Sonisphere 2017

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
welshAC_81

Re: Sonisphere 2017

Postby welshAC_81 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:33 pm

Which is bollox. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every year so I went ahead it was successful. I don't see what pushing stone free into a rebranded Soni would achieve
Image Image

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:02 am

welshAC_81 wrote:Which is bollox. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every year so I went ahead it was successful. I don't see what pushing stone free into a rebranded Soni would achieve

Well said

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:22 am

How is Sonisphere not broken?

They have an event which has gone ahead as many years as it hasn't. In the last 5 years it has happened once.

Bands seemingly won't commit to them and actually ask the competition if they can play there instead. Ask Ginger or Benji what they thinks of Sonisphere now.

No representatives from Kili ever come on the forums anymore to give feedback.

Their twitter and facebook pages only advertise gigs and post cryptic messages once in a while, they barely ever respond to questions. In a nutshell their customer service has gone from one of the best to one of the worst. The only way we ever find out info is by asking the art guy or hoping he posts some new designs.

They have merged with DEAG who seem to be just as bad, they have received nothing but complaints this year and their lineups are shoddy at best.

Sonisphere has become a laughing stock and only goes ahead when Maiden or Metallica plays, and everyone knows it. All their rivals have to do is book one of these bands and Sonisphere cancels.

When everyone thought they were getting ready to launch this years Sonisphere event, they brought out a new brand which is basically Monsters of Rock, with quite a few bands who would have probably played Sonisphere.
FMC Code - 1k949287

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:09 am

I think the biggest problem with the brand isn't that it has not gone ahead, more the fact that when its not going ahead they have always said they have started work on the following year. That was the problem this year imo, they had stated they were working on 2016 as 2015 was cancelled, Then they started releasing completely pointless images like Schroedinger's cat which people understandably take as a sign something is coming soon... Then we get more meaningless tweets that can be interrupted any way you like, before eventually hearing that actually nothing is happening.

Its the working on it line that needs to be dropped, it build expectations and then leaves you flat. At the same time it makes the organisers look like they don't really know what the hell they are doing which does damage the brand as a whole.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:51 am

Sonisphere is so bad, they're awful, lost it as a company, everyone hates them, they've lost it, no chance of anything now...

... "Sonisphere 2017 Proudly Presents Tool, AC/DC and Black Sabbath"...

... wow, Sonisphere is amazing, the best thing ever, so much better than Download, wow wee. You're only as good as your last event. Yes, it's gooseberry now. If they pull it out the bag next year though, it will be the exact opposite.

No one gives a gooseberry. People buy Nestle and Gap products. Other festivals have changed names, have failed and.... genuinely, can't be bothered...

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 pm

I know what you mean bear but I meant the event when it goes ahead isn't broken. I agree that the name is tarnished but I don't agree with them starting up another event of the same nature and then pushing that to a rebranded Soni. Why not get the band they have for stone free at Soni and like someone said in the 2016 thread, tone down the event so it's not aiming so high and I'm direct competition with DL.
Image Image

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 pm

rockgeek wrote:Sonisphere is so bad, they're awful, lost it as a company, everyone hates them, they've lost it, no chance of anything now...

... "Sonisphere 2017 Proudly Presents Tool, AC/DC and Black Sabbath"...

... wow, Sonisphere is amazing, the best thing ever, so much better than Download, wow wee. You're only as good as your last event. Yes, it's gooseberry now. If they pull it out the bag next year though, it will be the exact opposite.

No one gives a gooseberry. People buy Nestle and Gap products. Other festivals have changed names, have failed and.... genuinely, can't be bothered...

Or on the other hand, people commit themselves to another festival such as Download in the years that Sonisphere doesn't run. Then when it does eventually run, they have already booked for Download etc because they couldn't trust Sonisphere going ahead. Then Sonisphere announces eithr Maiden or Metallica and everyone laughs at them.
FMC Code - 1k949287

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:33 pm

welshAC_81 wrote:I know what you mean bear but I meant the event when it goes ahead isn't broken. I agree that the name is tarnished but I don't agree with them starting up another event of the same nature and then pushing that to a rebranded Soni. Why not get the band they have for stone free at Soni and like someone said in the 2016 thread, tone down the event so it's not aiming so high and I'm direct competition with DL.

I agree with what you're saying, but Sonisphere is essentially dead now.

If they do bring back an event be it Sonisphere or a rebranded event, they need to get away from copying Download. Go for a hybrid between Download and Reading, a more Euro style event such as Rock am Ring, something that everyone thought Sonisphere was going to be, have a good splattering of Metal, Punk, Indie, Folk etc. Either that or go for a scaled back event which they could easily put on every year. This year for example they could have easily put on an event with the likes of The Offspring headlining, lower the cost of tickets to reflect the scaled back lineup.

A scaled back lineup and the event going ahead is better than nothing. Sure people will compare it to Download, but then they will also say, yeah but Download is £220 a ticket whereas Sonisphere is £150. Middle of the road festivals are extremely popular and sell out all the time and manage to go ahead every year. People lose their gooseberry to bands such as Madness headlining, Sonisphere/ whatever could easily do that and more.

If they come back next year with Maiden and Slipknot headlining, they will only go and cancel again in 2018.
FMC Code - 1k949287

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 pm

I give up. It's been a pleasure.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Conpletely disagree Mbear It's got nothing to do with AEG, DEAG or Kili themselves. They don't chase Metallica, Maiden or Slipknot every year and tgen give up when none are available. As it's K2's event as well and those are K2 bands, it's K2 who want them to play - and probably push for them on the years it runs.

It means they [K2] have a platform for their bands almost every year as they cannot do Reading or Download every year, which means more money going K2's way. When they do Sonisphere,they can then do Download the year after and then switch back to Sonisphere etc... It's good for K2 but has left Sonisphere in a position where it hasn't been able to grow without those bands and K2 won't leave then exclusively with Sonisphere asit means less dolla and it'sbad management of the bands to turn down gigs that probably pay more.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:42 pm

It certainly looks that way.

09 - Metallica
10 - Maiden
11 - Metallica
12 - Cancelled - Metallica at Download
13 - Cancelled - Maiden at Download
14 - Metallica & Maiden
15 - Cancelled - Metallica at Reading
16 - Cancelled - Maiden at Download

Based on history -

17 - Metallica or Maiden

Sonisphere has killed itself off by being unsustainable, even 2014 didn't sell out with those headliners, that says a lot.
FMC Code - 1k949287

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:34 pm

dsfsdfdf

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:56 pm

2014s not selling out could in some part be down to the fact people have been moaning about Metallica being over exposed forever now (I'd still go see them), it being Maidens 4th show of the Maiden England tour In England (Whole of the UK maybe?) and the Friday facing competition from Black Sabbath/Soundgarden/FNM playing Hyde park.

Top of the 2014 undercard was meh as well.

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:04 pm

technically 2013, 2015 & 2016 weren't cancelled as they didn't launch. They just didn't go ahead.
Image Image

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:48 am

I think we can all accept it's 100% not going ahead by now.... 2016 that is

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:27 am

So many pros and cons if Killi/DEAG/whoever it is who runs soni if they decide to cancel it and switch it up for a new fest.

If they go smaller and cheaper:
Pro- the pool of bands is expanded as there are more non-Metallica sized bands in the world
Con- If DL or R/L pull some massive bands out of their hats then Soni would never be able to compete (if DL had Metallica and Soni had A7X then you can see who will sell more)
Pro- It will get a head-start on establishing itself before the giant headliners retire and DL also has to scale back also
Con- The budget for bands will be less (assuming ticket prices go down) so rivals could easily outbid them
Con- With the likes of Ramblin Man etc there is more direct competition as there are medium sized fests + won't have the budgetary advantage to out pay them

If they change demographic:
Pro- Larger demographic so less direct competition with DL audience
Con- all it takes is Dl and R/L to both have big years and Soni is left picking up the crumbs
Pro- Larger pool of bands to choose from
Con- More competition with other fests, IoW, Slam Dunk, HtD, Bloodstock, Hevy, Ramblin' Man, if they switch up a bit to move away from DL then they actually face more competition from more festivals

If they push Stone Free as the new Soni:
Pro- as of yet undamaged brand
Con- Currently O2 sized at the moment and not sold out after (5 months?) on sale, can't see how that kind of fest can be scaled up and still sell?
Pro- Not limited to Soni's weakness' I.E. has to be 3 days and clashless etc
Con- Don't think that kind of festival (the hype attached to the non-musical extras make it sound an integral part of the experience) would work outdoors/scaled up, the o2 is as large as it could grow and be indoors.

At this point Killi/DEAG have left it too long and whereas a possible gap in the market existed a few years ago, the likes of Ramblin' Man etc have just filled a gap Killi/DEAG could have plugged.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:38 am

If they scaled down, they wouldn't be competing with Download as they would be going for different bands, they wouldn't be endlessly competing with Download and Reading for Metallica, instead they would be offering full headline sets to bands like Volbeat.
FMC Code - 1k949287

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:09 pm

Anyone offered a headline set to Volbeat I'd be all like shut up and take my money.

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 pm

If this thread gets to 65 pages I'll eat my hat.

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:27 am

This thread will be an exact replica of the 2016 one!
Image Image

nomadc22

Postby nomadc22 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:18 pm

So, the UK website is dead then? http://sonisphere.co.uk/ is now 'myticket' :?
Sonisphere is the most magical time of the year! There will be beer, excellent sounds, and happiness all round :music-deathmetal: Share the magic! 1k912130

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:40 pm

^^ It has been for some time.

This site is being flagged up as having dangerous scripts by my Kaspersky anti virus, so I'm outta here!

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 pm

yeah its still not right. one thread is full of spam bots and the site is still under the metro heading and not how it was at all
Image Image

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:40 am

I've not had time to change the metro logo :-(

Which thread has the spam as can't see any in the control panel

Soni ain't gonna happen again is it...

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:47 am

nope not this year, DOK told me a good while ago. thanks for amending the metro header though hun, looks better now. can't find the thread with the spam now...will have a look. any chance of the links back that used to be under the header when you have five please RG? The new posts one and the 'Your posts' one if poss. Easier to keep an eye on the active topics then cos this pace is a maze otherwise lol

EDIT: Scratch that i've just seen the 'quick links' - nope I'm not with it today DOH! thanks RG looks great. Now to get all the people and more importantly, the festival!, back :)
Image Image

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”