I felt it was actually very unnecessary to bring police sniffer dogs round the Family campsite. The young child in the tent close by was absolutely petrified when these very large Alsations appeared out of the blue round the corner of the tent one afternoon - and I have to say, it gave me a bit of a scare too! If they are worried about drugs on the site, then I think it would be more reasonable to have people 'sniffed' on the way into the event/campsite rather than bringing dogs round people's tents, epecially were there are small children, which really felt like an intrusion on privacy, and actually quite threatening.

Location of Tangerine Dreams loos: There was no need for the Tangerine Dreams loos to be so close to family camping tents - they could have been put either at the back of the Tangerine Dreams field, or on the opposite side - both of which would have been backing onto woodland rather than tents.

Overall, I had an absolutely blinding weekend though, so a big thank you and well done to everyone involved!
FMC 1k989683

Martii

Postby Martii » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:42 pm

It sounds like you guys had a quite plesant experience of family camping, and i'm very impressed with what I have read and concidering it myself.

Seprate camping areas, 'family' 'quiet' 'normal'. I think that is a great idea. Probably too late to say this after the focus group has been and gone (maybe another one?) but I myself want to go 'quiet' and as soon as that last band plays I'm off to bed. I dont drink and stay up all night like people of 20 probably should haha. I understand family camping has been used for the quiet option and from the sounds of it got really 'packed', maybe there could be someway to enforce familys in one part of the field, quiet people in other part. Different fields or something. Or if people actully start 'camps' and start being noisey they should be warned, and if it continues demoted to normal camping. I would say slightly extend the space for family camping but that really wouldnt solve anything and more and more people would want to go family camping.

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:16 am

Martii wrote:... I understand family camping has been used for the quiet option and from the sounds of it got really 'packed', maybe there could be someway to enforce familys in one part of the field, quiet people in other part. Different fields or something. Or if people actully start 'camps' and start being noisey they should be warned, and if it continues demoted to normal camping. I would say slightly extend the space for family camping but that really wouldnt solve anything and more and more people would want to go family camping.

When we arrived in Family Camping there were only about 5 other tents set up, pitched our tent when 2 groups of people turned up shouting between them about how much room they'd need. Second group even had a wooden coffee table with them. Now I don't mind a bit of noise but with how much room they needed for their group we decided to move.

After that, only problem was the smell from Tangerine Field loo's and the cooking issue. Tangerine field wasn't even half full, their loo's were against family fence and smelled rank. Family loo's were fine so god knows what they'd been eating! The first people having BBQ's were told to move them to the cooking area which was worrying watching them trying to move them. Cooking area was too small, had to step over cookers in order to find room. Got very messy and smelly. By Saturday the stewards had given in and let us cook by our tents.

Hopefully cooking will be more sorted this year. Other than that, friendly people, nice atmosphere, not too much rubbish about the site.

Family camping again this year :) In a perfect world would prefer if we could cook outside of tent without all the fuss of carting everything to cooking point but if it's exactly like last year then we'd be happy :)

Return to “2010 Feedback”