Misc

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

Misc

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:09 am

:?:

musicmaker29

Re: Misc

Postby musicmaker29 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 pm

RAISE THE SCREENS! - Why have a stage a gazillion feet high (I am known to exagerate) and then have the screens so near the bottom, a slight bit higher and people below 6 foot woul have actually been able to see them in the crowd!
Gimme music that isn't middle of the road u mother!

http://www.myspace.com/silentresistance

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Sometimes weather conditions prevent this so if it was windy, for obvious reasons, they'd have to be lowered.

Not sure if this was the case here but that's generally the main reason (or so I was told by the head of H&S at Reading!)

Journeyman

Postby Journeyman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Please for the love of god ban flags from the arena. They're great in the campsite but as you can tell from Maiden and Rammstein's sets they ruined the views for a lot of people. People were chantting for the flags to be taken down during Maiden but nothing was done even though on the screens it said they weren't allowed.

Deceasednine

Postby Deceasednine » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Ban The flags from the arena only sell them in the camp site and get the security to take them off anyone who tries bringing them in the arena. They ruined my view of iron maiden

blaze_bird

Postby blaze_bird » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Journeyman wrote:Please for the love of god ban flags from the arena. They're great in the campsite but as you can tell from Maiden and Rammstein's sets they ruined the views for a lot of people. People were chantting for the flags to be taken down during Maiden but nothing was done even though on the screens it said they weren't allowed.

Well said Journeyman. There was a bloody huge black flag constantly in front of the right hand screen the during Maiden. I Could see sweet FA so gave up and left early. The message on the screens (about people with flags move to the side or take down your flag) was a joke as no one took any bloody notice at all.

bunter007

Postby bunter007 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm

yup ban the flags, frakking annoying if you not close to the stage....

madasafish

Postby madasafish » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Deceasednine wrote:Ban The flags from the arena only sell them in the camp site and get the security to take them off anyone who tries bringing them in the arena. They ruined my view of iron maiden

Totally agree with this, it spoilt Rammstein, for those of use watching them from half way up the arena.. I didnt pay to watch some numbskull wave a south african flag all night, it just inconsiderate.

mootab

Postby mootab » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Yep another vote here to ban flags from the arena, just when I managed to get a glimpse of Maiden up went a flag and blocked my view again

EvadBlack

Postby EvadBlack » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Agree with the flags comments.

Also programmes/timing laminates. I was the guest camping area and on the Thursday I couldn't find anywhere in the arena that was selling the laminates. It would have been nice to get one then so that we could vaguely get an idea of who we were seeing the following day. It'd also be nice to have programmes to buy - there were a few times over the weekend where I didn't fancy the band on Saturn/Apollo but had no idea what sort of music I was missing out on the minor stages through not knowing anything of the bands.

Festivals: 2003: Leeds -- 2004: Leeds -- 2005: Leeds -- 2006: Leeds -- 2007: Glastonbury, Latitude, Garden Nef Party, Pukkelpop, Reading -- 2008: Reading -- 2009: Sonisphere, Reading -- 2010: Glastonbury, Truck, Sonisphere, Reading

Matt7626

Postby Matt7626 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:29 pm

musicmaker29 wrote:RAISE THE SCREENS! - Why have a stage a gazillion feet high (I am known to exagerate) and then have the screens so near the bottom, a slight bit higher and people below 6 foot woul have actually been able to see them in the crowd!

THIS

But also could there be a screen behind the sound desks ( or maybe just for apollo)

bj.rocke

Postby bj.rocke » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:55 pm

yeah agree on BANNING FLAGS could not see the stage at all at times!

randomgirl666

Postby randomgirl666 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:04 pm

The flags irritated me too. Aside from getting in the way, I saw a couple of people who were drunk in charge of them, one of whom was lowering it back and forth and almost taking people's eyes out.

Punkie

Postby Punkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:28 pm

flags suck. get rid.

mooseyb

Postby mooseyb » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:28 pm

All the different colour wrist bands - the staff didn't really seem to know what allowed who where.

I have the pink RR band on. I'd hoped that would let me in the Jager ice bar, but was told it didnt by the staff. Someone else I know who went stayed in the same site but in the pre-pitched tent bit, and was allowed in? There were about 10 different colours and staff seemed confused by them. Must admit, I am too. RR entry staff didn't also seem to know what colours allowed people into the RR bar.

Should I have been allowed in the jager Ice bar bit??

prayforvillains

Postby prayforvillains » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Make everything louder ... Skindred and Slayer seemed to pointlessly quiet in comparison to Pendulum etc.
whoaalex wrote:i'll let you spit roast me :lol: 8-)

tosh30

Postby tosh30 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

some general obs from last year to this year

1stly had a great time again - met some really great people the weather was great the bands were great

some gripes:
the entrance on thurs - i think there were more people at the fes compared to last year - i maybe wrong however the entrance was the same size also they needed to have a seperate entry for people who had already gone into the camp site and were returning to their cars to get more stuff - this didnt happen and as a result pissed people off as people were queueing people going back out - just general unorganised frakk up - not want you want at the start of the fes

bbqs - got stopped from taking one (one on wheels to raise off the ground) in despite there being no mention on the tickets - then you see loads of disposable ones being used and burning hell outta the ground - just seems like not all the stewards had a clue what was going on!

the sunday night just seemed to be a loads of kids who'd drank to much charging around - needed to be nipped in the bud but wasnt.

a plea for next year - let beer be taken into the arena - the bars will still do a good trade!

apart ffrom that it was great!

Punkie

Postby Punkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Im sure that gas was banned, but there was someone in RR with a full gas BBQ set up feeding the family (yes I know feeding a family is expensive on fest prices)

Are the rules different in RR?

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Flags in front of the stage. Again. l said it last year, saying it again this year. Cheered when I saw the screen message before Maiden to drop the flags - why wasn't this enforced? Ruined Metallica last year (even though I was in the pit for first bit of Metallica, it was still ridiculous) and ruined half of Maiden this year.
Last edited by metallica_girl on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

Wonko The Sane

Postby Wonko The Sane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Punkie wrote:Are the rules different in RR?

No. There was just no enforcement of any rule at all, as far as I could tell.

Wonko The Sane

Postby Wonko The Sane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Flags - I was never particularly bothered by these in arenas (unless some twunt started swinging theirs around like I saw at Leeds about 5 or 6 years ago). Opinion has generally tended to be split 50/50, though recent years I've seen it swing towards the 'ban them' side.

However, they banned them at Download this year and I thought it made a big difference - a definite improvement. I think the general feedback about that was positive too.

My guess is that you'll see them banned at most festivals over the next couple of years.

elaineben

Postby elaineben » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:31 pm

musicmaker29 wrote:RAISE THE SCREENS! - Why have a stage a gazillion feet high (I am known to exagerate) and then have the screens so near the bottom, a slight bit higher and people below 6 foot woul have actually been able to see them in the crowd!

Exactly what I was going to suggest

ILLUSIVEEXISTENCE

Postby ILLUSIVEEXISTENCE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Ban the flags, the left hand side screen had a Japanese flag waving over it, so wasn't getting any good views of Maiden at all, even got clouted on the head by one.
Iron Maiden Sonisphere 2010
Iron Maiden Download 2013

caitlinnmay

Postby caitlinnmay » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:07 pm

blaze_bird wrote:
Journeyman wrote:Please for the love of god ban flags from the arena. They're great in the campsite but as you can tell from Maiden and Rammstein's sets they ruined the views for a lot of people. People were chantting for the flags to be taken down during Maiden but nothing was done even though on the screens it said they weren't allowed.

Well said Journeyman. There was a bloody huge black flag constantly in front of the right hand screen the during Maiden. I Could see sweet FA so gave up and left early. The message on the screens (about people with flags move to the side or take down your flag) was a joke as no one took any bloody notice at all.

I agree completely - the Yorkshire flag totally ruined my view of Maiden as we were towards the back, and the screens were even mostly covered by flags. I'm no midget and I still struggled to see over/under/around. Very annoying. My only other festival has been one where flags were banned in the arena, and now that I have a comparison the former is certainly better.

dfb1999

Postby dfb1999 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Aside from banning the bloody flags, I want to acknowledge the staff at the Welfare tent for being absolutley awesome to me and the incredibly drunk guy who lay down next me after I had a funny turn on Saturday. They all made sure we were both alright whenever they walked past and even provided some friendly conversation. I want to thank them for looking after me.

Return to “2010 Feedback”