Sonisphere 2016

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
The Angry Koala

Re: Sonisphere 2016

Postby The Angry Koala » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:03 pm

New job as a sound engineer Amanda? 1-2-2-1-2-2-Check-2-1-2

Laura - Not sure about shuttle buses as I really didn't feel any need to take the trek to standard! :D Also - looks like they changed it in 2015 and put Press/Guest camping (which is where you'll be) up by the main arena entrance (see map below hopefully) which seems bloody stupid as it means you've got to trek right the way across the arena to the Press/Guest/VIP area...

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:34 pm

lolatheminxx wrote:It doesn't seem so, which is a bit annoying at this stage really. There has been nothing from the team. Nothing.

Despite all I've previously said about not going back, I've won a VIP upgrade for Download, so am heading there! Really excited about it now tbh, I wasn't committed to anything fest wise but it made up my mind for me. Plus staying in VIP should should be a nice change! So anyone else here going and fancy a drink in around 5 months? Has anyone here been VIP (not RIP) before?

Cool! I'm going with Thorn Davis so would definitely be good to catch up for a beer at some stage.

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Yes! Let's all actually meet up this time.
maschera wrote:Image Look. It's minx as a mermaid.

Apparently Camp Moocrab's resident Irish girl / mermaid Image

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Hell yeah I could be a sound engineer hahaha!
No shuttle as far as I know Laura, same as rip, you just have to trek it. Not too drastic once you've had a few
Image Image

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:50 pm

How'd you wangle VIP?
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:08 am

I won it! Entered some feedback thing after Download in June and totally forgot about it :D

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:10 am

When quiet camping toilets get closed on the Friday again, I expect you to smuggle me in to VIP area to use the VIP facilities, which I assume will have proper bathrooms with carpets and flushing toilets and sofas and stuff.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:25 am

Stayed in press/guest camping last year and it was fine when it was dry, for getting to any stage.

The guest/press area is in the worst position on site to get to (boo hoo hoo).

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:10 am

CherryInHove wrote:When quiet camping toilets get closed on the Friday again, I expect you to smuggle me in to VIP area to use the VIP facilities, which I assume will have proper bathrooms with carpets and flushing toilets and sofas and stuff.

Trailers with toilet cubicles apparently? Hopefully you don't have the same situation again :/

rockgeek wrote: The guest/press area is in the worst position on site to get to (boo hoo hoo).

In what way? I know it's moved around a fair bit!

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:47 am

Omg! Are they ever gonna tell us anything!?!?
Image Image

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:23 pm

IIt's absolutely disgraceul that they haven't said anything whatsoever. People keep asking on the FB page and on here and it's constantly ignored. There may be a band they are talking to and they can't say whether it will go ahead until the band has signed or something, but to not say anything at all, either a "We're still trying to get bands booked" or "Sorry guys, it's not going ahead this year" is utterly ridiculous.

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Totally bad form. Not even a "we cannot say anything for the time being, but we appreciate your patience" would be better than months of ignoring fans. Months. If I am correct there's been little or nothing on their social media since Stone Free was announced in November? Nobody even pops in here anymore to say hi...

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Grrrrrr getting annoyed with posting now - keep typing posts and it keeps deleting them when I press submit :evil:

right, what i was trying to say was i find it so disappointing that NOTHING has been said, on twitter as well - except for that teeny reply to your tweet laura. And what was with those cryptic posts a few months ago that had us all guessing? was there any point to those?

Annoyed at the fact that the headliners from their euro tests are once again headlining DL....would be nice if they played the uk sonis as well.

plus also going back to the new stone free fest or whatever it is......why launch a whole new fest instead of just incorporating those acts into the uk soni?

Of course, I know nothing of putting together events though so i will just keep quiet. 8-)
Image Image

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:10 am

Do feel for team Soni a bit, without something to announce there'll never be enough they can say. Would a "we're working on it" really be better? What kind of reaction does that get if weeks later you have to again say "sorry guys not happening this year"?

With out bands to announce they're never going to win.

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:41 am

But to not say ANYTHING??? That's not really any better is it. It's gotta be difficult if bands are still giving them the runaround this late in the day but why is it always left this late in the day???
I'm always optimistic until we get the official 'No' from team Soni because it is such a better festival but it's just so frustrating being kept waiting so long without a peep
Image Image

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:53 am

My take on it -

Sabbath were the golden goose and were already booked for Download the year before. Instant win.

Sonisphere has fallen in to a trap of only going ahead if they have Maiden or Metallica. Every man and his dog knows it. Download approached both and were willing to splash out in order to stop Sonisphere going ahead, Metallica said they wanted to concentrate on the new album, Download and Sonisphere battled it out for Maiden. Download won.

They approached Rammstein; were told Lindemann was touring solo.

SOAD and Slipknot were approached, they decided not to tour.

Download were in advanced talks with Pearl Jam.

Festivals got wind of Blackmore touring Rainbow, Blackmore wanted to headline festivals, Download fucked up, Kili went after them, the best they could do was to promote Rainbow's only UK show.

Sonisphere ummed and arred about Queen, Queen didn't want to commit to Sonisphere just in case 2012 happened again, they ended up at IOW.

Pearl Jam at a late stage decided to cancel plans to tour Europe, Rammstein did a U-turn and Download lucked out.

Sonisphere and Reading were in deep negotiations with RHCP, Livenation flexed it's financial muscle. Reading won.

Sonisphere and Reading have gone after Biffy Clyro......

Sonisphere are in advanced talks with Tool and have been for over a year, but this could go either way...

Sonisphere managed to book a lot of bands, but the headliners they've got aren't up to scratch (ala Kiss/ Def Leppard/Deep Purple)

Sonisphere around Xmas decided to go big or go home and are currently in talks with a number of bands for the last headliner -

AC/DC are entertaining the idea, but depends on their tour, perhaps Knebworth might be an added date?
Sonisphere are trying to tempt Metallica out of the studio?
In talks with GnR?
Are trying to sort a deal for Muse alongside Glastonbury?
Are trying to get Aerosmith to reconsider touring?
Are in talks with Green Day?
Are trying to get Pearl Jam to reconsider playing Europe?

...So perhaps they have a bulk of a lineup, but the 1 or 2 headliners they have booked aren't good enough to carry the event, so are desperately trying to secure a major selling point, they could also be bending over backwards to bands demands such as changing the dates of Sonisphere to later in the year...
FMC Code - 1k949287

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Whilst frustrated, I do have sympathy with the promoters.

An established, annual festival (Download, R/L, IOW, Glastonbury, etc) can tie 1 or 2 headliners into binding contracts early, safe in the knowledge that it will go ahead even if they have to approach a smaller or less popular headliner to fill the line-up. There's very little risk that the festival will sell so badly as to be financially unfeasible.

As soon as you have a festival which is not a fixed annual event guaranteed to sell a set percentage of tickets (almost regardless of who is appearing), you can't do that.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I would imagine tying headliners into contracts, only to then cancel them, would be massively expensive (surely huge bands have huge cancellation fees especially if the festival is not part of a larger tour?).

That being the case, Soni, for example, can't afford to tie 1 or 2 headliners in and hope they can get a third, especially if the one they are missing is one of the bigger headliners. They basically need to have all 3 headliners locked in early, otherwise they are relying on verbal agreements until such time as they can say definitively that the festival can go ahead. That leaves them open to bands deciding to pull out with no financial recompense. On top of that, they need a decent undercard made up of a number of bands that are actually being offered headline slots at smaller festivals (Slayer, Mastodon, Machine Head, etc, etc).

As such, I completely get the argument that it is better to announce (however late) that the event won't take place, rather than starting to announce bands and then cancelling.

A lack of communication frustrates me as much as it does anyone else, but let's also put this into perspective. As passionate and as loyal as any of us are about this festival, there are literally 8 of us here on a good day. 8. We'd all like to think we matter to the promoters as forum regulars, but in the whole scheme of things, the truth is unfortunately that we don't. On that very subject, whilst we may not get much in the way of communication, I think we're probably bloody lucky this forum is still open for us to even be having the conversation (and long may it continue to be).

lolatheminxx

Postby lolatheminxx » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Metalicbear could you please stop spouting nonsense? For a couple of days at least? Go and write a fiction novel, put that overactive imagination to better use.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:38 pm

I agree, it's nauseating.

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:51 pm

I have a headache
Image Image

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 pm

welshAC_81 wrote:But to not say ANYTHING??? That's not really any better is it.

What can they say?

Kipper on the Download forums, I think had a pretty good take on why they've ended up in the situation they're in this year. Long and short seems to be they can't compete financially. Being a smaller promoter and putting on an event that has a much smaller capacity than the competition while trying to book in a sense the same bands for the same slots, only going to be one winner.

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 pm

It's been 18 months since the last UK Soni and if you can't get organised in that time and put a lineup together then either the world is against you and your competitors are doing a great job of ruining your event or you are not trying hard enough! Either way I would prefer that they just ditch the forum and FB pages as they just end up getting slagged off and I really can't blame their loyal customers for being peeved.
If they manage to get things going it will take about 1 minute to tell everyone and get everybody talking online.
Maybe this place should be turned into a Sonisphere memorial?

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:18 pm

According to Zac it's not definitely off as it stands, but not definitely on either. Sounds like there's still some work going on.

So I guess that's confirmation that the only thing to confirm at the moment is that there's nothing to confirm!

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:04 pm

We will hear in March that its on, won't we, when we are all going elsewhere
Image Image

Pubely

Postby Pubely » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:27 am

lolatheminxx wrote:Metalicbear could you please stop spouting nonsense? For a couple of days at least? Go and write a fiction novel, put that overactive imagination to better use.

Knowing which bands are considered 'headline acts', he actually talks a lot of sense. There are only so many bands these days that can headline a festival (one of the reason why the festival in itself may be slowly dying) so it has reason that these are the bands that Sonisphere approached. Some bands don't want to tour in the summer in some years, others – like Metallica – will probably feel that they may have diluted themselves by playing too regularly.

I have no doubt Sonisphere tried all these bands, but if it's not a bumper year for touring, then the festival can't go ahead.

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”