So we've dodged a few bullets!

Have you booked your tickets yet? Who are you looking forward to seeing? Discuss everything and anything relating to Sonisphere here.
CherryInHove

Re: So we've dodged a few bullets!

Postby CherryInHove » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Do Download just do exclusive festival deals for some bands then? I know Ginger was pissed off last year that he wasn't allowed to have any of his side projects at Sonisphere due to exclusivity deal.

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:06 pm

With who they can I imagine. I'd expect that was something quite sepcific cause they know most of Ginger's gigs are booked through Kili so if there was no exclusiveness in the contract he'd end up there (and it was a poorer year for Download, so they needed it). I doubt they'd have much clout with Muse as an exclusive unless they paid well well over the odds, for a big headliner, but one who is a bit outside the demographic so probably not gonna draw in a massive massive crowd like AC/DC would etc...

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:17 pm

kipper64 wrote:With who they can I imagine. I'd expect that was something quite sepcific cause they know most of Ginger's gigs are booked through Kili so if there was no exclusiveness in the contract he'd end up there (and it was a poorer year for Download, so they needed it). I doubt they'd have much clout with Muse as an exclusive unless they paid well well over the odds, for a big headliner, but one who is a bit outside the demographic so probably not gonna draw in a massive massive crowd like AC/DC would etc...

Muse will do brilliantly with day ticketers and the more open-minded weekenders. And the flood of people leaving Marilyn Manson in disgust after five minutes, of course.

Not removing this from my signature until:

Sonisphere UK 2013 is confirmed: [WELP.]
Headliner announcements made: [NOPE.]
Alter Bridge booked: [NADA.]
Arcane Roots booked: [NEVER.]
Outkast booked: [HAHA, NO.]

The Angry Koala

Postby The Angry Koala » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:52 pm

First time I can recall DL putting day tickets on sale straight away. I know it's only limited numbers but seems like they've realised/accepted from people's initial reactions that the weekend's not gonna sell well. Almost a bit defeatist - as if they don't have much confidence in the overall festival line-up.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:19 pm

^ They booked KISS...

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I'd assume they know more Muse dates in the UK are coming, and also that a lot of Muse fans will go with day tickets over weekend ones. It would be silly to just put Saturday tickets up if they're doing that, so it makes sense to get them all out before Muse have a chance to announce anything else for the UK and substantially decrease the amount of people who'll pay to see them at Download.

Blackwater

Postby Blackwater » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Yeah Andy knows that weekend tickets aren't gonna sell well and most of the people i've seen over the internet just want friday tickets as saturday and sunday are atrocious.
ImageImage

BABYMETAL to headline Sonisphere 2015

kipper64

Postby kipper64 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Aye, I think that's the issue. Muse are a massive booking but they are going to polarize the usual download audience, and the rest of the bands aren't going to have a massive crossover into Muse's general fanbase I would have thought. Maybe ADTR a bit with them being relatively young and popular band, but Faith No More? Not so sure. Bands on other days like FFDP, Priest, Motley Crue, Kiss, Slipknot etc.. not really, and Black Stone Cherry? Again not so sure. Shikari on Sunday is the only one who I think are a good match and might entice some for the weekend.

I mean you have to think. Slipknot and Kiss are the headliners for the usual Download market. They'll have the biggest crossover, so alternatives are less important. I think even swapping Manson and BSC around would have proved much better, I think more people would be happy with Manson/Muse/Shikari as a weekend or someone different who would fit within that scope. You could have stuck BSC on the mainstage instead.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 am

Looking at the troll feed on their facebook page the announcements have really split the audience so far, you have the typical "this is a metulz fest" in one camp supporting the sat and saying SK & FFDP are the biggest bestest bands in the world. - I like Slipknot, I like FFDP, but no....just no

The casual attendees who think a bands size & popularity is directly relative to how good they will be live, raving over Muse because for them its dark & edgy. No to mention they will then tell everyone else they know "I went to see a heavy rock band". I think they should have put someone like rancid on before Muse to give those fans an extra treat... or death in a pit

Followed up by the die hard claiming DL have once again pulled out a stellar lineup by booking 3 of the most varied and epic headliners ever, and marveling at how AC always surpasses their expectations. My favorite comment from one of these people was "The music doesn't even matter, the weekend is worth £215 just for the atmosphere in the village and campsites alone" - I should go into business selling to fools like this

The day ticket scheme is really strange, Slipknot has sold out nearly all of its standing afaik, so its DL or no go on those sales. I think a good % of Kiss fans fall into that group that may watch them at their own show, but wouldn't go to a fest to see them. Which surely means that Muse are set to announce a few more dates very soon, and if they do end up playing another fest that is more suited for a Muse fan then DL stand to lose out unless they convince people to throw their money at them now.

Its a shame really, because the misses really likes Muse, and I would actually like to see them for the sake of it. I can't really justify the DL lineup so far tho, and having been to both fests multiple times then I get the feeling that the Soni fanbase would have been far more accepting of the mixed lineup and I also wouldn't have felt like I was missing out on another band to watch Muse.
Camp Bitchfist: Ozzfest 2002, Download 2004, Download 2005, Download 2006, Download 2007, Download 2008, Download 2009, Sonisphere 2010, Sonisphere 2011, Download 2012, Download 2013, Sonisphere 2014, Download 2016!

PurpleDemon

Postby PurpleDemon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 am

I'll give you the same advice I'm giving anyone who wants to see Muse kill it at a festival but isn't sold on the rest of the Download bill. Rock Werchter.

Or Isle of Wight, assuming they're playing there. They're definitely going to announce bands soon s tickets went on sale this morning, and I can't imagine Reading or Glastonbury has them this year (or if they do they won't be announcing it yet). Sonisphere definitely won't have them, so unless BST has them I'm assumming it'll be Isle of Wight or stadium show announcements coming very soon.

hash pipe

Postby hash pipe » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:28 am

Muse stadium dates plox

billytheweed

Postby billytheweed » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:42 pm

I honestly think muse will have stadium dates , and i reckon they will play a big gig at knebworth 2 weeks before sonisphere , like they attempted with RHCP in 2012. i reckon this is why kili let download have them , knowing they would be able to announce them at knebworth and sell 250,000 tickets for the weekend , i cant think of another reason why download would put day tickets on sale so early other than to capture muse fans, sonisphere would not need to put them on at sonisphere and could get 3 other headliners lets say for example - SOAD Sabbath and def leppard and still make a bucket of cash from the big gigs
ImageImage
' hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'
FMC code1k910248

ThornDavis

Postby ThornDavis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 pm

PurpleDemon wrote:I'll give you the same advice I'm giving anyone who wants to see Muse kill it at a festival but isn't sold on the rest of the Download bill. Rock Werchter.

Two big things put me off going to a festival abroad. The first is the idea of having to pack up my gear on a Monday and get on an aeroplane. I can just about handle a train journey in that state. Airports and aeroplanes are a lot more intimidating.

The second is that all the European festivals have headline bands playing til 2.30. TWO-THIRTY! I'm 37 years old for christ's sake - the only reason I'm ever awake at two-thirty in the morning is to rescue someone who's rolled over in their sleep and gotten an Optimus Prime wedged between two of their vertabrae.

CC Deville

Postby CC Deville » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Rock Werchter is near Brussels right? If that's the case you can be in Brussels in 2 hours from St Pancras (for < £100 inc train to anywhere in Belgium) and Werchter looks like it's an ok bus/train ride from there. But that's still 4 or 5 hours travelling through Europe even if the excellent beer in Belgium would make it a little easier. I'm not convinced though. It always rains in Belgium.

ANXIETY

Postby ANXIETY » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:46 am

CC Deville wrote:Rock Werchter is near Brussels right? If that's the case you can be in Brussels in 2 hours from St Pancras (for < £100 inc train to anywhere in Belgium) and Werchter looks like it's an ok bus/train ride from there. But that's still 4 or 5 hours travelling through Europe even if the excellent beer in Belgium would make it a little easier. I'm not convinced though. It always rains in Belgium.

When I went Werchter I had to sleep outside of my tent everynight because it was so hot. That was all weekend, not a drop of rain. I also did the festival including travel in under what I paid for Download the same year. Plus you get two headliners a night. It's v good.
FMC code:1k932434 Use it ;)

Return to “General Sonisphere Discussion”