Sonisphere 2016

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
IronBoosh

Re: Sonisphere 2016

Postby IronBoosh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 am

kipper64 wrote:Seems a bizarre stance from the festival who has happily had Steel Panther play every year almost with very high up slots

Copping is probably having a strop because he didn't get them before Sonisphere last year!

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:28 am

This is the man who claimed Metallica were a lazy boring booking and they need to go away for a few years to build the hype back up (after being announced for Sonisphere 2011), before later announcing them for Download 2012.

This is the guy who said Placebo has no place at Download, before later admitting he would love them at Download, he also said the same about Smashing Pumpkins.

Lets not forget the whole SOAD have ruined their reputation after sub-headlining at L/R.

This is a guy who never really books any different acts for Download, until Sonisphere came on the scene, even this year you can see the bands on the lineup who would have probably played Sonisphere if it had gone ahead. Yet Sonisphere gets accused of copying Download.
FMC Code - 1k949287

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 am

as I stated before Copping is a tool!

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes!
The man really is a tool
Image Image

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:32 pm

welshAC_81 wrote:Yes!
The man really is a tool

Ha Ha absolute!

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Apparently Download sold roughly 85k tickets this year, in comparison to last years 55k. Could the jump be because there was no Sonisphere this year?
FMC Code - 1k949287

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:06 pm

It stands to reason! Still not a lot for a 3 day festival though is it?

How many did Soni shift in its 3 days last year do we know?

houston404

Postby houston404 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm

kipper64 wrote:Seems a bizarre stance from the festival who has happily had Steel Panther play every year almost with very high up slots

I was going to say it must be a hype or language thing but now I think about it Babymetal have been hyped more than ST were and DL have booked foreign language acts before (discounting Rammstein because, ya know, fire and explosions).

metalicbear wrote:Apparently Download sold roughly 85k tickets this year, in comparison to last years 55k. Could the jump be because there was no Sonisphere this year?

I think it was probably due to Soni nabbing quite a few solid acts that left DL to book good acts but ones that were either overexposed or had little drawing power (had toured alot recently or were at the end of a album cycle) whereas this year quite a few of the bands they had were either at the start or in the middle of an album cycle so were a bigger draw.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:47 pm

metalicbear wrote:Apparently Download sold roughly 85k tickets this year, in comparison to last years 55k. Could the jump be because there was no Sonisphere this year?

Police reporting put it at 45k camping and 70k overall attendence so seems quite a quiet year compared to the more succesful years that hit 90-110k and thats with no Soni. They managed similar in 2011 with Sonisphere on

houston404

Postby houston404 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 pm

I wonder if this last year and this year's sales figures were the reason Jager and Pepsi pulled sponsoring stages

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 am

kipper64 wrote:
Police reporting put it at 45k camping and 70k overall attendence so seems quite a quiet year compared to the more succesful years that hit 90-110k and thats with no Soni. They managed similar in 2011 with Sonisphere on

70k eh. That's quite a difference compared to AC's projected figures of 85k that he told people on twitter at the end of May then.

I heard in 2011, they only had 70k on SOAD's day, the rest of the days were significantly less, I think Def Leppard's day was bordering on around 30-40k.

Download usually have a weaker year every 3 years. Which means the next 1 will be 2017, next year I'm expecting a bog standard Download lineup. Biffy/ BMTH - Tool - Metallica/Sabbath
FMC Code - 1k949287

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:05 am

Yeah, perhaps 85k was using the old trick of camping plus all individual day tickets sold even though the peak amount of people on site at one time was around 75k they might have had 85k unique atendees

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:14 am

DL will know exactly how many tickets they sold/gave away for the weekend but appear to be under no obligation to reveal these figures to the public. The traders will not be too bothered as long as they make money. I'd be inclined to go with police figures - they will demand to know how many tickets were sold and have no reason to lie about it.

How many people will have gone to DL because there was no Soni? Quite a few I imagine and Soni must be at least partly responsible for last years low attendance at DL so I'm sure Copping and co will be doing all they can to scupper Soni's band booking plans for 2016. I just hope that this fallow year has not been wasted.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:20 pm

CC Deville wrote:DL will know exactly how many tickets they sold/gave away for the weekend but appear to be under no obligation to reveal these figures to the public. The traders will not be too bothered as long as they make money. I'd be inclined to go with police figures - they will demand to know how many tickets were sold and have no reason to lie about it.

How many people will have gone to DL because there was no Soni? Quite a few I imagine and Soni must be at least partly responsible for last years low attendance at DL so I'm sure Copping and co will be doing all they can to scupper Soni's band booking plans for 2016. I just hope that this fallow year has not been wasted.

They're not obligated to unless stockholders ask them to, even then I'd imagine it would be kept confidential between those parties.

If those figures are correct and it has been quite a quiet year even without Soni then you would think AC might actually start to think about changing the way he books the fest. Too many repeats (especially in high spots) and no direct UK competition, just why?

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Yeah I think a lot of people were less fussed on Slipknot as they had their arena tour at the start of the year, and the last few outings have been fests so more casual fans have probably had their fill.

Muse was a great booking but one that I imagine isnt going to appeal enough to Downloads core audience and the rest of the lineup wont appeal to muse fans to convince them to go. They've got a new record out so a lot probably hedged their bets that they'll do plenty of touring over the next 12+ months to promote it anyways.

Lastly with Kiss they are a band who sell a decent number of day tix but dont sell a lot of weekend ones as shown by previous fest bookings.

If you look at the other big acts, with the exception of Faith No More - again done a fair few fest slots and shows and with a new album out people probs hedged their bets on solo shows - and Manson whose live rep is pants at download, the other big names all played recently in similar slots.

I think Download has a loyal enough fanbase to always sell at least 50k tix but anything above that really depends on competition and strength of line up, so I'd say considering the circumstances its not a standout year

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Yeah, kiss day was so much busier than the other two.
A petition to bring back Soni Knebworth for 2016 appeared on my Facebook timeline today
Image Image

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:34 am

welshAC_81 wrote:Yeah, kiss day was so much busier than the other two.
A petition to bring back Soni Knebworth for 2016 appeared on my Facebook timeline today

Yeah, someone in the Sonisphere group started it, clearly possessing no grasp of how petitions or festivals work.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Clearly :lol:
Image Image

houston404

Postby houston404 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:29 pm

Metallica 2016: "By Request Petition"

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:35 am

In all seriousness if a petition could be started that would make a difference to it taking place next year I would definitely sign up!

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:21 pm

IronBoosh wrote:In all seriousness if a petition could be started that would make a difference to it taking place next year I would definitely sign up!

Or maybe form a band that reaches o2 arena status level and agree to play Soni next year...

IronBoosh

Postby IronBoosh » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:06 am

Piece of piss! :lol:

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Auditions start tomorrow people, I nominate myself to be the Simon Cowell of the audition process.

trigger7344

Postby trigger7344 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Guys
I'm new to the foum and attending festivals, however been following this forum a while,
I went to Sonisphere last year for the Sunday and camped at download this year, after having such a good time at Sonisphere last year and regretting not doing the weekend camping, I was really gutted to see it was cancelled this year so keeping fingers crossed for 2016.

I'm going to back pedal a bit here but thought I'd stick my two penneth in about some of the less than positive views about download this year from this forum and the download forums.

We arrived at donnington on Thurs morning and I have to say from parking and getting through security and getting wristband sorted etc I found that it was all very quick and convenient (long walks aside) I found that security that processed us was very polite and courteous and were not over excessive with their bag searches or man handling anyone, despite hearing numerous complaints about security and the queues I did not experience or see any issues arise that many have remarked on, maybe I was just lucky with the time that I arrived, I think we arrived at 0945 and were setup at pink campsite and supping cider by midday.

As for the cashless system I was wary of this before I arrived but I found that it worked very efficiently for me and my guys it was strange not carrying cash around but I found it quite convenient as did not have to faff about with change and was easier to keep track of what I was spending and not get carried away when I'm pissed as a fart, I found that service was much quicker and I don't think I waited more than 5mins to get served for food and drink which I found great. A lot of people had problems with the cashless but I assume problems are inevitable when bringing new tech to a big event, and I think peoples problems were resolved but was time consuming due to the queues at the cashless/help tents.

What annoys me about download is the way so many acts clash and found I did not see as much as I'd have liked due to the fact the two main stages clash, and this is where I find Sonisphere has a superior layout as the stages alternate, so you don't miss the big stuff, much more convenient.
I definitely prefer the way Sonispheres arena is laid out much less time is wasted yomping about and less likely to miss stuff.
I truly hope Sonisphere comes back for 2016 I thoroughly enjoyed myself last year despite going on my Todd for the day I thought the atmosphere was brilliant. TBH provided both have good enough line ups then intend on doing both festivals next year as I have much catching up to do with festivals, and gigs seems I have missed out on a lot.

Apologies for my rambling in advance :music-deathmetal:

Stiv

Postby Stiv » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:20 am

*tunes theramin*

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”