VIP/Guest Camping

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
rockgeek

VIP/Guest Camping

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 am

:?:

rockgeek

Re: VIP/Guest Camping

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:39 am

No real issues but I did see people just walk in and out the guest/media camping without getting checked. Me being one of them.

Also, need less idiots accusing me of breaking into my own tent and then calling the police

Tambam

Postby Tambam » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:11 am

rockgeek wrote:Also, need less idiots accusing me of breaking into my own tent and then calling the police

:lol: Fools

mooseyb

Postby mooseyb » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:28 am

Security need a serious kick.

It wasn't until Sunday that they actually bothered checking people's wristbands. Anyone could have wandered into the VIP campsite, and on Saturday there were loads of none-vip people. Not very secure.

Also, they didn't bother checking people's bags at all, and whilst I'm not really bothered bout that as it meant I could just nip back to the tent for a few cans and save some cash, I'm sure they're paid to check, and didn't until Sunday. We weren't checked once before Sunday night.

The VIP area generally though was great, and I'll be doing it next year. Great places to camp, good people, the bar was quality. Had great fun in the mushrooms and on the dino-slides!

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:45 am

I wouldn't suggest a kick is the best thing. You also need to decide whether it was a good thing about the bag checking.

I think not checking bags is a good thing - until something bad happens. At the end of the day, bag checking, like passport control, only stops the good people. Any nasty poopholes will find a way to get in regardless.

I think security need to step in when needed rather than all the time.

Dunno.

mooseyb

Postby mooseyb » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:51 am

rockgeek wrote:I wouldn't suggest a kick is the best thing. You also need to decide whether it was a good thing about the bag checking.

I think not checking bags is a good thing - until something bad happens. At the end of the day, bag checking, like passport control, only stops the good people. Any nasty poopholes will find a way to get in regardless.

Dunno.

Kick = sarcasm. You know what I mean.

I agree that bag checks are fine as I say, meant I could take my own cans in. Didn't agree with them completely failing to check anyone's wrist bands. If they don't, what's the point in paying for the VIP bar and campsite if anyone can wander onto it. If they're not going to, it wouldn't be difficult to work out a way for a party to camp VIP for the cost of normal camping really!

Jasonisback

Postby Jasonisback » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:18 pm

I was able to get into VIP pretty easy but i had a black FMC band. Not sure if they were just looking for pink but either way i got in without a problem.

The guest area was pretty strict from the front. Getting round the back was fairly hard but i had a press band and was able to take a mate to meet good charlotte
rockgeek wrote:You're not old enough to drink - you probably could go for free thinking about it

meisterbud

Postby meisterbud » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:44 pm

I've been to RIP at Download for the last couple of years and was expecting a similar experience - alas I was disappointed on many levels.

Security getting into the VIP camping area was almost non existent on Thu, Fri and Sat.

'Backstage' area - well it's not really back stage is it? Bar closed just after 1am on the Saturday night - ridiculously early - plenty of people wanting to carry on. Would have expected at least 2 or 3 in the morning closing (ala Download) and any other rock club around. The 'Rock Disco' was playing JLS when we walked in after Rammstein and they had to be told to improve the music, which they kinda did but it was an effort....... The DJs were supposed to be promoting their new club night at the Highbury Garage - I won't be rushing along (but at least you can drink there till 4 in the morning!).

Food - ah - the redeeming feature. Food in the 'Backstage' area was pretty good, with the lamb kebab a winner on Sat and Sunday night. The sausages were pretty good too.

Bar - Mostly good - quick service. Jack and Coke from cans a total rip off. Getting it ready made with proper coke was much cheaper but they refused to serve it like that on many an occasion. It was on the price list as seperate items so a complaint was made and we eventually got our way - don't need that sort of hassle though.

Toilets - Not enough of them and badly maintained. in the camping area. Urinals would probably have helped alot. Some regal camper decided that there weren't enough and made his point by utilising one of the showers..... classy.... In the backstage area - again not enough. For some reason the proper toilets were blocked off - and people going up against the fence in a kiddies play area - just not good enough really.

ever

Postby ever » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Wow, security didn't stop people getting into the VIP camping? Oh no! Us commoners are obviously only there to seal from those who have more, not. I myself went in there with friends a couple of times, which is prob why other people did the same, just to see friends. I'm sure security would have stopped people with tents and sleeping bags from using the VIP camping area. And to top it, many tents had stuff stolen from them, in both the regular and VIP areas, it happens, especially if you are dumb enough to keep valuables in there!

Anyways with regard to the VIP area:

Any consideration yet to offer guest area tickets for sale which don't include camping? I'm sure some people who live locally would buy them.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:04 pm

meisterbud wrote:Security getting into the VIP camping area was almost non existent on Thu, Fri and Sat..
Yup

meisterbud wrote:'Backstage' area - well it's not really back stage is it?
Did Kili say it was actually backstage? backstage is boring anyway, just a field of trucks.

Food - ah - the redeeming feature. Food in the 'Backstage' area was pretty good, with the lamb kebab a winner on Sat and Sunday night. The sausages were pretty good too.

Bar - Mostly good - quick service. Jack and Coke from cans a total rip off. Getting it ready made with proper coke was much cheaper but they refused to serve it like that on many an occasion. It was on the price list as seperate items so a complaint was made and we eventually got our way - don't need that sort of hassle though.

meisterbud wrote:Toilets - Not enough of them and badly maintained. in the camping area. Urinals would probably have helped alot. Some regal camper decided that there weren't enough and made his point by utilising one of the showers..... classy.... In the backstage area - again not enough. For some reason the proper toilets were blocked off - and people going up against the fence in a kiddies play area - just not good enough really.
I thought they were per.... fine

meisterbud

Postby meisterbud » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Did Kili say it was actually backstage? backstage is boring anyway, just a field of trucks.

The Sonisphere website calls it the:

"ROCK ROYALTY BACKSTAGE AREA"

That does tend to conjour images of mixing with some of the bands and getting something a little special (kinda like RIP area at DL).

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Assumptions are bad but I guess it wouldn't hurt Kili to define it more

bunter007

Postby bunter007 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:46 pm

the security not checking bags was a touch! i spent £70 on drink on the friday night so taking in my own on the saturday kinda eased the pain a little. :D

Wonko The Sane

Postby Wonko The Sane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:07 pm

As a regular in Download RIP, like the poster above I expected something vaguely equivalent - certainly the prices are about the same. But the experiences are just incomparable. The main reason we went to this camp was to keep the car next to the tent - and that worked fine - but I didn't get much else out of the extra money.

Liked the bar area, but didn't actually use it. Didn't really need to - Soni is very well equipped for bars and seating etc, and with the camp so close to the arena (a great benefit, by the way), if I was looking for somewhere out of the arena to chill and drink for a while I just went back to the tent.

Showers were pretty good - went when there was no queue and so got a good, warm soak. Would have been nice if they were cleaned at some point over the weekend, though.

Toilets - inadequate and hardly maintained. Very poor. I've had worse, but expected better for the cost.

Security - useless (commented on another thread about that).

So, in general - needs a lot of work if it's going to be as good as equivalent packages at other festivals. Or they should just realise that they can't provide that level and cut the price.

Still - had a great weekend. Was lucky enough to have a great bunch of neighbours - which really helps at a festival.

mootab

Postby mootab » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Really enjoyed the weekend and having the car next to the tent is always good.

But the toilets and showers were awful, showering with a load of cig butts and beer cans is not nice. The showers didnt seem to be cleaned all weekend and as for the delightful person that decided to use the shower as a toilet well words fail me.

Prefer RIP at Download as an overall experience but as I said above still enjoyed it

PaganWolf

Postby PaganWolf » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Security - were worse than poor. All they did was stop people walking to let all the vehicles through, sometimes we were stood there for ages. On Saturday night I asked one of the kids they hired why he wasn't checking wristbands. He said he was, I said that I know he wasn't as both me and my hubby just walked past him. His response? Well that bloke over there isn't doing it either! Oh silly me, my mistake! They were as bad last year as well. If they are going to be used next year I will seriously rethink going. Also the bag checking was ridiculous. There was glass bottles in the arena, as well as millions of cans. TBH if you want to make money out of the concessions, you need to make the security do their job.

Toilets, more than last year, so thanks. Really really need more though. Also the bright spark that thought it was a good idea to leave the toilet rolls on the end of a block? Well that poor tree will probably never recover!

Burger van - for that I love you, and I am sure a lot of the others do too. Class.

Fire pits - They weren't used much and it was never enforced. Kind of pointless and saved no grass.

Gazebos - They were banned right? WRONG. Again I didn't bring one, and they were everywhere. If you make rules please make sure they are enforced or people will just break them all.
Please use my FMC code. 1k910316
Lucky enough to be 1 of 83. Join us this year!
www.severedfifth.com

pulpquango

Postby pulpquango » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:13 pm

rockgeek wrote:I wouldn't suggest a kick is the best thing. You also need to decide whether it was a good thing about the bag checking.

Dunno.

^^My view in the main. Pro active security patrolling the RR camping seemed thin on the ground on Sunday night though.
With a couple of very specific and pretty insignificant exceptions where more training would have been a good idea, I have to say that the security this year were professional, courteous and helpful. The place felt extremely safe and well mannered.

martin13

Postby martin13 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Wonko The Sane wrote:Liked the bar area, but didn't actually use it. Didn't really need to - Soni is very well equipped for bars and seating etc, and with the camp so close to the arena (a great benefit, by the way), if I was looking for somewhere out of the arena to chill and drink for a while I just went back to the tent.

Showers were pretty good - went when there was no queue and so got a good, warm soak. Would have been nice if they were cleaned at some point over the weekend, though.

Toilets - inadequate and hardly maintained. Very poor. I've had worse, but expected better for the cost.

Security - useless (commented on another thread about that).

So, in general - needs a lot of work if it's going to be as good as equivalent packages at other festivals. Or they should just realise that they can't provide that level and cut the price.

Pretty much said it for me

Jart

Postby Jart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Queued for 35 minutes for wrist band and goodystuff - not good.

When we got into the portacabin there was little room and the 3 people they had to check us in were all trying to talk at once. Please do something to organise this better.

The toilets were stinky and disgusting, other festivals get it right in the vip areas, providing clean flush loos with attendants to maintain them - Rock Royalty not.

Jart

Postby Jart » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm

And another thing...

Please locate your campsites where there is more than 3" of soil over a "concrete" base - the RR area we were in was a horror for this and we wasted ages trying to relocate the tent pegs.

The Crunch

Postby The Crunch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Was it any different to standard? It seemed much like standard at Download.

mrpondlife

Postby mrpondlife » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm

My two pennith worth (this being my second year).....

Camping......Last year I stayed in the 'Bell Pads' which was very nice but this year decided to bring my own tent and pitch next to the car.
This was very well organised and very hand indeed. We were allowed to work out how much room we needed for the tents then position our cars accordingly (not takin the mick of course) Nice helpful staff for this.

Toilet...Bloody joke! :( There were no where near enough for the VIP camping, they were cleaned maybe once...they were broken and totally rank. They were also positioned at just one end of the site. There needs to be several blocks at least, one each end maybe and one half way?? and please please please clean the bloody things! the ones in the arena were a million times better, well maintained and had 'toilet monkeys' lookin after them constantly. We're paying more for the VIP camping so surely we should have decent toilets at the least. how come there was 'posh loo's' in the basic campsite?? Seems rediculous we pay extra for very little benefit.

Showers....Yet again no where near enough, queues started at 6am and were almost there all day. Never cleaned either and several were 'out of action' so to speak. :(

Burger bars inside camping area.....Brilliant and very welcome. Shame they didn't stay open on Monday morning as they would have made some cash :) Very nice friendly people too.

Security....Saw 2 police officers on Sunday night walking through VIP camping......and that was the only presence we saw. None on Friday or Saturday.
Checking the wrist bands.......I did see a lot of that to be honest but they mainly wanted to stop you getting run over (which is fair enough of course :) ) As to bag checking....yep only happened on Sunday. Loads of cans in the arean all weekend...

The 'cooking area's were ignored totally and people just used 'Tesco disposable bbq' or in some cases proper ones outside their tents. Needs to be clearer what you can take (examples please) But noone was checking so you could easily have used gas ones and no one would have known!

Gazebos/umbrellas.....I was told they were banned....but saw them everywhere. Was annoyed as I would have liked to have brought one.

Apart from all that moaning (lol) Really enjoyed myself and Rammstein were amazing...so were Pendulum) I just hope the team take note of the pointers in this thread and address these things as they would make it soo much better! :)

Punkie

Postby Punkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Are we to assume this covers Rock Royalty too?

Well, you didnt really get a lot extra for your money. However, the convenience of the tent next to the car is a god-send.

Noone was checking wristbands at all until sunday...noone was checking bags until sunday (which is a bit of a double edged sward because we cottoned onto it and took advantage of it on the saturday with a few warm cans)

I would have liked to think that the VIP and Rock Royalty were going to be one and the same, but they weren't, which is a shame.

Tuckerg

Postby Tuckerg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:45 pm

When we got into the arena, the security didn't know where to put us. They eventually told us to set up at the end of the row way past the white lines. Our tents stuck out into the main walkway way more than anyone elses. It's hardly surprising that every night, people tripped over our tent ropes and banged into our tent. Saturday, when we got back from the arena, our tent was down and a pole was smashed.

We were told by a couple of police officers that someone had been assaulted in the Rock Royalty campsite which is why they had police on horses there. They also mentioned that loads of people were in there that weren't supposed to be. We met one of these people who even boasted about how he managed to get in without any trouble at all.

The toilets were no better than the toilets in standard camping in other festivals.

Rock Royalty Bar was a nice area, and it was great to be able to here the bands from there, but surely it should have had some real ale.

Shame really, as the rest of the festival was excellent.

lisaloo

Postby lisaloo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:47 pm

I stayed in a pod pad, we were supposed to have solar powered lights and phone/mp3 charger, none of which worked, there was also no one around to sort things out either.
We need more toilets and showers, and someone to clean them, fill toilet roll up etc.
The security into/from the arena was useless although into the bar area they were good.
The bar area was great and the food was good and cheaper than the arena, but at nearly £500 a ticket I kinda expected clean working toilets and not to queue for ever to get a shower.

Return to “2010 Feedback”