Sonisphere Knebworth not running in 2015

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
rockgeek

Re: Sonisphere Knebworth not running in 2015

Postby rockgeek » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 am

Ok Mystic Meg

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:59 am

sonisphere hasn't gone ahead without maiden or Metallica, chances are if Sonisphere doesn't get either it won't go ahead. The festival has gone from exciting, different, trying to change the festival landscape to a bland Download V2. It needs to look back and see what they proposed in the beginning, what made them successful, how can they have their own market.
FMC Code - 1k949287

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Ha!

King_Walnut

Postby King_Walnut » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:52 pm

metalicbear wrote:Can see Download having Tool and Sabbath next year, with AC/DC going to Glastonbury.

You didn't mention Rage Against The Machine. Are you feeling okay? Would you like me to call a doctor???
:animals-cow:

metalicbear wrote:Axl doesn't have timekeeping issues

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:37 pm

I am gutted as a fan , but also for the team that tried to put the festival on for us, the job they have done for the 4 events they have put on have been has been immense. most who attended have said its the best layout for a festival they have seen, and that is hard to argue, the location is iconic and the atmosphere special. It will be a real shame if they cant get things sorted for 2016, if they do I will be there as I am sure a good number of people will be.

so a big thank you to them for trying to get the festival on.

i am sure if they could have got a decent enough line up they would have done, if those two bands mentioned are indeed who they were after then it would have been spectacular, is it any wonder that the competition didnt want it to go ahead. here's to 2016 and everyone , dont forget this place .....
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

welshAC_81

Postby welshAC_81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:43 pm

*sob*
Image Image

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 pm

I really don't know what to do now. I mean, I guess it will be Download but the lineup and layout just isn't exciting me. I don't know.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 pm

So now we have to speculate whose playing in 2016! ...who am I kidding this place is gonna fade into obscurity.
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:26 pm

2016 seems a long way off right now. Team Soni will no doubt be busy planning their Euro fests but I do hope they manage to get in early for next year and beat the competition to some of those sought after signings. I can't really say "it will have to be download then" because I'd rather not go and more than likely it would piss down all weekend and be the most miserable ever but they do have a few decent bands signed up that I'd like to see. I just hope some of them play down south while they are over here. There are some interesting one day fests. Camden Rocks was OK last year but I did think it was oversold and later in the evening it was impossible to get into some of the venues.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm sure they'll be in talks, and probably looking at 2016 with some of the ones they were after this year. Although it's not really a game where bookings can be made early. The agents for most bands will entertain talks at this stage to make rough plans, check demand etc... while considering what places they'll hit in upcoming tours, but most wouldn't want to make a decision this early. It's in their interest to wait and see what offers come in, play them off of each other to get as best a deal as possible. If they choose to do a weekend show on a specific date for soni in 2016, they aren't just ruining potential better deals with other UK festivals, but festivals across Europe over the same time that may offer them something better down the line that they can no longer fit in.

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:06 pm

I thought Camden Rocks was astonishingly good last year. The only act I didn't get into see was Ginger Wildheart, but to be honest, I had so much more fun than I deserved to have for £20 so I'll definitely be back this year.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Think that's always the risk with these multi-venue festivals. They will never really know the exact numbers that'll turn up to each venue for each act, and with them all being massively in capacity you'll always run the risk of overcrowding. But for £20, with the line up that was put out, I imagine most still find it value for money, and assuming you have a few back ups it's never too bad.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:23 am

Camden Rocks was insane value for money. I bought a ticket on the basis of Ginger Wildheart, didn't get in to see him, still considered it the best possible use of £20 it was possible to make. Sure, you may not get to see eveyrthing you intended, but the entire purpose of tyhe event is to promote stuff people wouldn't otherwise get to see, so missing out on stuff you know and stumbling into something completely new instead is an integral part of the experience. And I think you have to go in with that mindset - that it's a day of discovery and serendipity rather than a chance to see all your favourite bands on the cheap.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 am

The problem I have with festivals like Camden Rocks is that they follow the traditional formula of the later the day goes, the bigger the bands get (no surprise there) but that means most of the bands you are likely to know clash and if you want to change venues later in the day good luck getting into another venue. I think it would be a good idea to mix it up if you have multiple venues/stages and have differing running orders based on band sizes.

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 am

That would be a great way to completely defeat the purpose of the event, yes.

If you could spend the whole day watching only the top six or seven bands you already know, then its role as a platform for smaller bands would be completely undermined.

The bigger bands are there to sell you a ticket, but the idea is to get you in front of a bunch of new stuff. If it seems 'unfair' to you that you can't watch Ginger Wildheart AND Turbowolf AND Orange Goblin AND The Subways, remember that IT ONLY COSTS TWENTY QUID.

houston404

Postby houston404 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Not really, not everyone would be able to fit into a venue if say it went:

venue 1: large act
venue 2: small act
venue 3: small act

so those small bands would still have a captive audience (albeit a smaller one) and you would probably get more punters going to the festival as the perception of having to choose between which of the big bands they want to see is smaller. Rather than go "it's either x or Y and those smaller bands I've just heard of and free time" it would be "I can see x and y and some smaller bands I've just heard of".

So it's swings and roundabouts.

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Well I did enjoy Camden Rocks and it was a cheap ticket and I did stumble across (almost literally in some cases) some great bands I'd never seen/heard before but a few of our group wanted to see certain acts and there were huge queues outside the venues an hour or more before their scheduled start time so they had to give them a miss (and there were delays to the schedule).
It's always going to be this way even if there happens to be one huge venue for the biggest acts because people will simply camp there all day. I'd go again this year if I'm available as people say...it's only £20.

nomadc22

Postby nomadc22 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:04 pm

For those anywhere near Nottingham or Bristol at end of April, the Hit the Deck fest is a pretty good one dayer for £30 - Skindred, Cancer Bats and WSS plus more. Caught some pretty good new bands, and some favourites each time so far. Looks like it's the only fest for me this year
Sonisphere is the most magical time of the year! There will be beer, excellent sounds, and happiness all round :music-deathmetal: Share the magic! 1k912130

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Stuart Galbraith latest -

What are your plans for Sonisphere going forward?

We're already looking at 2016 and we have got a long list of territories that we're looking at. We're already talking to headliners and, if anything, the fact that we're taking 2015 off gives us a better lead time into 2016. Italy and Switzerland we are convinced will be successful. We're very happy that we have those in the bag. But we're now turning our attentions to 2016 and talking to acts already.
FMC Code - 1k949287

nomadc22

Postby nomadc22 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Sonisphere is the most magical time of the year! There will be beer, excellent sounds, and happiness all round :music-deathmetal: Share the magic! 1k912130

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:52 pm

ANXIETY wrote:AC/DC are fap, but Tool would have gotten me there in a heart beat.

This
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:59 pm

I think Soni aim too big! The festival is about 60K capacity so bands like AC/DC and Foo Fighters are really out of reach.

I'd say aim for headliners like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Offpsring, Queens Of The Stone Age, Prodigy etc. That would also mean less money so you could get a really good undercard as well and sell 60K tickets.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”