Security

Got any feedback for us from our second UK appearance, let us know about it in here
jonnyscash

Re: Security

Postby jonnyscash » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 am

Really nice to see so many Visible Police officers, did see secuirty get abit heavy handed with a lady at Therapy.

But yeah with all the Visible Police (The ones on the horses were more than happy to chat) i did feel safe.

So a big Shout out to the Police :music-headbanger:

ToxicTwin

Postby ToxicTwin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:45 pm

The only issue we had all weekend was when a serious fight broke out right in front of us during Europe's set. We were sitting down the hill a bit from the disabled Platform when a very large drunken fool with a European accent started on an English fella near us who was minding his own business. Words were exchanged & the fists then started flying. The European guy who started it all then shoved a female with the other party hard to the ground (he came close to getting jumped by a crowd of onlookers at this stage) before the English fella put him down & in a headlock. Whilst all this was going on, over the course of maybe 5/10 mins, a mate of mine went to find Security/Stewards as there was none to be seen. Eventually he found one who stated that she needed to find someone with a Radio. Not good enough imo. Eventually the English guy let the fool up but he was still wandering about trying to cause trouble afterwards even though there was blood streaming from his nose. He should've been out the door on his ear imo.

Overkill

Postby Overkill » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Tighter securit at the gates, i got 6cans of strongbow into the arena in one trip, at a very unbusy time at 3:30

swindonforever

Postby swindonforever » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm

ToxicTwin wrote:The only issue we had all weekend was when a serious fight broke out right in front of us during Europe's set. We were sitting down the hill a bit from the disabled Platform when a very large drunken fool with a European accent started on an English fella near us who was minding his own business. Words were exchanged & the fists then started flying. The European guy who started it all then shoved a female with the other party hard to the ground (he came close to getting jumped by a crowd of onlookers at this stage) before the English fella put him down & in a headlock. Whilst all this was going on, over the course of maybe 5/10 mins, a mate of mine went to find Security/Stewards as there was none to be seen. Eventually he found one who stated that she needed to find someone with a Radio. Not good enough imo. Eventually the English guy let the fool up but he was still wandering about trying to cause trouble afterwards even though there was blood streaming from his nose. He should've been out the door on his ear imo.

Pretty sure this was the fight i saw too, was really unpleasant, he wasnt far off punching that girl

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Overkill wrote:Tighter securit at the gates, i got 6cans of strongbow into the arena in one trip, at a very unbusy time at 3:30

Eh? And you're complaining? If it was a problem then why do it in the first place?

It's going to be nigh on impossible to bag-search 55,000 punters each day - not unless you want to be queuing for hours. So yes, some folk will end up smuggling stuff in.

Have to say I thought the security were ok, if a bit on the miserable side. The stewards seemed very young though and I wasn't at all confident in their ability to handle things if it kicked off. Somebody was getting harassed by a group of Irish lads when we were leaving at about 5.45am on Monday. Two stewards approached and then proceeded to watch from a safe distance before sloping off again.
T in the Park - 1994, 1998
Reading - 1995
Leeds - 1999
Belladrum - 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013
Chagstock - 2012, 2013
Download - 2012
Sonisphere - 2010
Brew at the Bog - 2013, 2014
Rockness - 2011

metallica_girl

Postby metallica_girl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 pm

I love people complaining because they managed to smuggle cans into the arena. :lol: I managed to get a couple of cans in as well but I have no complaints about not being busted.
Knebworth 2011 - Big 4. You know it makes sense.

Alien8n

Postby Alien8n » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:39 pm

I must admit I did sneak a can of diet coke in on Sunday :lol:

Dunno why, went planning on getting wasted and actually drank next to nothing. Mind, that did mean I only needed a couple of trips to the loo each day, lol

Flo

Postby Flo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Total idiots.
I hated them this year, and trust me we know, we were camped with them.
All they knew about was trying to control people. They came to our campsite on the monday night and tried to take some of our salvaged alcohol and food, we gave them quite a lot in a sharing nature, then they came back 45 minutes later and said they would eject us if we didn't give them more and were screaming at us and things, then they eventually went away, but then we had to hide anything that belonged to us, including our own belongings.
Also when we were recycling tents on monday, they were told to take down tents. Not only did this make it 10000 times harder for us to do our job, but in the end, they just smashed perfectly fine tents because they were obviously bored.

Also, when I had my phone stolen the police were total arseholes.
They asked me 3 or 4 times if I'd been drinking and if I'd dropped it and not had it stolen. I was so angry, I had been drinking, but I wasn't drunk, not in the slightest. Then when I eventually got a crime reference number I went back the next day to go cancel my phones sim, I overheard them saying don't give anyone a crime reference number because its their own fault for taking expensive phones to music festivals. I honestly was so angry.

/rant.
Maybe you were right afterall, Maybe I'm just bad news.

Faith_Is_Blind

Postby Faith_Is_Blind » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Security were frakking usless!
None of them were informed, None of them had a frakking clue what was going on, they were complete Knobends, Security at the front for maiden were getting far to heavy handed with the crowd, Number 930 (far right in front the of cameras)was spitting in the water that he handed out, they were the biggest bunch of Cunts at the gate, didn't give a gooseberry, the only helpful ones over the weekend that i met were the police and the people at the welfare tent (Forgot my tent and slept in there on the friday night...)
MON THE LADS!!

helzangel

Postby helzangel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am

fatperson wrote:Huge police presence in the campervan area. At one point on Saturday there were EIGHT police! 4 on foot, two in a car and two on horseback - overkill??

I think it was more of a convenient area for them to meet/change shift etc, because they weren't wandering round all the time, only saw 2 on foot on Friday Morning and 2 in a car on Sunday morning in the campervan field and the horses might explain the large horse box that was parked in one corner all weekend

helzangel

Postby helzangel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:51 am

We didn't have any problems with them, but if a lot of people did, maybe try a different company next year

sfug

Postby sfug » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:57 am

I don't know if you'd call them doormen but I'm quite sure I saw what looked like two of them selling drugs at the entrance to the Strongbow tent at about 1 o'clock on Monday morning when it became a dance tent. I could be wrong though and I have no evidence apart from what I thought I saw. They weren't wearing Hi-Vizes, they just looked like a couple of meatheads that you'd probably see at most city clubs that the gold-bracelet-brigade go into for a Saturday night punch up.

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:58 pm

heres what herfordshire constabluary had to say and also the reported crimes

http://www.herts.police.uk/crimedatabas ... le_id=8790

can i say thanks to these guys for another well policed festival
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

Martii

Postby Martii » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

Alright......but could do better next year. EVERYONE should be informed about rules, maybe a booklet they can keep in thier pocket if unsure about how to deal with a complaint

pretty sure im going family camping, even if it is abit of a walk. Although anyone can go family camping too......so you cant win....there should be restrictions on who gets a family ticket or something.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 am

I've been going to festivals since 1991, in the UK and Europe and never have I once had an issue with security. Is it that I'm just the luckiest man ever?

I do as security say and hence I never have an issue. I may not like what they say but 99.99% of the time, they do stuff for the interest of the festival, not just silly old me

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am

You don't have to personally have an issue with festival security to have a negative opinion of it. Case in point: Sunday night riots at Reading.
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:29 am

You can't have a negative view of security if they were never there (Reading Festival) :lol:

I hate :lol: but it seems most apt here considering I was making a gooseberry joke

red_sauce

Postby red_sauce » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am

rockgeek wrote:I do as security say and hence I never have an issue. I may not like what they say but 99.99% of the time, they do stuff for the interest of the festival, not just silly old me

See 99.9% of the time security is fine, when you don't really have much to do with them. Last year and this year we all had some chats with some ace security at the front of saturn, really fun, but when I had to deal with them on a problem it was less great. It was the only time I had to deal with them in that way so then it is easier to have a negative attitude towards them. In general though, being objective, they were good, it was going to be hard to get every can, we were really thouraghly searched when we went into the festival, especilly the second time after putting our tents back in the car the guy checked everything (much to my friends annoyance that she was going to miss slayer) Can't win really on that side of things.

Problem is, as I said before my encounter with them did make me think I will be less keen to step up when something bad is happening in the future. Less keen doesn't mean I won't, I am the type of person who can't sit and watch that kind of thing, but still it really did annoy me.
"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space cos there's bugger all down here on earth" - Python

gaffers93

Postby gaffers93 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm

I was gutted when they searched my bag going into the camping and took my full can of hairspray :( At least they didn't find my Jack Daniels

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 pm

gaffers93 wrote:I was gutted when they searched my bag going into the camping and took my full can of hairspray :( At least they didn't find my Jack Daniels

why did they take your hairspray , we got handed a can in our goody bags in rock royalty .... go figure !!!
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

x-tempus

Postby x-tempus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:37 am

billytheweed wrote:
gaffers93 wrote:I was gutted when they searched my bag going into the camping and took my full can of hairspray :( At least they didn't find my Jack Daniels

why did they take your hairspray , we got handed a can in our goody bags in rock royalty .... go figure !!!

good to see that extra money you paid was well worth it for RR ;)
hybrid theorist wrote:it's rare for an indecent exposure record to say "barely worth the effort", but you've always been a trend setter ;)

http://www.justgiving.com/x-tempus< please read, all donations will be appreciated

mrkilley2900623

Postby mrkilley2900623 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 pm

mostly had a good esperience with security (especially when they gave me a drink when i went over the barrier in pendulum) the only downer was security not letting me take a bottle of WATER into the arena i even offered to empty the bottle so they would know i had no alcohol in it. was a good thing indeed that my friend got a bottle in otherwise we'd have been screwed since we wern't camping and had little money to buy more water
YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

angel666

Postby angel666 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 am

This was our second Sonisphere and overall I think they have been well organised but I have never been to a festival either here or in europe where there has been so much pick pocketing.

Firstly I am disappointed because Metal Fans in my experience have always been honest and you knew you that you were safe in 'family' company ( I am hoping the groups who were doing this were NOT metal fans!).

My son got pocketed by whilst watching a band and lost his phone. He was at the front. I stood at security and after every band at least 30/40 people came to the security tent as they too has lost their phones/wallets. I couldn't believe that this was happening, I have never seen anything like this. I asked why they were not making an announcement before the bands came on telling people about the severity of the pick pocketing so that they were more aware. People should have been told. Their weekends were ruined because of these selfish people who were not there to enjoy the festival like everybody else.

I know there were lockers. I did have one but to keep in touch we needed to keep our phones on us. For some of the younger crowd £20 (i think it was) is just too much to hire one. Perhaps you could have a cheaper rate for students?.

I think Sonsiphere should consider more security. When these people are leaving the site if they were searched it would be pretty obvious they have been pilfering if they have 5 mobiles in their pockets...there must be something done to discourage this kind of behaviour. If Sonisphere can't do anything metal fans who see this happening should speak out and help to get these B*****Ds banned for life!

I would have been giong to number 3 this year but am now having second thoughts. It's a shame because it is a good festival.There must be something that can be done! :icon-mad :icon-mad
Angels FMC 1K991932 Use my code get 4 free beers

Zach's Code 1K999960 Use Zach's code get 4 free beers
[/size[/size]

Miss Shell

Postby Miss Shell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 pm

i thought they were very lax.
nice to see the police and ambulances, however i didnt get my bag checked once :?:

Return to “2010 Feedback”