VIP/Guest Camping

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
missemma

Re: VIP/Guest Camping

Postby missemma » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:39 pm

I also have been to Download RIP and I admit I did expect the same kind of thing seeing as the prices are very similar. However, it wasn't anything like I expected really. The RR 'backstage' area was alright, but I think from the wording I expected it to be the guest area/hospitality area like Download was.

I was disappointed with the lack of toilets and showers. There were about 12 showers for a very large area of people, I know Guest/Media had their own, but the queues were quite long. The toilets and showers never really seemed that clean either. The one good thing I'll say about the showers is they did seem quite hot most of the time. I'm suprised that it said they had increased the amount of toilets and showers this year, I would hate to see how few they must have had last year.

The organisation of where people parked up was very good, and it was very easy to get your car in and out, although no movement after 8pm seemed a little silly. We had quite a lot of space too and it wasn't too cramped.

The 'goodie bags' were nice, I liked the hair spray although it did attract a lot of wasps ;)

Lucky the security weren't too hot on people only having their BBQ's in the specified areas, because they were stupid. The areas were only big enough for one group of people at a time, bit silly really.

The security in general were rubbish. I had my wristband checked once, really not good. Like everyone else has said no bag searches etc until last minute Sunday, good for me though as I saved so much money taking in my own alcohol.

All in all, I don't think it was worth the £280.

madasafish

Postby madasafish » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 pm

I thought it was a bit poor that the people from Tangerine fields werent seen around the site after about 4.30pm, we also had trouble as did our neighbours with getting answers to questions, as they seemed to have the stock answers of we dont know, or they could ask there manager, who wasnt there...
Also seeing the security guards fast asleep in the podpad tents on sunday made us laugh.
Would have been nice to get something extra as well, and maybe something along the lines of Download where it is a bit more civilised ala quieter after 11 or midnight.

Toilets and showers that work and are clean, are a must have for RR.

The food stalls didnt open at all Friday, and when we walked back from time they where shut..

Overall, though good effort, but MUST do better, and not quite worth the £345 per person for the ready made tent.

Wonko The Sane

Postby Wonko The Sane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Hee hee ... from the website :

As a Rock Royalty customer you be able to enjoy surprisingly clean loos and hot showers all weekend.

I find that funny. I wonder if it's worth considering that a breach of advertising standards.

Oh and ...

Our dedicated staff will be on hand at all times of the day and night to help. If you have any problems in the campsite please ask one of the staff who will assist you. They are easily identifiable by their t-shirts with ‘here to help’ written on the back.

Did anyone see these? To be fair, it may have been just because I was at the far end of the camp.

BangBang!!

Postby BangBang!! » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 pm

I was in a Podpad which was great and the people around us were fantastic - really friendly and it totally made the weekend. Most of them however didn't have a light or phone charging which was promised and considering the price should have been avaialable. They said they would fix it but never did.

The toilets were a disgrace. As always partly down to people who seem to turn into disgusting animals when their mummy lets them go away for a weekend but mainly due to the fact that they weren't cleaned and there were nowhere near enough for the number of people using them. I was in the ordinary campsite last year and judging by the stories I'm glad I wasn't this year. I'd deffo like to do VIP again but there wasn't a great deal to make it seem different

If nothing else sort the bogs out!!
Last edited by BangBang!! on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psymonkee

Postby Psymonkee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 am

I was lured in by the 'park your car by your tent' thing which was awesome (mostly as I'm a lazy bugger)

RR Area/Bar wasn't too bad, good music, quietish bar suited me just nicely.

The toilets I used (in the RR Bar Area) seemed clean enough to me and unlike the normal portloos didn't make me gag everytime I got near.

vinny73

Postby vinny73 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:23 am

What did people make of the Tangerine Fields staff as opposed to Soni security? On entry we were shown to our pitch on Friday lunchtime by a girl swigging a can of strongbow who was clearly there to enjoy herself with her mates before anything else. If we had any questions or issues about the RR camping then we didn't feel the folk sitting around the check in tent would have been that much use.

Overall I thought the toilets were generally good, particularly when you compare it to other festivals where there isn't even a water supply connected! Loo roll was easily obtained from the end of the blocks and the seats were on the whole clean. Shower queues were long at peak times - could've done with more of them - and they could've been cleaner (old sticking plasters and tissues stuck to the floor etc). However, the cleaning of loos and showers began too late on the Sunday.

The RR bar was unexpectedly good - I was anticipating a cordoned off tent rather than a permanent building to eat in with a beer garden front and back.Got busier on the Sunday but still quick to get served. I thought food prices were arguably cheaper here than in the arena - e.g. pie, mash, peas, gravy for a fiver.

So overall I found it pretty good but couldn't say the whole package justified the £350 per skull. I note folk have compared it to the VIP camping to Download - what's better about it? Cleaner, better value for money etc?

PaganWolf

Postby PaganWolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 am

We stayed in the Pod Pads last year, and our charger didn't work either, but then we didn't expect one so it was a bonus even if it had.

This year it was ready made tent.

Next year, if there are the assurances that G4S will have no part of it, then we will go own tent RR. Yes there were more showers than last year (by 4 which isn't much) and more toilets by a block, but really not enough. Still I had a cracking weekend and met some great new friends, yelled buttscratcher a few times. The only thing that will stop me going again are those jokers from G4S.
Please use my FMC code. 1k910316
Lucky enough to be 1 of 83. Join us this year!
www.severedfifth.com

metaltony

Postby metaltony » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:12 pm

We got there about 8pm on the thursday and got our wristbands at the main entrance,asked 4 stewards where the guest/VIP camping site was,not one knew!after walking round for about 30 mins,we stopped a buggy and he dropped us off. next day a couple of lads had the same trouble and one of the stewards asked me where the guest camping was,which i thougt was funny.
Overall i thought most stuff was ok,as its been said before,more toilets and showers,plus they should be cleaned more,we had a great time on the rock royalty area on the first night,but the second day,got refused entry,but we where allowed in the guest area,which i enjoyed,urinal mens toilets,nice bar,they could have had a few more chairs and tables to sit in and outside,but it wasnt a problem.

Rancidpunk_76

Postby Rancidpunk_76 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Didn't do RR myself but chatted to people who had forked out for it - their view was that it wasn't worth the money they'd paid so that sounded like a shame.

Got into the RR bar though and that seemed nicely laid out with a good chilled out vibe.

Deceasednine

Postby Deceasednine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 pm

My only problem with VIP Was the wait for the shuttle bus on the Thursday arrived at 2pm we were told the bus would come at 3pm once it got to 3pm we were told it was 20 Min late then we heard nothing at all then 5pm came there was a few golf carts taking people there 4 people at a time but they never came back so a bunch of us just walked up not a great way to treat VIP

Earl Nuce

Postby Earl Nuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

As other people have said, no one was checking wristbands. I met many people inside who were not VIP. Security needed a rocket up their arses.

We have increased the number of toilets and shows available this year. As a Rock Royalty customer you be able to enjoy surprisingly clean loos and hot showers all weekend.

I'm fairly sure there was the same number of toilets and showers as there were last year, they'd just changed position slightly. Cleanliness was fine until Sunday when they were disgusting, but maybe I should have expected this?
Apart from this the camp site was great. Tent was plenty big enough for the four of us and comfy.

Shuttle buggies and bus were a bit naff. Was quicker to walk than to wait for it on the Thursday and the Saturday when we went to the shops. Needed more of the buggies or a more regular and reliable shuttle bus service.

I had an awesome weekend and would definitely go Rock Royalty again, however I'm unsure where my extra £50 went this year. If anything VIP was to a higher standard last year.
FMC CODE: 1K911195

irishnenglish

Postby irishnenglish » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:39 pm

How much are VIP tickets?
I have returned

mooseyb

Postby mooseyb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 pm

irishnenglish wrote:How much are VIP tickets?

£300 roughly this year. Probably add another £20 for next year.

Earl Nuce

Postby Earl Nuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 pm

irishnenglish wrote:How much are VIP tickets?

£325 each for a ready made tent for 4.
FMC CODE: 1K911195

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Loved it except toilets in the campsite were a bloody joke. Dont think they were cleaned all weekend. No one checked wristbands till sunday afternoon. They must've had a kick up the arse by then but found it amusing that 2 security were having a full blown argument about which colour bands they were supposed to be letting in while at least 20 people just wandered past without being checked. :roll:
Image Image

caitlinnmay

Postby caitlinnmay » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm

We were in Guest Camping so I'm not in a position to comment on VIP/RR but overall we had a fantastic experience this weekend :)

It was only a 5 minute walk from the car to the campsite, and the same again to the arena. I'm sure it was probably abit longer in the regular campsite but after the epic trekking we did to get anywhere at Download this was awesome!

Our wristbands were checked everytime we entered the campsite, whether it was from the arena or the car park. The stewards seemed really friendly and from what we could see were checking everyone. Security also seemed to be pretty good, we saw police patrolling every night, and they too seemed pretty friendly. Although we saw one guy being led away in handcuffs I can only assume this means they were doing their job properly?

There were also enough toilets for the campsite, although if it does increase in size from year to year these will need to be expanded too. We also saw them being cleaned on a couple of occasions, and only once the entire time I used the loos was there no loo roll. A small quibble would be to have the area where the toilets were lit - it happened to be right where the lights didn't cover it, and was too dark to see pretty much anything. It didn't bother us as we didn't use them, but the showers did seem to be quite gross at times, nowhere near as clean as the loos.

Our only issues were when we initially arrived - it was not clearly signposted as to where we collected our wristbands - the guys at the main box office didn't know, and had had the same problem a few times, and when we were in the right place the queues weren't clearly marked either. The only other issue was the compulsory charity charge - it only said on the tickets contributions would be gratefully received. We were happy to contribute, but we felt it should have been made clear that the charge was a compulsory £20. We were more than happy to pay the compulsory amount, but the amount and it's nature should be made clearer - I tend not to carry alot of cash at festivals and I'm sure others are the same.

Overall the festival and our campsite had a great atmosphere and in general great amenities - we had an epic weekend and the music was fantastic! :)

McEmma

Postby McEmma » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:13 am

I have also been to RIP at Download for the last couple of years and was expecting a similar experience I to was very disappointed. :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x
The worst thing was the Toilets and Showers the were not been cleaned or properly maintained over the weekend which made the lack of them even worse. You need to quadruple the number of Toilets and Showers in the camping area.

There also needs to at least double the number of toilets in the bar area. The Staff in the Rock Royalty Bar were nice, although the area got worse as guys started pissing round the edge. The breakfast was rubbish I only when once after that I when to stalls. It would have been good if you could have joined up the RR bar and the guest area walking round on Monday it was clear how easy it would have been.
The 'goodie bags' were poor compared to DL.

Security - was very poor, not checking bags at first and then when the did you were standing on a road while they did it.

Tent next to the car was the only really benefit paying extra.

As other people have said it is a Shame that VIP camping was so rubbish, as the rest of the festival was excellent. Next year Download will be getting my cash first and then if the line up is really good I will consider going again but I don't know about doing VIP again.

elaineben

Postby elaineben » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:47 am

Second year in Rock Royalty and had a brilliant weekend.

It took a long time to get checked in on the Thursday a long
queue into a one door portacabin, very unorganised but could
easily be sorted out.

Toilets were a let down, after last years moans I did think there
was going to be an improvement, but there was not. They weren't
cleaned all weekend, disgusting.

Security.......what a mess. Wristbands not checked often enough,
nice to see police doing the rounds, had a word with a couple of them
when we saw some dodgy looking people hanging around tents. I think the fencing
thats around RR isn't good enough anybody seemed to be able to get through.

Nice to have the food stalls on the site, just a shame they weren't open Monday
morning, that would have been great.

I would love to be able to bring gas cookers onto RR as I think we are all mature
enough people to be trusted, saw a massive gas BBQ at the top of the campsite
so why not.

Goodie bag quite nice, but had to laugh about the dry shampoo and hair spray
as I thought aerosols were banned from site.

All in all we had the best time, being camped by the VIPers was great, will be there again
next year, but please listen to peoples moans and do something about it.

missemma

Postby missemma » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Also, it is a shame there isn't any campsite shop on site incase you want to get some milk, bread etc. You should look into it again next week.

markyg

Postby markyg » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:50 pm

missemma wrote:Also, it is a shame there isn't any campsite shop on site incase you want to get some milk, bread etc. You should look into it again next week.

Next week?? :o :o

If we are comparing RR to RIP (Download), here`s where RR falls down:

Download has fixed toilets and showers. You have the portacabins as well but the fixed showers are like £1. Obvioulsy, given the location fixed showers and toilets aren`t gonna happen at Sonisphere. I would say however the showers and toilets in RIP are maintained and cleaned far more often.

Both have an indoor bar area which are equally as good IMO.

The goodie bags for RIP tend to be better quality with more stuff. Things that have been given away previoulsy include RIP t-shirts, line-up t-shirts, blankets (?), RIP branded plastic pint cups, ear plugs, radio, vanity mask etc.

RIP has a curfew of 11 o'clock which is brilliant IMO. Allows you to actually get some shut eye when needed although saying that RR was pretty quiet anyway.

They are both within spitting distance of the arena.

RIP has an onsite shop selling, water, milk, sweets, etc. Very much like the general shop in the arena.

The only other main difference is in price. RIP is a good bit more expensive, I think around £70.

That`s about it. Hope this helps and goes towards improvements next year.
99% of what I say is sarcastic. The other 3% is a lie. You decide.
Official Butt Squeezer of "The 83"
CAMP LYM - THE CAMP THAT NEEDS NO THREAD
Will dance for food or beer

mooseyb

Postby mooseyb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:32 pm

markyg wrote:RIP has a curfew of 11 o'clock which is brilliant IMO. Allows you to actually get some shut eye when needed although saying that RR was pretty quiet anyway.

Is that enforced? Not been RIP so don't know.

elaineben

Postby elaineben » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31 pm

mooseyb wrote:
markyg wrote:RIP has a curfew of 11 o'clock which is brilliant IMO. Allows you to actually get some shut eye when needed although saying that RR was pretty quiet anyway.

Is that enforced? Not been RIP so don't know.

RIP curfew is 1am and is enforced quite well, used to be 12 but after
a few boardies asked they changed it to 1am.
Works really well. Been RIP the last 3 years.

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 pm

markyg wrote:has a curfew of 11 o'clock which is brilliant IMO. Allows you to actually get some shut eye when needed although saying that RR was pretty quiet anyway.

Ironically I do believe WE were the only ones making noise at night mark!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shut eye....sure didnt you spend most of sunday reading a book...what would you need sleep for aswell hahahah! ;)
My FMC Number:1k992916 DO NOT miss Sonisphere 2014- be there..be part of the magic!!!

ImageImage

markyg

Postby markyg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 am

Fifi wrote:
markyg wrote:has a curfew of 11 o'clock which is brilliant IMO. Allows you to actually get some shut eye when needed although saying that RR was pretty quiet anyway.

Ironically I do believe WE were the only ones making noise at night mark!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shut eye....sure didnt you spend most of sunday reading a book...what would you need sleep for aswell hahahah! ;)

Wheesht you!! You shouldn`t have been in there anyway!! Back to scum camping with you :twisted:
99% of what I say is sarcastic. The other 3% is a lie. You decide.
Official Butt Squeezer of "The 83"
CAMP LYM - THE CAMP THAT NEEDS NO THREAD
Will dance for food or beer

Fluffmeister

Postby Fluffmeister » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Also regular at RIP Download and for the cost of RR I was disgusted!!!

Lets see RIP = £365/1200 people. what do you get = 20 showers, 20 toilets, a pub, you can use gazebos/gas, the VIP bar, park by tent and the goodie bag has at least £70 worth of goods and sexy VIP lanyard. Toilets and showers are kept clean, so clean in fact that a toilet attendant stands there all day to check you have loo roll etc. Also, no common camp people just walking in and out - security was an absoloute sham! It also has a kerfew and yes the bar is open until 3am at least.

RR = £280/1000 people what do you get = 5-8 showers, 15 toilets never cleaned! Goodie bag with a tshirt, lanyard and hairspray! Hairspray! wtf - why not have things ear plugs, alcohol hand wash, rain poncho, tooth brush etc and your shirt and maybe a proper RR lanyard. Download also give you a cuddly toy of the mascot, a pint cup and other little general merch you would normally buy at the merch tent.

On arrival, seriously does it really take over 10 mins to check 1 person in! My friends were queuing from around 3.00pm, I held them a space and they didnt get in until 6.30pm, space gone. It doesnt take that long to tick someone off a list and give them a ruddy wristband!

RR should also get discount of merch too!

thats my 2 cents for now - you must sort RR out if you want to charge that ridiculous amount!

Return to “2010 Feedback”