Security

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
King_Walnut

Re: Security

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 pm

There was pepper spray in the mongoose camp.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

Eyeless

Postby Eyeless » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm

x-tempus wrote:well......judging by the scenes in Blue2 on Sunday night, security were gooseberry!

My tent got slashed and got all sort of gooseberry thrown on it.

pagan_writes

Postby pagan_writes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Martii wrote:Was petrified in the campsite. So so scared. Making me double think about wanting to go next year

You weren't the only one - we were camped a couple of tents away from the fire in blue 3 and no-one got any sleep that night; one of the girls with us was at her first festival and now doesn't want to go to any more, the German couple next to us who had been really impressed all weekend with the atmosphere and friendliness of the festival did the same as us; packed up as soon as it got light and left feeling absolutely disgusted.

Didn't help that when the morons who started the tent fire were running around finding aerosols and cans to throw into it, the security staff who were down there just stood and watched them. When we suggested to them that the rest of us would prefer not to be burned out of our tents their exact words were 'well, do you want to try and stop them?'

Were they being paid or were they just there for decoration?

We resorted to phoning the fire brigade eventually, when boiling hot aerosol shrapnel started flying through the campsite and we still hadn't seen any sign of competent security or police.

Perhaps next year a security firm whose staff are actually able to keep in contact with each other rather than panicking when something kicks off and hoping their mates have seen the flames? The best protection we had that night was my ex-squaddie other half, and the tent full of Geordies camped behind us.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 pm

That's odd, because the little fire that broke out in our camp was put out by loads of security, loads of police and a guy on a horse.

pagan_writes

Postby pagan_writes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Must have been a different one then - there were a few that night. We didn't see any mounted police, just a few on foot.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:39 pm

It seems to be that different areas of the camp had different levels of 'give a fu­ck' from securit­y

I honestly hope that Soni doesn't turn into Reading on the Sunday night

pagan_writes

Postby pagan_writes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Definitely depended which individual security guards you came across - most of them seemed to be practically asleep on their feet and not paying any attention to what was going on around them, but we had a couple of guys from Birmingham doing the rounds between 2 and 5 that morning who were really quite switched on and making sure everyone was okay (as far as they were able to).

Managed to convince the group of lads in the tent behind us that lighting a fire in a saucepan inside their tent to keep warm wasn't a good idea at least :doh: And they offered to walk a couple of girls down to the loos when all the rampaging idiots were running around scaring people...

dfb1999

Postby dfb1999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 pm

I only seemed to get searched or checked when it wasn't very busy, other wise I just strolled through. What exactly was I going to do with my bag at 6am? Sneak vodka in? They also got very confused that I kept nothing in the main pocket of my bag, rather keeping my water accessible in the front. On several occasions (once I stopped using my bag, thing was annoying) I had a water bottle in my pocket, and all I had to do was say "It's water" and I went through.

Another thing, weren't flags banned from the arena? Security sucked at that if they were. If they weren't get them banned for next year please.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:54 pm

dfb1999 wrote:
Another thing, weren't flags banned from the arena? Security sucked at that if they were. If they weren't get them banned for next year please.

Yeah there's another thread for this in the general soni discussion. It seems to have really pissed a lot of people off so chances are they'll get banned from next year's festival.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 pm

King_Walnut wrote:That's odd, because the little fire that broke out in our camp was put out by loads of security, loads of police and a guy on a horse.

sorry .did you not know the NO CAMP FIRES rule, they willsend what THEY deem is a proportionate response to the situation , just cos you dont like it tough , you should have put the fire out the second it was discovered unless it was deliberatley started

and why do you think it was overkill by security and the police ,is it cos you were out numbered and had to abide by the rules HHHMMMMM ,

i'm sure the good spritied festival goer who had everyone elses welfare at heart and alerted the authorities to fire , was in the wrong as well for being a GRASS.............grow up child :roll:
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

dfb1999

Postby dfb1999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Need to check a lot better for drugs, saw at least 20 people smoking weed, and I don't want that near me at all, thank you.
A lot of people were smoking in the Bohemia tent, tabacco and otherwise, even though smoking is banned in what is an indoor arena. It's a packed space, and I want to breathe the very little air that gets in there anyway, not second hand smoke.

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:05 pm

billytheweed wrote:sorry .did you not know the NO CAMP FIRES rule, they willsend what THEY deem is a proportionate response to the situation , just cos you dont like it tough , you should have put the fire out the second it was discovered unless it was deliberatley started

and why do you think it was overkill by security and the police ,is it cos you were out numbered and had to abide by the rules HHHMMMMM ,

i'm sure the good spritied festival goer who had everyone elses welfare at heart and alerted the authorities to fire , was in the wrong as well for being a GRASS.............grow up child :roll:

I was sitting on a chair near my tent getting very drunk, I had nothing to do with the fire. I did not try to stop it because that would've involved getting up and would've seriously cut into my drinking time.

I don't think I like your tone.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 pm

King_Walnut wrote:
billytheweed wrote:sorry .did you not know the NO CAMP FIRES rule, they willsend what THEY deem is a proportionate response to the situation , just cos you dont like it tough , you should have put the fire out the second it was discovered unless it was deliberatley started

I was sitting on a chair near my tent getting very drunk, I had nothing to do with the fire. I did not try to stop it because that would've involved getting up and would've seriously cut into my drinking time.
I don't think I like your tone.

need i say anymore
:roll:
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Be quiet.

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Back on track please

I'm a bit concerned reading the comments on this thread - I swear that there's a 'last-night-dgaf-mentality' syndrome that is creeping into all festivals. Never heard anything like that last year so what's changed? Oh and if anyone starts a fire, security should take action regardless of how big/small it is - was there not signage saying 'fires are prohibited'?
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

Dragon Rob

Postby Dragon Rob » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Can say I had any problems with Security, but we we're lucky enough not to be to near all the Sunday night Chaos. The idiots that start this kind of thing really need to be found and banned. It's bad enough having some idiot pissing outside the entrance to your tent (not really great opening your tent to see that) but people setting things on fire is unforgivable. It really saddens me when generally the metal community is excellent.

On general day to day issues I was always asked to show my wristband, in and out of the top entrance to the arena. It was great to see the mounted police about, seems we could have done with more on the Sunday.

pagan_writes

Postby pagan_writes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 pm

triaxis wrote:Oh and if anyone starts a fire, security should take action regardless of how big/small it is - was there not signage saying 'fires are prohibited'?

Someone might want to tell (Man) security that - just after we nearly got barbecued someone lit another fire just up the hill, and they told us they were allowing 'small campfires, as long as they didn't get out of control'.

Couldn't tell us what they were going to do about it with no radios or fire extinguishers if something did get out of control though...

Not sure what's gone wrong since last year - the atmosphere in the arena was just as friendly.

triaxis

Postby triaxis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:33 pm

pagan_writes wrote:
Someone might want to tell (Man) security that - just after we nearly got barbecued someone lit another fire just up the hill, and they told us they were allowing 'small campfires, as long as they didn't get out of control'.

Well they're wrong for doing that - yeeesh
FMC CODE: 1k925379
corney91 wrote:
Cazzy wrote:I'm thinking: Triaxis is a legend! :bow-yellow:

Ditts :lol:

THEY ARE THE PANZER ELITE! BORN TO COMPETE! NEVER RETREAT! GHOST DIVISION!

urbansickness

Postby urbansickness » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 pm

i thought Man Security were for commercial protection only, to protect the interest of stall holders, G4S were for crowd safety and security, but still they should have done something
For all photographers or urban explorers use my FMC code :) 1k964248

Image Image

Punkie

Postby Punkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Security - Very lax between arena and RR until Sunday.

Hooper420

Postby Hooper420 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm

dfb1999 wrote:Need to check a lot better for drugs, saw at least 20 people smoking weed, and I don't want that near me at all, thank you.
A lot of people were smoking in the Bohemia tent, tabacco and otherwise, even though smoking is banned in what is an indoor arena. It's a packed space, and I want to breathe the very little air that gets in there anyway, not second hand smoke.

If the police/security wern't so intent on catching those dangerous criminals sat around, spacing out and eating maybe there would be less damage/riots/trouble in the campsites.

Martii

Postby Martii » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Thats it. I have read enough. Unless serious changes are made. I aint going. The anxiety and panic just doesnt work for me.

PapaFan

Postby PapaFan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:52 pm

triaxis wrote:Very very lax on checking people when they came in the campsite - not sure if it happened all the time. I reckon it needs to be tighter for next year

Also, police presence was good in the campsite - atmos always felt relaxed when we were walking through it

Yeh,but it didnt stop the late night gatecrashers trying to burn tents and causing a riot,did it. They also did a mosh circle around one of the cops,where was his taser when he needed it.Not good.Nor was the hovering chopper,endlessly circling when your trying to sleep. :evil:

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:06 pm

The security and event staff on family camping were great. Discreet, helpful, friendly and in the background, just as they should be. The ones on the main arena were suffering from hi-viz jacket syndrome. I walked through on Sunday night, had pockets checked, fine, no problem. Husband had forgotten his phone and went back through the gates to fetch it. I went with him and changed my mind at the thought of hauling all the way down to family camping and so I stopped literally three feet outside of the gate, turned round and went back in. Was told to empty pockets, they stared at my wristband for a good ten minutes till I wondered if it was doing tricks and then grudgingly let me back on. Give a little tosser a hi-viz jacket and he'll become a big tosser.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

BangBang!!

Postby BangBang!! » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Didn't do much between the arena and Rock Royalty until the Sunday when they checked bags etc. I saw loads of people who wrern't supposed to be there. Also on the Sunday they decided to stop people taking a drink they had bought in the Rock Royalty bar into the arena!

Return to “2010 Feedback”