Security

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
swindonforever

Re: Security

Postby swindonforever » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:24 pm

It was good to see police at times walking through the areas in blue to try and deter people but it wasnt enough, until the idiots doing it get arrested or see one of their mates getting arrested they wont stop

BangBang!!

Postby BangBang!! » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 pm

swindonforever wrote:It was good to see police at times walking through the areas in blue to try and deter people but it wasnt enough, until the idiots doing it get arrested or see one of their mates getting arrested they wont stop

Absolutely agree with this. Been going to Donington since the mid 80's but will absolutely not stay in the campsite there due to these morons. Sonisphere really needs to nip it in the bud now or it will just deteriorate further. Start chucking people out properly or arrest the worst offenders. And yeah, I know I sound like an old fart (mainly because I am! :music-headbanger: ) but the atmosphere last year was great and I loved it - don't spoil it because a few idiots have had 3 cans of Woodpecker.

kazz

Postby kazz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 pm

the security guy in bohemia was lovely. he was standing to the left of the stage (where the equipment came through the back) during sick of it all and then had to move to the other side of the stage. he was really nice. when he stood on the platform-y thing, he asked the people behind him if they could see okay.

i was really impressed with security this year. but that might just be me.

:)
roll on madness and the offspring @ soni 2013!! =D
please use alex's fmc code 1k915233 when booking your ticket. thankies :D

mufczach

Postby mufczach » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:37 pm

While thankful that security didn't make me feel like i was living in Nazi Germany, a lot of stuff was dealt with very, very wrong in my eyes. Before all the "Spartan" idiots that were running around last night started fires and such, they were approached by 2 security guards. they soon realised they heavily outnumbered them and I think that's when it all really started to kick off and police had to get involved. Whilst not particularly scared of the idiots it was disappointing after having such a good time last year and most of this to have it almost ruined by a bunch of 50+ people whos idea of fun is "LOL I'VE HAD 2 CANS OF STELLA I CAN NOW DO WHATEVER I WANT COS I'M DRUNK AND ITS FUNNY I'M A VIKING hump AND PILLAGE SPARTANS WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION"

snoopy

Postby snoopy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Security checks getting into the arena - Each time my bag was just glanced at. Carrying food and water for 3 meant my bag was pretty big but security just weren't bothered, I could have had anything in there!

Lots of people taking in cans and glass bottles. Even saw empty bottles of champagne on the floor. Security were letting 'artist/vip/whatever people coming from the back of Saturn' through with glass bottles and cans. It's ok until something seriously goes wrong... the warnings were there just no one bothered until it was too late.

Someone ended up with a bloody ear after being hit by a plastic bottle during Pendulum and I passed her a packed of wet wipes. Would've been alot worse if this was a can or glass bottle. Rules like these really do need tightening up. They're paid to search people but just not bothering.

Sunday night my son took a packet of glow sticks into the arena, security saw them and went "Oooo sparklers can I have one for later?" :?

Didn't see the rioters although saw a few hose pipes laid out on our way back to camp Sunday night , it looked like trouble was expected so we got back to Family as soon as we could. It's a shame these people spoil the final night like this :(

Anthonytats

Postby Anthonytats » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Security was fine IMO.
I kinda enjoyed the sunday night, dunno why but it just seemed like a laugh...
They ran past the tent me and a couple people were raving in and just were making noise.
Im sure they only set their own tents on fire?

The police didnt do anything because there was nothing they could do if people were destroying their own property.
If you have got fires going around camps your going to get police presence. It says quite clearly no campfires so what do you expect.

King_Walnut wrote:There was pepper spray in the mongoose camp.

Yeah ok.
GearsCT wrote:You have such a huggable face

fade_to_jack wrote:i love anthony, he is my favourite boardie from sonisphere :bow-yellow:

rudy691

Postby rudy691 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 pm

security at the gates on Thursday was an effing joke...spent 3 hours in the queue just to realise they didnt do any bag checks...LOADS of gazebos, gas canisters blowing up after Maidens set and bottles on site...

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Anthonytats wrote:

Yeah ok.

I'm not arguing with that anymore, gooseberry's unimportant and been argued already.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

swindonforever

Postby swindonforever » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Anthonytats wrote:Security was fine IMO.
They ran past the tent me and a couple people were raving in and just were making noise.

The police didnt do anything because there was nothing they could do if people were destroying their own property.
If you have got fires going around camps your going to get police presence. It says quite clearly no campfires so what do you expect.

Yeah ok.

Its not true thats there nothing the police could do if people were destroying their own property, in some instances they were endangering other peoples safety so police should be stepping in there

Earl Nuce

Postby Earl Nuce » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:26 pm

They started checking people's pockets for drinks on the Sunday. This was annoying.
FMC CODE: 1K911195

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:49 pm

A) better people on entry gate please - walked through with four large bags and none of which were checked, the five people camping with me had about 6 bags between them including three huge-ass army rucksacks - again none were checked or them questioned about their contents

B) were there any sniffer dogs this year? I didn't personally see any?
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

markyg

Postby markyg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm

You must have been drunk when you posted this tosh.

Laughable. Purely laughable.
99% of what I say is sarcastic. The other 3% is a lie. You decide.
Official Butt Squeezer of "The 83"
CAMP LYM - THE CAMP THAT NEEDS NO THREAD
Will dance for food or beer

BLC

Postby BLC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Erm. What? They might have only been setting their own tents on fire, but you do know that fire spreads, right? The materials that tents are made of tends to catch fire very easily. The material also tends to melt when it burns and very easily sticks to the skin. If you've ever seen a row of tents catch fire in the middle of the night with people asleep in them, you wouldn't think it's quite so much fun.

We didn't stay the last night - same as last year - and it sounds like we made the right choice. They need to stamp this sort of gooseberry out very quickly and keep it under control, otherwise it'll end up with the same sort of reputation that Leeds/Reading et al have.

Rock Royalty for me next year.

I found the security quite lax this year. Pretty much every time we went into the arena last year, the missus had her bag searched. That happened once this year, and only on the Sunday. We managed to get a litre bottle of vodka & orange in her bag on the Saturday without security batting an eyelid. The gate checks seemed rather daft too, I hardly saw anyone get their bags checked.

Alien8n

Postby Alien8n » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Mixed thoughts on this. Going into the arena was actually not too bad, was checked for wristbands pretty much all the time. Staff were fairly relaxed regarding alcohol being taken in during the day, but most people at 1pm are still sober enough to realise a can of beer goes in the bin when empty. Should probably have checked the bags more though for extra cans, allowing 1 through is ok in my mind but you don't want someone taking 6 or 8 cans in with them.

Security at night though was appalling. Maybe a handful of plain clothes scattered around the tents along with the normal cops? (but with some specific instructions to look specifically for thieves, not to follow any personal vendettas against anyone with long hair, police round here are swine for their attitudes towards anyone wearing leathers).

Cazzy

Postby Cazzy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm

More security was needed and perhaps to be changed?!

Sunday night was a nightmare. Me and some friends didn't go to sleep in fear of our stuff being set alite!

I was also told by a number of people that there were folk just blagging their way into any areas of the festival. The people I knew that were doing it are trustworthy folk, so it was nae bother to me in that respect - however if it had been someone not so trustworthy who got into artist liaison then things could've gone horribly wrong...
Please use FMC Code 1k934556 when purchasing your ticket - It's appreciated!

TheResurrectionist

Postby TheResurrectionist » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:02 pm

The Sunday night started out just as 7 pissed guys party boying people as they walked down the main hill towards the exit; that's all it was. Once they'd accidentally picked up a bunch of pirates who turned out to be not all there mentally; that's when stuff started going down. After the guy with all the Arnie quotes written all over his body and shouting Get To The Choppa was taken away; the pirates (and everyone else) had absolutely no one left to control them.

By the way; the the original 7 party boyers had absolutely nothing to do with any of the fires and damage to any bodies property, they were just seven drunk kids having a fun time.

DadandLad

Postby DadandLad » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm

This is my take on the security, when we arrived early on Thursday afternoon it took nearly an hour and half to get through the checks at the SOUTH entrance. I think the security started to check every bag until the back log of people got to great, more security people check would be a good idea.

On drugs in the festival you will never stop it I could only smell skunk in the arena so it could have come in anywhere.

We set up camp on Blue 5 but at the entrance to the camp site the security told me I could not take in my small fold up BBQ, it takes a 1Kgs bag of charcoal or you can sit a disposable BBQ on the mesh so not to burn the grass.
I did see a lot of scorched grass over the weekend, I was also told that Gazebos were not allowed I didn't understand why but there you go. I have asked for clarity on the BBQ before on another thread and did comply with security the two security lads I spoke to about the BBQ even got on the walky talky to higher people but was told it was not allowed so it stayed at the entrance to the camp site.

I also had two hexi stoves with fuel cells which got in, the two security lads at the entrance seemed to be very embarrassed about the situation and later after I had dismantled the BBQ and carried it pass the security at the top entranced, I had a conversation with one of them he was very knowledgeable about security and couldn't understand the ban. (Can some one higher up explain)

The only other time I did take issue with the security was when one at the entrance to the Arena he did seem drunk or worse for something else tried to go in my pockets, unless you have a warrant card and paper work to search me its a no no. I put bad security down to bad staff selection and poor training.

Sunday night the gang of people around us had been great all weekend they bought two disposable BBQ from the super store down the road and did give of a lot of smoke, even three security asked us if we had any water to put it out, which we did and any one reading this will remember my BBQ it kept us warm all the nights.

All in all the security was OK but some needed more vetting and more training plus at times more of them.

I did see tents on fire in the Blue camp and would have stepped in if any would have been on fire near me.

sfug

Postby sfug » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:46 pm

I was in the Rock Royalty camping area and found the security to be friendly EXCEPT on Sunday morning when a bunch of wannabee kids turned up and spoke to (not just me) in the rudest way all weekend. Give them a high-vis and the (not that they have any) power goes to their head.

It's just a suggestion, but employing people over the age of 30-35 or so would be better as, in my opinion, employing kids that don't even look 20 yet is not good for public order. If I hadn't waited all weekend to see maiden, I would've decked one of them.

wikkid_devil

Postby wikkid_devil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:48 pm

What concerned me was the next morning. Around 6am we were talking to a couple of the security guards. They looked up at a small party of 4 walking through the camp site and told us "here comes the organiser with a photographer".

This 'organiser' walked over to the fire blackened debris in Blue 3, had a good laugh with the others, and then had his photo taken, standing by the debris holding up a flaming lighter.

Nice to see them taking it all seriously, especially for those of us up all night on fire watch (as no one official seemed to be bothering).

WTF?!

sfug

Postby sfug » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:55 pm

It seems to me that they need to employ people that enjoy the music and enjoy the scene, not just a bunch of knuckle-dragging mongs that look like they'd rather be anywhere else (like Yates' on a friday night fight).

The police were great but most of the security as far as I could tell were either rude or couldn't GAF

shadowofsorrow

Postby shadowofsorrow » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:01 pm

0908 i Think his name was craig who worked for G4S certainly was one of the few guards there that actually did the job right. Certainly one of the best guards I have come across during a festival. Deserves alot of credit and kept me entertained most of the weekend.

some guards I had trouble with and didn't want to know at all when I asked for water and directions. They could have searched people better as well. Like someone else in the forum I spotted a few people smoking weed.

other than that didn't have much trouble

RAF Rozzer

Postby RAF Rozzer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:27 am

Anthonytats wrote:The police didnt do anything because there was nothing they could do if people were destroying their own property.

From Section 1(2) of the Criminal Damage Act 1971:

(2) A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages
any property, whether belonging to himself or another

-
(a) intending to destroy or damage any property or being
reckless as to whether any property would be destroyed
or damaged
; and

(b) intending by the destruction or damage to endanger the
life of another or being reckless as to whether the life
of another would be thereby endangered
;
shall be guilty of an offence.

In other words, setting fire to your own tent near occupied tents would be an offence, hence the police have the right in law to act. I did see (blue 1) security staff go in and extinguish fires, although they first observed what folk were doing rather than going in mob-handed and overreacting to a tiny fire.
If you think you can prevent it by burying your head under a blanket of shit, fine. - Sean Connery, Meteor, 1979.

gazab41

Postby gazab41 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:11 am

The Security were a total Mixed bag as a rule found most of diamond and man profesional and friendly as a rule however there were issues and I found a lot of these out from talking to security has I had to get access to production on Sunday morning to discuss one of my Acts who have been offered download festival 2011 but belive Sonisphere would suit them better and I find download organiser a pain from years of knowing him on and off.

I must say thanks to the one security team on production gate for getting me a coffee on saturday night and also explaining what info they had been given a lot of the team on sunday were from gu4 if spelt correctly and this company employs a lot of what you would class as heavys.

some of the wristband issues were due to even staff not having them on thursday afternoon and not being inform of band colour info as informed by the one team who gave me a lift to disabled as was sent through wrong gate as for searching everyone rucksacks etc that would of been stupid as people havepacked things up and in some cases if it was all pulled out could take 1/2 hr to repack ban on gas burners of deodrent/hairspray is stupid just more control over people getting out of hand would be good people need to have common sense re fires on crowded camp sites tents burn and do you want deaths/serious injuries on hands. I belive hexi stoves and barbeques are also dangerous and belive gas cookers far safer these only banned becuse stupidity at download etc . the small fire that king walnut refers to was the one on the loner camp which got even me worried as well as a number of others dont remember police hourse mind think that was the big fire camp fighting mongouse i was getting water ready to through on it luckly fire marshals put it out just be sensible all.

HighestEchelon

Postby HighestEchelon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:32 am

When I arrived, bags were being checked (we went through the entrance from Guest parking), but when it came to me, the bag checker wandered off somewhere.
My wristband was only checked ONCE the whole weekend. I have about 10 wristbands on my arm so I purposely hid this years sonisphere one to see if I can get away with it. I even wandered around backstage and got into the guest area. On sunday, I had a strongbow bandana around my wrist, so there wasn't even one wristband in sight on me, but I still got in and out of the arena!
Also It is sooo easy to smuggle beer into the arena.

The Toad

Postby The Toad » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:27 am

Security was mixed. Coming in our bags weren't checked, and as many people have said we could have been bringing anything in! This was at 2pm on Friday as well, so it wasn't like they were busy. In the arena it seemed quite good, and i always had my wristband checked. I even saw some people being turned away from the campsite for having the wrong bands. My girlfriends bag got a cursory check each time we went in, but it would have been possible to hide a few drinks easily.

In the campsite itself - well, security seemed lax. I saw two people jump the fence on Saturday night between two security points. Security also seemed to be reluctant to deal with the problems on Sunday night, which got quite out of hand and intimidated a lot of people.

Finally, the police presence was quite impressive, although I think the mounted polie were a bit of an overkill. Having them stationed on horseback just inside the campsite entrance after the headliners had finished was unnecessary.

Overall, I'd say that security need to be more pro-active in the campsite, or thee festival is going to get a reputation like Download, or even worse Reading. Which would be a shame because it's a great festival otherwise.
Obligatory festival list:
Ozzfest 98, 01, 02
Reading 98, 99, 06
Big Day Out 99
Download 03, 04
V 03
Bloodstock 08, 09
Hammerfest 09
Guilfest 09
Sonisphere 09, 10
Hard Rock Hell 09

Return to “2010 Feedback”