Announcements coming soon

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
nomadc22

Re: Announcements coming soon

Postby nomadc22 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:58 pm

metalicbear wrote:I'm not sure that Sonisphere are moving dates due to AC/DC, BST hit them big time this year, that would have been a major factor in moving as well.

Yeah, BST should have been a day at Soni. That would have made an (even more) awesome weekend
Sonisphere is the most magical time of the year! There will be beer, excellent sounds, and happiness all round :music-deathmetal: Share the magic! 1k912130

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:04 pm

I thought that when looking at the lineups and thinking "If that lineup replaced the Friday, it would be amazing", but looking back, I'm really glad it wasn't as the Friday was incredible.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:17 pm

mt96djc wrote:
There's an article online which says that Rockavaria is selling well, but Rock in Vienna and Der Ring are bombing so far, could all change in the new year, but it's interesting to see how the new events are doing.

Please could you link to these articles when you mention them? I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just interested.

No problemo - http://www.ksta.de/aus-der-nachbarschaf ... 81160.html

Says that Der Ring and Rock in Vienna have sold around 4,000 tickets so far, whereas Rockavaria has sold 16,000. Bare in mind this was a week ago, but with the majority of the lineup out, it's not pretty figures considering Der Ring has a capacity of 80,000.

They're predicting that 20,000 tickets will be sold and the event might fold.
FMC Code - 1k949287

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:29 pm

That article is all in like... Christ knows what... like when Jabba speaks in The Return of the Jedi and you have to read the words for what he's saying on the bottom of the screen.

nomadc22

Postby nomadc22 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Ooh, Chrome translate is fantastic - "here come a maximum of 20,000 people when the whole team not already bankrupt. which also would not be surprising".
OK...
Sonisphere is the most magical time of the year! There will be beer, excellent sounds, and happiness all round :music-deathmetal: Share the magic! 1k912130

CherryInHove

Postby CherryInHove » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm still not sure that I believe that a band called "Deez Nuts" has managed to get some level of success.

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:10 pm

metalicbear wrote:
mt96djc wrote:
There's an article online which says that Rockavaria is selling well, but Rock in Vienna and Der Ring are bombing so far, could all change in the new year, but it's interesting to see how the new events are doing.

Please could you link to these articles when you mention them? I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just interested.

No problemo - http://www.ksta.de/aus-der-nachbarschaf ... 81160.html

Says that Der Ring and Rock in Vienna have sold around 4,000 tickets so far, whereas Rockavaria has sold 16,000. Bare in mind this was a week ago, but with the majority of the lineup out, it's not pretty figures considering Der Ring has a capacity of 80,000.

They're predicting that 20,000 tickets will be sold and the event might fold.

Er, no it doesn't.

The comment regarding ticket sales in that piece is a quote from a FB post. Someone has basically said "only 4000 tickets sold, you'll be lucky to sell 20000. Surprised you're not bankrupt." It's the standard abuse from fans of other festivals, or people complaining about a lack of metulz, repeat bookings, etc. I have my suspicions the person's name maybe Schwarz Wasser....

The 16000 sales figure was from the festival's own FB account, was for the 3 festivals and was quoted on 7th November, 24 hours after going on sale.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Yeah my understanding was they put a few thousand tickets on sale for Der Ring at an "early bird price", which sold out instantly, I reckon that's the 4k, they would have sold even more since. I also reckon as it's DEAG's first year running them all they will be expecting to make a loss anyway.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:42 pm

CherryInHove wrote:I thought that when looking at the lineups and thinking "If that lineup replaced the Friday, it would be amazing", but looking back, I'm really glad it wasn't as the Friday was incredible.

I can say as someone who went to BST on the Friday and then soni on sat and sun I'd do it all over again.

Hopefully if soni is on it's not the 31st/1st/2nd as Volbeat >

houston404

Postby houston404 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:42 am

The AC/DC theory makes quite a bit of sense to me, explains the "umming and ahhing" from team soni and the reason why they'd hold back announcing. Plus might explain why Grun Helle etc are under a different branding, maybe they didn't want to link 3 new events with the expected conception would be "it's an AC/DC show with a festival bolted onto it" whereas the soni brand could do with that bump.

To be fair I can see why Der Ring might struggle, new festival in the crowded German market when Wacken has already sold out, give it a few years to establish itself and it will pick up....2009 Deja vu anyone? :lol:

I find it interesting that a lot of "heavy rock/metal" festivals with Muse/the band we're told are one of the biggest bands in rock but we're silly for not seeing that; are either struggling or not raving about tickets flying out the door. Maybe the gamble hasn't paid off and they aren't suited for the heavier festivals?
Oh joy another game of truth or troll
Your/You're, it's all the same to me

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:26 am

Muse were never going to do well at Download and it shows that Muse really aren't as big as people claim.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am

They are it;s just the rest of the DL lineup is gooseberry. KISS and Slipknot after they've just done a massive arena tour neither are exactly massive draws.

rockgeek

Postby rockgeek » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:16 pm

He's in troll mode - don't bite

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:26 pm

When isn't he?

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Very safe Download announcement, very....download.

Unless they can't get headliners I can't see no reason why Soni can't compete with DL next year, they are far from hitting it out of the park.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 pm

I disagree entirely. I said last year whoever gets Slipknot will be the successful festival, Slipknot are the golden goose this year.

Download also have Muse; the biggest British rock band in the last 10 years.

Kiss haven't played a UK festival for 7 years, throw in Faith No More and Judas Priest who could arguably headline, lots of bands who are breaking through and getting big like A Day to Remember, Black Stone Cherry, Black Veil Brides and so forth. There's nothing gooseberry about it and I bet Sonisphere approached most of these bands.
FMC Code - 1k949287

houston404

Postby houston404 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:12 pm

DL is going to sell ok but not exactly going to sell amazingly, most of those bands have either just done UK tours, play the fest regularly or in the case of JP and FNM rare. Unless that is the cream of the crop of European bands playing next year then Soni could compete I think.

Off the top of my head:
Twisted Sister, ZZ Top, Accept, Venom, Exodus, Korn, In Flames, Nightwish, NOFX, Satyricon, Terror, Snot, InMe, Alice Cooper

^ not currently playing any UK fest, are around at the time, put up a couple of headliners and it could give DL a good run for their money.

Obviously Soni might not be able to get headliners, those bands didn't want to play, are committed/unannounced for other fests or whatever. But I think Soni could come back next year if only because DL isn't exactly breaking that market.

Syxxpackid420

Postby Syxxpackid420 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 pm

metalicbear wrote:I Slipknot are the golden goose this year.

Man speaks sense.

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:42 pm

I have to agree with what's been said about DL's lineup. It's pretty good so far and much better than last year.
It should sell very well. Not really got much to get me to go there but that doesn't mean it's not a strong lineup.

Epic Failure

Postby Epic Failure » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:25 pm

CC Deville wrote:I have to agree with what's been said about DL's lineup. It's pretty good so far and much better than last year.
It should sell very well. Not really got much to get me to go there but that doesn't mean it's not a strong lineup.

It's not a super strong line up. It's not a terrible line-up. It's somewhere in between. Probably better than last year, but not dramatically so.
Stoppin and stayin, I would if I could

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:12 am

It's pretty meh. imo of course. Take Muse and FNM away and it becomes awful.

Gnarkill

Postby Gnarkill » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:14 am

They've chose bands of the usual level however quite a few are fan favourites (ffdp, adtr, lamb of god) and some are rarer and are often requested (FNM, JP, clutch, bodycount)

Plus Eagles of death metal will be selling me my ticket

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:17 am

hash pipe wrote:Take Muse and FNM away and it becomes awful.

That's true, although if you take away the top two from any festival day, then it suddenly looks pretty weak for obvious reasons. Mastodon subbing Airbourne or Gary Numan subbing Band of Skulls would make for a pretty dire Sonisphere.

metalicbear

Postby metalicbear » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:58 am

Epic Failure wrote:
It's not a super strong line up. It's not a terrible line-up. It's somewhere in between. Probably better than last year, but not dramatically so.

It's a better lineup than what Sonisphere has managed to organise.
FMC Code - 1k949287

houston404

Postby houston404 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am

metalicbear wrote:
Epic Failure wrote:

It's a better lineup than what Sonisphere has managed to organise.

wow, what happened to your usual optimism? :shock:

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”